Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Gabriel Firebrand

 

On a quiet home on Northern Ireland lived the Anthony family, a family of three. A husband and wife with their only child, a girl named Amy. She was still a teenager, in high school years. Known for her curly and "perfect" (as her classmates described) golden hair, she was christened "Miss Golden Locks" by her friends.

 

 

Her hair was a bright golden yellow, with every strand curled to perfection. She had neon green eyes, the kind that when you stare at them, its colors would take your mind and bend your imagination as if you were standing in the middle of a luscious forest.

 

Her lips were ruby-colored, which may make you mistake it for actual rubies. Her face was as beautiful as the sky during daytime, as beautiful as the sky was during nighttime, as beautiful as anything you can ever think of.

 

She was truly the essence of beauty, but it wasn't just her friends at school who thought this, but everyone who knew her thought she was a goddess. Her gaze was hyponitizing, her voice was soft and high-pitched, as soft as a playing of the harp. She was an eye-catcher everywhere she went, the envy of every young female, and the dream of every young male.

 

 

Fortunately, she knew better than to let her God-given beauty give herself an ego. She was surprisingly humble when being complimented about her seemingly rare beauty. Not only that, but she was an intelligent girl as well. She need not study feverishly for tests or exams, as she had a very sharp memory. She can remember what she had for breakfast three weeks ago, as well as what she wore while eating. Undeniably, she really was perfect.

 

 

But her life wasn't.

 

 

Her parents were very poor, they only lived in a low-class apartment, and her parents' odd jobs couldn't seem to pay for the rent, let alone Amy's tuition fees. She wanted to help the family, but she didn't know what to do. Her parents always shunned every suggestion she would give. Her parents were always angry with her for butting in their financial woes, though she was only trying to help.

 

Her father would always shout at her for every little mistake she would do, no matter how minor or irrelevant to the main task she was given with. Her mother would say that her father is a naturally cold-blooded person, though even her mother herself would sometimes get angry at Amy for the same reasons. Her parents want their problems fixed without any help, even help from their own daughter.

 

 

She wanted to run away from it all.

 

 

"Stupid life! Stupid life!"

 

 

She ran crying outside her home one night. She ran and ran and ran, not realizing she was already lost. She was in the middle of the street and a car was coming straight toward her. She hurriedly jumped out of the way, and landed on the sidewalk. Unfortunately she landed on the floor face first, and the floor was muddy. Her skirt, shirt and jacket were now covered in mud, and her golden locks were now drenched in dirt.

 

 

"This is a fate worse than death. I should have just let myself get trampled by that car."

 

 

 

She spoke to herself in between sobs. She took off her jacket and wiped her face and arms with it. She sat down and stared at the ground. Then, reality began to sink in for Amy. She was alone. She's no longer home. She looked around her, cars moving left and right. Street signs she were unfamiliar with. She was lost, and she had no idea how to get home.

 

 

She inspected the pockets on her jacket, then the pockets on her dress. "Gah. Not even a damn pound in here."She had no money at all. She inspected again, pushing her hand as deep as possible. Still no luck.

"I guess I'm gonna have to walk. I hope my feet can carry me wherever the hell I'm headed."

 

Her ultra-sharp memory could've saved herself in a situation like this, but unfortunately, she was not paying attention to where she was going. She just ran and ran until she grew tired. As tired as she was with her life.

 

She decided to walk, and try find her way back home. She crossed several streets, but still she didn't know where she was.

 

Sadly, she found herself again sitting on a sidewalk, staring blankly at the ground, tears slowly flowing from her eyes. All this time, she never blinked, all the more her tears came down her cheeks.

 

"What did I do to deserve this?" she thought to herself. From exhaustion, Amy found herself now limping as she tried to find her way home. Lost, tired, hungry, sleepy, and desperate. She had no choice but to sleep as soon as possible or faint. She found a dumpster in a back alley. She really had no choice here.

 

 

She barely had any sleep at all, as she had trouble getting used to the rotten smell of her new "bed". When she woke the next morning, she came to the realization that sleeping in the dumpster made no sense at all, as it deprived her of more sleep. "I'd take sidewalk over dumpster any day." was the first thing she said waking up.

 

Getting out of the dumpster, the sun had just rose. She looked at herself, and found out she was even smellier and dirtier than ever before! "This stinks. And it's not just me."

 

Off she goes to her journey back home. That is, if she could ever find it.

She decided no longer to put her memory to good use, seeing there was no use as she was lost anyway. She decided to put one foot in front of the other. Just one foot in front of the other, again and again. Mindlessly crossing streets and passing by. She couldn't care less if she dies in the middle of the street.

 

 

The whole day, she walked and walked. Never did she stop for food, or for a rest of her aching feet.

 

"Okay. I already know I'm lost when the signs around here are in Russian. And I still know I'm in Ireland. At least until I think I am."

 

She pretended to read the signs all around her, pretending she understood them, even though they were in strange characters and text.

 

"I think this one says 'laundry shop'. And, I guess this one says 'cheesecake factory'." She says to herself, giggling a little.

 

"Oh, God. I think I've gone insane. Lost, hungry and laughing at Russian signs and symbols? This isn't how I'd picture myself on a sunny Saturday morning."

 

At last, she decided to rest for a short while. She found a bench with no occupants.

 

 

She sat down and massaged her feet, while staring at the buildings around her.

"Is it just me or does this place look abandoned? Buildings all look like they've been hit by a tornado or something. Not to mention, there's trash all over the place."

 

No people were around. No cars were around. Nothing was around except for buildings. Just buildings.

 

 

Her stomach grumbled. It was obvious no food was to be found here, so she headed north. Sadly, more abandoned buildings were there. It seemed the road home was much longer than she thought.

 

 

She stopped in her walking, when a wolf suddenly appeared. Her body began to shiver, while the tiny hairs on her arms stood up. Sweat was slowly pouring down from her face, and her neon-green eyes slowly poured out tears. The wolf saw her in a state of shock, and he moved towards her. Very, very slowly.

 

 

Slower than the girl's tears, slower than the girl's sweat. The wolf licked his lips. It seems predatorial intentions were crawling in the head of this wolf, and Amy knew exactly what the wolf was thinking. She tried moving, but she couldn't move. She literally was frozen in her tracks.

 

"I pray that evil is not on this wolf's head."

 

 

Chapter two is next.



© 2011 Gabriel Firebrand


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. Totally detailed. You're so awesome. I hope I'll be as good as you.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
1 Review
Added on July 11, 2011
Last Updated on July 11, 2011


Author

Gabriel Firebrand
Gabriel Firebrand

Gotham City



About
My ultimate dream is to be a comic book writer. How can I do that, when there are many hindrances in the way of my dream? First off, I live in the Philippines, so if I actually become a comic bo.. more..

Writing
29 29

A Poem by Gabriel Firebrand