Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Gabriel Firebrand

The wolf moved, inch by inch, closer and closer towards the terrified Amy. She felt as if death itself was slowly creeping towards her, and she couldn't even move a single muscle. Looking at the eyes of the beast, she knew that the wolf's mind was already, and that his intentions were as clear as day. The two were now staring at each other, face to face, with the wolf looking up, and the girl looking down. The wolf began to sniff the girl's legs, then he circled around her several times.

 

"Hm. You're not Russian, are you? I can tell by your scent."

"Excuse me? You can talk?"

"Of course I can, human."

 

Amy could not believe what she was hearing.

 

"But, how could--"

"We hide it from you and your race. All animals can speak what their so-called 'masters' can speak, but only if we please."

"I can't believe this."

"Neither can I. An Irish like yourself in this part of the country. And quite a beauty, I might add."

 

"I... I got lost. I ran away from home."

"I see. It is obvious from your muddy clothes."

 

She could no longer bear the noise inside her mind.

 

 

"PLEASE DON'T EAT ME! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! I'M ONLY SIXTEEN AND I'M AN ONLY CHILD! PLEASE! I'M STILL TOO YOUNG TO DIE!"

 

 

The wolf laughed at her panic.

 

 

"My dear. Why would I eat you? You can consider me a friend. And, besides, I'm not hungry yet."

 

Amy let out a sigh of relief.

 

"Wh-where am I, wolf? Am I too far away from Dublin?"

"Sadly, yes. Too far away, I might add. Right now, we're at Freedom City. If America has a Chinatown, you can call this Ireland's Russiatown. Though this Russiatown has been abandoned long ago."

"I see that, wolf. But, what's an animal like you doing in here?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. Freedom City has been ruled by wolves more than ten years ago. It has since been considered No Man's Land."

"Where can I get a ride home? I badly need to go back."

"I'm afraid I can't tell you, for I have no idea. I can however walk with you until we find it."

"Are you sure? It'd be such a hassle to bring a wolf like you out of its territory."

"Don't worry, little missy. I'll be able to find my way back. We have a strong sense of smell."

 

And so, Amy found herself a companion. They walked away from the abandoned city now overrun by wolves, and they soon found themselves in a jungle.

 

 

"There's nothing but trees in here, wolf. Are you sure this is the right way towards the city?"

"I'm not so sure, but by the smell, I say this is the right place for a little snack."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

 

The wolf turned his attention to the girl, and by then, she knew exactly what he meant.

 

"Stay back. I'm warning you." She tried backing off.

"I'm sorry, but I'm awfully hungry. We've been walking for hours and you're the only thing I can eat at this time."

And with that, the wolf roared and pounced itself towards her. She was able to evade, but the wolf was not giving up. A chase began.

"I'm at an advantage, little lady. You're obviously very tired."

But Amy continued running, only with a few feet from the wolf's grasp.

 

"You're damn persistent, little girl! Halt now or I'll rip your limbs off!"

 

She ran even faster, with the wolf's threats becoming motivation. She didn't want to end up the wolf's food. She decided to lose the wolf with scent. A few minutes later, when the coast was clear and the wolf was nowhere to be found, she spread leaves all over her jacket and shirt. She now lost her dirty smell, and now she smelled like the trees around her.

 

 

She ran more and more, to make sure the wolf was surely out of her trail. She climbed up a tree, and luckily there were fruits hanging in it. She grabbed an apple and started munching away. After she had finished, she climbed down from the tree. She looked around and realized the wolf was no longer chasing her. A smile slowly formed across her soft lips, and her perfectly round pupils lit up. She knew she was safe.

 

 

"Now to find my way back home."

 

She decided to head north, seeing that was the only sensible way to go. Soon enough, she stumbled into a house, however it was not her own. Seeing no problem if she were to ask help from the people inside, she knocked on the door.

 

There was no reply.

 

 

She tried knocking again. Still no reply.

 

 

"Let me try out back."

 

And she tried for the back door. Strange, it was open. She decided to step in without notifying anyone of her presence.

 

She entered the house, and when she walked inside, she was at their kitchen.

 

She walked a little more forward, and she found herself at the dining table.

 

There were three bowls of porridge, one big, one normal-sized and one small.

 

"Hello? Hello? Anyone there? Your bowls of porridge are getting cold over here."

No one answered back.

 

She sat on the first chair, which was about twice her size. She decided to taste the porridge that was idly placed in front of her. She took a sip.

 

"AHHH! Oh, God!" She dropped the spoon and spit the porridge out on instict.

 

"This porridge is too hot. No wonder it was sitting out here in the open."

 

She decided to move onto the second chair, it was more comfortable than the first one, though it still didn't feel right for her.

 

She tried the porridge. "I hope this doesn't burn my tongue."

 

She took a sip. She dropped the sppon and spit the porridge out in disgust.

 

"Yuck! This porridge is too cold! I think this was left out in the open for too long."

 

She tried the last chair. She scooted over and fixed her seat. "Hey, this feels just right!"

 

She took a sip of the porrdige. She waited for some horrible taste, but it never came.

 

She swallowed the porridge. "That tasted good! Hmm, I'm sure the folks here don't mind if I take another sip."

 

And, so she sipped again. And again. And again. And again and again and again and again, until the bowl was empty.

 

"Whaaat? Out of porridge already?" She tipped the bowl upisde down to make sure no porridge was left. And there wasn't any left.

 

She stretched and yawned.

 

"That was a nice little meal. Now let's see what's upstairs."

 

And with that, she headed upstairs.

 

Chapter three is next.



© 2011 Gabriel Firebrand


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on July 11, 2011
Last Updated on July 11, 2011


Author

Gabriel Firebrand
Gabriel Firebrand

Gotham City



About
My ultimate dream is to be a comic book writer. How can I do that, when there are many hindrances in the way of my dream? First off, I live in the Philippines, so if I actually become a comic bo.. more..

Writing
29 29

A Poem by Gabriel Firebrand