Chapter(5) The Time Line Paradox.

Chapter(5) The Time Line Paradox.

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN



Trent opened his eyes with difficulty, he was still on the couch. The room was dim. As his eyes began to focus he could see the half-empty bottle of bourbon sitting mockingly on the table. There was a knocking at the door.

" Maggie is that you?” He had that familiar old feeling in his head as he crossed the room. The knocking stopped. Where was the door latch? It took a second or two for him to remember where he was as his hand went up and he found the plate by the side of the door. He was still leaning on the pad with his head down as the door slid open and the bright white light flooded in. Trent put his arm up to shield his eyes against it. “Jeez, what's with all these lights?” He couldn't see anything.

“Good morning Carlton.” Camilles' voice was as bright as the lights but gentle on his ears. “May I come in Mr Trent?”

“Sure doll, make like you own the place. Oh yeah, I forgot, you DO own the place.” Camille stepped across the threshold and the door slid closed behind her.

“Now Carlton we are not going to continue with this silly attitude today, are we?” Camille took his arm as she entered the room and turned him around. “I see you managed to find your dispenser. Did you manage to eat something too?” Trent leaned on the sink, turned on the faucet and splashed cold water over his face and head.


He felt a touch on his arm as the dame handed him a towel. It seemed quite normal as he reached out and took it from her.

“Thanks Mags.” He'd said it without thinking. Camille didn't comment on his mistake.

" You will find a clean set of clothes in the that drawer...” She said pointing to the drawer in the sink unit. " ...and I think you should take a shower too, everything you need is waiting for you in there.” Again she pointed to the small washroom. " You will notice we've added a shower to make things a little easier for you Mr Trent. While you are doing that I shall arrange some breakfast for you.” Trent stood up straight and used the small kitchen towel to dry his face before throwing it across the room for it to land on the couch., old habits are hard to break. His head felt like hell, again. Camille didn't wait for him to answer, she took him by the arm again and walked him to the washroom door. Trent didn't argue he simply closed the door behind him. A few seconds later Camille heard the sounds of water splashing as Trent stood beneath the soothing cascade. Pleased with her efforts Camille allowed herself a little smile of satisfaction. " Please don't take too long Mr Trent we have a busy day ahead of us.” She sat down on a chair and waited for him to finish.

" Listen babe I gotta get dressed so if you could come back in about ten minutes.” Camille rose from the chair and started towards the exit door.

“Very well Mr Trent, I shall return in ten minutes please be dressed and ready.” Camille raised her hand, the door slid open and she stepped out into the corridor once again. Minutes later a wet and naked Trent walked out into the room still drying himself with a large soft towel. He opened the draw and took out a pile of clothes. 'She's thought of everything.' Trent mused as he lifted the neat bundle from the drawer and moved over to the couch. A couple of minutes later Trent was dressed in smart clean clothes and as he put a foot on the chair to tie the shoe lace the door slid open again. Trent turned his head to look at her.

“Well well Mr Trent, you certainly look more like a gentleman detective this morning.” Camille crossed to the room, and as she opened the icebox the light lit her face. She placed her hand on the pad and spoke softly. By the time he'd finished tying his shoelaces Camille had placed a plate of pancakes on the table with a small bottle of what looked like maple syrup and a cup of steaming coffee. “Please, come and eat Mr Trent.”  She gestured towards the food on the table and he sat down in front of the plate of food. It smelled great.


Trent squirted a wavy line of sticky gold syrup across the pancakes, picked up the fork and broke off a portion of pancake. He paused just long enough to look at it before he took a first mouthful. Not bad, not bad at all he thought. Camille sat down on the other side of the table. Trent had some questions going through his mind and was waiting for the moment to ask her. Trent took a sip of coffee before he finally spoke.

“Thank you for this Camille.” Trent hesitated before continuing. “I'd like to ask you something personal, is that allowed?” Camille was curious to know what it was that Trent was going to ask her. He took another sip of coffee and then looked her in the face. " Do you people, robots, need to eat.... or drink?” Trent sat facing Camille and he was really looking at her. Her Rich shiny auburn hair and her lovely bright blue eyes set in soft creamy porcelain face. He could appreciate she really was quite beautiful. Camille smiled.

“To answer your question, I, that is we, do have the ability to eat and drink. However it is not necessary for our daily functions. I will join you for breakfast if it will make you feel more at ease.”  He put another forkful of pancake into his mouth followed by another sip of coffee.

“No it's okay, we're good, I just wondered. Tell me Camille, what's really going on here? I mean I know I'm not back home, okay, but this is all starting to weird me out. It's like I'm living in the Twilight zone.”  Trent paused to refill his mouth. Camille continued to smile.

“You see Mr Trent we, that is the android populations, well we NEED you to do something for us.” She hesitated a second to see if he would react. Trent took another sip of coffee and another forkful of pancake. He was feeling better with each swallow.

“Yeah, Ok. Go on.” He had to admit despite all the scary stuff, with him having been a cop, stuff like this naturally intrigued him. Camille was still sat upright in the chair. " Camille. Do you have to sit like a statue? Relax doll it'll make me feel less like I'm a prisoner waiting for the interrogation to start.”  Her body visibly slackened off some and he guessed that was as good as it was going to get so Trent returned her smile.

“I shall continue then Mr Trent. In the year 1942, seven years into your personal time line future....Do you follow me Carlton?” It was strange but despite his slight headache he understood her perfectly so far.

“Yeah I guess, let's hear it all doll.”

“In 1942, a scientific man called Isaac Asimov will publish a short story called ' Runaround'.


In this story Mr Asimov will create and write down the 'The Three laws of Robotics'. These three laws will later form the organising principles and unifying themes for all future robotic development.” She was using some long words again but he had understood, mostly, what she was saying.

“Okay, I think I got it. Some guy writes a law.”

 “Yes exactly. Because of these laws, all cybernetic...”

“Whoooa... Cyber WHAT?” She was using big words again.

“Sorry it means robots, you know android life forms?” Trent nodded and she carried on. " Well all androids are programmed adhering to those principles even today. Does this make any sense to you Mr Trent? "

“So this guy writes some rules about robots. Later on the rules are used to build robots, right?”

“Basically you are correct. However these are not just rules. The laws were created to protect human beings from being hurt by any future robot developments.” It all seemed like a good idea to Trent.

“Where do I fit into this, I've never heard of this guy.” 

“Quite right Carlton, you don't know him, not yet. But you and he are connected and your paths WILL cross, again.” Camille leaned forward across the table as she spoke and looked him square in the eyes. " Mr Trent I'm sure you are aware of a group of villains you know as the 42 Gang, in Brooklyn?” Those words hit him like a bag of ice, he stopped chewing and swallowed hard before he found his voice.

“What do you know about them...” He was agitated and she had his full attention now. “...and what have they got to do with this chap Astimoth?”

“As- i- mov, Mr Trent, Asimov, please pay attention. As you know the 42 gang was a group of teenage hoodlums and thugs in Brooklyn during your prohibition years.” This doll had done her homework.

“You will not know that some of these young hoodlums were later recruited by the gangs of Chicago after your time as a police officer. Some of them went to work for the Chicago crime bosses and later they would become syndicate members themselves.”  Camille was telling him stuff that hadn't happened yet but Trent was paying real attention. “Some years ago in your world Mr Trent, you were a police officer and you were given information about a store of illegal whiskey, is that not so?” He stopped eating and looked up from the plate, his eyes flicking from left to right searching her face for more information.


“Seems to me you know the answers before asking the questions.” Thoughts were bouncing around in his head. He didn't know what to think or how to answer her.

“We also know that you spent several years trying to find the person responsible for the ambush that killed your best friends, and despite killing many gangsters you never found the one person you were looking for.” 

“If you know who it is tell me now and get me back there.” He'd already jumped up and kicked back the chair. He was angry. Memories flooding back were causing Trent real pain again.

“My dear Carlton please sit back down and calm yourself. I am here to help you in other ways.” Right at that moment the only help he wanted was to get back and take care of business. Camille could see he was ready to jump off. “Please Carlton, I thought you understood that any actions you make in your time will affect the future of that time line? Killing that person will not bring back your partner but it will change the history of your country. You must not interfere with that particular person's time line.” Trent was back at the table and stood leaning forward on his outstretched arms. He knew she could see the anger in his face.

“But if you know who it is why can't you tell me?” Years of pain and frustration showed in his eyes. Camille put her cold hand on his. It didn't seem so strange this time.

“You see Carlton; in 1935 Mr Asimov will be 15 years old. He will be attending the Seth Low School in Brooklyn. A 42 gang member will try to rob Mr Asimov as he leaves to return home in the evening and in the struggle Mr Asimov will be killed.” Trent took a last sip of coffee, his mind was clearing and he calmed down enough to answer her. He was thinking like a detective again.

“So if this kid Asimov gets killed how does he write these laws you told me about, years later.” 

“That is exactly why we need you Mr Trent. You were there, but you did nothing, you were supposed too, but you were too drunk.” Trent tried to recall being near the school but he couldn't remember it.

“I don't remember that.”

“I told you that you were drunk. It all happened only a few feet away from you, but don't worry this time you WILL help Mr Asimov.”

“Hang on a minute, you said in 1935 but it's 1937, at least back home it is.”


“You are going back to 1935 Mr Trent. We are giving you a chance to relive the last two years and hopefully you will do some things differently.”

“You gotta be kiddin' me. You mean you're gonna send me back...” Trent waved his arms in the air towards the wall behind him, he wasn't not sure why.  “...in time just to save this kid.”  Camille stopped smiling again.

“In essence Mr Trent that is correct.”

“Why me, why can't you just go back and stop the kid from leaving school or do something yourself.”

“We are limited in what we can do in the past Mr Trent, there are rules, rules that protect the time lines.” He'd understood that much at least.

“So all I gotta do is stop this kid from getting killed. I gotta kill this hood before he gets to this kid Asimov right.”

“No Mr Trent you will not kill this man. There is little danger for you and you can save the boy without violence.” Trent wasn't at all sure about this plan. Going back in time, well, back to his time, to stop a guy get killed so that he can write a book. Trent still wasn't sure about this job, about what this dame was asking him to do. He was sure about one thing though, he should've asked for more than 10 bucks a day.

“Ok so let's say I believe all this time line, time travel, stuff. Let's say I do save this guy Asimov for you, what happens to me then?”

“You, Mr Trent, will marry and get to live a long and happy life. You will start a family and a time line of your own and one that is still running today.” 

“Me, married? start a family, I gotta find a doll first who'll have me.” 

“That my dear Carlton WILL happen. It has happened. Your descendants are down below on the Earth right now living happy fulfilled lives.”

“And if I don't do this thing, what would happen?”

“Well, if Mr Asimov never writes the The Three Laws, all future robotic developments would be uncontrolled. This space station will probably not exist and I would not be sitting here with you now in this place.” 

Trent was really confused. Not sitting with him now, what the hell kind of double talk was this.

“So if I don't help this guy, you won't exist is that it?”

“In a nut shell you are correct Mr Trent.” He was feeling like a nut job himself.


“But you DO exist.” Trent replied. He was trying to follow her train of thought but he was confused.

“Precisely. Therefore... ...?????” She waited for Trent to respond.

“Therefore... ... what? Help me out here.” 

“Therefore, Mr Trent, it means that you DO go back and help Mr Asimov, or we wouldn't be here. Would we?”

He was already confused but now his head was working overtime. It was obvious he wasn't going to make much sense out of it so he turned back to Camille.

“You better tell me how I did it, how I do it, seeing as it already happened, you'll have a record, right?”

“It's very simple Mr Trent. You will find yourself going down the steps to the concourse in front of the school. At the bottom of the steps you will see the young Mr Asimov standing facing a man with a gun. All you have to do is shout ' Stop Police'.”

“And that will do it? He's going to just run away?” He didn't believe her.

“That's exactly what will happen, and if it doesn't, well, we can always bring you back and do it all again.” Trents' face turned white and dropped, Camille watched him.

" Only joking Mr Trent.” Trent didn't speak for a few seconds he was still going over the information in his mind. 

“Why can't I just shoot this hoodlum? Seems to me it'll save everyone a lot of trouble.” 

“That cannot happen. You must understand that the future of that particular persons' time line MUST remain unchanged. I can tell you that many years later you will read about this person in the newspapers. He will be acting on behalf of your government. No this person must not be harmed.” Trent wasn't sure at all about this new information but he was resigned to follow his fate.

“Seems I got no choice. When do I get to go back?” Without a word Camille rose up from her chair and moved towards the door. She stopped before touching the wall pad, half turned to look at him as she replied.

“Soon Mr Trent, soon. In the mean time why don't you take a stroll around and explore this wonderful space village that your descendant designed.” The door hissed open and she was gone in an instant. What did she mean about his descendant? Trent grabbed the dark glasses and left the room, office, whatever the hell it was. He wandered for a few minutes down a long corridor, a couple of people passed him without even noticing he was there.


As he rounded a corner the Corridor changed. It was less bright and the floor was a grey green colour, his feet stopped squeaking. There were a few pictures of brightly coloured star nebulae on the corridor walls. At the end of the corridor he could make out the shape of a door. The usual panel was on the wall. He put his hand on the panel. The door slid back with a slight hiss and he was staring into a large room. People were sat around tables and a few were sat on stools by a bar, and there were windows. Trents' eyes were immediately drawn to the blue and white ball floating outside. A gentle noisy hum filled the room as people chatted to each other. Somewhere behind the chatter he could make out soft music playing. A few faces turned to see who had entered the room but they just as quickly returned to their own business. Some of the occupants had drinks in their hands; a few had plates of food on the tables in front of them. He couldn't tell if they were real humans or robots. Maybe they were both. Along one wall, facing the windows, was a long bar top looking much like the bar tops back home. He went over and sat on a tall padded stool. There was a guy behind the bar drying a glass. He looked real but Trent couldn't tell and he sure wasn't going to kiss him to find out.

“What can I get you sir?” The barmans' voice seemed normal, he looked normal, maybe he was normal.

“You got a double bourbon on the rocks?”

“Yes sir, Jack Daniels, right?” Trent wondered if everyone here knew about him .

“Thanks, yeah.” Trent nodded. The barman continued to dry the glass in his hands as Trent turned to look around at the occupants of the room. A couple were sat near the other end of the bar. The dame laughed as the guy spoke. Most of the customers here looked to be about the same age group. The bar guy turned away and returned in just a few seconds glass in hand.

“Your drink sir.” He said as he placed a napkin on the bar and placed the drink on top of the napkin. Nice to think they'll still be serving drinks this way in the future Trent thought.  He took a slow sip, really cold. He was looking across the room at the bright blue ball floating outside when a female voice caught his attention.

“You will be Mr Trent I presume.” Trent turned to see a blond bombshell in a tight green body suit standing just inches away. Slim, trim and definitely his type.


“That's what my mother always believed.” Trent quipped. “What can I help you with?” Not an original line but it was the best he could come up with at short notice.

“Well you could ask a girl to join you for a drink.”  The barkeep was already on the other side of the bar waiting for an order. Trent motioned for her to sit on the stool next to him. As she sat easily on the stool the green suit pulled even tighter around her very shapely legs and body. Trent raised his eyes back up and looked into a pair of stunning blue eyes.

“Well, what would you like miss?” He gave her a little smile, the doll held out her hand for him to shake.

“Alexandra, very pleased to meet you Mr Trent, I'll have the same as you if that's ok.”  Trent gently shook the cold soft hand, damn not real he thought as he turned to face the barkeep.

“Sure thing doll, excuse me, 'Alexandra'. Barkeep same again for me and one for the lady if you please.” She was a real honey this new babe and Trent wanted to make a good impression. Even though he knew it wasn't going anywhere using a few manners couldn't hurt.

“Shall we sit at that table over there?” The doll turned her head and indicated to a table by a window. Trent looked at the barkeep again.

" That's alright sir I'll bring your drinks right over.” Trent moved off his stool and held out his hand for the doll to take and again the pretty hand was placed in his as she slid delicately off her stool. Trent held on to it until they reached the table where he pulled out a chair for her. Before there drinks arrived the girl stood up again and offered her hand to Trent as she said.

“I would like to show you something Mr. Trent.” Trent took her hand and stood up, he was thinking the day had started weird but it was definitely looking up, or down, he wasn't exactly sure which way was up.

“Mr Trent can you see that small plaque on the wall over there.” She made a motion with her hand, he had to look hard but he could make out a small rectangular plaque by a viewing window. The dame said.

“Please come and read it with me Mr Trent, I think it will interest you.” Without taking his eyes off the sign on the wall they walked over towards the window. As he got nearer to it Trent could see there was an inscription engraved on the plaque. The inscription read. 'Dedicated to the memory of Dr. Septimus Trent for his pioneering work on artificial gravity plating.' Trent reached out and traced his finger along the line of words as he read it again.

“So who was this Septimus Trent?”


“That, Mr Carlton Trent is your eight times great grandson. He is your descendant.” Trent turned to her.

“He's my what? My grandson eight times removed, but that's not possible I'm not even married.”

“But you will be Mr Trent, you will be.” The doll gave him a huge knowing smile. “Mr Septimus Trent invented Electrograv plating and he also helped to design and built the first off world life habitat with using electrograv flooring.”

“These off-world life things and this plating stuff, what are they exactly?” 

“You are in one right now Mr Trent. This one is far more advanced than the earlier types of course but we all are grateful to you for giving us this future.” Trent was feeling strangely proud even though he had no idea why he should. When they returned to the table the barkeep noted they were now seated and took the drinks to the table. Trent had some questions but first he needed another shot of Bourbon, he still had half his first glass so he lifted it up towards the dame.

“Here's to you doll.” He downed it in one.  The dame lifted her glass, smiled and took a gentile sip then placed it silently onto the table. Looking up at the Barkeep Trent asked.

“Say man can I get some food here?” He was feeling hungry again. The barkeep nodded.

“Yes sir I'll bring you a menu right over.”

Trent took another sip, inside he was smiling to himself.

“So, this electro stuff? What's that all about?” He asked the doll.

“Your ancestor, so to speak....” She was smiling as she said it. “...well he invented a form of metalic sheeting that could produce an artificial magnetic field. It was so strong it acted like gravity on earth.” Trents' face didn't change expression and the doll could see all her words had flown past him without comprehension. “Okay. Let me explain.”

“Yeah that would be a good way to start.” Said Trent nodding his head slightly.

“You understand about Gravity do you Mr Trent?”

“Yes...of course....I'm not that stupid.” He'd heard about it and read some bits and pieces and he knew about Newton dropping an apple on someones head or some such.

“No of course not Mr Trent I didn't mean to imply anything.”

“It's okay you carry on I'm listening.”

“Electrograv Plating was a real breakthrough for the space flight industry.


You see before this invention whenever anyone went outside the earths' gravity field they would become weightless and float about making it difficult to complete tasks and to move from place to place inside a vehicle. For the first time it allowed people to move about in a space vehicle just as though they were back on the earth. Of course at first it had a very limited use as it was a very expensive material to manufacture and could only be fitted to small floor areas in a ship.”

“They used it in ships?”

“NO, no Mr Trent not sea going ships, Space ships, small vessels here in space that circled the earth. It is where much research was done before the long duration spaceflights were possible. You see before this invention if people stayed for too long without gravity their bones would become softer and their bodies would begin to deteriorate. Do you understand Mr Trent?” In fact Trent was very pleased with himself because he'd understood almost everything she'd told him so far.

“So my ancestor invented this floor stuff?”

“Yes, of course that was many centuries ago now but it was his invention that allowed all of this to be built, and as you can see things have advanced a very long way since then" She looked around the room and gestured with her arms wanting demonstrate the achievement all around them.

 Trent looked around the room and gave a brief nod of understanding, took another mouthful of Bourbon and asked.

“Is there more I should know about this Septimus guy?” The doll looked pleased that he was interested to know more.

“During the wars that devastated the earth, the first off world life stations offered safety and protection to thousands of the most important scientists and educated people from around the world. Of course in those days the life stations were far more basic with limited artificial gravity sections but the people were kept safe in the hope that they would one day be able to rebuild the Earth, which, thankfully, is what they did. Automated systems took care of life support and a few basic robotic machines looked after the maintenance on the stations.” Most of what she was telling him seemed too strange to be real, but here he was so he guessed it was true. The doll smiled and carried on with her little lecture. “I am now a fifth generation Bio-cybernetic life form.”

“The same as Camille.” Trent wanted to add to the conversation but as he said it he saw an immediate change on the girls face so he didn't say anything else.

“Yes, physically that is correct Mr Trent.”


“This Bio thing what does that mean exactly?” The girl had a stern expression and Trent knew he'd touched on a delicate subject."

“My body incorporates mechanical AND biological components and I can operate quite independently without it being obvious that I am not human. There are drawbacks.”

“Drawbacks?" Trent was curious. “What about these drawbacks, can you tell me more about that.” The girl said nothing for a moment as she looked around nervously. This didn't go unnoticed by Trent.

“I can't really explain things here Mr Trent but basically Bio's have a limited life span and not everyone is happy about it.” Trent didn't force the subject so changed the direction of his questions.

“Well whoever designed you sure did a good job babe.” Just then the barman returned with a small flat electronic device. He handed it to Trent.

“Your menu sir.” He said. Trent took the small device and looked at it. The doll could see the puzzled look on his face.

“Would you like me to order for you?” Trent passed her the menu.

“What sort of food do you like Mr. Trent.

“I guess a plate of pasta and meatballs would be good if you can do that.” The doll pressed her delicate fingers gently across the little screen and then returned the device to the barman.

“Thank you Sir, Madam.” He said as he turned and left.

“Look I'd like to ask you something...” Trent watched her face for a sign of disapproval, he didn't see it. “...I mean, you're so ...” He hesitated not sure if he should go down this line of conversation. “... you're so pretty and so...sexy, I mean the way you look and your body and everything, you're really something you know.” The girl dropped her head slightly to hide her face from him just as though she were embarrassed, was that possible Trent thought. “Look I'm sorry if I've embarrassed you I really didn't...” The girl looked up and cut him short.

“No no Mr Trent I'm really flattered by your words, it's just, well, no one ever told me things like that before.” Smiling at her Trent said.

“Looking and talking to you no one would never know that you...that you're a...” he couldn't find the right way to say the words to finish the sentence so the girl finished it for him.

“Not real? Is that what you're trying to say Mr Trent, that I'm not a real person?” There was an obvious air of disappointment in her voice now.

“NO, I wouldn't say that, not like that, I mean you are real, sorta real anyway.” Trent now felt embarrassed and a little uncomfortable too.


He emptied the last of the Bourbon down his throat as he turned to face the bar. “Barkeep.” He lifted the empty glass towards the barkeep. “Another one please, make it a double.”

“Look Carlton...” That was the first time she'd called him that. “Just ask me whatever you want to ask. I am restricted from offering certain informations but I am programmed to answer honestly all questions from humans. You may never get another chance to talk to a real life Android.” She gave him a pretty smile as she said it and Trent felt a little uncomfortable by what she'd just said but he did feel more at ease inside, was it the way things were going or was it the Bourbon, he didn't know and he didn't care either. He wasn't going to spoil the mood any further by asking a lot questions and getting answers he probably wouldn't understand. He decided not to pursue that line of questioning.

  “I guess I got a lot to learn in this new world of yours. Do we still leave a tip for the server?” the doll looked at him for a moment while she searched her memory banks for answer and then gave a little smile.

“Oh, no Mr. Trent you see tipping as in your time would not be possible here, what would we give them?” Trent had forgotten that money had been abolished and that he didn't have to pay for anything. Within a few minutes the barman returned with two plates of pasta accompanied by a little side salad. He placed the food down on the table. Trent and the doll sat in silence for a few minutes as they enjoyed the taste of the food on the plates. The fact that the android was eating a plate of food had escaped Trents notice. It didn't take long for them to finish and for the plates to be emptied. Trent relaxed back in his chair and looked across at the doll.

“You know this place ain't so bad.” The doll copied him and sat back in her chair. She studied his face for a moment before she spoke.

“Mr Trent, life on these...” She looked around her for a second or two and leaned forward signalling with her finger for Trent to do the same.

“...these villages...” She spoke quietly. “... well it isn't the utopia that some would have you believe.” She lifted her glass and took another sip. Trent was more intrigued than before. He knew she had something to tell him but he'd wait for the right moment.

“You'll have to explain that to me, I'm a stranger here, remember?” The doll rose from her seat and took Trent by the arm.

“Come with me Mr Trent.” The pair made their way to the exit and out into the corridor. The doll turned and put her face close to Trents' ear as she whispered. “Do not speak Mr Trent until I do, do you understand.” Trent nodded. The doll then spoke in a clear voice as she said. “Right Mr Trent please follow me and I will show you around our space village.” Trent was confused but he did as she asked and they walked in silence. For several minutes they walked along the gently curving corridor until the doll stopped and opened a door into another room. When Trent entered the room the door slid closed behind them, he could see it was a very small space. As they stood side by side the doll spoke in a clear voice. Trent realised they were in a kind of elevator.

“Level eight please.” The elevator started its ascent and Trent, for a second, felt unsteady on his feet, he'd never much liked the open wire elevators in the Police House and usually used the stairs. It was only a moment and the elevator came to a halt. The doll looked at Trent and put a finger to her lips to tell him not to speak. The door of the elevator opened and they found themselves stepping out into a large room full of objects and display cabinets. There were several inhabitants meandering around in various forms of dress. As Trent and the girl crossed the room his eyes were everywhere taking in all the objects, displays and pictures around them. It would be safe to assume they were in some kind of Museum. At the far side of the room they approached a clearly marked door, the new doll raised her hand to the panel and as the door slid back the doll quickly went through pulling Trent behind her. The door slid closed and the pair found themselves standing in a small storage room. The doll turned to Trent and spoke quietly.

“Alright Mr Trent I think we are not overheard in here.” Trents' face showed his confusion as he asked.

“So who are we hiding from?”

"You should investigate how the Bio's are replenished." Trent was confused.

"What do you mean replenished?" The doll took his arm again and moved him over to the sidewall. A window appeared as the protective shield slid upwards.

“What do you see out there Mr Trent?” Trent looked again into the deep black void with the fragile blue ball floating there.

“That's the Earth, where I come from. What did you want me to see?” He turned back to face the doll.

“Not everything you see and hear is exactly as it appears Mr Trent, I'm sure you have come across that situation before.” Trent gave the doll a quizzical look.

“You saying that isn't the Earth?.”

“Of course that is the Earth Mr Trent, that is not what I was referring to.”


“ So what are you saying that I've been brought here for a different reason to what I've been told?” The doll was visibly nervous.

“I can tell you this Mr Trent, not all androids are to be trusted, especially the Bio's. The Bio's, myself included, have a limited life span if we are not replenished from time to time.” Trent was having some uneasy feelings. “I can't tell you more now except you should trust only two people, The Guardian, and Maggie.” Trent was shocked when he heard Maggies' name mentioned.

“What has Maggie got to do with all this and who is this Guardian? Is he the reason I'm here?” The doll shook her head.

“No. You will know him from his clothes, he is tall and wears a black cloak and hat. He is a Guardian of the time lines.” She lifted her head as though she'd heard something. “Shhhsh we have to go now or you will be missed.” She held Trent by the arms as she said it. “Remember without the three laws humans would not be safe from the Bio's and trust only Maggie and the Guardian.” At that moment the door slid back and Camille entered the room.

“Ahhh, Mr Trent here you are. I hope you have enjoyed your little tour of our world.” She turned her attention to the doll. “Though I must say I hadn't expected it to include a museum storage locker.” The doll touched his arm and gave him a little smile then left without saying anything. Camille watched her leave then turned back to Trent. “I hope Alexandra three didn't do or say anything to unnerve you Mr Trent.” He was puzzled by her remark but made sure he didn't show it.

“No we had a great time but I'd like to see more of this museum place if that's okay?” Trent started to towards the doorway and Camille was quickly by his side and linked her arm with his. Trent glanced at the joined arms and then at Camille.

“Tell me something.” Trent said, “That doll the just left..”

" Alexandra three. Yes what about her?.” Camilles voice was very matter of fact again and this hadn't gone un noticed making Trent a little edgy.

“It's a strange sorta name, 'Alexandra' quite exotic, I just wondered......” Before he could finish his sentence Camille cut in.

“Please don't worry yourself about her Mr Trent, you will not have time to see her again as you will be leaving shortly and I must make sure you are ready.” He noted again that Camille had avoided his question which convinced him even more that he needed to be on his guard. Trent didn't pursue the conversation. Camille walked quickly as they crossed the Museum and out into the hallway with Trent close behind her.


Once back in the main corridor Camille wasted no time in hurrying them back towards Trents' room. The change in her manner and attitude hadn't gone unnoticed, obviously something had changed and all he could assume was the fact that he had been caught talking to the doll he now knew as Alexandra three. But why? And what was Camille hiding from him? Trent was wide awake, sober, and thinking like a detective for the first time in very long time.

As they passed along the corridor Trent noticed the change in decor. Both walls now had yellow diagonal stripes from waist height to the floor. Camille stopped and opened a door. As they stepped through Trent took a sharp intake of breath.

"Where exactly are we now Camille?” The doll turned and using her right hand she pressed a large red button on a panel by the door. The door slid closed and Trent heard a new sound as the internal locking system secured the door. In the centre of this large room stood some kind of vehicle resting on three metal stands. Large black letters were painted on the side. ES5/D1

“Come with me Mr Trent, I'm sure you'll enjoy the next couple of hours.”

The doll walked towards the craft, Trent followed but with some hesitation.

“I take it this is some kind of vehicle?”

“Yes Mr Trent, this is a personnel transport craft. I thought you might like to see where we live.” As she reached the side of the craft she pushed a small disc on the side and a door slid upwards revealing an unlit interior. Trent followed Camille as she stepped inside, the door slid closed and the lights came on. Inside were four rows of seats and at the front below a wide window was a large colourful control panel. Camille was already seated as she instructed Trent.

“Please sit down Mr Trent and fasten your flight harness, I think you will enjoy the next few minutes.” She pointed to the left hand seat at the front of the craft. Trent did as he was asked and quickly sat in the seat next to Camille. Slipping the harness over his shoulders he watched Camille fasten her harness and he followed her actions, pushed the metal clips into the locking mechanism, and sat expectantly. Camille was busy pressing a variety of buttons and Trent heard a faint hum as the motors powered up, then she spoke in a clear loud voice. "Computer on." A second later an unfamiliar electronic voice said.

"Delta One, computer is ready to receive. What is your designation?" Camille didn't look up from her control panel and her hands moved back and forth across the array of lights and switches.

"Authorisation voice recognition Omega D1."

"Voice recognition affirmative. Welcome Omega D1." Camille pressed a button and held it down as she spoke.

“Control this is Delta One, authorisation code Camille ten Omega D1.” A pleasant female voice filled the vessel.

“Welcome Camille ten, authorisation for Delta One accepted you are cleared for pre flight readiness.”

“Thank you control, I have one passenger for a short orientation flight. Commencing pre flight checks.” Camille started flicking a variety of switches and pressing buttons. Trent was mesmerised by the display of brightly lit panels before him.

“NavCom switch to on, AutoCom switch to on, Life support active, Fuel Cells at ninety percent, Engine warm up procedure is on, Nav lights on, Proximity alarms on, Manoeuvring thrusters active, Air seals secured. Control we are ready for thrust engine start.” With every switch she turned on a new set of lights appeared on the panels in front of Camille. Trent was fascinated by everything he was seeing.

“Thank you Delta One you are cleared for departure. Outer doors opening in thirty.”

“Control this Delta One, all air lock lights are showing green. Vacuum pumps will be cleared in five...four...three...two... vacuum pumps clear, Delta One on holding pattern Alpha.

“Thank you Delta One we copy. Transferring traffic data to your NavCom now, please acknowledge."

“Control, Delta One. Your data uploaded, thank you.”

“Delta One departure bay doors opening in ten.” Trent sat nervously looking straight ahead as the huge side of the room started to open outwards to reveal a hard blackness studded with a billion points of light.

“Mr Trent are you okay?” Camille was still busy pressing various buttons as she spoke.

“Yes I'm fine.” He wasn't but didn't want her to see it.

“Delta One to control, outer doors are open, door locking clamps showing green, departure will be imminent.”

“Delta One you are clear for flight. You have immediate traffic approaching on your starboard side at three thousand miles. Please use holding pattern Theta until traffic has passed. Have a safe flight Delta One.”


“Thank you control, logging traffic into flight avoidance control now. Delta One out.” Camille moved her hands to the control handles at the end of the arms on her seat, holding one in each hand and with a slight movement of her wrists the craft rose gently and smoothly off the floor. Trent gripped the arms of his seat, he was very nervous as the craft wobbled slightly and began to move slowly forward towards the void. It took only seconds for the craft to be clear of the opening and Camille turned to look at Trent. We must hold here for a few seconds Mr Trent, Trent just sat and stared straight out of the front windows.

"Delta One you are cleared to engage main engines."

“Thank you control Delta One out. Well Mr Trent are you ready?” Trent glanced at her and nodded approval, his mouth was too dry to speak.

“You will feel a force pushing into you it is nothing to worry about, I'm sure you will have heard about it, it's called 'G' force. Camille moved her right hand and the craft lurched forward at an ever increasing pace. The two were pushed back into their seats, and Trent was unable to move.

“Jeeeezzzz.” The expression escaped between Trents' tight lips and a little wind escaped from his rear end, he knew they were moving at incredible speed. As he stared out of the front window it occurred to him that the stars weren't getting any bigger, then just as suddenly the craft stopped accelerating and Trent felt the pressure ease off and he was able to move again. Camille steered the craft into a banking manoeuvre and the craft stopped. There before them was the Space station Village. Trent could see the immensity of it now.

"Holy cow just how big is that place?" The sunlight caused half of the Station to be cloaked in darkness. Here and there he could see lights where the viewing windows were being used and several tiny pin pricks of light moved about like fire flies flashing on and off as tiny vessels caught the sunlight during their manoeuvres. “I never imagined it would be so big.”

“Yes it is quite impressive isn't it Mr Trent. You might be interested to know the village is one standard mile in diameter and one point five standard miles from top to bottom. The village took eight years to build and has a permanent population of several thousand, including hundreds of families. There is also a large contingent of maintenance and domestic androids. We have shopping malls, laboratories, workshops, schools and various medical and sport facilities as well as several large green recreational parks."

"It's remarkable, and people live there all the time?"

"Yes, but all humans have to spend some time on Earth and live as a Terran so that they experience real gravity and the changing seasons down there."

"A what?" Asked Trent. Camille turned to him with a quizzical look on her face.

"Sorry Mr Trent, I don't understand."

" You said 'a Terran', they live as a Terran, what's a Terran?"

"Arh yes, a Terran Mr Trent is what we call a natural Bio, someone who was born on the earth and chooses to live there." She had referred to humans as natural Bio's and Trent thought that was a bit strange.

"So what do you call those people who live on your space village?"

"The humans out here are known as Astro's. It is just a title you understand, everyone has the same rights and anyone can choose to live where they please, according to their work designation." Camille made a few movements with her hands and the craft altered course and increased speed. "We are now twenty standard miles from our departure point and we are travelling at a speed of five hundred miles an hour.” Trent made another whistling noise. “I will now take you on a tour around the station Mr. Trent, it really is a wonderful feat of space engineering." Just as the huge space station appeared to change it's orientation and the blue globe of the Earth came into view a voice boomed in the cockpit.

“Collision imminent, collision imminent, unidentified object on precise collision course take avoiding action one alpha.” Camille said nothing as her hands moved with lightening speed to change the flight path of the craft which turned sharply and accelerated so hard Trent was pushed into his seat. Camille shouted.

“Pull your seat restraints tight Mr Trent, this might get uncomfortable for you.” The craft twisted and turned in the darkness, and from time to time Trent caught a glimpse of his world as it dashed passed the front windows. The voice returned.

“Unidentified object now on tracking trajectory. Avoiding action Alpha one Beta in five seconds.” Trent watched as Camille worked feverishly with the various controls and buttons.

“Three, Two, One, execute.” The craft lurched forward at ever increasing speed into a jet black void. Trent felt heavier and heavier as the seconds ticked by. He was on the point of passing out when the pressure on his body ended suddenly.

“Mr Trent? Are you alright.” There was concern in Camilles’ voice.

“What the hell is going on?” Trent had beads of sweat on his brow.

“What was that all about?”

“It would appear that your presence has been noted and someone is trying to kill you.” Trent sat for a moment.

“Why on earth would someone I can’t possibly have met, be trying to kill me?”

“A very good question Mr Trent.”

“Delta One this is control, please respond.”

“Yes control, this is Delta one. What happened Control?”

“Delta One, we tracked an unauthorised launch of an explosive device from one of the lower maintenance levels. It was programmed with your shuttles engine signature and was designed to intercept and destroy you.”

“Thank you Control. Has the device been destroyed?”

“Delta One that is affirmative. The station defence system locked on to it and it was blown up. You are now in the Theta quadrant approx 3500 nautical miles from the station. You are cleared for return.”

“ Thank you Control, Delta One out.”

“Brilliant. Bloody brilliant. You bring me a couple of thousand years into the future and people are still trying to kill me.” Camille went back to gently manoeuvring the various controls and the craft once again began to move in banking curve back in the direction of the space Village. Trent was sure the dame could hear his heart beating, he sat nervously as the craft moved inexorably towards the Space Village. All thoughts of the beautiful Earth he’d seen earlier now far from his mind. Camilles gentle voice broke the silence.

“In a few minutes we shall be on the dark side away from the sun.” Said Camille and with the tiniest of hand movements she started the craft on an arc that would take it around the Station at a safe distance. Trent could sense the craft must be moving by watching the Space village turning very slowly in front of him.

“It's amazing Camille. The future is an amazing place. NO body will believe me when I get back home. My first time in a flying machine and someone tries to kill me, to kill us.” Camille turned to him.

“Mr Trent you cannot repeat what you have seen here to anyone, do you understand? It could cause disastrous fluctuations in the time lines and change the future irrevocably. You cannot tell anyone.” There was a definite nervous tone in her voice.


“But what will I tell Maggie, she'll want to know where I've been, she may already have reported me as missing.” A wry little smile crept across Camilles face unseen by Trent. Without looking in his direction she said.

“Maggie must know nothing about this Mr Trent, you see she will never know that you were away at all.” Trent was by now quite sober and his brain was active and functioning normally. Alexandre three had said he could trust Maggie and now Camille was telling him differently.

“How will she not notice I'm not there, she's bound to have noticed yesterday when she came in to clean the office.” Another knowing smile and this time Camille turned to Trent as she spoke.

“Computer activate auto pilot.” The strange electronic voice replied.

“Auto pilot active.”

“My dear Carlton you still have not fully understood your situation have you? When you return to your home it will be as though nothing happened. We are sending you back to a time before you left, remember?” He didn't speak, Trent just sat and looked at her, his mind going into overdrive.

“1935, the school.” He said. Camille nodded, he'd understood that bit at least. “But if I was already there won't I see myself drunk on the floor?”

“CARLTON you really have been paying attention, I believe you are beginning to understand, I'm impressed, really, I had my doubts about you from the beginning as I told you, but NOW, well I have to say I'm sorry, I apologise.” She flashed him a broad smile. “Under a simple time jump you would be correct Mr Trent however that is a very dangerous situation and as far as I know it has never been authorised. No, you will resume your OWN time line a couple of days before the rendezvous to give you time to get used to the idea and make arrangements. Maggie will just turn up as usual and know nothing different except she will have no knowledge of the last two years.”

“And me, will I remember the last two years?” This was a good point Trent had raised and Camille was quick to reassure him.

“Yes Mr Trent your memories will be intact that is why you must be careful what you say to other people. You understand you will know things that are yet to happen, you MUST restrain yourself until you reach the date that you left to come here. From that point on everything will be new for you just as for the rest of the world. Do you understand?” Trent didn't answer the question, he just stared out through the front windows of the craft.


Neither Trent nor Camille said anything for several minutes. They continued to tour the outside of the Space Village and very soon approached the dark side.

“We are entering the night stage of the station Mr Trent. You might be interested to know that once on the dark side the temperature drops to minus 243 degrees Kelvin. Because the station is in slow rotation the extremes of heat and cold never get a chance to reach their maximums and this allows the life support systems to stabilise the living zone temperatures.”

Less than an hour later the craft was making an approach for re docking, the Space village loomed huge in front of them. Camille took hold of the control handles in preparation for starting her landing sequence.

“Computer Auto pilot off. Control this is Delta One on final approach for re docking.”

“Delta One we see you on scanners, please slow to approach speed and stand off at 5000 yards.” A few seconds later they were stopped awaiting further instructions.

“Control, Delta One standing by at 5000 yards, main engine shut down, approach and landing thrusters engaged.”

“Delta One, docking bay doors open in ten, please approach with caution, welcome back.” The craft edged slowly forward and entered the large landing platform area inside. Once inside Camille turned the craft and placed it perfectly onto the floor.

“Well Mr Trent I hope you enjoyed our little excursion." Trent unbuckled his harness and stood up.

" Yes it was quite an experience. Especially that bit where were almost blown up.” Trent noticed the corners of her mouth move. She was allowing herself a little smile.

It didn’t take long for Trent to find himself once again marching down a long corridor. Camille walked casually by his side this time. Neither felt the need to speak. Camille stopped, put out her hand and held Trent’s arm to stop him.

“In here Mr Trent.” Camille opened another seamless door and pulled Trent inside.

“What’s going on Camille? You got me here to do a simple job and suddenly people are trying to kill us.” Camille spoke softly, almost a whisper.

“There are some groups who disagree with Time jumping and will do anything to stop it. I think it was probably one them that tried to stop you returning.” Trent wasn’t reassured by her statement and told her so.

“I think I should get back as soon as possible, at least back home I know how to recognise my enemies, and I know how to deal with them.”

“Yes, we’ll get you back as soon as the T.J.V. is powered up, I would think sometime tomorrow afternoon. Until then I suggest you lay low as you might say.” 

“Okay, so what is a T.J.V. as you called it?”

“T.J.V.? Sorry, yes, Time Jump Vortex. It’s the system by which we are able to Jump back in time. It takes a tremendous amount of power and can only be used when the power levels have been restored.” Trent gave a nod of understanding and the pair sortied out once more into the corridor.

“I suggest you stay on your level and I’ll arrange for someone to stay with you.”  A few minutes later Camille took her leave of Trent as he returned to his room. Trent went straight to the Ice box and quickly extracted a large glass of Bourbon. Sitting on the couch Trent took a sip and mulled over all that had passed in the last two days. He was far away in his mind when the door shished open and a tall doll walked in. He recognised her as the doll he met before.

“Alexandre..right?” The Doll came over to him and gave him a broad smile.

“Well Mr Trent...you remembered.” Alexandre sat down next to him.

“It’s just, after our last meeting, Camille informed me that we wouldn’t be meeting again.”

“Ah yes that was her idea not mine. When I found out they were sending a protector I intercepted her and took her place.” Trent wanted to think he’d been irresistible to her but he guessed she had another reason for being there.

“ Can I get you something?” Asked Trent as he looked at her.

“Thank you I’ll have an iced Soda, if that is okay with you?” Trent was on his feet in a flash and in a few moments returned with a glass of chinkling Soda and ice. As she reached out and took the glass she said.

“Thank you Mr Trent.”

“Look we’re not strangers, call me Carlton.” The doll raised her glass and said.

“Okay, thank you Carlton.”

“Tell me something more about yourself.” Said Trent.


The doll sat back in a relaxed posture and looked straight ahead.

“What would you like to know Mr...sorry, Carlton?”

“I don’t know, I mean I don’t know anything about you. You said you were a Biodroid like Camille?”

“Well I am a Biodroid, but I’m not like Camille.” Trent knew there was something going on behind the scenes but he knew he had to take it easy with Alexandre if he was going to learn more about the situation.

“I’m sorry if I’m being too personal but that’s twice you’ve made it clear that you and Camille are not the same. I’m curious is all.” Trent had many questions he needed answers for, not least why someone had tried to kill them.

“Camille said something about groups of people disagreeing with Time Jumping. I wondered if you knew anything.”  Alexandre moved uneasily on the couch and put her glass on the little table. Her change in posture didn’t go unnoticed by Trent.

“Look Mr Trent. There are some things that you must not know about. It could be very dangerous for you and for your time line. I can tell you only this. My generation of Biodroids have a limited life expectancy, governed by the aging processes of our bioorganic parts. Some Biodroids do not relish the thought of reaching a termination point. Now that is all I can tell you, so please don’t ask me anything more about it.” The doll reached for her drink. Trent had a lot to think about, he took another sip from his glass.

“Okay, tell me something about this Time Jumping thing.” Alexandre managed a slight smile.

“It was discovered by accident during the trial flights of the F.T.L ships.”

“F.T.L. ships?”

“Sorry, yes, Faster Than Light ships.” She could see the blank expression on Trent’s face. Trent remembered reading about how light was the fastest thing in the universe but it wasn’t something that entered his everyday life in Brooklyn. The doll continued.

“Scientists had been working for centuries on a form of propulsion to push through the light speed barrier. When they finally discovered the secret they built the first F.T.L. ship. But on it’s first test flight it disappeared just at the point of light speed.”

“What happened? Did it explode?”

“No. It just.......disappeared. They quickly prepared three more ships and this time they sent all three at the same time. The lead ship was destined to accelerate to Light Speed and the other two would stay just under light speed to observe. All three were approaching light speed when the lead ship pushed forward. Both the escort ships reported that everything was normal and the lead ship was sending a constant stream of data back to them when it the signals stopped and the ship vanished. No debris or trace of them was ever found and they were never heard from again, so it was decided to stop the test flights.” Trent got up to make a couple more drinks.

“Do you want something to eat.” He asked the doll.

“I can eat something if it will make you feel more at ease.” Trent opened the Icebox cooker and was soon returning to the couch with a large Pizza.

“Cheese, Tomato and Pepperoni. Smells great.” He passed a slice to the doll and she watched as Trent bit off the pointed corner. It amused her to see him eat. With each mouthful he closed his eyes and smiled. It didn’t take long for them to finish the meal and Trent was curious to hear more about this strange world.

“So did they find out what went wrong with these F.T.L’s?”

“Not exactly but they did discover there had been a massive power surge in the gravitation field surrounding the ship just at the point of light speed. It was assumed the ships had passed through some kind of Space Time barrier and so they started investigating the phenomenon.” Trent was intrigued by Alexandre’s story and was listening avidly.

“Well they spent another two hundred years and they finally isolated the energy field and developed the Time Jump.” The drink and the food was making Trent quite sleepy.

“ I think I need to rest now Alexandre.” The doll nodded and stood up. Trent stood up next to her. As he looked into her beautiful face the doll leaned in closer to him. She moved her face close to his, she smelled real nice, Trent was lost in the moment and he moved his face to hers and found her lips. As their lips met in a soft kiss Trent had forgotten, it was only when his warm lips met her cold lips that he remembered, damn he'd forgotten about that.




© 2016 MAD ENGLISHMAN


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
Added on August 21, 2016
Last Updated on August 21, 2016


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing