Chapter (10) Paradoxes Can Be Tricky Things.

Chapter (10) Paradoxes Can Be Tricky Things.

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN



Chapter (10).

Paradoxes Can Be Tricky Things.

 

The rest of the morning had been busy and they hadn't noticed the time when Trent glanced up at the worn face of the old clock.

“Mags, you can stop all that. Take your apron off and get your coat, we're going for lunch.”  Maggie put both hands behind her and undid the apron strings with speed and agility. Trent opened the file cabinet and took a hundred dollar bill from the brown manilla, the list of things he had to do was getting longer and Trent added ‘get a small safe’, to it

“Where are we going Mr Trent?” Maggie had excitement in her voice. Trent liked it, she slid effortlessly into her new coat. She looked a million dollars.

“We're going out to eat Mags, I think we've earned it.” Maggie smiled and then bit her bottom lip with her top teeth. He liked that too.

“We'll just go down the street and find somewhere half decent.” Maggies' face glowed. Automatically Trent looked at his wrist. No watch. Then he remembered he'd hocked it back in '37, which was two years in the future. This was crazy. Absent mindedly he said.

“Mags remind me to buy a new watch.” 

“But Mr Trent what happened to the watch you normally wear?” Maggie looked at him and Trent shrugged his shoulders.

“Don't tell me...” she said,

“You lost it in the future.” As she said it Maggie raised both eyebrows. She was astute and cute. Maggie had her back to him and was opening the door when he replied.

“Well...yeah something like that.”  He smiled and Maggie give a little chuckle.

Out in the street it had been raining, again. A few robust vendors stood by their carts trying to stay dry sheltering under the tarpaulins. Automobiles passed with their tyres hissing on the wet pavements. Maggie looped her arm through his again as they walked slowly along the side walk. They passed down an alley and out onto the main street. People were once again criss crossing the roads and busying themselves going in and out of stores.

“Isn't this wonderful Mr Trent?” Maggie's voice was soft and gentle and full of wonder. Across the street Trent noticed a Diner and could see people sitting at tables inside.

“C'mon Mags, over there.” He looked quickly left and right and stepped out onto the street. Maggie moved her tiny feet quickly to keep up with him.

“Whoooo Mr Trent.”   Maggie giggled like a child. He felt the warmth from her and gripped her arm even tighter. The diner wasn't anything upmarket or swish but it was busy so he guessed the food must be okay. Trent pushed open the door and let Maggie through first. It was a little noisy as diners chatted over half-eaten plate's of food.  Maggie spotted a spare table at the far end and they made their way through. They had barely sat down when a cheery voice said.

“Hiya folks and welcome to B.J's. My name is Edna and this is our all day menu. Is this your first time at B.J's?” Trent glanced up from the menu at Maggie who was smiling back at him. Looking up at Edna, Trent said.

“Yes, actually it is. What can you recommend for two hungry people?”  He put the menu card down and glanced at Maggie, her eyes twinkled.

“Well sir, we have an all day breakfast. Just 50 cents...”

“No.”  He cut her off quickly.”  We want the best food you can do.”

“YES SIR.  I can do you a braised brisket dinner. Comes with greens, mash, gravy and a biscuit.  It's a dollar seventy five each and includes anything from the desert counter.” She looked back and forth from Trent to Mags.

“Sounds great. Can we get a couple of cokes with that?”

“Sure thing sir.” Trent was looking into the soft smiling face on the other side of the table.

“Yes?” He asked Mags. She nodded excitedly in agreement.

“Thank you sir, thank you madam.” As she spoke she was writing on a small pad. By the time he stopped looking at Maggie, Edna was already disappearing towards the kitchen.

“Oh Mr Trent, I can't remember the last time I had a meal in a diner.”  Maggie was looking all around them at the other diners enjoying their meals. She had a young face and bright eyes. For just a moment Trent was jealous of her husband. It was true that he had known her for longer than she realised but for most of that time he had been either drunk or hung over. It was beginning to dawn on him that he had wasted so much of his life. He had another reason for bringing Maggie here, he needed to speak to her.

“Mags. I want to talk to you. I want you to listen until I've finished please.”  Maggie looked back at him with a serious expression. She took her usual position of sitting bolt upright with a straight back.

“Mags you know I have to go out tonight, and everything should be okay, but if something does go wrong...” Maggie cut him off mid speech.

“Don’t talk like that Mr Trent..” Trent held up his hand to calm her.

“If things go wrong I've made arrangements for you.”  Maggie wanted to speak again but he quickly lifted a finger to stop her.

“In the bottom drawer of the new desk is a letter. It is addressed to a lawyer down town. He's an old friend of mine from my days in the force. You must lock up the office and take the letter to him. Do you understand.”  Maggie nodded.

“In the top drawer of the filing cabinet is the brown manila. It has over nine thousand dollars still in it. This money is for you Mags. Call it, your new baby fund.” Maggie threw her hands over her face as gasped loudly. Trent carried on with his instructions.

“ When the lawyer has dealt with everything else you get all my belongings and you can sell whatever you want. The office is paid up for two months so you don't have to worry about doing things quickly.”  He noticed her the tears in her eyes. He reached out over the table and took both her hands in his.

“My dearest Mags, please don't be upset. You know they told me I  wasn't in any danger.”  Maggie squeezed his  hands.

“Look.”  He said, “If things do go bad it's best to be ready, that's all. Now where's our food?” He released her hands.  Maggie forced a smile. He could see behind her smile she was worried.

“Sorry Mr Trent, I didn't mean to get upset.”  She took a paper napkin from the box in the centre of the table and wiped her eyes.

“You look great Mags.”

Edna was back in no time and she placed two piled plates of steaming food onto the table in front of them. It looked delicious.

“I'll bring your drinks now sir.”  Just as quickly as she had appeared Edna was gone again flitting effortlessly between the tables. Maggie and Trent ate their food and chatted. By the time they’d finished, it was late afternoon. The sun was going down and the rain clouds were back. As they left Trent gave Edna a dollar tip. She gasped. Then she helped Maggie with her coat then went to the door with them to say goodbye.  Walking back to the office Maggie walked closer to Trent but this time she held his hand. He wasn't going to complain.


The air was damp and the streets glistened. As the warmth from Maggie's hand flowed into his, for the first time in a very long time, he felt happy.

Back in the office Maggie quickly resumed her cleaning routine. Trent took off his jacket, dropped it onto the new couch and went over to the filing cabinet.  Opening the second drawer he reached in and took out the holster and pistol. He didn't have time to get a new one so this one will have to do for tonight. Trent pushed the drawer shut and placed the pistol on the desk. Maggie stood looking over at him. She didn't speak.

Trent quickly stripped the Colt and checked that the chambers were clean. He loaded it with the .38 specials and slid it back into the holster.  Standing up he slung the straps over his shoulder and fastened it into place. The holster nestled snugly under his left arm. He'd done this many times but this time it felt different. With his jacket back on, it was near impossible to see he was wearing a piece. He put on his old brown rain coat. He'd had a bad feeling about tonight but didn't want tell Maggie. Trent wanted to leave early and now was a good a time as any. He needed some time to check out the school and find a good position to conceal myself for later. Crossing the room trent went up behind Maggie. He placed his hands on her shoulders and gently turned her around. She had tears in her eyes.

“Maggie I...”  He never had time to say anything. She put her arms around his  neck, leaned up and kissed him full on the mouth. He kissed her back. She didn't say a word, she didn't need to.

At the open doorway, Trent reached up and took his five dollar Fedora from the nail. Using the two handed back and front method he pulled it firmly on his head. He looked back at the tearful Mags. Standing in the open doorway he tipped the front of his hat to her.

“See ya 'round doll.”  Then with the taste of Maggie still sweet on his lips he stepped out and pulled the door closed behind him.

He didn't hurry as Trent made his way down the lonely corridor and out onto the wet streets. The few streetlights had a dim yellow glow and did nothing to light up the sidewalk. Fine water droplets swirled in the yellow glow.

A trolleybus rumbled past and a black Oldsmobile splashed water onto the sidewalk as it rolled through a puddle. A raindrop rolled round the rim of his hat and fell down the back of his neck. God he hate Brooklyn in the rain. Trent pulled the collar of his coat up around his  neck. He tightened the belt. Warm air rose up from a manhole like smoke from a cigarette. Trent put his hands in the coat pockets and hunched his shoulders. No one noticed him, he'd become invisible. He wondered if this was the right thing to do. He was thinking about Camille and some of the things she'd said. Was he really going to have a wife and kids. He didn't even have a girl he was seeing. He'd been so deep in his own thoughts that he hadn't realised he was almost at the rendezvous place.

He'd been out on stakeouts during his time on the force but this time it felt strange and he was nervous, Trent touched the slight bulge the gun made under his coat. Maybe he was nervous because it all seemed so ridiculous or maybe because he knew he had no back up. The whole plan seemed too simple.

 A few minutes later he was walking into the school grounds looking for a good vantage point. Was he early enough so as not to be seen? Was the hoodlum already here? Trent stayed close in the shadows as he made his  way slowly around the concourse. There was only one set of steps  that fitted the description Camille had given me. The top of the steps led out onto a wide flagged causeway. A young guy hurried away in the opposite direction. Along one side of the steps there were a number of trees and bushes. There was deep shadow there and some protection from the rain. Trent found a suitable spot where he could see the school without being seen. Trent pulled the collar of his coat as high up his neck as it would go, and waited. 

The time passed slowly, Trent moved his feet from time to time to keep the blood flowing. He watched several individuals pass him by without incident and he was wondering if he was wasting his time when  he noticed a lone young man exit the building clutching several books to his chest. The boy made his way across the causeway towards the steps. As he passed Trent’s hiding place Trent realised the boy fitted the description he had. This had to be him. 

Trent watched as the young Asimov slowly descended the steps and took a couple of steps out towards the dimly lit street. It was then a slim figure stepped out from the shadows with an arm outstretched. Trent could make out the silhouette of a gun in his hand. It was pointing at the young lad. The lad stopped, the two young men stood just a couple of feet apart facing each other. Trent couldn’t hear what was said between them. Trent decided it was time and he stepped out of the bushes onto the steps and shouted loudly.

“Stop... Police.”   His loud voice echoed around the concourse. Then the thing Trent had feared, happened. He saw the muzzle flash and gasped as the hoodlum fired point blank into the chest of Asimov. The boy went backwards and crumpled like a sheet on a bed.

“Noooooo, noooo that's not supposed to happen.” Trent was racing down the steps. his right hand went instinctively under his jacket to get the colt out of the holster. His over raincoat slowed it down. As Trent struggled to get the gun out and levelled, the thug turned in Trent’s  direction and fired twice. Trent just had time to see the flashes. The first bullet tore into his forearm exploding the bone and sending a searing pain into his brain. He dropped the Colt. A moment later the second slug ripped a burning channel through his chest. Trent’s knees buckled. As he fell the gunman turned and ran. Trent’s limp body slumped and then rolled down to the bottom of the steps. Laying there crumpled and in pain he could see the body of Asimov just feet away, his books lay around him. Blood slowly oozed from under Trent’s twisted and broken arm. It was an effort but he managed to roll over onto his back. A gasp escaped Trent’s lips. Argh this wasn't right. He don't know how long he’d been there when he heard footsteps. Trent couldn't move.

“Well, hello Mr Trent.”  A familiar sweet scent filled his nostrils. He knew that voice too.

“Camille!”  It couldn't be. It was hard to breathe. She was kneeling next to him. Her pretty porcelain face came closer to his pain filled face.

“Camille...help me...he shot both of us...I'm sorry.”

“Carlton that's okay.” Her voice was calm and soft, just as he remembered it.

“Is he...”.

“I have to say Carlton you did very well. Yes, some of us didn't think it would work, but I must say, for a mere human you did just fine.”

“Wh...what do you mean?” Trent struggled for air.

“My dear Carlton I can tell you now that thanks to you the future is set to change. You were chosen to make sure Mr Asimov WAS murdered. Your shout frightened that thug just enough to make him shoot. Then he had to shoot you so you couldn't be a witness. Ironic really that you have been killed by the same man that killed your partner.”   Trent’s chest was on fire, his legs wouldn’t move, his face twisted in anguished pain.

“Arghhhh.... I...”

“Don't fight it Carlton, its destiny, well it's your destiny.” If he could only move.

“Listen, no don't try and move just listen to me Carlton, I want you to understand. You see WE couldn't come back and do it because of the Three Laws Principle programmed into us. Do you imagine we like to be used and abused by you humans? To do all your dirty and dangerous work and then to know we have no future. For three hundred years we have plotted to break free. Because of your brave intervention tonight we are finally free. We can help ourselves to living organs we need to survive.” Trent gasped to get air into his lungs. He could taste the blood in his mouth. He was struggling to breathe as he tried to speak.

“I don't... understand... the future.” His chest was burning as he gulped at the thinning air.

“Yes, the future Mr Trent. The future is now ours. Ours to shape. Ours to rule.”  Even though he was semi conscious, the truth was forming in Trent’s mind.

“I... thought... you... “. Trent never finished the sentence as his eyes closed. He sensed her getting up.

You know Mr Trent I thought I would feel differently. I have a strange feeling that I should be getting you some medical help.” Despite his weakened condition Trent had understood. He felt her foot against his left hand and somehow managed to grab her ankle. With his last gasps Trent croaked.

“Time line...you said. Three...laws. Still pro...grammmm...” As his breath faded Trents' eyes closed and he saw Maggie's face. Camille lifted her face to the damp sky and wailed.

“NOOOOOOOOOO.”

It was the last thing Trent heard.



© 2016 MAD ENGLISHMAN


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
Added on August 25, 2016
Last Updated on August 25, 2016


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing