HAVE YOU SEEN MY QUACK? Chapter (4)

HAVE YOU SEEN MY QUACK? Chapter (4)

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN


Days passed and it had now been several weeks since the little duckling started his adventure looking for his quack. Appletree Farm was now far far behind him. He had made some new friends as he travelled along the river but he hadn’t been able to find his quack anywhere.

However all this time something remarkable had been happening to the little Duckling, he had been changing and he didn’t look the same. His feet had grown bigger and wider and this helped him to swim faster and deeper and he could stay under water chasing shrimps and other water insects, for much longer. His wings had become bigger too and the soft yellow and brown fluffy feathers, that had covered his body, had turned into beautiful Black and White ones. His head had changed colour too, it was now covered with pretty green feathers and he had a bright yellow bill. His chest was now a bright chestnut brown colour.

One day Duckling Mallard paddled around another bend in the river he noticed an old wooden building standing on the riverbank. The side of the building had a large wooden wheel fastened to it. The bottom of the wheel was hidden under water and it was turning slowly as the gently flowing water pushed it round. Duckling paddled nearer until he reached a place where the river tumbled lazily over a stone weir into a pretty pool.

“I think this must be the Water Mill.” He said to himself. “I wonder if the Old Owl is at home.” Duckling Mallard spread his fine wings and jumped. He soared gracefully down onto the Mill Pond and landed with hardly a splash. He paddled slowly to the bank and as he did so he looked all around to see if there were any other animals on the pond. He could see Dragonflies darting here and there and a few butterflies flitted about in the flowers. He was about to climb up the bank when he noticed a man going into the Mill carrying something on his back, he knew about people from his time at Appletree farm. He paddled slowly to the bank climbed out of the pond and up to the top of the riverbank. He sat for a moment under a large willow tree.

 “Whooo whooo how do you dooooo” Said a voice making him jump.

“Who said that?” Said Duckling mallard as he looked this way and that.

“I’m up here.” Replied the voice and the little duck looked up into a nearby tree to see a large bird with big eyes and beautiful white feathers with light brown flecks.

“I’m duckling Mallard. Are you the old Owl who lives in the Water Mill? The old Owl ruffled his wing feathers, turn his head this way and that and said with an indignant aire.

“I am MR Owl of Water Mill Pond. I am old it is true but I am wise toohooo. What brings you to my home?”

The little duckling explained about his journey and how the Kingfishers told him about the Owl.

When Duckling mallard had finished telling his story the Old Owl stretched tall, ruffled his wings and twisted his head almost all the way around.

“Oh my dear duckling you have had quite an adventure but you will never find your quack along the river.” The duckling gave the Old Owl a puzzled look.

“Well if my quack isn’t hidden on the river, where is it?” The Old Owl gave a little chuckle.

“Why you silly duckling,” He said. “It’s inside you.”

“But if it’s inside me,” said the duckling. “How will I ever find it.”  The Old Owl smiled a tiny owl smile.

“Silly boy, it comes out all by itself when you need it.”  Duckling mallard noticed the man going into the mill again.

“Who is that?” He asked the Old Owl.

“That is the Millar. He works in the mill and makes flour from the wheat the farmers bring here.” Replied the Owl. “I have my home high up under the roof. The Miller likes me to live there because I catch mice to stop them from damaging the wheat sacks.”

“ Do you think he would let me stay here with you too?” Asked the duckling.

“I think that would be a good idea.” Said Owl. “There will be lots of spilled wheat and barley for you to eat. It will soon be winter and you will need somewhere warm to stay.” The Duckling and the Owl made their way to the Old watermill and soon disappeared inside.



© 2017 MAD ENGLISHMAN


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on May 31, 2017
Last Updated on May 31, 2017


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing