HAVE YOU SEEN MY QUACK Chapter (5). WINTER

HAVE YOU SEEN MY QUACK Chapter (5). WINTER

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN



Chapter (5)

     Each day came and went and soon the cold winds started to blow from the north. The leaves all fell from the trees and a golden autumn gave way to a white winter. The skies turned grey and one cold, frosty morning the North wind brought snow to the Millpond. Duckling woke up to world he had never seen before. Crispy white Snow covered the land and the trees glistened in the morning sunlight. The Millpond had turned white and huge icicles hung down across the weir. The pond had a thick layer of ice and snow covering the water. The air was sharp and burning. Duckling took a few hesitant steps outside the Old Mill house. As Ducklings feet touched the cold snow he said.

“Brrrrrr what on earth is this stuff?” The old Owl said.

“Why, this is snow. Isn’t it pretty?” The old Owl sat on the window ledge and turned his head almost all way round as he looked at the new white world all around them.

“But where does it come from?” Said Duckling as he lifted first one foot and then the other, trying to get used to the feeling of cold under his feet.

“Well it comes from the sky,” Continued the old Owl, “When the trees have lost their leaves and the the North wind blows ever colder, white flakes start to drop from the sky and the water in the Mill pond gets hard.” Duckling stopped for moment and turned to look up at the wise old Owl.

“How can water get hard?” said Duckling. “It’s soft and wet.” The Old Owl gave a little hoot. And although you couldn’t see it behind all his feathers, the old Owl was smiling. Then he told Duckling.

“Go and sit in the Millpond for moment and I’ll try and explain.” Duckling Mallard walked a few steps then hopped over the little wall and onto the pond. However this time he didn’t land in the water as he’d expected, instead his feet slipped under him and he landed on his bottom with a bump. As he fell over he started to slide right across the frozen pond, and only stopped when he reached the reeds on the far side.

“Whoo hooo, that was fun.” Said Duckling Mallard struggling to stand up. “But where did the water go?” he said wobbling unsteadily on his feet. The Old Owl laughed a hooty laugh.

“When the air gets very cold, the water turns into ice and gets hard.” Said the Owl.

“But how will I get to the weeds on the bottom of the pond if the water is hard?” Said Duckling. Duckling was confused and as he tried to walk he slipped over again. Duckling Mallard slipped and slid several more times before he managed to return to the bank. The old Owl sat on the window ledge and continued to chuckle to himself. Duckling was getting used to walking on this new white stuff. He liked the way it squished under his feet. He looked behind him and could see his footsteps clearly in the snow.

“It’s cold.” Said duckling. Owl laughed.

“Yes it is certainly cold.” He said.


(Last chapter work in progress)



© 2018 MAD ENGLISHMAN


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on February 2, 2018
Last Updated on November 21, 2018


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing