To A Thief - Chapter 3: Training Day

To A Thief - Chapter 3: Training Day

A Chapter by Jobyn
"

Arriving at San d'Oria for the first time in his life, Stiff is introduced to his new training companion. With that, the two set off to conquer Ghelsba Outpost!

"
We arrived at San d'Oria after following the road out of La Theine Plateau and into the forest of West Ronfaure all the way through. The surrounding area had been filled with adventurers both big and small running about on their own business. There was definitely a lot more stuff going on out here than there was back at Windurst. I couldn't wait to get started. The Republic of San d'Oria looked as proud as the Elvaan knights standing tall in their shiny armors.

I was introduced to Draven; whom I've been hearing of from Moku since our trip to San d'Oria started. According to Moku, the two were brought together as children because of mutual losses thanks to the Crystal War.. mutual losses like mine. However, Moku refused to tell me about Draven's past for the time being and instead opted into hoping that Draven and I would become the friends he could see us becoming. Apparently, I reminded Moku a lot of Draven and himself, which explained a lot about him letting me tag along and even offering to train me. 



The blonde-haired Draven stood with his back against a tree in the middle of South San d'Oria resting a hand on the hilt of his dagger, surrounded by a small group of girls who were attempting to get his attention by offering him their wares. They were really just trying to get him to talk to them, but he remained silent.

Stiff couldn't help but feel a little jealous of Draven already. Not only did this guy look cool, but he seemed to have a personality to go with it. Calm, collective, mysterious, well-groomed and was quite toned for his age. He was, after all, only one year older than Stiff.



"Moku, you're late.." He spoke with a firm, somewhat-matured voice. Pushing himself off the tree, he took one expressionless glance at the young man standing beside Moku. "Who's this supposed to be..?"

"Hehe, sorry about that Draven! We hit a few bumps on the way here.. stuff like this happens, you know!" Moku smiled helplessly, waving his little arms in the air. "Anyway, this is-"

"The name's Stiff. Pleased to meet ya. I've heard quite a bit about you from Moku here." Stiff butted in, holding out his hand and offering to shake. Despite not liking the first impression of Draven's attitude, he forced himself to be courteous since he would be training with this guy.

"You've delayed my training." Was all Draven said in response, walking past Stiff and Moku, turning his head slightly to the side. "Let's get started, Moku. I don't want to waste any more time."

Stiff's eyebrow twitched, keeping his hand out towards the air as he was left there hanging. "Err.."

My first impression of Draven? Guy's a punk.. It wasn't exactly a walk in the park getting here.. and to think this guy is going to be my training partner.

"About that.." Moku started as he began following behind Draven. "You see, Stiff is going to be joining us for training.. I think you two would make a great duo in these next coming days. You are both thieves, after all. Don't let his looks fool you; Stiff may seem hopeless, but he's actually not as bad as you might think." He grinned

"Hopeless? The hell you talkin' about?" Stiff growled, rubbing the back of his neck as he followed behind the two. "If I can handle some measly undead pirates, I'm pretty sure I can handle your silly training."

Draven faced forward silently, giving somewhat of a smirk. "Whatever. Just don't get in my way.. if you get your a*s handed to you, I'll proceed without you."


"Tch.. don't bet on it!" Stiff replied, giving an anxious grin as he hurried up and caught up to the two.


And with that, we were off. After gathering the necessary supplies, we walked out of San d'Oria and made for the oricish base somewhere outside in the forest of West Ronfaure. This is where our training would begin. Moku explained that our mission was to conquer this base known as the Ghelsba Outpost and ultimately kill Warchief Vatgit. No help would be offered during this training, only the support me and Draven could give each other as a team. Moku would simply watch while hiding from sight.


Day 1 - Begin!

Shortly after setting up our camp somewhere south of Ghelsba, we head over to our destination and stop behind some orcish walls that stood along the path most likely used to cover from enemy fire into their outpost.


"There it is.." Moku whispered as he motioned the two over to the wall he was standing behind, peeking out at the beastmen patrolling the entrance of their outpost. "These should be rather easy for you two."

Stiff's eyes went wide as he took a good look at these orcs. "These are.." He whispered to himself, thinking back on a time in his childhood years. Yes, the shape of these beastmen matched perfectly with the shadowy orcish silhouettes that once brought nothing but pain and sorrow to his past.





Clutching the hilt of his dagger in his hand, Stiff bit his lower lip hard, feeling anger suddenly rising inside of him. "I'm gonna kill them.."

Draven simply looked on at the orcs calmly, though his eyes had grown more narrow now and full of what seemed to be blood-lust.

"Your training begins now. Infiltrate the enemy base. Begin!" Moku ordered.

The two thieves darted out from behind the wooden orcish wall upon Moku's word. Stiff let out an anxious battle cry as he ran head-on towards the nearest Orc in sight.

"What's this idiot doing..?" Draven thought bitterly, jumping behind another wall as he watched Stiff run right up to the enemy. "Now they know we're here.."

"Cripes..! Looks like the anger got him way over his head.."
Moku thought as he witnessed Stiff's reckless move. But for now, he watched intently.

Stiff noticed he was the only one actually running towards the target, but he didn't care. He continued to charge with the intent of killing the orc, thrusting his dagger into its back as he got close enough.

His eyes went wide in surprise as he saw the tip of his dagger barely pierce through. Its flesh was as tough as leather, let alone the actual leather it wore as armor. The orc turned and looked down at this puny hume whom had just charged him, snorting loudly and growling in anger. The other orcs turned towards the sound of alert.


Remember when I told you I tend to get lost in the moment..? It took me a second to realize my mistake.. I really need to stop doing that.


Stiff backed up, gulping as he felt all the anger inside of him suddenly washed by fear. "Crap.."

"Oh no..!" Moku exclaimed, bringing out his elemental staff and hurrying towards Stiff. "Not good!"

The orc swung its big club hard with the force of a log towards Stiff, who was frozen in place.

_______________________________________________________________________________
Bad habits should really be kept out of the battlefield.

What will be the outcome of Stiff's unforgiving mistake!?

Find out next time in
Chapter 4: Better Days, For Worse


© 2011 Jobyn


Author's Note

Jobyn
Comments and reviews MUCH appreciated! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

667 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 7, 2011
Last Updated on October 31, 2011
Tags: adventure fantays humor violence

To A Thief


Author

Jobyn
Jobyn

Corona, CA



About
Updating this section soon. more..

Writing
Home - Chapter: 1 Home - Chapter: 1

A Chapter by Jobyn


Home - Chapter: 2 Home - Chapter: 2

A Chapter by Jobyn


Home Home

A Book by Jobyn