Chapter 1: A Heroic Farewell

Chapter 1: A Heroic Farewell

A Chapter by Midnighter
"

A politically divided Milky Way Galaxy attempts to elect a new leader. Some see it as a new chapter in history. However others, such as Elias Adwell, view it as the beginning of the end.

"

The breathtaking sound of a young alien woman's melodic voice echoes across the Kromina Valley. Vastly spreading for miles upon miles. While humming her melody, she stands and gazes upon the triple sunset in the distance. Lost in a deep slumber, is an infant child, peacefully resting in her arms. After some time, a rather dashing young man approaches the woman from behind. The otherworldly environment surrounding him, makes his human appearance all the more noticeable. 


“Now that's a sight you definitely don't see back on Earth. Boy… am I going to miss it.” He says as he accompanies her. He too gazes far in the distance in complete awe of the spectacular view. 


“Don't say things like that.” She responds. The worry heard in the woman’s soft voice is heart wrenching.


“Salera, listen to me. I know this is hard to come to terms with. Believe me, I know, but no matter how this mission plays out...it's still a one way trip.”


Salera's eyes began to tear up. In the distance the sunset fades as the presence of nighttime blankets over the valley.


“No no baby please don't cry.” His comforting words ignite Salera’s emotions. She erupts in tears.


“Jonz, why? Why would you go through with this? We have a family to raise. You told me we'd be together until the end of our lives. Don't you remember that? We were supposed to raise Elias together here on Kronan. Or even on your homeplanet”


“Salera, if I don't do this, neither Earth nor Kronan can continue to exist. They'll both be invaded by the Spraxans and become completely annihilated by their fleet. There's no compromise, billions of innocent lives are at stake. There’s no changing that.”


After a bit of time, Salera’s weeping dissipates as she humbles her emotions and comes to terms with the situation at hand. Salera gently lays her son beneath the shade of a nearby crescent shaped tree. She turns and gazes at Jonz with a sad smile, as tears trickle down her face. 


“Well… if anyone’s going to stop those a******s it’s going to be legendary fleet commander, Jonz Adwell.” Salara says lightheartedly. She playfully winks at him.


Jonz lets out a heartwarming chuckle. “Oh, so you’re reciting my old quotes now, huh?”


“Well yeah, to quote you once again, “Any badass statement made by Jonz Adwell must be repeated throughout the galaxy for centuries to come.”” Salera states in a playfully mocking tone.


A massive wave of reminiscent thoughts begin flowing through Jonz’s head.


“Wow... I’ve really humbled myself since then. Not a lot of time for statements like that anymore. Having the lives of an entire galaxy's population resting on your shoulders can kinda put a damper on a guy’s cockiness.”


“Well to me, you haven't changed a bit. You're still that handsome, brave, warm hearted boy from earth I met all those years ago.”

Salera gives Jonz a loving hug.


“I’m going to miss you so much." She says while gripping him tightly.


“So will I honey. So will I.”


A dazzling bluish light illuminates the night sky, as Jonz’s glowing, auto piloted ship enters the planet's atmosphere. Shortly after it’s arrival, it begins to hover down in front of the hugging couple. As it slowly descends onto the planet's surface, the ship's thrusters begin lightly blowing a gust of air across the valley. The nearby farm crops gently push against the wind. 


“It’s insane how much this planet reminds me of the American Midwest. You know, minus the crazy sunsets. Sorry... I’m just... trying to extend the convo as long as I can. I don’t want to leave you Salera, but when duty calls, I have to answer. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to.”


Jonz kisses his son, Elias, and Salera goodbye. He reluctantly enters his illuminating sapphire colored ship. Once inside, the heavy range of emotion he partially hid during his conversation with Salera, begins pouring out like broken flood gates. The gravity of this hurts him much more than he presented to her.


However in Jonz’s head, he begins to think of the billions of other families that will be in jeopardy if this incoming intergalactic threat is not dealt with. So with that one thought in mind, Jonz fires up the lightspeed thrusters, levitates his ship off of the planet’s surface, and within a blinding half of a second, he zooms off into the cosmos.


“That was, as my mother recalls it, the last time she ever saw my father, the now famous fleet commander pilot, Jonz B. Adwell.” Speaks sixteen year old Elias Adwell through an echoing microphone. 


In most cases, speaking in front of a large crowd frightens Elias. The fact that he’s speaking to a crowd of undecided voters of course adds even more stress. However the subject matter at hand requires Elias to channel his bravery. The same bravery that his father exhibited nearly sixteen years ago, as him and his outnumbered space fleet valiantly battled the Spraxan Imperial Armada. Elias continues his speech.


“The story of my father...while tragic, has an incredible silver lining. The Milky Way Galaxy is now a changed place due to his heroic actions. The defeat of the invading Spraxan Empire spawned the creation of The Galactic Alliance.

Unfortunately there are some planetary leaders within the alliance that wish to rebel against the system my father worked so hard to create. So that is why I am here speaking to all of you today. We cannot allow ignorance and selfishness to disrupt the peace and prosperity the milky way is currently experiencing. I may be just a kid to some of you, however I have enough knowledge and insight to predict where this situation is headed. So please, for the sake of our future, please consider electing my mother, Salera Onvoi, as leader of the Galactic Alliance.


With her knowledge, skill, and determination, she will make sure the plan my father left behind for the Milky Way stays intact. So with that, I wish all of you fine women and gentlemen a great rest of your evening. Thank you for your time.”




© 2019 Midnighter


Author's Note

Midnighter
I need help with grammar and punctuation. As well as story structure. I'm a fairly new writer. Unapologetic reviews are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on June 27, 2019
Last Updated on June 27, 2019


Author

Midnighter
Midnighter

Columbia, SC



About
I love to write stories that expand the creative thinking capability of the individuals who read them. I have no bias towards any one genre but if I had to choose, it would be either Sci-Fi or Thrille.. more..

Writing