Chapter 3: Impending Doom

Chapter 3: Impending Doom

A Chapter by Midnighter


(Two weeks later…)


“Zana, for the last time, straighten your dress. My god, do you have to look undignified everywhere you go?” Says an alien woman with a curvaceous cat-like appearance. A coat of violet colored fur covers nearly the entirety of her body.


“It’s just an inauguration, why the hell am I even wearing this? Zana responds. 


The woman sinks her sharp claws into Zana’s forearm. “Because I said so.” She says sternly. 


“Alright, alright, jeez” 


“I'm going to the bathroom. You and your brother wait here. Make sure you keep your eyes on him.”

 

While impatiently waiting for her mother’s return, Zana burns some marijuana and begins smoking it. She frustratingly exhales a cloud of smoke while inspecting her pitch-black painted nails. While some give Zana an unwelcome grimace, most of the individuals in the inaugural ballroom turn a blind eye to her smoking. 


A young man dressed in an expensive tuxedo curiously takes notice of Zana. His golden skin is covered with Egyptian-like hieroglyphs. Under the ballrooms light his pupils illuminate and sparkle. He adjusts his glasses and gazes at her with intrigue. As he sniffs the air, a sudden realization occurs to him. He eagerly walks towards Zana and greets her.


“My goodness, is that Zana Morvick?” He shouts with gusto. 


“Oh, so I’m guessing my chrome dome and cybernetic eye sensors didn’t give that away” Zana says sarcastically as she rolls her eyes.


“No, it was actually the smell of the Corillian vine cannabis you’re enjoying. It has a very um… distinctive scent to say the least. Nevertheless, I’m here to propose a certain proposition to you. If accepted, I guarantee it would bring you, and I, much happiness.” The young man says sauvely. 


“Alright, Weston, let me break this down for you a bit more bluntly, because apparently, all the times I tell you this at school aren’t seeming to resonate with you.” Zana thoroughly clears her throat. “For the last time, I don’t want to marry a spoiled prince. Especially one who has his head so far up his own a*s, that he can’t even realize how narcissistic he is.”


“Narcissistic? Zana, our marriage would benefit far more than just myself. If I made you my bride, your homeworld and mine, would be united. Just imagine how much wealth I would bring to your rundown planet? If you accept my offer, the future of Corillon would look brighter than ever.”


“Rundown? Honestly I should slap you for saying that. We don’t need your planet’s help Weston. After Brane Harloff is inaugurated tonight, all planet’s in the Milky Way will receive the wealth they deserve.” 


Weston nervously glances around the ballroom. He leans closer to Zana and whispers in her ear. 


“Zana… I’m not quite sure you understand what tonight’s transition of power means for the Galaxy.”


“Oh, not this crap again. Come on Weston. Did Elias end up brainwashing you too?”


“For your safety, and mine, I highly recommend that you lower your voice Zana. In short, here is what I am implying to you… the death of Salara Onvoi was not the only assassination that occurred during this year’s campaign. Uncoincidentally, Brane Harloff was the only individual out of the seven primary candidates that was never targeted. Do not let your emotions blind you from the truth Zana. There’s a sinister reason why Elias and Dex are currently in the hospital recovering from that so called, fuel leak explosion.”


“Alright, so let me get this straight, you legitimately believe Harloff killed all of them just to get elected? Why the hell would he do that?”


“Do not bullshit me Zana” He sternly whispers to her while clenching his jaw. “You know damn well what's going on here. I don’t care what happened between you and Elias. Nor do I want to know. But I do know this… there’s been chatter all across the Galaxy of Spraxan infiltration. Young people, some even younger than us with Spraxan gang symbols etched on their bodies. Even government officials being investigated for deleting their past records. Records detailing their life history before moving to The Milky Way.”


Although she refuses to show it, Weston’s words have Zana in a state of self-reflection. On the surface, she views Brane Harloff as the saviour to her planet. However subconsciously, she wholeheartedly knows of his true intentions. What prevents her from denouncing Brane is not the hope that her planet will be saved, nor is it any of his further political promises. It is instead her deep love for Elias that plagues her morality. A love that has skewed her idea of right and wrong. Although she cares for him immensely, a new found hate has shifted her mindset in the aftermath of their break up.


“Zana, who is this?” Says her mother. Her abrupt return startles them both.


“Wow mom, way to give us a heads up. You scared the s**t out of me.”


“Watch your language Zana.” Her mother responds.


“I concur.” Says Weston. “So, you are Zana’s mother, am I correct?”


“I am. And who might you be?”


“Well madam, I am Weston Worthington lll. Son of Weston Worthington II. The rightful heir to the Worthington throne.”


“Oh yeah? I’ve never heard of you.” 


“Of course. You see, many individuals within the Milky Way are unaware of our existence. I am a Galzaran. We are a race of prestigious, and at times, isolated beings. We rank as some of the Galaxy's smartest and wealthiest individuals. Whether or not we choose to make that known to the public remains to be seen.”


“That’s all fine and dandy Mr. Worthington, but here’s what I would like to know, what exactly were you whispering to my daughter?”


“Well with your blessing of course, I was actually proposing that her and I should unite in marriage”


“Excuse me? You do realize my daughter is sixteen years old right?”


“So am I” Weston responds.


“That’s not the point.”


“Alright, knock it off.” Says Zana “Mom, just ignore Weston. That’s the only way to combat him. He harasses me with this crap all the time at school.”


“Wait, so you go to school with a prince? Is there something I’m missing here?”


“He’s one of the transfer students.”


“Indeed” Inputs Weston. “My mother and father believe that out of their twelve children, I am the most spoiled and pampered due to my young age. As a way of humbling me, I’ve been enrolled in standard public school since the age of ten.”


A female voice begins speaking through the ballroom’s intercom system.


“Attention, attention. The inauguration ceremony will begin in fifteen minutes. Any individuals occupying the inaugural ballroom, please make your way to the courtyard. Thank you.”


“Mom, that’s our que. Let’s ditch this werido.” Says Zana. As Zana prepares to leave, a sudden realization occurs to her.


“Zana slow down. We have more than enough time. Alright young man, although you’re a bit strange, for some reason, I still find you to be very charming. Hopefully you’ll find your bride someday. Have a great night Weston. Enjoy the inauguration.”


“Same to you miss Morvick. Oh, and Zana, please do not forget our… conversation.” He says with a jarring change in tone. Weston walks away and disappears into the crowd of exiting ceremony attendees.


“I don’t know Zana, he may be a little peculiar, but I still like him. You’re definitely not marrying him though.”


“Um… mom. Don’t get mad at me, but... we’re kinda missing someone.”


Her mother’s beautiful cat-like eyes, expand open in shock. She angrily swipes Zana across the face with her sharp claws.


“What the heck mom!” She shouts in pain. Blue colored blood begins trickling down her face. 


“Listen, no more of my kids are being taken away from me. So you're going to help me find Elo. Do you understand me?” She says sternly. 


“Kalani was only taken away because of you!” Shouts Zana. “If you weren't such a terrible mother, she would still be with us. Not in foster care. I'm going to go find Elo. And when I do, the both of us are running away. For good!


Zana storms off in search of her brother. Leaving her mother alone to sulk in regret.


Twenty-two light years away, Elias awakes from what seems like an unusually lengthful nap. He glances around, and inspects his environment. From Elias’s perspective, he appears to be in a very high scale hospital of sorts. The scrubs he’s wearing are made from an expensive looking fabric. Although he’s weak and disoriented, Elias attempts to stand up and explore his surroundings. 


He lifts himself out of the hospital bed, yet falls to the floor immediately. To his shock, the fall is not caused due to his uneasy legs. It is instead prompted by his lack thereof. Both of Elias’s legs have been amputated. In response to this realization, he lets out a wailing shout. 


“Ahhhhhh! Help! Help!”


A slew of familiar faces rush into the E.R room. Which include Elias’s various family members, along with Dex. His uncles immediately grab him and lift him up.


“Oh my God, he’s awake!” Shouts his cousin with joyful tears running down her face.


“What the heck is going on? Where are my legs!” Shouts Elias.


“The doctor will explain everything. We’re just glad you’re ok dude.” Says Dex


“You’ve been out for quite a minute young man” Says the Doctor.


“What happened?” Elias asks with urgency. 


“You know what, don’t worry Doc, I got this” Says Dex. “Elias someone tried to kill us.”


“Wait, what?”


“Someone put a hit out on both you and your mom. The both of us barely survived the explosion. Which uh… explains your whole legs situation.”


“Oh yeah… it’s coming back to me now.”


“You’ve been recovering for the last two weeks”


“Wait, what about you? You look fine. No missing limbs or anything” Elias says in confusion.


“Well your friend Dex is a Marinian.” The Doctor exclaims. “His race can heal wombs at an astounding rate as long as their body remains submerged beneath water. Most races in the cosmos can do the same under certain unique conditions. Unfortunately your human dna prevents you from having that luxury.” 


“Wait a minute… so if my mom’s dead, does that mean Brane Harloff… awe man don’t tell me.”


Dex sighs. “Sorry bro. His inauguration ceremony is tonight. He’ll become sworn in as new leader in a few minutes actually. Zana and her Mom had an extra ticket to attend the ceremony. They wanted me to go along with them. But after what happened… I’m now one-hundred percent sure you were right. About everything. Other people have realized this as well. The aftermath of your mom’s death changed a lot of mindsets across the galaxy. However there’s not much we can do now. It’s over. I’m so sorry man. For not believing you.”


“I don’t know. In all honesty, I don’t think there was much anyone could have done to change this outcome. The invasion is coming. So as of right now… all we can do is brace ourselves for the inevitable. So do any of you know where we are? I don’t think I’ve been in this hospital before.”


“Well as a Galzaran citizen, I believe I would be the best individual to inform of your location.” Says the Doctor. “You are currently residing in Echros. The capital city of the royal planet known as Galzar.” 


“Wait, isn’t that where the rich kid from school lives? Weston right?” Responds Elias.


“Indeed. Once Prince Weston learned of the horrible incident that occurred, he alerted his father. Considering you are one of Weston’s classmates, our King decided to send your damaged body here to Galzar. And for good reason. Our medical specialists rank as some of the highest trained in the Milky Way. However enough chit chatting, I’ve been informed by our King’s royal advisors that he would like to schedule a meeting with you Mr. Adwell.”


“I’m pretty sure Elias can speak for himself, but he’s kinda going through a lot emotionally and physically right now. I don’t think he wants to meet some King.” Says Dex.


“No Dex. I think I actually want to go through with this. Think about it, if this planet owns has as much wealth as it presents, that would mean the leader of this planet would have to be a very powerful, and important individual within the political landscape of the Galaxy. Am I right Doctor?”


“Correct”


“Which also means he could play an essential role in helping us, the average citizens of the Galaxy, in exposing Brane. Stopping his plans right in their tracks.”


“Alright bro, if you really think this’ll work, I’m with you all the way.” Says Dex.


“Good. Thanks for the support man. Alright Doc, I accept the King’s offer to meet. As long as Dex can accompany me.” 


“Not a problem. Our King’s advisors will escort you to the royal palace shortly” 


Meanwhile, halfway across the cosmos....


The raging anger inside Zana’s heart drives her as she vigorously searches the emptying ballroom for her brother. 


“Where the hell is he?” She mumbles to herself.


A nearby security android takes notice of Zana. It walks up to her, and gently taps her on the shoulder.


“Excuse me young lady, you seem to be lost. Can I assist you?” It politely asks. 


“I don’t need any assistance. Get out of my way you stupid robot.”


“I’m afraid I cannot leave a person as young as yourself unattended without adult supervision.” The android responds. 


“What? I’m sixteen. What the hell are you talking about? Move!” 


In a pit of frustration, Zana angrily shoves the Android with all of her strength. It violently falls to the floor, drawing in the attention of nearby security bots. Their calm blue robotic eyes suddenly begin glowing dark red in color.


“You have assaulted an officer of the law. For that, you must be apprehended.” Says the fallen robot whose piercing eyes have also began to glow red.”


“Like hell I am!” Zana quickly sprints towards the ballroom’s exit doors, promoting the androids to rocket boost after her. 


Zana looks ahead and spots a large security bot blocking the exit. 


“Ugh! You’ve gotta be kidding me!” Zana shouts to herself.


To it’s surprise, Zana does not stop. Nor does she slow down. She instead accelerates her running speed. The android braces itself for Zana’s incoming attack. However in an unexpected turn of events, Zana skillfully slides beneath it’s agape legs. She then regains her footing and quickly dashes outside into the courtyard. Leaving the android in a state of complete disbelief.


Zana disappears into the massive crowd of ceremony attendees occupying the courtyard. While stopping and gasping for air, she takes a second to survey her surroundings. She glances around and spots Weston standing in the distance. She tiredly walks towards his direction.


“You know what Weston, life is a b***h. A cold hearted b***h.” Zana says as she accompanies him. 


“Oh, well look who it is?” He sarcastically responds.


“Shut your mouth Weston, and don’t ask me why I’m out of breath. That’s my own business.”


“Well I just assumed it was due to your sporadic search for this young man right here.” Weston steps back, and standing beside him, is none other than Zana’s brother, Elo.”


“Wait, what!” She shouts with overwhelming joy. “Where was he?”


“Well I actually found him wandering around near one of the refreshment stations. In a somewhat related note, the vendors here serve incredible Zylac Juice. Top notch.” 


“Honestly, you deserve a huge hug right now. Thanks. I really owe you one.”


“I definitely would not say no to said hug. It would truly be the highlight of my evening.”


“Yeah, keep dreaming. So what the hell’s going on? Has the ceremony started yet?”


“Indeed it has. However we’re currently waiting for Brane to arrive. I find it very unnerving that the Galaxy’s newly elected leader is fashionably late to his own inauguration. Unfortunately, I would be lying if I said that was the only unnerving thought I’ve had about tonight.” 


Zana lets out a heavy sigh. Although she tries to fight it, Weston’s words persuade her to speak. 


“You know what… I’m just gonna say it. Elias… he was right. About everything. And in all honesty… the entire Galaxy is looking kinda screwed at the moment.” Says Zana as regretful tears swell up in her eyes. 


“Kinda, you say? I do not believe that phrase accurately demonstrates how catastrophically dire our situation is.”


“What do you mean?” 


“Allow me to elaborate. As it currently stands, the Milky Way Galaxy is one chest move away from a complete government collapse. All of the pieces are in place, all except one. That one chest piece… being Brane Harloff. The moment he’s sworn in as leader, the Milky Way Galaxy will be put into a game ending checkmate. One I’m not quite sure any of us are truly prepared for. An endgame is upon us.”


Beautifully orchestrated music begins to play as fireworks light up the night sky above the courtyard. Reigniting the nearly faded excitement within the crowd. In the distance, a transport jet can be seen converging towards the courtyard. 


“It seems that our long awaited guest has arrived” Weston sarcastically remarks to Zana. 


“You’re really making jokes at a time like this?”


“I’m simply lighting the somber mood. That’s all.” 


The jet arrives and begins slowly descending onto the large circular announcement stage. Which stands in the center of the brightly lit courtyard. The crowd of cheering attendees circle around the stage with excitement. 


An uneasy feeling takes over Zana’s body as Brane steps out of the transport jet. Her cybernetic eye sensors begin to twitch and vibrate due to her increasing anxiety.

“Calm yourself Zana” Weston says to comfort her. 


“I’ll be alright.”


Harloff adjusts his microphone and thoroughly clears his throat through the mic. The crowd falls completely silent as they eagerly await for him to speak. His physical appearance alone is enough to draw attention. 


His towering height, and muscular physique complement the depth in his voice. Some individuals throughout the galaxy see his battered reptile-like skin, and turn away in disgust. While others look past his appearance, and see a man destined to change the political landscape of the galaxy.


“Welcome!” He says into the mic. His booming voice echoes across the courtyard.


Nearly the entire population of the Milky Way Galaxy have their eyes and ears glued to their transceiver screens. Including Elias, who’s experiencing severe anxiety. Simply because he knows that at this moment, the Milky Way Galaxy is in it’s final hours. What he, and many others know as home, will soon be no more.


(Lightyears away…)


The broadcast of the inauguration begins to overwhelm Elias. Although he’s watching it with the comfort of his friends and family while resting in the E.R room, his anxiety still plagues him.


“I’m sorry guys, but… I can’t watch this.” Says Elias. He quickly exits the room on his newly received gravity chair. He hovers out of the E.R room and begins to exit the hospital.”


“Don’t worry guys. I’ll see what’s up with him.” Dex says to Elias’s family. He exits the hospital, yet finds no sign of Elias.


“He couldn’t have gone too far” Dex mumbles to himself. 


The grand city of Echros, also known as The Royal Metropolis. A city sprawling with breathtaking scenery. Beautifully architected pyramids decorate the skyline. As well as towering statues of prince Weston that are scattered across the city’s vast landscape.


Out in the distance, Dex spots Elias hovering over the Royal Echros Lake. He rips off his shirt, and opens his gills. Dex dashes towards the lake’s shoreline and leaps in. His body instantaneously morphs into its native form as he submerges. Dex’s gills expand, and most of his human-like features instantly fade away. 


He torpedos his body through the lake at a bullet-like speed. As he approaches his destination, he gradually begins to decelerate. Dex stops directly below Elias. The energy pulsing from the bottom of his Gravity Chair is causing a ripple across the lake’s surface.


Dex emerges out of the water and greets Elias.


“Woah, dude, you ok?” Dex sees a look on Elias’s face that shocks him. One that he’s never seen in their twelve years of friendship. A look of complete and utter despair.


“This could’ve been prevented. I had the knowledge, and I damn sure had the will… but when it all came down to it… I wasn’t able to change a thing.” Elias says soberly as he blankly stares at his reflection shown on the water’s surface.


“Elias, listen to me. Do you know who you are? Seriously man. Do you?” 


“What do you mean?” 


“What do I mean? Bro... you’re Elias freaking Adwell. Son of Jonz Adwell. The most legendary hero to ever live. You’re his only child, meaning you’re his legacy. Your drive and perseverance should be just as strong as his. And guess what… it definitely is. I’ve seen it with my own two eyes. You remember when we first met each other? Back when we attended the all human school?”


Elias chuckles. “Yeah, everyone thought you were a swamp monster that was going to eat us. But to me you looked cool. You reminded me of a character from an old film. The Creature From The Black Lagoon I think. I found the movie in one of my dad’s old starships. 


“Ok, tell me something, even if you never saw the movie, would you have been afraid of me?”


“No.”


“Why?”


“My dad went up against an army of Spraxans. I know what those things look like. They’re like something out of a horror film. But he was never afraid of them. After he liberated Zalderon, he confronted the Emperor of the Spraxans on their own homeplanet. He punched the emperor right in its snout. Hearing stories like that made me fearless. It made me feel like I could accomplish anything.”


“So where’s that side of you now?” Asks Dex.


“I don’t know.”


“Elias… did you know that you were the only thing that kept me from committing suicide back then? I need you to be that same friend that got me through those hard times. It's time to get some s**t done man.”


Elias takes a long pause 


“You know what Dex.” Elias says with confidence in his voice. “You’re damn right it is.”


A huge smile spreads across Dex’s face. 


“Woo! We're back baby!” Shouts Dex. 


“Alright man, when are we meeting the King?” Asks Elias.


“His advisors are supposed to meet us at the hospital any minute now.”


“Gotcha. Need a lift?”


Dex leaps out of the water, and grabs onto the back of Elias’s gravity chair. The two of them dart off towards the hospital.




© 2019 Midnighter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on June 27, 2019
Last Updated on June 27, 2019


Author

Midnighter
Midnighter

Columbia, SC



About
I love to write stories that expand the creative thinking capability of the individuals who read them. I have no bias towards any one genre but if I had to choose, it would be either Sci-Fi or Thrille.. more..

Writing