Chapter 2: Division Amongst the Galaxy

Chapter 2: Division Amongst the Galaxy

A Chapter by Midnighter

A small portion of the crowd applaws Elias’s speech, while others sit in unconvinced silence. The long trip home from the United Venus Embassy Hall is an almost unbearable one. However Elias’s aquatic bestfriend, Dex Manu, offers some stress relief as the two of them cruise back home at lightspeed. Elias’s physical appearance remains somewhat human, despite him being the spawn of an alien mother. However in contrast, his friend Dex appears to be an aquatic, humanoid alien. The two shark-like fins protruding out of his scaly, shirtless back, insinuate his oceanic appearance.


“Eh, don’t worry man. Everyone hates public speaking.” Says Dex. The gills on his neck fold open as he speaks. 


“That’s not the issue. I’m just a little worried about how things are going to turn out. If my mom isn’t elected, Brane Harloff will definitely be the next in line to win. I’ve done my research. He’s a former spraxan military advisor. He plans on infiltrating us from the inside, and over throwing the alliance.” Elias insists.


“Dude, your conspiracies are next level.” Dex responds with a chuckle.


“I’m serious!”


“Look man, I’m ok with giving you a ride home, but I spent hours yesterday listening to you talk about how the government is using solar energy to create Spraxan military weapons. So let’s cool it with the conspiracy theories for now. Oh, by the way do you wanna stop by Europa and grab something to eat? It’s on me.” 


“Nah it’s a little hard to work up an appetite when a complete government overthrow is being plotted against the galaxy. I’ll pass.” 


“Suit yourself man.”


Elias and Dex stop at a small diner located on Jupiter's moon, Europa. The medium sized space pod the duo are traveling in slowly descends onto the moon’s icy surface. 


“Alright man, you're sure you don’t want anything?”


“Positive.” 


“Alright. I’ll be back in a sec.” Dex activates his sub-zero oxygen mask, and steps out into the moon’s cold atmosphere. His fish-like skin immediately begins to shrivel. Dex hastily dashes into the diner in an effort to escape the bitter cold. As he bursts through the diner’s double doors he unintentionally knocks a person to the ground.


“Hey, watch it you piece of s**t!” Angrily shouts the individual he misguidedly ran into. The person in question is a young female who’s sporting a completely shaven head. Both of her eyes appear to be missing. It seems that they have been replaced with two eye-ball-like, robotic sensors. One for each socket. The gothic attire she's wearing is complemented by the many goth inspired tattoos etched on her neck and cleavage.


“Oh, sorry. Wait a minute… Zana? What the heck are you doing on this side of the galaxy?”


“How about you mind your own damn business, Dex. The better question would be what the heck are you doing all the way out here?” Asks Zana as she stands up and brushes herself off.


“Elias had a speech to give at the Embassy Hall on Venus. He asked if I could take him home afterwards. For the last couple of weeks he’s been helping his mom promote her campaign.”


“Yeah, a campaign she’s not going to win” Says Zana. “The Galactic Alliance’s entire system is a sham. The laws in place dictate that all planets within the galaxy are supposed to share their wealth and resources with other planets within the alliance, right? However that’s complete and utter bullshit.


I come from one of the poorest planets in this sector. None of my people are gaining the wealth and benefits we’re supposed to be receiving. Not only that, but crime and unvaccinated diseases are running rampant. I hope Brane Harloff wins next week. Elias and his mom should stay out of politics and head back to their stupidly expensive farmhouse estate back on Kronan.”


“Boy, I sure do love hearing you rant about how much you still love Elias.” Dex responds sarcastically.


“What?! Was that supposed to be a joke or something?” She exclaims in a flabbergasted tone of voice.


“Hey, all I’m saying is that it’s a little suspicious that all of a sudden, you’d change your political outlook after Elias broke up with you.” 


“Dex, I have an honest question for you. Are you legitimately trying to get your a*s kicked right now?”


“Woah, woah, chill out Zana. I’m just joking.”


“Wow, I swear, out of all the humanoid subspecies, you Marinians have some of the worst tastes in humor. By the way, where is he?” 


“Who? Elias? He’s outside waiting in the pod.” Says Dex.


“That prick still owes me thirty-two erons. I’ll be back”


“What a terrible excuse. Corillans are such bad liars. If you wanted to go make out with him you could have just said it. I can give you two some alone time out there.” Dex says teasingly.


Zana kicks Dex’s knee and storms off. Dex falls to the floor and begins hysterically laughing while gripping his knee.


Outside within the warm confines of the transport pod, Elias is impatiently waiting.


“What’s taking so long?” Elias mumbles to himself. His communication transceiver begins to ring. Elias recognizes the number and swifty answers it.


“Hey, what’s going on mom?”


“Hi honey. I just finished watching your speech on television. I’m so thankful that you’re taking such passionate strives to help me promote my campaign. You conducted yourself extremely well. I’m very proud of you Elias.”


“Woah, wait, it was broadcasted on T.V?”


“Sure was. It was casted throughout the entire galaxy’s airways. Billions saw it.”


“Wow, no one told me that. Was my hair ok? Did I stutter at all?”


Salera giggles at Elias


“No, no, it was fine honey. So, are you prepared for your research trip?”


“Yep. All of the paperwork is filled out, and I’ve already packed.”


“Great. Well, I have to go sweety. I have an assembly to attend. Also, make sure you don’t spend too much time with that Marinian boy. I don’t want you to get into any trouble.”


“Don’t worry, I won’t. Love you mom”


“Love you too” 


Light Years away, a small, two passenger escort shuttle zooms past a cluster of dwarf stars. Inside, Elias’s mother checks the time on her transceiver. Her conversation with him temporarily halted her sense of time.


“Oh my goodness! Excuse me sir, I’m sorry to bother you, but I’m terribly behind schedule at the moment. Is there anyway we could get to our destination a tad bit faster?” She urgently asks the ship’s chauffeur sitting adjacent to her.


“I’m very sorry for the inconvenience miss, but it seems that there was an unexpected cosmic radiation burst that occurred near the Galean Star system. Which is directly inroute to our location. A short detour must be made to avoid radiation sickness.


“Oh for God’s sake. It seems like I can never catch a break lately.”


“Yeah, it’s unfortunate but radiation bursts are extremely common around this area. Hey I’m sorry to eavesdrop on you Miss Salera, but was that your son you were speaking to by any chance?”


“It was. I assume you saw his speech?”


“I did actually. Very riveting.” 


“I second that. Elias is a very special young man. I love him more than anything else in the world. He reminds me a lot of his father.”


“Ah, yes, the infamous Jonz B Adwell. The cocky, irrigant, genocidal maniac. I know of him... I actually know a lot about Mr. Adwell.”


The chauffeur gradually lowers the ship’s radio volume until it falls completely silent. An eerie quietness takes over the pod. Salera’s heart rate slowly picks up speed as an uneasy tension gradually builds. The mysterious deaths of her two previous campaign opponents, has made her extra cautious and wary of situations like this. Too afraid to speak, she attempts to call authorities. However her phone signal is lost. Salera works up the nerve to speak.


“Ex...Excuse me but… do you think we could travel to an area that could allow me to pick up a better signal? I-I have to make a quick phone call.”


“You know Miss Salera... history is a funny thing isn’t it? We’re taught it from a very young age. Primarily by people who were never there to experience it. I mean, who’s to say what we’re being taught is something of actual validity? Because maybe, just maybe, there are some corrupt individuals out there who don’t want us to know the truth. 


Here’s a crazy thought… what if, sixteen years ago, there was no invading empire threatening to annihilate the Milky Way Galaxy.


What if, the peaceful race known as the Spraxans were part of an elaborate lie. One in which involved the Milky Way Galaxy, along with Mr. Jonz Adwell. What if the Spraxan Imperial Armada was attacked not because they were invading, but because they were simply defending themselves against greedy, resource hungry invaders… just a thought… that’s all.”


“Well... I’m sure that would be one hell of a conspiracy.” Salera nervously responds.


Quietness takes over once again. 


“Conspiracy, eh? Interesting way to describe it. I've heard some refer to this as an urban legend. Others have even deemed it a fairy tail. However just like most legends or tails, there is truth hidden within the narrative. The question is, what will occur once it's proven that this narrative is not only true, but true in its entirety. How will the people of the Milky Way Galaxy react? Or yet, the better question would be… how will the devastated and angry Spraxans react. 


Well… in truth… I am one of those Spraxans. My mother and father were killed by a collapsed building. A collapse caused due to a human made fighter ship blasting it with a bombardment of neutron missiles. And who was the monstrous pilot of said ship you may ask? None other than Jonz Adwell.”


“Sir… I am so, so sorry that you believe these things occurred. However I know my husband. He would never do such a thing to innocent lives. Never!”


“You, and countless others are trapped. You're trapped within the realms of your own mind. Unwilling to accept the thoughts and beliefs of others. However these are far from just simple beliefs. These are indisputable facts. So with that, I leave you with these final words miss Salera. 


What's coming for the milky way galaxy is not something that can be avoided. A long overdue reckoning is approaching. So for your son's sake, pray in these last few moments that he survives. Because as it stands… no God, nor man, can save him from what's upon the horizon.”


The pilot positions the escort ship in front of a nearby asteroid. Before Salera even gets a chance to react, he fires up the ship’s thrusters and zooms forward. Killing both himself and Salera as they violently crash directly into the asteroid. The force of the crash causes an eminence explosion. Drawing in the attention of near by authorities.


Back on Europa, Elias has drifted off to sleep with in the transport pod. Just as he has since childhood, he innocently dreams of traversing unknown areas of the cosmos with his father. It feels so surreal to him. Not the idea of exploring unknown frontiers of the universe, but the idea of him spending time with his father. For Elias, Jonz Adwell is not the legendary hero who saved the Milky Way Galaxy. In his eyes, he is much, much more than that. 


He views him as something he desperately aspires to be. Despite not knowing him personally, he feels that he holds a special connection with him that transcends their tied kinship.


“Hey!” (*knock*) (*knock*) “Hey!” (*knock*) (*knock*) “Wake up!”


The sound of knocking upon the pod’s cyberglass windows awakes Elias from his sleep. However more so, he awakes due to the sound of a familiar female voice.


“Ugh!” Elias shouts with groggy frustration. “What do you want Zana?”


“Just open the window hatch.” 


Elias reluctantly follows her request.


“So I'm guessing you're here for the erons, right?” Elias mumbles while rubbing his tired eyes.


“You're damn right I am.”


Elias reaches into his pocket and grabs his wallet. 


“So are you going on the school research trip next week?” He inquires while gathering eron coins.


“Duh. That's why I need the money genius. We're going to be gone for over a month. I need to buy some travel essentials”


“Hey, I was just asking. So, how's your little brother? Is he still sick?”


“We live on a disease ridden waste disposal planet. Of course he's still sick. Enough with the small talk Elias. Hand me the money so I can head home already. It's freezing out here.”


“ELIAS! ELIAS!” Shouts Dex as he painstakingly sprints towards the pod. Once he arrives, he's almost out of breath. The look of anguish on his face is almost indescribable.


“Dex, what the hell’s going on?” Zana asks with urgency.


“E-Elias… your… your mom’s dead.”


At that moment, It felt as if Elias’s heart dropped to his feet.


“Wait, what!” Elias shouts in shock.


Dex quickly jumps inside the pod. 


“It's all over the news!” He shouts. He boots up the pod’s HD hologram monitor and tunes into a local news station. 


A well dressed news anchor is in the midst of a live report. 


“Our sources tell us that the catastrophic explosion that occurred near the Galen Star system was fatal. Authorities have identified the two dead individuals. Iken Watson, and Salera Onvoi. The cause of said explosion is currently unknown. As new details release, we will continue to update our viewers.” 


The range of emotion Elias is experiencing is monumental. Dex turns and gazes at Elias who is blankly staring at the montor.


“Elias, you ok man?” Asks Dex.


“So… they think they can just wipe us out huh?” Elias mumbles to himself while trying to hold back his anger induced tears.


“Elias, The Spraxans have nothing to do with this.” Says Dex.


“They have everything to do with this!” He shouts in response. 


“Elias, chill out.” Says Zana


“No, I’m not! Everyone, literally everyone, thinks I’m some nut job conspiracist obsessed with the idea that our government is slowly being taken over. Well news flash! It is! And if this isn’t enough proof for you, I don’t know what is.”


“Yeah, this is getting uncomfortable. I’m out of here. Peace.” Zana exits the pod and heads back inside the diner.


“Elias, just listen to me. I know you’re hurt, but you can’t blame this on the Spraxans without having any valid evidence.”


Elias sighs in frustration.


“You know what... forget it. Just take me home.” 


*BEEEEEEP*


Dex turns and looks at Elias


“Um… is your transceiver ringing or something? 


“Uh… no.”


“Well what was that?”


*BEEEEEEP*


Dex begins glancing around the pod in an effort to locate the mysterious sound.


“Elias, are you messing with me bro?”


“I don’t know what the hell that is. Just take me home”


*BEEEEEEP*


“Wait a minute…” Dex attempts to open the pod’s doors. 


“Access can not be granted. Pod doors are permanently locked.” Speaks the pod’s automated A.I system.


“Ok, Elias, I want you to grab whatever you can find in here, and throw it at the doors and windows. NOW!” Yells Dex.


“Why? Are we stuck or something? Just reconfigure the passcode.”


“Dude we’re trapped! And I think there’s an explosive attached to the---- 


*BOOOOOM* 



© 2019 Midnighter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
Added on June 27, 2019
Last Updated on June 27, 2019


Author

Midnighter
Midnighter

Columbia, SC



About
I love to write stories that expand the creative thinking capability of the individuals who read them. I have no bias towards any one genre but if I had to choose, it would be either Sci-Fi or Thrille.. more..

Writing