Welcome to Spokane Heights

Welcome to Spokane Heights

A Chapter by Marcy Chavez

“Welcome to Spokane Heights College. Home of the Hawks”. That’s the big red signboard Robert saw from his window as his mother stopped the car.

As he was taking off his seat belt, thousands of thoughts invaded his mind. His hands felt ice cold and his heart was throbbing faster inside his chest. He stepped out of the car and looked around him, all the people that could be seen outside was the janitor sweeping away the sidewalk. Caroline walked towards him to ask about where the registration office was. Robert stays behind looking at the building. He had not accepted the idea of being in a complete different place yet.

“Let’s go Robert”. She called him as the janitor told her where the registration office was.

They walked inside the building and all the students were in class, but there was a few of them walking out in the hallways. As Robert crossed paths with them he noticed how different their dressing style was from people in England. He looked to the sides as he continued walking behind his mother. Some of the classrooms had the doors half way open and he could catch a glimpse of the students inside, and some of them would look back at Robert with bewilderment. Who was that guy walking out in the hallway?. You could easily tell he was not from here just by the way he was dressed, no one in the college dressed like that.

They arrived at the registration office and Caroline handed the previously filled forms to the secretary.

“So you are Robert Tyler Graham?”. The secretary said looking at Robert as she was reading his identification card.

“Yes Ma’am”. He answered, nervously placing his right thumb inside his left hand and looking down.

Robert could be very shy when he met new people or talked to strange people. He had been like this since he was little.

“And you are from England right? I can tell because of your beautiful accent”. The secretary told him. She had noticed the nervousness reflected on his eyes, and she was trying to make him feel comfortable.

“When can he start school?”. Caroline asked as the secretary was verifying Robert’s information.

“He will be ready to start as soon as tomorrow, all we need is to enter all of his information on the system and it should be all done”. The secretary replied.

As they were waiting for the secretary to complete the registration an advertisement on the office’s board caught Robert’s attention. It was about a music club that was being formed at the college where students could learn to play a musical instrument and have the chance to form a band. Music was like oxygen to him, he couldn't live without it. He was already hoping to join the club once he was officially a student there.

“All righty Mr. Graham you are all set to start tomorrow, classes start at eight sharp and there is only a fifteen "minute tardiness tolerance, after that you will have to see the principal. Here’s also your locker number and your key.”- She said as she handed Robert his school Identification card and his locker room key.

“Thank you”.- He replied to her as  he placed the key inside his jeans pockets.

“All right Mrs. Graham I think that’s it, his classes schedule will be provided to him tomorrow. And If you have any other question you can always call our main office, here is the number”. The secretary told Caroline as she handed her a card with the College’s information.

“Thank you very much”.

They headed out of the building to the parking lot.

“You should have left me enjoy one more day off mom”. Robert protested as he waited for his mother to open the car.

“It’s almost Summer vacation Robert, you have to catch up with your classes”. She answered as she looked for her keys inside her purse.

“Two more days wouldn't hurt anyone mom, really”. Robert insisted as he got in the car’s front passenger seat placing his feet up on the dashboard. He knew how much his mother hated when he does that, and he was doing it as his way to protest.

But Caroline knew him very well and she was trying hard to resist the need to scold him. Not this time, she knew it was his way to say he didn't agree with her about whatever it was the matter. So instead of giving him what he wanted, she just turned on the radio and started humming to the music as she drive back home. Robert just looked out of the window without saying anything. His elbow was leaning on the window’s edge and he leaned his cheek on his hand. What tortured him the most was, to think that was just the first day out of 730 he had left to live in that city.

“You might hate me right now Robert, but you will thank me for things like this when you are older”. His mother told him as she pulled on the driveway. Barely looking at her, he took off his seat belt and got out of the car to quickly walk inside the house, leaving his mother behind.

Later that day, James had gone out and Caroline and Claudine were planning to go to the grocery store. Robert was in his room, he was sitting up on his bed with his acoustic guitar on his hands and looking out of the window as the sun was setting.

“Claudine and I, are going to the store, is there anything you need?”. Caroline asked Robert as she opened his door. He just nodded at her. “All right, we’ll be right back then”. She told him closing the door. Leaving Robert alone at home.



© 2014 Marcy Chavez


Author's Note

Marcy Chavez
Reviews are the greatest reward for me! -Thanks

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Now this chapter holds an interesting story. I really wasn't reading the chapter but "Watching a movie indeed" it takes a new turn in "Robert's life" A one day earlier he was just at his home talking to his father but today he's now at a new place, in a new school with the new students and of course, with the new Environment.... I think, yeah, it couldn't be so easy for his pretty mom to let him stay away from her presence but she'd to do because she loves him and she knows very well, what's best for "Robert" and his life ... Now, this chapter takes a very interesting U-Turn in Robert's life ..now we've to see, what happens next when he stays and attends his class in a new school with the new students and the one more thing, we've to see that does he make himself feel comfortable around new students or not? Does he make new friends or not? And so on ..such kinda question's answer we gotta find and we'll find it in the next chapters :) Ha!

What a great chapter, ok! ok! fine! sorry, but this one chapter is my fav. one too :) Ha!

Your awesome, Marcy! I think, your gonna break the records of great professional writers. Ha!
100/100!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marcy Chavez

10 Years Ago

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to read and leave your review is very kind of you.. read more
Neon

10 Years Ago

Hey there, you beautiful one, thanks! Thanks for replying me on my comments, Thank god, my comment's.. read more



Reviews

Now this chapter holds an interesting story. I really wasn't reading the chapter but "Watching a movie indeed" it takes a new turn in "Robert's life" A one day earlier he was just at his home talking to his father but today he's now at a new place, in a new school with the new students and of course, with the new Environment.... I think, yeah, it couldn't be so easy for his pretty mom to let him stay away from her presence but she'd to do because she loves him and she knows very well, what's best for "Robert" and his life ... Now, this chapter takes a very interesting U-Turn in Robert's life ..now we've to see, what happens next when he stays and attends his class in a new school with the new students and the one more thing, we've to see that does he make himself feel comfortable around new students or not? Does he make new friends or not? And so on ..such kinda question's answer we gotta find and we'll find it in the next chapters :) Ha!

What a great chapter, ok! ok! fine! sorry, but this one chapter is my fav. one too :) Ha!

Your awesome, Marcy! I think, your gonna break the records of great professional writers. Ha!
100/100!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marcy Chavez

10 Years Ago

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to read and leave your review is very kind of you.. read more
Neon

10 Years Ago

Hey there, you beautiful one, thanks! Thanks for replying me on my comments, Thank god, my comment's.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

360 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 16, 2014
Last Updated on January 16, 2014
Tags: A million hearts, chapter, one, the unfamiliar, Love, Family, Friendship, Drama, Romance


Author

Marcy Chavez
Marcy Chavez

Andheri, TX, India



About
Obviously my passion is writing. And writing is a gift I have to thank my wonderful father for, because he is a great writer .To me writing is the best way to get out my deepest feelings and to expres.. more..

Writing
Part One Part One

A Chapter by Marcy Chavez


Part Two Part Two

A Chapter by Marcy Chavez


Part Three Part Three

A Chapter by Marcy Chavez