Worried

Worried

A Chapter by Marcy Chavez

On Friday, the day seemed to past faster for Robert. After the classes were over he went to walk through the hallways as he wanted to get to know the school better so he wouldn’t get easily lost anymore. As he was walking he saw a poster about the band the school was forming, it was the same one he have seen on the first day he entered the building. They were looking for a drummer and a guitar player. To him, playing the guitar was more than just a hobby, it was a passion. At first he hesitated about signing his name but he finally did it.

Now there was something about the school that he could like, and something he wanted to be part of. Since the auditions were happening on Monday that gave him a great opportunity to rehearse and catch up with his skills during the weekend.

Growing up with his best friend Simon had been the best memories of his life yet. They would skip classes sometimes to practice the guitar, to go to concerts. And almost every afternoon after school they would gather at Simon’s house to try new songs or improve their skills. Their friendship was almost like the relationship between two brothers.

Robert was at home that Friday afternoon. After spending time on his room playing his guitar, he went to the kitchen and pours himself a bowl of cereal. There was no one else at home but him. Walking to the living room with the bowl on his hand he sat on the couch and turned on the television.

Meanwhile at Nerissa’s home, her mother, Tess, was making dinner. Chicken breasts with mushrooms and broccoli. Tess worked as a nutritionist and so she was always trying to cook healthy for her and her daughter. Nerissa came down the stairs walking with a towel wrapped on her wet hair as she had just got out of the shower.

“Smells good mom”. She told Tess as she looked at the oven.

“Honey, the kid who was here yesterday, does he lives here?”. Tess asked.

“Yes, he lives in the house next door, the one that was up for sale”. Nerissa replied. She knew where her mother was going with that question. She always wanted to know everything about the neighbors.

“I see. The guy looks strange but the little girl seemed cute. You know what, I have been thinking about asking them to come over to have dinner and get to know them better, what do you think?”. Tess asked her daughter.

The look on her face quickly changed from a smile to a frown. She certainly didn’t want Robert inside her house, but once her mother took a decision, she knew it was impossible to convince her to take it back.

“Mom, but we don’t know anything about them, they are strangers!”. Nerissa desperately told her mother trying to change her mind.

But Tess was not going to change her mind, she wanted to know her new neighbors and she was going to invite them.

“Mom that guy goes to the same school I go to!”. Nerissa told her desperate.

“And so what’s the problem with that?”. Tess asked her crossing her arms.

“You know is always awkward to see someone from school at your house?”.

“Awkward,but why? I mean you barely know him, therefore it shouldn’t feel awkward”.

Tess ignored the way Robert made Nerissa feel every time he looked at her, he was intimidating and scary.

Well you will have to show some maturity because they will come this Sunday afternoon.

“What if they say no?”. Nerissa asked.

“Well in that case the dinner will be just you and me, as always”. Her mother replied to her before taking the chicken out of the oven.

Nerissa returned to her room to brush her hair. She was looking at herself on the mirror and as she glanced out the window she could see Robert’s house and she wondered if that guy was really what he seemed. If he was coming to her house it was better to start to overcome her fear of him. She grabbed her phone and dialed Devin’s number.

She told him about Sunday’s dinner and decided to invite him. She would feel a lot safer with him on her side; after all she didn’t need her mother’s permission to invite her boyfriend to her house.

“So your mother is going to ask the time traveler’s family to your house, I didn’t know he was your neighbor”. Devin said.

“Yes, I tried to convince her not to, but she won’t change her mind you know my mom”.

“Yes, but don’t worry I will be there to protect you from the weirdo”. Devin chuckled.

“Thank you baby I knew I could count on you, I love you so much”.

“Me too, I love you a lot. And so can I stay to sleep with you Sunday night then?”.

“I don’t think so Devin”. Nerissa told him.

Now it was past 10pm and Robert’s parents haven’t arrived home yet, he was starting to get worried. Her mother had left her cellphone at the house and her father didn’t answer his. Every time he heard a car approaching he’d get up from the couch and look out the window. But now it was 11pm and his eyes felt tired of looking at the bright light on the television screen, they finally gave up and he fall asleep on the couch.

It was around 1am when Caroline, James and Claudine arrived home. As they entered they noticed the house was silent, Caroline went up to check on Robert at his room. She noticed his bed was empty and she worried he might have run away or something. She walked to her room and told her husband that Robert was not on his room. James quickly went downstairs decided to go outside to look for him but Claudine stopped him and told him her brother was sleeping like a baby on the couch. As James and Caroline checked on the living room they saw him there as he was peacefully sleeping.

“Should we leave him here?”. Claudine asked her father.

“Yes, looks like he is comfy”. James said.

Caroline took a blanket from the closet and placed it over him. She then kissed him on the forehead.

“Come on sweetie let’s go to bed”. She whispered to Claudine trying not to wake Robert.

They went upstairs and turned the lights off. The only light that illuminated the living room was the one coming from out the window.

After a few hours feeling he was not on his bed, Robert woke up. He was a bit confused when he first opened his eyes, everything was silent and dark, the only noise he could hear was the kitchen’s clock ticking, then he noticed the blanket and he knew it had been his mother. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to go back to his room or just stay there, so he just seated up on the couch to stretch his arms for a moment, then his father came down the stairs. Robert looked at him as James walked to the kitchen and opened the cabinet to grab a glass.

“Sorry did I wake you?”. James asked Robert as he noticed he was awake and looking at him.

“No, don’t worry”. Robert replied as he rubbed his eyes with his hand.

“I got thirsty, I just needed a cold glass of water, you want some?”. James asked Robert as he poured water from the fridge dispenser to his glass.

Robert didn’t answer, instead he walked towards his father and leaning on the counter, he looked at him.

“I was very worried about you, my mom left her phone here and I had no idea where you were”. Robert said to his father trying to hear a fair reason for them not to think about him getting worried.

“Sorry about that Robert, the car had a flat tire and it took forever to find a place to fix it, and I forgot my phone at the base”. James replied before taking another sip of his glass of water.

“You know Claudine is very upset about you leaving again, when are you going to stop doing this?”. Robert said crossing his arms.

Judging by his voice, James knew that what he pretended was to make him feel guilty about it. He put his glass down and leaned against the counter next to Robert.

He looked down and took a deep sigh. “Robert I know you hate me because I haven’t been a good father to you, but everyone makes mistakes, I’m not perfect”.

“You haven’t been a good father? I’d say you haven’t been a father at all”. He sarcastically chuckled. It was very hard for him to believe his father whenever he told him he felt bad about not being there for him when he needed him the most.

“I see your opinion about me is very firm, and I won’t give you an argument trying to change it, instead I will give you reasons. Good night Robert.” James told him walking back to his room. James didn’t need to talk with Robert to realize how resentful he was with him; he could see it on his eyes and perceive it on his voice. Somehow he wanted to make things up for him but Robert hardly gave him the chance, it was like if he was walking away from him farther and farther every time.

Robert just looked at him walk away without saying a word. Sometimes he just wished his father would have had that attitude a few years ago and not when it was already too late.

 

 



© 2014 Marcy Chavez


Author's Note

Marcy Chavez
I know this chapter might be boring but is something I needed to write in order to connect with the upcoming chapters. Thanks everyone who are reading! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

449 Views
Added on February 1, 2014
Last Updated on February 1, 2014
Tags: A million hearts, chapter, one, the unfamiliar, Love, Family, Friendship, Drama, Romance


Author

Marcy Chavez
Marcy Chavez

Andheri, TX, India



About
Obviously my passion is writing. And writing is a gift I have to thank my wonderful father for, because he is a great writer .To me writing is the best way to get out my deepest feelings and to expres.. more..

Writing
Part One Part One

A Chapter by Marcy Chavez


Part Two Part Two

A Chapter by Marcy Chavez


Part Three Part Three

A Chapter by Marcy Chavez