Chapter one

Chapter one

A Chapter by Miquela Eberly


When i turned 8 my family was wrenched from my side, i was plunged into a world of hate and greed, a world where conquering was my only option. they told me what happened a few years after the accident. My family and I had been driving home from a long trip, my father was tired from the hours at the wheel. He made he turn faster than he should have not seeing the patch of black ice. When we stopped spinning, I was blinded by a bright light. I heard my mother cry out a piercing scream and felt my twin brother, Caden grasp my hand. The truck hit us head on and I crashed in the seat. Caden’s grip on my hand loosened and my entire world went black. From that day on nothing gave me joy, i had lost everything and i would never be the same.

When i woke up I was in a strange room, my mind a blur and when i tried to remember, it was still too hazy. A deep male voice made me sit up, “you’re awake”. His thick black fell to the tops of eyebrows, curly slightly. His dark eyes were framed by a pair of silver glasses.”who are you? where am I?” My voice quivered as i spoke.

“I’m Sean, and you’re in my apartment” He replied, I could sense something weighed heavily on his mind.

“where is my family?”

sean sighed and stopped looking at me and in that moment i knew, i knew they were gone.

“Caden, too?” I whispered. he placed a hand on my knee.

“they tried everything they could but it just wasn't enough.” Despite his harsh looks, his voice offered comfort and warmth. I felt the warmth of my tears burn down my cheeks.

“Listen, Avalon” It took awhile before i realized he shouldn't have known my name but by that time i was too far gone. “I can make a deal with you”

I was confused. “what kind of deal?” I asked

“I work with a sort of company, and my job is to… get rid of the people who cause a threat to the company” I may have been a child but i wasn't an idiot i knew what he was talking about. Sean sighed and shook his head as if he didn't want to say any more. “the company has.. suggested that i let you live with me, and have you take my place.” I was a confused and shocked little girl, I didn't know much but i knew that my grandmother -who was my only living relative- was a cold and twisted women, So in order to survive, i took the first option placed in front of me.

Sean became very close to me, even though no one could fill the empty void left by the lost of my beloved Caden. My love for him was deep, the memory of him was the only thing that kept me going. When they told me i would have to live as a boy, i took his name, hoping it would bring a piece of him back. Sean taught me everything he knew, by the time i was ten sean had finished teaching me, saying i was some sort of prodigy, but i really just had nothing else to do. They gave me my first mission and told me if i ever failed i would be kicked out and left to fend for myself. The whole experience left me cold and unreachable. I promised myself the night Sean took me in, I would never again show weakness. When I turned 12 i was incredibly skilled and was considered a lethal weapon by the company. Two days after my 14th birthday i was given a mission , one that would change my life forever.


John Cruz, the reason for my failure. they had given me a file with everything they knew about him. He came from a wealthy family, an only child. The only successor to the Cruz family business. If the Cruz family gained any more power it would cause trouble for the company. They were afraid if John inherited the business, he would do just that, so I was to kill him.John’s parents were throwing him a lavish party for his 24th birthday, I was to infiltrate the party and kill him then.

Dressed in a black suit, I stood on the sidelines of the party, watching John walk through the thick crowd. he greeted people as he passed. Looking down at my watch, I saw it was already nine o’clock. I had an hour to do what i needed and report back to Sean. I began to quickly made my way to John. Grabbing his arm, i pushed him the nearest room. “ Just who do you think you are!” He screamed at me. “Please calm down Mr. Cruz, you’ll cause a scene.” i replied calmly. His angry soothed and he smirked at me. “So they sent the little girl to kill me?” he jeered. Fear shot through me. “I don”t know what you’re talking about.” He moved towards me placing a hand on my cheek. “ they call you Caden, but that’s not your real name is it?” I brushed his hand away. “ Avalon, what a pretty name it is” My stomach began to churn in disgust, This man was too cocky. Out of no where is fist connected with my jaw, i had never seen anyone with his speed. Fists flew for several minutes, and i soon became worn out. Taking advantage of this he hit hard in the temple, knocking me out.

I woke up tired and dazed in a dark alley. Remembering what had happened I let out a heavy sigh. I got up off the ground and started walking, thoughts racing. I couldn't face Sean, despite that fact that i was allowed to return for my stuff, i didn’t, i just kept walking.

Raised voices pulled me out of my dazed state. I saw three large men surrounding a blonde boy around my age. I began to sneak closer.

Just give it to us, we know you have it” one of the men said. The boy kept his head down and in that moment he looked up with such courage and strength , i decided to help. I ran up, Slamming my fist in the largest one back. he bent over in pain before turning around. when he saw me, he laughed, then swung. I grabbed his hand and quickly broke his arm. he clutched it and dropped to his knees with a scream. I grabbed the sides of his face and brought my knee to his chin in one swift motion. He dropped with a heavy thud. I looked up to see to that the other two had fled but the boy was still there. He stared at me with wide eyes and i looked down remembering my suit was terribly tattered. Blushing slightly i began to walk away. “hey wait a minute” He shouted as caught up with me. “ what?” I replied harshly. “That was amazing! who are you?” he asked. I took a deep breath. “you really don't need to know.” I was beginning to get agitated. “ I’m Cyrus, so now you know my name, don’t you think i should know yours?” he asked. “Caden” I replied roughly. Stopping abruptly, he reached out his hand.


© 2014 Miquela Eberly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on August 4, 2014
Last Updated on August 4, 2014