Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Miquela Eberly

Just as Cyrus had planned I started school on monday. I’d started the day with the phone cyrus had given me going off.  I picked it up to hear Cyrus singing good morning.

“Really, Cyrus?”

“Yes really, so hurry up and get ready, breakfast is at six and the bus comes at seven” he replied and then hung up the phone. I chuckled and climbed out of bed. Walking to the closet, something caught my eye. Sitting on the desk was a red gift-wrapped box sitting beside my laptop. Slowly I opened it, pulling the ribbon back and ripping the paper. Inside was an assortment of throwing knives, Straps to put them in, a ID card saying i could carry them, and a piece of paper.  Looking at the clock i saw it was already 5:30. I quickly put on the straps, adjusting them so they fit. There was one that went around my stomach and two that went on my calves. I slipped each knife in it’s place. When i finished getting dressed, I grabbed the piece of paper, reading it as left the room.

No, Im not taking these back either

Cyrus

Smiling to myself, I shoved the note into my pocket and made my way to the dining hall.

The bus came at exactly seven . The driver greeted me me with a friendly smile but i could tell she was getting agitated by the noise of all the kids. I followed Cyrus, passing each seat one  by one until we reach the back of the bus. As he slid into the last seat on the left he motioned for me to sit next to him. “Here, your schedule, my dad got you in all the same classes as me.” He said passing me a piece of paper. I was trying to memorize my schedule when the bus shrieked to a halt in front of the school.

As I sat down at my desk a bright and cheery voice said “ Hiya! I’m Vanessa, what’s your name?” I answered her but I didn't know what to think of her. Vanessa was about  4’11”, two inches shorter then me. Her straight blonde hair was dyed pink at the tips and pulled into a side ponytail. Her face had a cherubic look to it, making her seem a lot younger. She talked on and on through the class, every few minutes I would pull my attention away from vanessa to look at cyrus. Who was usually already looking at me, with a strange look on his. Whenever our gaze would meet he would quickly look away.

School was a different experience for me, I’d had tutors back at the company, but our lesson were rushed and there wasn't any other students. It was hard to socialize with the other kids, the whole day i only spoke to Cyrus and Vanessa.

The Last bell rang rather quickly and i was relieved by it’s sound. I picked up my stuff and walked over to Cyrus. I watched as he put the last of his books in his bag, then slung it . over his shoulder, “Hey, do you want to walk home? It’s only about a half an hour’s walk”

“sure, that sounds good” I replied.

We found ourselves surrounded by six large men about ten minutes away from the house. Each man was armed with some sort of weapon. “So, Caden, what’s the plan?”

“Fight, It’s always fight”

“I’ve got your back if you got mine” I laughed considering I was paid to protect him. “Just stay  behind me, okay?” Grabbing one of the knives, I manouvered so Cyrus was behind me. I threw the first knife and hit one of the men squarely in the cheek. Then all of hell broke loose. Fist flew, weapons clashed and blood was spilled. I quickly fell into a pattern, punch, kick, dodge, throw, repeating it over and over again. I turned to face the rest and was shocked to find Cyrus standing, covered in blood, bodies around his feet. As i got closer I saw none of the blood was his, he was completely unharmed. It was almost as if they hadn't touched him. In that moment i understood why his parents hadn't asked me anything, It was because i wasn't needed.

“Cyrus, you don't really need a bodyguard, do you?” I asked as i sat on the floor of his bedroom watching him do his homework. “No, not really” he replied, Not even looking up from his paper. “Then why did you hire me?” This time he looked up at me and said in a serious tone. “I can’t fight all my battles alone, I need someone who has my back.”

“So, in reality, I'm not a bodyguard but rather a sidekick?” I said in a dry tone. Cyrus lifted an eyebrow. “You’re kidding, right? your skill is the same if not better than mine” He said with admiration. This confused me, in the past people only look at me with jealousy or fear, with the exception of Sean.






© 2014 Miquela Eberly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on August 5, 2014
Last Updated on August 5, 2014





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5