RIP Ray Charles.

RIP Ray Charles.

A Chapter by MrJodie
"

September 23, 1930 � June 10, 2004

"
 

Thursday, July 17th, 2004
 
I never met the man but I grieve his passing.  I remember summer nights when I was younger being brought half to tears listening to this soul filled blind man, born in a segregated Albany, Georgia, sing, ironically, the national anthem.  As a young man, Ray represented the tenacity it takes to overcome the steepest of mountains and still maintain the integrity of dreams and the ability to touch people with unbridled sincerity.  What kind of man does it take to bare your soul to millions of people in the painful birthing process of creating a song?  Especially when you know that your music will be criticized, scrutinized and rejected out of hand simply because people don't know how to believe that a successful black man can still have a pure talent.
 
Ray, you set standards that will remain unchallenged for generations.  Did you intend to change music?  Did you intend to turn the entire musical world on it's ear with your music or did you just write a song because you enjoyed the music?
 
God speed, Ray.  You've earned your place in the celestial choir.  In fact, I'm hoping that you're enjoying your new found place composing songs that bring God to tears the way yours did for me.



© 2008 MrJodie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
Added on February 23, 2008

The World According to the Right Rev Rap Masta Cornflake


Author

MrJodie
MrJodie

Troutdale, OR



About
I live in Troutdale, Oregon, a suburb of Portland. I'm currently working as a computer systems administrator for a manufacturing company in Vancouver and write only as a hobby. However, I've dreamed.. more..

Writing
Mercenary Mercenary

A Poem by MrJodie