Libra

Libra

A Poem by Moonie
"

~sherbet pastel tones~

"
We argue over nonsense and sugared drinks, 
on age lines, grey hair and bathroom sinks, 
on the albums covered in sherbet pastel tones, 
and on pancake flavors and minty colognes. 
And as the wick of day grows perishingly thin, 
the cherry-cola sunshine spilling over my skin, 
your sexy side blooms in cornucopias of cuddle 
'tween licks from a strawberry milkshake puddle.
Under the love-soaked air of tulips at sunset, 
I'm struck aware of how long it was since we met. 
Age makes you look like the wizened Wizard of Oz, 
all cotton-candy haired, and wrinkled jaws,
but there was a version with dimples and rosy cheeks, 
hazel-eyed and full of acute poetic critiques.
The boy whose memories are not all gone,
he floods back at dusk and recedes at dawn.

© 2021 Moonie


Author's Note

Moonie
I don't believe in astrology (since it is a pseudoscience), but I find that the characteristics associated with the signs are interesting and poetic. I started writing this compilation of poems for the twelve signs last year, the poems are supposed to capture the aesthetic of the sign without being too cliché.
Librans are ruled by Venus. They enjoy balance, harmony and order. They are also considered to be argumentative and indecisive (some of the negative traits).

If there are any suggestions for the poem, do comment them. I would be grateful!
I'm not that good at rhyming poems so do let me know if any line seems too forced.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this! I don’t believe in astrology either, but I also find the characteristics rather interesting. The writing, on the other hand, is truly beautiful and I find it strange I haven’t stumbled upon your work before, because it’s genuinely so beautiful. I loved reading this and the last two lines were truly wonderful. I liked how you wrote about both the bad and the good. People are usually very bias about signs. I can’t wait to read more. I’m an Aries, so I’m rather excited to read your poetry on that one as I get a bad rap for being an angry, stubborn tornado, lol. Thank you so much for sharing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Moonie,

Nice to stumble across your path here on the Cafe ... I am a Libra, if one is into signs, but I never have been, and this piece attracted my attention ... FYI, I have never been a critic of anyone's work. I operate like this and this alone, and I do hope that such as I shall share is acceptable to you: If I read a piece of writng and I like, I say so in supportive comment ... If it should be that I do not like it, for whatever reason that just doesn't trip my Old Fart from Smalltown, West Texas trigger, I simply move on and say nothing ... I write that which I attempt to pass off as Poetry, but do not consider myself a Poet, per se ... I am a Moderate in an extremist world ... I seek avenues of discussion based upon logic and sound reasoning, and I love a good debate ... I have been known to write some really dark and morbid stories, some of which are posted here ... But, in my later years I am more focused on Research articles on various unpopular, sometime controversial, topics ... All that said in baring my heart, I truly enjoyed reading your heart and mind set to pen of page in a wonderfully beautiful fashion ... I shall get around to reading more in due time ...

Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn de Graham

Posted 7 Months Ago


i love it. i especially like how you turn seemingly mundane observations into telling significance. your choice of wording and imagery is so good that i hardly notice the subtle rhyming into i went back and read it again. wow, bravo ... :)

Posted 12 Months Ago


dearest Moonie…. I have discovered the Heavens in every Sign… and every person I meet and know… gently, Pat

Posted 1 Year Ago


I love this! I don’t believe in astrology either, but I also find the characteristics rather interesting. The writing, on the other hand, is truly beautiful and I find it strange I haven’t stumbled upon your work before, because it’s genuinely so beautiful. I loved reading this and the last two lines were truly wonderful. I liked how you wrote about both the bad and the good. People are usually very bias about signs. I can’t wait to read more. I’m an Aries, so I’m rather excited to read your poetry on that one as I get a bad rap for being an angry, stubborn tornado, lol. Thank you so much for sharing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I just loved reading your story like poem... first I have ever read of yours...
Yes, watching the one we love get older is oh so interesting and of course at the same time we too are getting older..
Loved the lines Age makes you look like the wizened Wizard of Oz,
all cotton-candy haired, and wrinkled jaws,
but there was a version with dimples and rosy cheeks,
hazel-eyed and full of acute poetic critiques.
I will be looking at more of yours soon.
What on earth do you mean you are not good at rhyming... I thought your rhymes were spot on... You might like one of my newer poems Nymph..or one I posted when I first started posting about 5 months ago... Hand~In~Hand..would love to hear what you think...
Lisa, now in Spain

Posted 1 Year Ago


This is quite poetic, with a wistful tone to it. The rhymes are interesting and seem natural, so I don't have a problem with them. I don't believe in astrology either: how can one catch-all reading be true for millions of people? Well, it can't! An interesting and entertaining poem though! I enjoyed the read!

Posted 1 Year Ago


"The boy whose memories are not all gone,
he floods back at dusk and recedes at dawn." --- What a great ending for an enjoyable poem. Thanks!

Posted 2 Years Ago


I love your style. There's something in your poems that is the very definition of "poetic." I don't know how else to put it. It's some sort of undefined world, where everything is this or that or both, all at the same time.
Thanks for sharing!

Posted 2 Years Ago


This didn't sound forced at all to me. The rhyme scheme was coherent and cohesive in its logical progression. I like the idea of a poem for each zodiac sign as well. Astrology has become a catch-all phrase for the reading of the zodiac but it wasn't always so. The ancient Persians used the stars to navigate their life decisions as much as their boats around 500 BCE. The Christmas star that brought Magi to visit the Christ child was more than superstition to them. It was part of their religion. And their part in the Christmas story remains part of the Christian religion, even today. I enjoyed the read. Merry Christmas.

Posted 2 Years Ago


I agree my dear friend.
"Age makes you look like the wizened Wizard of Oz,
all cotton-candy haired, and wrinkled jaws,
but there was a version with dimples and rosy cheeks,
hazel-eyed and full of acute poetic critiques."
I loved the above lines. Thank you Moonie for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 27, 2021
Last Updated on December 16, 2021
Tags: Libra, zodiac, signs

Author

Moonie
Moonie

About
If you're a dreamer, come in If you're a dreamer, a wisher, a liar A hope er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer, If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire For we have some flax-golden tales to spin .. more..

Writing
Dark things Dark things

A Poem by Moonie


August August

A Poem by Moonie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


RED RED WINE RED RED WINE

A Poem by Vol


RAPT RAPT

A Poem by Vol