Chapter 12

Chapter 12

A Chapter by Nash-asha

Six weeks after the conference, Jeremie came up to Brittany and asked her about adoption.
      “Do you honestly think they’re going to let me? After all, I have a record on hurting children.”
      “I know, but we could try. We can call around, go and meet some of the kids. See what they’re like.”
      “I don’t know, Jeremie.”
      Brittany and Jeremie decided that they wouldn’t do anything right now, but that they wouldn’t rule it out. While Jeremie was at work the next day, one of his colleagues told him about a boy whose mother just died from cancer and his father had died three years before. Jeremie went home and told Brittany the story.
      Brittany was touched by the story that she went to the orphanage to meet this little boy. She went up to Jenny’s Home for Special Orphans. His name is Evan Lee. When Evan came out with Krystalee, his social worker, he got scared. He recognized Brittany as the lady off the TV who talked about her dead children a lot. Brittany was sad that that was how he knew her but was ecstatic when he finally walked over. After about an hour of time with Evan, Brittany and Jeremie met with Ms. Jenny.
      “Mr. and Mrs. Andrews, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’ve heard a lot about the two of you.”
      “I’m sure you have, but some of which I’ve over come. I wish with everything I have that I could go back and just take back all of it.”
      “Well, unfortunately, things like that you can’t erase. I know you’ve changed, but we do have to take this into consideration when we do your evaluation.”
      “Yes, Ma’me. I know this is a priority, but with all due respect I’ve really changed. I don’t know any other way to explain it to you, but my psychologist, Ms. Thompson can vouch for that.”
      “Well, I’ll be sure to contact her and find out for myself.”
      Brittany and Jeremie left the orphanage discouraged. They thought they would never get to be parents. They thought Ms. Jenny’s was their chance and now they felt as if their little flame of hope was gone. Jeremie suggested they pray and ask God to be with the situation. Brittany went along, but she had a small doubt starting to brew in her heart. Ms. Thompson called Brittany the next day. She had some very interesting information.
      “Hey, Brittany. I have something to tell you,” she said with speculation in her voice.
      “Okay. Is it about Ms. Jenny’s?”
      “Actually no. Mr. Roberts contacted me to let me know that your book has hit the top of the Best Sellers List and now he wants you to do a book signing.”
      Brittany sighed. “Well, Ms. Thompson, I just don’t know. I’ve got too much on my mind right now. I can’t add something else to my plate.”
      “Well actually, Ms. Jenny did call me,” she said with a chuckle. “She wanted me to tell her about your progress while I was in charge of you.”
      “And what did you say?” Brittany asked enthusiastically.
      “Well, I told her for someone who has been through so much  came through it with the highest expectations I could ever have expected.”
      “Well, what did she say?”
      “She didn’t know what to say. She just kinda said ‘Uh huh’ and ‘I see’. I wasn’t sure if I was convincing enough though.” She said condescendingly.
      “It’s okay. I’m grateful for whatever you did. I just wish that I could get to be a mom again. I wish that my one mistake wouldn’t affect my one opportunity to make a difference in this boy’s life. He’s gone through so much of the same things I went through. I want to help him.” Brittany had tears welling in her eyes. She thought this was her chance to change the world for real. Yes, the talks to the teens about sex were important but this, this was her chance-her one shining moment to save someone.
      “Very true,” Ms. Thompson said with a thought brewing in her mind. “I’m so proud of how far you’ve come, Brittany. I never dreamed you would be that smart and that capable to put this behind you.”
      Shocked Brittany replied, “I can’t believe you didn’t have more faith in me.”
      “It’s not that. Don’t get me wrong, I just figured that someone who’s been through as much as you have wouldn’t be able to be so positively minded.”
      “Well, Jesus was the one who made that possible. He made me come to terms with it. I never wanted this to happen, but of course everything always happens for a reason.”
      After a few more minutes Brittany hung up the phone and walked outside. She looked up at the sky. It was a cloudy day. The sun was peeking out from behind a cloud as it was setting. She couldn’t believe how much God was in everything. She walked over to her gazebo and sat down. She continued to stare at the sky. Thinking to herself she said, “Why is God doing this to me? I know he has his reasons, but its just so confusing. I don’t understand why He is allowing this to happen.” Brittany layed down and closed her eyes. She fell asleep and began to dream. In this dream, someone spoke to her; but she didn’t know who until the voice mentioned Evan.



© 2008 Nash-asha


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on July 18, 2008


Author

Nash-asha
Nash-asha

Ocala, FL



About
I'm 17 graduating in '09. I started writing a couple of years ago. When I first started, I was writing screen plays for an acting class. I started writing poetry in that class and LOVED it...I kinda e.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Nash-asha


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Nash-asha