Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by L. Catherine

     It had been a long, dreary day at Mike's Auto Shop. The constant downpour had kept customers away all afternoon, leaving nothing to be done, but that only gave Hugh Van Garrett incentive to continue experimenting on his own vehicle. All of the other mechanics had decided to take their break at this time, leaving Hugh to run the repair shop by himself, and since no one was around, this was an ideal opportunity.

 

     Opening the hood of his 1986 Ford pick-up truck, Hugh gazed down into the oiled and greased engine that was the heart of his beloved vehicle. Hugh had a dream that one day he would be able to create a car that would never die; it would continue to serve the family it was purchased by for as long as it was needed. Without having to purchase a new battery or an entirely new car, hundreds of families could put their money to better uses.

 

     Lost in his dreams, Hugh suddenly began to cough violently, each cough making the man sound as if he was gasping for his last breath. The coughing fit continued for a few minutes, but eventually settled down. Hugh had grown ill ever since his wife Celia had died eighteen years ago, leaving him alone with their three year old daughter Belle. When she was young, Belle used to ask her father,

 

"Papa, why are you always sick?" and Hugh would reply,

 

"Well, when your mother died, it left a hole in my heart that has never healed. Ever since then, that hole has kept me sick because your mother had a place in my heart that can never be filled."

 

     After a conversation like this, Hugh's eyes would fill with somber tears, only to be wiped away by little Belle's tiny hands. The two would smile at each other and for a little while, the sadness Hugh felt would disappear. Since that time, Hugh had remarried and gained two more daughters.

 

     Madalena Fletcher and her twin daughters, Amilee and Marissa, had moved to the small town of Mistveil Cove thirteen years ago. Rumor had it that Madalena had come from a wealthy family, but had spent all of her money on herself and her daughters, thus she was forced to move to a smaller area. Many thought it was odd that Madalena had immediately began a connection with Hugh Van Garrett, but after they were wed, the townspeople paid the relationship no attention.

 

     Now, after thirteen years, Hugh was in a happy relationship with Madalena and was able to help provide for this three daughters. With these positive thoughts in mind, Hugh continued working on his truck. Just as he began to check the vehicle's fan belt, the main entrance to the auto shop opened, letting in a cool breeze and a young woman. She had long, curled, brown/blonde hair with startling blue eyes and fair skin, wearing a smile on her face as she said, "Hey there, Dad!"

 

     Hugh's daughter Belle, now twenty-one years old, had been the light of Hugh's life since the day she was born.

 

"How was work at the library today?" Hugh inquired.

 

"Oh it was fine," Belle replied, "I just wish the pay was a little better. You know, to help pay for your medicine and the bills..."

 

"Belle, I know that you don't want to have to work all your life, but your mother and I-"

 

"Stepmother." Belle interjected in a distasteful tone.

 

"Your stepmother and I really need the money. We may not say it as often as you like, but we really appriciate what you do for us." Hugh said before launching into another coughing fit, this time falling onto the hard, cold ground.

 

"Papa!" Belle exclaimed, using the name she used to call her father when she was young.

 

     Belle immediately ran to Hugh's side, clinging to him as though he would crumple away into miniscule pieces. The coughing slowly diminished, but Belle continued to hold onto her father, tears streaming down her cheeks.

 

"I don't want to have to lose you, Papa."

 

"I know Belle, I know. But don't worry about me. This old man isn't going anywhere for a long time."

 

     A smile came to Belle's face at this remark and the two embraced just as the shop's door opened again.

 

"Hugh! What are you doing on the floor?"

 

     A tall woman entered the auto shop, holding herself with a regal disposition. She had short, strawberry blonde hair with tanned skin. Her entire persona was reminiscent of one of "The Real Housewives" stars, but also radiating power. She appeared to be in her early 40's, although she was almost 50. Her strangest feature though, were her charcoal grey eyes that seemed to be all knowing and infinite.

 

"Madalena, what are you doing here? My shift isn't over until five," Hugh said.

 

"Can't a woman come by her husband's workplace and say hello?" Madalena asked with a smile.

 

     Behind her entered two young girls who appeared to be slightly older than Belle. Both had dark strawberry blonde hair and powder green eyes. Although one had their hair curled and the other had her's straightened, it was obvious that they were twins.

 

"Daddy!" the two girls shrieked in an almost whining unison.

 

"Amilee! Marissa! Don't scream, for God's sake! It could very well damage your father's hearing," Madalena said in a demanding tone, "Why don't you two go outside in the car with Belle for a little while your father and I chat, hm?"

 

"Mother," Amilee said in a loud whisper, "We don't have to do we? She's so boring. All she does is talk about some school she wants to go to. Too bad she can't afford it." Amilee said snarkily.

 

"Yeah!" Marissa added, "Either that or she's talking about some lame-a*s book she read."

 

     After hearing this, Belle snapped towards the two girls she called her sisters,

who smirked at her in a condescending way. She was so angry, but she knew

better than to say anything. It wouldn't help; nothing she ever did or said helped defend her situation when it came to her stepfamily. Not wanting to break down in front of her father, Belle decided to leave while she still could. Kissing her father goodbye, she left for the only place she felt she could be at peace, the library.

 

     As soon as she stepped out from the auto shop's dry protection against the rain, Belle found herself immediately drenched, but she didn't care. Being wet and alone was far better compared to being dry and in the company of Madalena and the bimbo-twins. Ever since they had come into her family, Belle couldn't shake the feeling that something just seemed off about them.

 

     While deep in thought walking to the library, a bolt of lightning and a clash of thunder struck overhead, causing Belle to lose her train of thought.

 

"God," Belle said quietly to herself, "I wish that there was something more for me than this insular life."

 

     Little did she know that her wish would soon be granted...

 

 



© 2012 L. Catherine


Author's Note

L. Catherine
Thanks for reading my first chapter! Please leave any suggestions and/or comments in a review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm excited to read more chapters of this, and I'm also excited to see another writer who likes the same kind of concepts as me! I also write differed versions of fairy tales, and it seems like you have a good start on this one!
I'm assuming Belle is the main character of this story... Correct me if I'm wrong. If she is, try including more from her point of view, especially near the end of this chapter. Like, instead of having her stepsisters verbally reveal that she wants to go to school, let her say it in some way in narration, and then that snarky remark of her stepsister.
Just a suggestion!
Great minds think alike,
-JW

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm excited to read more chapters of this, and I'm also excited to see another writer who likes the same kind of concepts as me! I also write differed versions of fairy tales, and it seems like you have a good start on this one!
I'm assuming Belle is the main character of this story... Correct me if I'm wrong. If she is, try including more from her point of view, especially near the end of this chapter. Like, instead of having her stepsisters verbally reveal that she wants to go to school, let her say it in some way in narration, and then that snarky remark of her stepsister.
Just a suggestion!
Great minds think alike,
-JW

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love this story, and it's concept.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L. Catherine

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
I love the concept of the story, and also how you have a good dialog for the characters. The cliffhanger has left me craving for more, so I'm going to read chapter 2. Good Job :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L. Catherine

11 Years Ago

Thank you!!!!!! :D
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K.G
this is very interesting :3 I love that this has a Cinderella modern day twist to it!And an actual modern day twist! And you have a nice pace! some people tend to make it to long or too short. . .keep it up! :3 i shall continue reading!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.G

11 Years Ago

okay :3 take ur time
L. Catherine

11 Years Ago

I will :P It's gonna be all trippy and awesome (I have no idea how else to describe it)!
K.G

11 Years Ago

lol its cool XD sounds cool XD and i understad :3
Very nice! It was enchanting!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L. Catherine

11 Years Ago

Thanks Alexa!!! :)
Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

you're welcome!
L. Catherine

11 Years Ago

Chapter 2 is up! Please read! TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO READ IT.
:D
A nice first chapter though i don't think a 21 year odld would call her father "papa" if this is in modern times. Can't wait to read more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
L. Catherine

11 Years Ago

Thank you! She just calls her father "Papa" because it's supposed to be reminiscent of Belle and Mau.. read more
Daydreamer54

11 Years Ago

Oh ok, that's understandable.
Awesome Love! Really great!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L. Catherine

11 Years Ago

Thank you Gracie!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

303 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 20, 2012
Last Updated on November 21, 2012


Author

L. Catherine
L. Catherine

Storybrooke, ME



About
My name is L. Catherine and I, like many of you out there, am a writer. My whole life I've grown up with a vivid imagination and seeing things differently than other people, always wishing and believi.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by L. Catherine


Two Two

A Chapter by L. Catherine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..