Hospital Hours

Hospital Hours

A Chapter by Oliver Lee

"He's in here,"
Doctor Alders led me to a room in the ICU wing.
I said my thanks and stayed outside. I didn't know if I was ready to see him. I very soon realized he is all I wanted to see. 
I opened the door and stepped inside. The television was off and the blinds on the window across the room were open. I turned my head towards Ganton and my jaw, my heart, my stomach, sank. I sauntered over to his bedside. An IV in his hand, bandages on his arms, a monitor to his right, beep, beep, beeping. His eyes were closed, he was asleep. The doctor had told me he was in a coma. And I almost half forgot, because he looks like he is soundly sleeping, and I remember his gorgeous sleeping face. He looked peaceful, lovely, broken. I started to picture his smile. I started to picture his panic. I started to detach and before I knew it, I was crying. I know there's essentially nothing wrong with crying, it just made me feel worse. I felt like there was something more I could do, but instead I'm just standing here, over my comatose boyfriend, crying. 
"I'm sorry, Gee. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I wasn't there. I'm sorry this happened."
I know there was a slim chance he heard me. I needed to say I was sorry. 
My breakdown was interrupted by my cell phone ringing. It was my sister. She brought me pajamas and a blanket. I left the room and headed downstairs to meet Marisol. 

As I headed down to the hospital lobby, I noticed the mystery girl, staring at a book, in the same spot she was before. I saw her look up at me, and realize I was staring. She wouldn't take her eyes off of me.  
I stepped outside to get my clothes and blanket from Marisol. She told me to keep her updated. Before she left, she turned to me, and said something that echoed in my mind like it was on a loop. 
"I know you love him. Your secret is safe with me, hermano."
"Um..yeah. Thank you. Te amo y decirle la abuela, también."
I turned to the door and hurried inside. I no sooner walked in, then the girl from the waiting room finally spoke up. 
"Hey" 
I looked over towards her corner. 
"That your sister?"
"Y-yeah. She needed to drop me off clothes for the night."
Why would I tell her that?
"You staying here all night?" she asked.
"Yeah, I'm here with..a friend."
"You up for a coffee? It's going to be a long night."
"Yeah, sure."
She closed her book and strided over to where I was standing. 
She held out her hand. 
"Bianca."
"Donnie."
"Let's go grab that coffee."
"Um..actually, I should go check on my friend before. I'll meet you back here in like, 7 minutes. Is that alright?"
"7 minutes, eh?" 
She chuckled at me .
"Go on, Donnie."
I turned and walked away, towards the ICU. 


© 2018 Oliver Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on March 18, 2018
Last Updated on March 30, 2018
Tags: #book, #sad, #hospital, #love, #gay, #lgbt


Author

Oliver Lee
Oliver Lee

Batavia , NY



About
Oliver 16 LGBTQ+ advocate Reptile dad Theatre rat I make music "f**k" more..

Writing