Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by RunsWithCats
"

I haven't put anything out in a while so I thought I'd put this out...Not my best...

"

Chapter 5

            It’s him!

            Yes, but you need to run Nada! Please!

            Where are you? How are-

                I will tell you soon. Nada! PLEASE! Run!

            The boy was frantic now. Inside my head he was pleading for my life. I could feel his mind intertwined with mine as the man lifted the gun. The boy was screaming! He was screaming for me to run, but it was too late. I was frozen to the ground.

            The man’s finger flexed, and I heard the shot as soon as the pain hit. A pain so extreme that it caused my mind to waver. My leg felt like it was on fire! I suddenly felt the ground smack into me, and my breath rushed out. Everything went black. The last thing I heard was the boy. He was furious! At me? No, he was outraged at the man for harming me. Why did he care so much? Who was he, and more importantly at the moment, who was this man? My thoughts dimmed and everything was silent.

 

 

            I awoke in a maroon room. There was a stone fireplace much like the one in the library in front of me. On either side of me there were rich, black arm chairs. They were simple yet elegant. There was a fire in the fireplace, and it was the only light source in the room. The parts of the room untouched by the soft glow of the fire were hidden in dark shadows. Aside from the furniture there was nothing in the room.    

            I tried to sit up, but my right arm was strapped to the leg of the black sofa I was lying on. I looked down at my clothes. When I was brought here, I had been wearing my favorite skinny jeans paired with a low, blue and black, V-necked t-shirt and sneakers. Now my clothes were muddy, and my hair thrown around my head in tangled clumps. Not only were my jeans torn, my left leg had a massive blood spot on it from the gun shot. Only then did I remember the pain. A fresh wave of it shot up my leg. I groaned.

            “You know, the more you think about the more it hurts?”

            I turned my head to see the man who shot me leaning casually against the fireplace. How could he be so… casual…when I was in pain? Plus he shot me!

            He was studying my face with guarded eyes. He almost looked like he could help… I pushed the thought from my mind. He’d shot me!

            “I suppose you would like to know why I shot you.”

            I blinked and noticed that he was now sitting on the sofa. He was careful not to touch my leg, but it seemed he didn’t notice it either. He had an amused grin stretched across his face. His eyes looked like a toddler’s eyes when he got caught doing something naughty.

            “You have to understand. I couldn’t let you get away.” His grin got bigger, and I felt like slapping him. All of sudden my hand was flying towards his face. His eyes twinkled again, and he caught my hand in midair.

            “We wouldn’t want to do that would we?” He brought his face down to mine. His face was serious, and his eyes were tight.

            “Don’t do anything you’ll regret.” His head snapped up and, then he was gone.

            He was back again before I could figure out what had happened. This time he stood like a statue beside the fireplace. His eyes were still tight. He looked at me, took two steps forward, then he stopped. His face twisted in pain, and he lunged back. He looked up towards the door.

            “Trey! Leave!”

            The voice came from the behind the sofa. The man in front of me, Trey?, was gone. The voice from the door belonged to a man who now walked from the door to the front of the sofa. He wore black slacks and a grey button up shirt. His face was not as soft as Trey’s, but his dark dirty blond hair was also disheveled though not as long. While Trey’s voice was soft and mischievous, this man’s was harder with more prestige. He stood with an air of high importance. Higher than Trey.

            “I am Gerard Yale. You are Nada Rose. You are here because of the government. That is all you need to know. Except that we will be transferring our location in a short time.”

            “What about the other kids? Why are they here?” I questioned trying to sound confident, not unsure.

            “The same reason. The government, and they will not be moving with us. Only a select few.”

            “What’s going to happen to them?” I couldn’t help it. My voice quivered.

            “They will be dealt with accordingly. As for you, Trey will be in charge of watching you closely from now on. I do have my doubts with him though. He can be… mischievous.”

            I wondered why he was confessing his doubts about Trey to me. Shouldn’t he keep that kind of a secret? What had Trey done that would be considered so ill fit?

            “What about the boy? Where is he?”

            Gerard looked up. He looked confused.

            “What are you talking about?”

            “I’m talking about the boy who was in the first room. The big room with all of us. He was about nineteen with black hair…”

            The commander had taken on the look of an outraged bull, but the look vanished just as quickly as it had appeared.

            “I think you should rest. It’s been awhile since you slept.” He folded his hands behind his back and turned to leave.

            “Wait. How long am I going to be tied to this sofa.”

            My look of annoyance must have amused him because a faint grin tempted his lips, and then he was gone.

            I looked after him annoyed and nervous. Now what? I turned back to the fire. I reached into my pocket for my knife, but it wasn’t there.

            “Looking for this?” It was Trey. He was sitting on the arm of the sofa. All traces of his distressed face earlier were now gone. His amused grin was back, and his eyes twinkled with that ‘caught’ look again. He held my knife between his middle and index finger.

            I glared at him, but he seemed even more amused by any show of anger towards him. I composed my face, and his grin sunk a little. Finally, I had found something that didn’t make him want to laugh.

            “Well, you can imagine why I would need to confiscate this from you. You might hurt yourself.” His grin got wider.

            He stood up and walked closer to me. He sat down on the sofa near my waist. Still being careful not to touch me. Lowering his face, he brought his eyes level with mine.

            “I couldn’t imagine anyone hurting you.” This time he let out a soft chuckle.

            That did it. I swung my hand to punch his face. At the same time I brought my knee up towards his back. In all of this, hoping to knock him unconscious or at least cause some pain.

            Within seconds Trey was sitting on me and pinning my free arm to the sofa. I never even came close to touching him in my fast attempt. For the third time he brought his face inches from mine.

            “Don’t think you’ll ever get a hit. I’m just too good for you,” he said softly. And at that he had to chuckle again. His eyes were sparkling now. This confused me more than he could imagine. Obviously he did notice, and he was confused. His eyes looked lost. Slowly he lowered his face until I thought he couldn’t get any closer.

            “You won’t get away this time,” he breathed. He was still confused. He tilted his head to the side and came even closer. I could smell his breath. It smelled like cinnamon and mint. His cologne smelled musky. His eyes examined my face for a reaction.

            I tried to position my free arm, so that I could aim a punch at him again. Of course he wouldn’t let me go. He lifted my arm above my head to keep it from moving, probably trying to get it to fall asleep. An overly amused grin permanently etched into his face. I frown crept onto my face. Obviously liking my reaction, he got close enough that his nose was pressed against mine. He glanced at my lips, and that made me mad.

            If I hadn’t thought he was trying to kiss me to make me furious I wouldn’t have done what I did. He had pulled his face away a little, but had angled for my lips. He was so distracted with my funny anger that he didn’t notice me tilt my head and ram it into his. I was so angry that I could have killed myself hitting him that hard. I wasn’t surprised when he fell unconscious. I was perturbed that he lay unconscious on top of me though. He was also crushing my injured leg. I had to fight for composure.

            With my free hand, I searched for his hand that held my knife. I found my knife and started to hack at the cloth tie that held my hand to the sofa leg. The cloth cut easily, and I soon was free. I stuck the knife in my pocket and tried to push him off of me. He wouldn’t budge. I tried a new tactic. I gathered my strength and slowly rolled him over the edge of the sofa. He landed on the floor with an exasperated thump.

            I sat up satisfied that he got what he had deserved. I quickly scanned the room, and finding no threat, hobbled for the door. Luckily it was unlocked, and I made it into the hall with no problem.

            The hall had only three doors: this one, one across the hall, and one at the end of the hall. At the other end was a staircase. I picked the door at the end and tiptoed toward it. I pressed my ear against the door and listened. I heard nothing, so I grabbed the knob and pulled the door open.

            On the other side was a long hall lined with wooden doors. The same wooden doors from the first time I was brought here. Yes! Wait which ones the library? I think it was the first one on the right…  I took two steps towards the first door, and peered in the window. The library.

            I quietly opened the door and stepped in. No one. I limped over to the fireplace and looked at the fire now burning there. Did he forget me? I thought he wanted to help… Maybe I’m too late… 

            “No…” a silky voice said. Velvet laced each word causing the voice to sound more like an angel singing than a normal person speaking. The boy stood silently, perfectly, beside the fireplace. He looked terribly upset, like something was eating away at his conscience.

            “Who are you?”

            “I’m Peter Tyler, and you are Nada Rose.”

            “How does everyone know that?”

            “Word travels…” His voice was laced with concern now.

            “First I want to know why...” I started, but I had trouble finishing.

            “I care so much about you?” he finished for me.

            “Yes…”

            “It’s complicated… From the first time I saw you I knew you were different…”

            “And when was that?” I demanded.

            “Six years ago.”

            I shook my head in disbelief. How could he know me when I was thirteen? I hadn’t known anyone like him.

            “I saw you at the mall,” he chuckled, “You were buying that shirt you’re wearing now.” He pointed towards my shirt.

            “Well… I want to know why you were stalking me then.”

            “I wasn’t stalking you,” he chuckled again, his voice encasing me with each word, “I was merely observing you. Anyways that’s a long story that you’ll have to hear later.”

            “Fine. Than what are you so upset about?”

            “I’m just…frustrated that Trey shot you. I mean he promised…  Are you okay? I should’ve looked at your leg earlier. Come here.”

            I looked down at my leg and noticed that it was bleeding again because of all my moving around. I looked at him cautiously and when he waved me forward, I walked toward him.

            He scooped one of his long arms under my legs and caught me in his other. He cradled me to his chest for a minute while I stared at his face. His face was so soft and comforting, but you could tell he was terribly upset. He leaned his head down towards mine, and his breath washed over me.

            “I’m sorry,” he breathed.

            I glanced at his lips and noticed that they were quivering. What is so wrong with him?  

            “Nothing…” he whispered. He walked toward a door I hadn’t noticed, and we slipped through.

            “Please tell me,” I pleaded. He looked down at me, and I took the opportunity. I looked into his eyes and stuck out my lower lip. He groaned a soft little sound.

            “It’s just…I didn’t help you when Trey was… I mean sure he’s had a lot of moments, but nothing like that… I would go back there and rip his head off if we didn’t need him so much right now…”

What was he saying? They need Trey. And why do they need him?

                “It’s still complicated.” He carried me into a small room that looked like a doctor’s office. He sat me on a large metal table and pressed both hands to the cool metal on either side of me.

            “ I’m still so sorry…” he whispered.

            “ Well, I took care of him.”

            “ Yeah. He did deserve that.” His face looked dead serious now.

            “ But he won’t stop. He always gets what he wants. If he hurts you again…” A severe anger over took his eyes then. He straightened and turned toward a small cabinet. He pulled out different objects and medicines and turned back towards me. 

            “Now let’s get you cleaned up.”



© 2010 RunsWithCats


Author's Note

RunsWithCats
I just thought I'd put something out since it's been awhile...Please feel free to constructively criticize me...I do need it...Do you think this chapter is a little awkward? I do think the relationships move a little fast...Feel free to give me advise...Thanks. -God Bless XD

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on February 16, 2010
Last Updated on February 16, 2010


Author

RunsWithCats
RunsWithCats

About
Love reading and writing! Don't write much on here anymore, but enjoy browsing the different books. xP more..

Writing