A New Home

A New Home

A Chapter by Beau Orion Brown
"

Read and Find out!

"

This chapter has been edited slightly due to so many errors found by the reader nothing has changed in the plot line!

(A/N) What's up guys sorry it took so long to get this update out been busy preparing for exams. This will be a bit of a longer chapter it will explain some of the mythology behind the story. Please if I get anything wrong mail me about it. Please Review and As always enjoy!

Chapter 3

My world was crumbling. Life changing news was the understatement of the day. I said, "That's ridiculous! You're suggesting that my father is a god? There is no such thing as God or Gods. You speak nonsense."

Derek considered what I said with deep though written all over his face. He then retorted, "If what you say is true, how do you believe this world or Universe started?"

I said, "Ever heard of the big bang theory?"

Derek laughed at this and said, "A trick Loki came up with, no doubt. Ignorant, stupid and naive mortals. This world began with two realms; Nifflheim which consisted of fog, ice, and frost. Then there was Muspelheim also known as the land of fire. Over time the world began to evolve. Surt ruled The land of fire. Ymir ruled the land of Frost. These were the world's first tyrants as well. The world began to evolve over time and the first god came about. Buri. This god himself was nothing special but, his grandson would grow to be the great god Odin. Odin had two brothers Ve and Vii. Both great in power but slim compared to Odin. Over time Ymir was slayed by the three grandchildren of Buri. With Ymir gone, using his remnants, they made the nine realms."

"Wait you mean to tell me they created nine dimensions -kind of- with the dudes body parts?" I asked, wierded out by the idea.

He laughed, "No, this is what the legends say. Truthfully, Odin was more of a warrior. His brothers were talented in magic. Together they created the nine realms today. To say they are a different dimension that would be wrong. That would be a completely different reality. It's not like that we are all in one reality rest assured."

I smiled, "Yes, okay I suppose that make since. So what are the nine realms?"

"There is Vanaheim where the Vanir gods lived; they practiced the best magic. Jotunheim: home of Ymir and the frost giants. Niflheim: one of the oldest realms, also where one of the three roots of Yggdrasil. This is also where dead rest."

"What is the tree of Yggdrasil?"

"It is the tree of life. There are three pieces to it. In the myths they used animals to describe the three roots; The Serpent, Eagle, and Squirrel."

I laughed, "A squirrel?"

Derek got that wicked grin on his face and said, "Yes, a squirrel, now show some respect. The other one lays In Jotunheim: land of the giants and trolls."

"So the tree lies in Jotunheim, Nifflehim… where does the last one lie?"

"Jotunheim: land of the giants, Nifflehim: Land of Hel, and Asgard: home of the gods."

So the final Root lies in Asgard, "What would happen if the tree was destroyed?"

Derek got a grim look on his face, "The entire world would fade into oblivion."

That did not sound like fun, "So, you said Land of hell. Hell is an actual place?

Derek thought on this, on a proper way to say it, "Not hell with two L's. Hel, such as Lady Hel. She runs pretty much the particular hell though. It is where mortals get that from. She is a daughter of Loki. Loki is the evil one. Only he could have produced that evil of a child."

"Why is Loki the evil one? If Thor is my dad then Loki is my uncle?"

Derek clenched his fist and tensed, "Loki is the god of trickery, evil and partially fire. We must not go into this now. We will discuss Loki at a later time."

I thought about arguing but I still wanted to know more answers, "Okay, so if I humored you and Thor really was my father… Thor is immortal. He can't die."

Derek sighed, "You're right he didn't die. He faded."

"I don't understand… how do you just fade?"

"Normal mortals or even half mortals like you and Bailey cannot fade. A god can fade in two ways: If his domain is destroyed or if the other god chooses it. Understand it takes years to fade. Once you make the decision though there is no going back.

I said, "Well seeing there was thunder clap earlier I know his "Domain" is still intact. So answer this... Why would the mighty Thor pretty much kill himself?"

"Guilty, Exhaustion, pressure, and his will to live were just fading. The lady Sif died fourteen years ago. Being the king of the gods is stressful and he was guilty for..."

"He was guilty for what?" I wondered.

Derek sighed hard, "Orion, I don't know how to tell you this... I need you to understand Thor loved you. But he was married to the Lady Sif.

I could feel the sting. I feel betrayed by a man I have never even met. Derek then said, "Tell me, what are you thinking?"

He was obviously not shy to press for answers, but I answered, "I understand on one hand. I'm glad that he felt bad for cheating on his wife. That tells me a little bit about him as a person."

Derek frowned, "Your father was a good man, and I promise you that. Maybe one day we will go into more about the other five realms.

I sighed heavily. Was this going to be my new life, "What should I do for now?"

"My friend, you have today to walk the grounds. It's protected by powerful magic. You're safe on this property."

"What happens if I cross the property?"

"Well the fences are the dividing lines. If you cross the fence, you would be in instant danger. The frost and fire giants may not know who you are yet. But being a CON and powerful one, you might be a flare."

I thought on this. What's a CON? I asked, "What's a CON and what is different from now and earlier?"

Derek laughed, "CON is child of Norse. The monster thing before know who you are. You don't use much of your Norse Power. Once you use it though, the monsters can lock in on your location. The more you use it, the more danger you are in. Once you know who you are, you are much stronger and sometimes use your powers on accident. You would be in constant danger leaving this place. Most kids get here and they are too frightened to leave. Really no reason to, we have a pool, basketball courts, nice field you can play most field sports on."

"What about Bailey? She seemed willing to leave?"

"Bailey is definitely an adventurous and good warrior, but can't seem to follow orders."

"What about the others?"

Derek said, "I can give you names but I will let them tell you their godly parent. The girls are Bailey, Erica, Ashley, Morgan, and Ali. The boys: Brandon, Adrian, Davis, Jordan and Karan. Most of these kids are very social. I and my wife teach them the necessities. Then you can do combat training if you wish.

"What do you mean if you wish? We came here to fight and learn to defend ourselves?"

"This may be true but we can't force people to fight. That is unjust."

"What does justice matter if there is no one left to have the right to justice?"

Derek sighed, "Listen to me Orion. You have your father's leadership ability. You remind me so much of him when was young. I will help you… But one day you will be the leader of these kids and they will be watching every move you make, starting now."

I thought on these words, "These kids look at me to be a leader. What if I fail them?"

He put his hand on my shoulder and looked me right in the eye. I noticed a few things about Derek. Derek wasn't as big as I thought he was. Six foot maybe. Not cut but not buff either but he looked like he could handle himself in a fight. The blonde hair and blue eyes gives him that look of innocence.

He then said, "This is enough talk today. You'll be a great leader. Just like your father."

I smiled a bit. A man I barely know has more faith in me than I do myself.

Derek said, "Now go along… I'm sure my wife has your room almost prepped. So for now, have a look around."

He looked at me expectantly. He then motioned towards the door. I took the hint and walked out. I walked towards the front doors when a certain brown haired girl got in my way.

Bailey said, "So looks like you owe me one since I saved your butt from that frost giant!"

I smiled a bit and said, "Yeah I guess so... I'll repay my debt."

I tried to walk past her but she got in my way again. This time I checked her out a bit more. She was very pretty, brown hair and beautiful brown eyes. Her skin was fair with a light tan. She definitely had a little bit of muscle to her. I then realized I was staring and blushed then looked away.

She said, "So how does it feel?"

I was confused, "What do you mean?"

"How does it feel to be a child of Norse? You're the only mortal son of the mighty Thor."

"Oh I see now. I don't want to lie or anything. I don't feel very special. The only thing this does is put my life in further danger. Not to mention people I care about tend to die... Now it just makes sence why they dropped."

She sighed, "I understand how that is... My father died when I was younger. He was run through by a frost giant. Derek found me by chance and put me in an orphanage. Horrible place but he left with a promise to come back. Then one day, maybe a year or two ago, he comes back for me. And here I am."

I could tell there was more to the story but, I wasn't going to push her for it.

There was a bit of an awkward silence between us but then she broke it and said, "How about I show you around. I can introduce you to the kids here."

I smiled and said, "I'd like that, thanks."

She smiled brightly at me and pointed towards an archery range she said, "Last one there is a rotten egg."

With that we raced straight to the archery range. She was a bit faster than I was so she beat me there a by a little bit. But it was a rush. She laughed and said, "Looks like you are the rotten egg today sir."

I laughed because she mock saluted me. Then a girl came up to us. She had a bow slung over her shoulder. She was a pretty white girl, didn't look like she got very dark tan. She was average height, about the same as Bailey; five foot five. She was fairly attractive.

She smiled at Bailey and then looked at me and offered her hand and said, "I'm Erica Daughter of Freyr, God of Sun, Fertility and peacefulness. And Baileys best friend here! You are?"

I smiled at her cheerfulness and took her hand and said, "I'm Orion. I'm new to this but they tell me my father is Thor."

Her face dropped and she did some kind of weird bow slash curtsy and said, "I'm sorry I didn't realize it."

Now it was my turn to be confused but Bailey laughed, "It's okay Erica. He isn't a stuck up brat or something."

I was so confused, "Wait, why is she bowing to me?"

Bailey laughed and said, "You alright there sparky? You're the son of the king of the gods. You will probably get some respect around here."

I frowned at this, "Please don't bow to me. Ever. It's kind of weird. And sparky really?"

She laughed at this and said, "It was the best I've got so far you are the son of the god of lightning and thunder. So, Sparky works."

I nodded my head. I can't believe it. Haven't been here one day and I already have a nickname. Erica then gave Bailey a wicked smile and Bailey blushed. She then said, "Well I have to get back to practice so I can get ready for my trials. It was nice meeting you Orion. Bailey, I'll see you later."

Erica walked back up the mound, or whatever it's called, and notched one arrow, and at the speed of light �"literally- I think she let it fly and had the next one out and ready and fired multiple arrows at multiple different targets.

I stood there with my jaw slung open and Bailey muttered something about show offs.

Then I remembered she said something about trials? I asked Bailey, "What did she mean prepare for her trials?"

Bailey sighed, "The trials are a test of combat, mind and sanity. In the old days it was a major ordeal. Now, Derek just sets up a couple of things that we have to do. Once you complete your trials you are officially able to go out into the world. All new people do. Erica has only been here for about three months."

It made since, "So, I will have to do these as well?"

Bailey laughed, "Yes. You are the son of Thor so I bet yours will be twice as hard."

I muttered that being a son of Thor was not sounding so good any more.

We then walked over to the field that Derek was telling me about where a boy and a girl were fighting with swords. They seemed quite skilled. One attacked and the other parried. One would go fast and offensive the other would go quick and defensive. It was quite impressive but then the guy disarmed her and had his sword pointed at her throat.

She gave him a wicked glare and then disappeared. My jaw dropped for probably the tenth time today. The guy yelled in frustration, "D****t I thought we agreed no powers this time."

There was a laugh and then the girl reappeared by a nearby tree sitting on a branch in the middle of the tree and said, "Whoops did I say that?"

He then smiled a little bit and said, "I guess I forgive you." he gave her a wink and she blushed.

Bailey cleared her throat and said, "If you love birds are done, I have someone I would like you all to meet."

They looked at her and the boy said, "Well, go on then, introduce him."

I walked forward and said, "Sorry, I was still a little entranced by your battle. My name is Orion, Son of Thor."

He shook his head and smiled, "Not quite what I expected, in some good ways. I'm Adrian, son of Heimdall. You may know him better as the guardian. He was the god that protected the bi-frost."

"Yes, I know of him."

Adrian was huge. Giant muscles, he looked like he definitely worked out from time to time. He wasn't the prettiest fellow. His face was all torn up with scars and by the looks of it, birth marks.

Then the girl walks up to me. She's darker, probably some form of Spaniard. She's pretty with dark black hair and eyes dark as night. She said, "I'm Ashley daughter of Hel."

I kind of took a step back and she said, "No worries. I'm nothing like my mother. Or my grandfather for that matter."

I smiled and said, "I trust you until you give me reason not to."

She smiled and said, "Don't worry. My powers are still progressing but I will not fail you in battle."

She winked at me a bit and I said, "So I saw that little Shadow Transport you did. What do you call it?"

She laughed and said, "Don't really have a name for it. Ghost mode I guess."

I laughed and said, "Do you have power over the dead too?"

She frowned a bit and said, "No. Not really, but if you are dying I can tell. I can tell when someone's life force is fading."

I frowned and said, "That is a little creepy."

She got this dark look on her face and said, "You have no idea."

It got really quiet when Adrian broke it and said, "Anyways, Orion, let's have a little sparring match. Probably, I'm going to be the one training you in sword combat. Until you get a weapon to fit your liking. So let's see what you got."

I frowned and said, "I don't know. I don't have much experience."

Adrian laughed and said, "Don't worry, I won't hurt you. Just so I know what I have to work with here."

Bailey pushed me forward a bit and Ashley handed me her sword and winked at me while saying, "Good luck."

I twirled the sword a bit and got the feeling for it. I noticed that Erica had come over to watch. So had two other boys. I could have sworn I saw some money exchanges from them. Adrian said, "When you are ready."

I nodded and we both pulled our swords up a bit. He then said, "Hit my sword. We hit at the same time and that will start the fight."

I did as he said and he stepped back into a deep position. I slowly circled him. I didn't know what to do. We circled for about a minute and then he was done waiting and lunged at me. I instinctively rolled to my right and attempted to slash at his head. I missed by inches and he came back around at me with a mighty blow trying to impale me.

He must have caught my look of panic and said, "Don't worry these swords are only sharp enough to cut and bruise. You'll be alright."

I nodded and he rushed forward at me. I sidestepped his first swipe and then attempted to slash at his back. He was clearly done messing around because I was inches from putting a gash in his back. He pushed me faster and more rapid than before. His moves were so fast I could not even comprehend them. Then with one last powerful blow, I attempted to block but he hit me right in the side. My sword clang to the ground as did I. People tried to rush forward to me but for some reason they couldn't.

It didn't really hurt, it just stung like crazy. I felt a tug in the bottom of my stomach and the air around me dropped a bit. Storm clouds began to circle us. The rain began slowly. I felt my energy return. Then people's voices came back to me. I could hear people making sure I was alright. I felt perfectly fine. Adrian looked guilty and he asked, "Hey, Orion are you alright I didn't mean to push you so hard on your first try."

I smiled and said, "It's okay. Let's roll again."

Bailey came up to me and said, "Orion, you don't have to do this. Adrian is one of the best swordsmen since his father himself."

My energy was just swelling. I looked her in the eye as calmly as possible and said, "I will be fine. I won't get better chickening out."

With that I pointed my sword at Adrian. He hesitantly clanged swords with me and he drew back into his stance. This time I did not wait to the attack. I sprung forward and attacked him with a series of attacks. He was quite taken aback by this. He attempted to deflect but I could tell a couple of my shots had hit its mark. The rain intensified and I grew stronger and faster. Eventually he made his mistake, he tried to roll out of the way and I sliced in a forty five and got him and clapped his weapon out of his hand and had my sword pointed at his throat.

Everyone went silent. And as fast as the storm had come, the storm was gone. They stared at me in shock. Then Derek came out of the shadow of a nearby tree and said, "Well done Orion, in your first day no less. I have to say though they said no powers, so you did cheat a little bit."

I blushed a bit and said, "Sorry, I didn't have control over that storm."

People stared at me in disbelief. Derek although laughed and said, "Incredible nonetheless. We will work on that through getting in control. I was also quite impressed with that little electro-magnetic shield you put up."

I was confused, "I didn't put up any shield."

"When everyone tried to move towards you, they could not. Your emotions, by themselves, put up a protective wall of electricity around you. We'll work on that some more at a later time. Everyone else continue on with whatever you were doing before.

People were walking off till it was just Adrian and Bailey. I looked at Adrian and said, "Sorry about that. I didn't mean to call on the power of the storm to help me."

Adrian laughed and said, "Nah don't worry about it. It was pretty awesome. Your eyes turned a shade of yellow and blue like the color of electricity. As soon as the storm came, your strength, your fighting ability, everything, just doubled. It was quite amazing, actually."

Bailey shook her head, "Geez Sparky, first day here and you're already cheating."

I thought she was serious at first but then she threw me a playful grin. I knew she was just messing with me at that point.

She told me, "Adrian and I are going to get some lunch. Do you want to come?"

I looked at her and then Adrian and said, "Nah I'll skip this time but thanks anyways. I need some time to clear my head."

I looked at Adrian and said, "You mind if I hold on to this just for the day?"

He laughed and said, "Keep it. We don't use practice swords much."

I gave him thanks and they walked towards the house. I started swinging the sword at a slow rhythm and then started doing random moves and slashed trying to get a feel for the sword. I did this for a little while when I noticed a boy sitting under a tree nearby just watching me. I suddenly felt a little weird. I wonder how long he had been watching me. I walked over to him slowly and he made no attempt to move.

I got up next to him and said, "Hello. I 'm new around here. Just got here today, I'm Orion, Son of Thor. What about you?"

The boy was about a half a head shorter than me. He had pale eyes, almost red looking. He was very skinny and seemed to... maybe radiate with power? He said, "My name is Karan. I am your cousin and the Son of Loki.



© 2012 Beau Orion Brown


Author's Note

Beau Orion Brown
(A/N) I feel good about this chapter. It was my longest one yet and I just think it was well written. I hope you'll like the little cliff hanger I put there right at the end. As Always please review and always enjoy. By the Way Karan means Tyrant. A little bit of foreshadow perhaps. Host Orion out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
Added on July 30, 2012
Last Updated on July 30, 2012
Tags: Norse, Mythology, War, Violence, Death, Romance


Author

Beau Orion Brown
Beau Orion Brown

Dallas, TX



About
I am a fifteen year old inspiring writer. I am from the United States born and raised! I have always loved to read and at some point one of my favorite writers inspired me myself to write and here i.. more..

Writing
Prolouge Prolouge

A Chapter by Beau Orion Brown