Fleeting Amour

Fleeting Amour

A Chapter by Kathryn Smith

As soon as the elevator doors opened, I found my ex sitting at the computer. Of course he’d be there at this time. I went up to him and said hello. Maybe he’d give me some confidence. After a short and strange conversation I forced myself to the desk.

My heart pounded as I walked up to him. He was looking down at something. This was beyond awkward. I stood there for a long time. Did he not hear me? Was he ignoring me? I made some noises with my feet. He still didn’t move. Finally I set the postcard down and he looked up, thankfully in a very calm manner.

Handing him the card, I trembled.

“It’s my last night here…and so I made this.”

He took it and smiled.

“Thank you very much!..I can give it to my boss..or what would you like me to do?”

“Well..It’s actually just for you.”

“For me?”

“Yes. For you.”

If I could freeze any reaction, it would’ve been his.

He nearly looked like he was going to break out crying. His eyes became glassy and he was most definitely deeply, deeply touched.

“This…This is so sweet!” He stood up touching his heart.

I laughed nervously.

“I must give you a hug!” He said excitedly. It was like he had turned into a little boy on Christmas Day.

Well that escalated.

“No one has ever done anything like this before, for me!” He said.

“Really?” I asked surprised.

“Really! I mean I’ve gotten sweets and things..but nothing like this.” He exclaimed opening the side door of the counter.

He walked over to me and gave me the best hug.

His suit was so silky and he was so thin, yet as our bodies pressed together in an embrace I felt all the broken pieces in my heart stick back together.

Then an idea popped into my head.

“Can I get a picture of you?”

“Just of me?”

“Yes!”

“No. No. We must be together.” His eyes glistened.

Before I could blink he was by my side again, took my camera and snapped our picture.

He looked at it, before I could.

“Do you want to take another one?” He asked eagerly.

He showed it to me. It was perfect.

“No that’s okay.” I smiled.

He sat back down and we began our conversation we were waiting so badly to have…

Because of the language barrier it was painfully awkward…yet I got the sense he was happy.

I could feel both of our hearts were in our throats.

I learned his favorite place in Paris was Sacre Coeur; He liked and thought I was from Chicago, he learned I wanted to be a Teacher and was very pleased. We talked about my sister, and my family. How I would have stories to tell when I got back home. He wanted to know everything about me. He also wanted recommendations of something. (I couldn’t understand what exactly he wanted them for.) I stammered as the conversation kept going.

“You said you were leaving tomorrow?” he asked for the millionth time with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes..I really don’t want to go.” I looked at him with some very sad eyes.

“You will be back though, yes?”

I looked into his eyes and at that moment, I knew.

"Yes. I'll be back."



© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kathyn,
A bit confusing, this: "As soon as the elevator doors opened, I found my (ex) sitting at the computer."

This chapter almost, actually was sweetly sensual … I mean, I was beginning to be stirred with the impending possibilities. ; )
It is almost a torturous love mystery, Kathryn, the way you keep me on the edge of my seat.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

my ex was along on the trip. (We went to college together and this was a college trip.)

read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 8, 2014
Last Updated on February 2, 2016