Crack up

Crack up

A Chapter by Peggy Gildon

 

     ADDICTION: a compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance; also persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful. 

This definition is found in Webster's dictionary.

 

Drug Abuse destroys more lives than any other disease.  Drug use starts out recreational, and then you're selling it to get your drugs free.  Then your stealing because you can't sell it anymore, you need it for your habit.  You become your own best customer.  And some people will get hurt or even killed so someone can get high!  I used to judge these people.  They were weak; they didn't want anything out of life but the high. 

     Until I learned some people are addicted.  Yes, some people can handle it, recreational; they call it, yet others become addicted. 

     This happened to my family.  Addiction doesn't just happen to an individual person.  It happens to everyone involved with that person and everyone involved with him or her.  Addiction is like being snatched up by the Devil, once he has you in his clutches, you'll play Hell getting away.

     Support is available, "ONE DAY AT A TIME".  We can't let this Addiction beat us.  Everybody pays the price!  Not just the individual family units, it affects all the people, through higher prices, higher security, police officers, more jails, and more drug programs. 

     It is my hope to bring more awareness into the communities.  To teach kids how to have fun, drug-free. We have begun with campaigns to TAKE BACK YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.  We have D.A.R.E. Drug Awareness Resistance Education being taught in our elementary schools.  We have Drug Treatment facilities.  We have halfway and three-quarter way houses. 

     We need to go further; we need more places to go.  I feel once the recovering addict has completed their program and are back in society, they find themselves at a loss.

     For a very long time an addicted person went with their drug of choice chasing that high.  Now they are recovering, and there are few safe places to go to have fun.

     Following is my story.  A story of how crack-cocaine brought our family to its knees.  Of how I watched my son fight this demon, and win, then lose, up and down, back and forth, like a roller coaster full of every imaginable emotion.

                            * * *

        It was the morning of January 3, 1997; we had fought this addiction since August of 95.  Actually Mike had been fighting it since the summer of `94.  I didn't find out until `95.

       "Come on Mike, we have to be there by 9 a.m., have you got everything?"  I asked. 

     Mike stood 5' 8" with his shoulder-length blonde wavy hair, kept short on top with the ever-popular ponytail spiraling to his shoulder.  His deep sea-blue eyes expressed whatever mood he was in at the time; the little turned up nose he inherited from my dad, a smile that would melt a mother's heart, on 135-LB small frame, that he built up lifting weights.  

    "Why do I have to go there?  I can do this on my own!  I don't need their help!"  He protested, angrily. 

     "You've been in drug treatment for a year; in that time you have been in Detox, out patient Rehab, a 30-day residential treatment program, none of them have worked for you.  The judge wants you in "Turning Point Bridge".  If you refuse to go there, your only alternative is jail,” I stated, trying to reason with him.

     "What will it be like?"  He quizzed me.

     "I spoke with a woman there, she told me for the first couple of weeks you have to work on yourself, group meetings, and individual therapy.  You can have visitors when your counselor says you're ready, you can go to work after about 4-6 weeks and outside Alcoholics and Narcotics anonymous meetings.  She also told me they have a very high success rate,” I answered him with all the hope I could muster.

     My sister Beth was visiting from Michigan, she was with me when they called and said to bring him in.  They had only given me a day's notice.  I think because Beth was with me, Mike didn't put up the fight he would have, had it been just the two of us.

      Beth was the oldest, 3-1/2 years between us, my second mother.  I idolized her growing up.  We didn't get real close until we left home.  She could have been a model; she was a Playboy Bunny in her youth.      

     "Let's go Mike," I repeated.  I knew he needed this program, I knew he couldn't go on as he had been. 

     We put his belongings in the van.  The air was cool and crisp under a blue cloudless sky.  It was quiet on the drive up.  Beth and I tried to make conversation, but Mike was lost in his thoughts. 

     When I told him last night he was coming here this morning, he asked for my van.

     "No, you can't borrow my van, for what, one last time?"  I asked in disbelief.

     "I'm going, whether you like it or not."  Mike stated.

     "I'll stay up all night if I have to, you're not going anywhere!"  I objected.

     "Watch me!"  He glared.

     I woke up Beth, asking her to watch the door; Amy was aware of the situation and stayed with Mike in his room playing video games. Amy my youngest 12 years old and very wise, given what she had seen in her short life.  I sat at his door trying to stay awake. 

     Around 4 a.m. I set my alarm for half an hour, just as I dozed, Amy woke me.  "Mike just took off in the van."  She cried. 

     I jumped out of bed and out the door.  Now what?  I had no van to go find him.  "How did he get out?"  I asked Amy.

     "Through the utility room, I was playing video games and he left the room, I thought he was going to the bathroom until I heard the van start up.  Then I came and got you."  She said.

     In ten minutes he was back, I met him outside, grabbed my keys and asked him if he was done now.  I took my keys and locked them in my room.  I posted myself in his room.  We were going to fight.

     At 6 a.m. Beth came into the kitchen, aware of the tension between us.  "Have you guys been up all night?"  She asked.

     "What do you think?"  I asked. "Look at him!"

     "Mike, you didn't?"  Beth asked curiously.

     Mike shrugged his shoulders and hung his head.

     "Are you all packed?"  Beth asked

     "I'm not going."  Mike said matter of factly.

     "You can see you need to do this, come on Mike we're gonna be late."  She said.

     Yes, I have to say I was happy he was going into treatment


© 2011 Peggy Gildon


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Peggy, this is so very true, I used to work for the National Council on Alcoholism here and they offered in-house rehabilitation services to not only people experiencing alcohol addiction but all types of addictions. I agree that we need to concentrate more on helping people overcome their addictions rather than punishing them with jail time & criminal records. I'll be continuing to read this throughout the days as I find the extra time to actually concentrate. Love the beginning.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is heartbreaking. So many people and their families face this horror daily.
You are a good writer. It was interesting to read. I am sorry it is non-fiction..I will be back to read more - hoping for a happy ending.

Chloe

Posted 12 Years Ago


*hug* You have been very busy. This is wonderfully written. Bravo

Posted 12 Years Ago


My Dear Writing Friend Peggy,
This write was extremely good and was a typical example that so many refuse to see, the trap of addiction and the collateral damage that is placed on all involved whether they want it or not.
Thank you for sharing with us the this story, I pray that others whom suffer will take courage from you write and set boundaries for them selves by getting help. It reminded me of this thought. “It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog”. You have a lot of size of fight in the dog.

Blessings, Laughing-Bear


Posted 12 Years Ago


While I have been there briefly Peggy I realise it can be an evil problem for anyone
You writing is poignant and I wish you every success in raising public awareness

Posted 12 Years Ago


Excellent write! This stories will touch hearts of many, including mine!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Peggy, this is so very true, I used to work for the National Council on Alcoholism here and they offered in-house rehabilitation services to not only people experiencing alcohol addiction but all types of addictions. I agree that we need to concentrate more on helping people overcome their addictions rather than punishing them with jail time & criminal records. I'll be continuing to read this throughout the days as I find the extra time to actually concentrate. Love the beginning.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOW Peggy, this was a very intense story one I plan to finish. I could feel the tension. I've been around alcoholics and your right it effects the whole family!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

592 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 19, 2011
Last Updated on June 19, 2011


Author

Peggy Gildon
Peggy Gildon

Tamarac, FL



About
I have lived in South Florida for 23 years I am originally from Southern Michigan. I have two grown children and four adorable granddaughters. 10, 7, 6, and 3 who spend most weekends with me. I am i.. more..

Writing
chapter 2 chapter 2

A Chapter by Peggy Gildon


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Peggy Gildon


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Peggy Gildon



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..