Prologue - How to Make Friends (the Hard Way)

Prologue - How to Make Friends (the Hard Way)

A Chapter by Natalie Mark
"

The first prologue in this epic adventure. Still figuring the format out. 1 = Nova; nothing in front = the other character. Will have it all sorted next chapter. Enjoy!

"
September 5:
1 "Do you know what the homework was for English 2 yesterday?"
"Uh, yeah, who is this?"
1 "Goffawd our teacher gave me your number without telling me you're name. So here I am, texting you."
"Um, okay. We're supposed to write an essay about the worst moments of our life. Minimum three pages."
1 "Oh, lovely (I said sarcastically)."
"Who are you?"
1 "That would be ruining the mystery."
"That was a creepy answer."
1 "I'm a creepy person �" OH WAIT NO SORRY I SHOULDN'T HAVE SAID THAT WOOPS."
"You're not supposed to tell people you're flirting with that you're creepy, you know?"
1 "We're not flirting..."
";)"
1 "*swoons and knocks over a lamp in the process*. Beat still, my flustered heart."
"Flustered heart? That sounds painful. Like your hearts all tangled up in weird little knots."
1 "I've been reliably informed that's what love feels like."
"Sounds painful and dangerous. Might possibly be a gigantic waste of time."
1 "Thanks for the info. I'll email it to the teach right away. Bye."
"Bye."
":)"

September 13:
"Can you give me a hint as to who you are, oh majestic one?"
1 "No... All I can tell you is that I saved your contact as the Subtle Flirt..."
"Sexy. I saved yours as 'Intelligent Sexiness'."
1 "Subtle."
"Good, I thought my painstakingly fought for subtlety was lost on you."

September 15:
"I'm really curious as to who you are! Come on! Just a little hint!"
1 "That would be playing fair."
"I wasn't aware we were playing. Is it a game? Is it a really intense form of tic-tac-toe or Twister. I dominate at Twister..."
1 "Is that your subtle way of telling me that you are flexible????????????"
"No comment."

September 20
1 "Now I'm curious, who are you?"
"Why do you ask?"
1 "I was reviewing our texts, (because of reasons), and want to make sure you aren't a serial killer, stalker, vampire, werewolf, demon, thing... Are you?"
"That's funny. I am laughing out loud. HA ha ha aha aha ha ha ha ha ha �" MAYBE."
1 "Jesus I hope you're not a vampire. Serial killer I could like with, but a sparkly-a*s immortal winer? Hella no."
"Not a vampire. I'm a thing."
1 "What thing?"
"Anything. Nothing. Everything."
1"Poetic. Are you often very mellifluous and poetical and pragmatic and pretentious?"
"Party like it's 1599."
1 "Well, I'm happy you're not a vampire because I was nervous that I was about to get sucked into a bad "Twilight" fangfic (no pun intended I hate that s**t)."
"You totally intended that pun!"
1 "Okay �" you caught me!"
"That's adorable. I never find anyone who hates the same thing as me!"
1 "Aw! Hating things is so wonderful."
"First time anyone's ever told me that my hatred is adorable. My soul is aflutter on the wings of joy."
1 "Oh crap I have to go bye."
"Bye."
1 "I feel so loved..."


September 27:
1 "Whatcha doing for Thanksgiving?"
"Eating and yelling at the TV with my parents. You?"
1 "Mostly just eating. Why do you think we even have this holiday?"
"I don't know, but it should be renamed, like, National Gain 5-Pounds Day".
1 "I like it! It could be followed up with Failed Promises to Lose Weight Day."
"Followed by Diabetes Day."
1 "Am I a terrible person laughing at that???"
"Yes, you are a sweet and terrible person. Like one of those sweet and sour candies that are really overpriced."
1 "I ain't cheap."
"Evidentially... *back away slowly while throwing pennies at you*"
1 "What the hell?"

October 1:
"I've decided that I don't really care who you are in real life anymore."
1 "No?"
"Yeah. I like our own little reality we have growing right here. I like the span of space between out phone's that's filled with all the weird s**t we've said to each other."
1 "I like that too. *sobs*"
"I didn't want to make you cry! You won't like me if I make you cry!"
1 "No, it's okay. I like to cry. I'm a masochist (or a sadist? Whichever applies to what I just said...)"
"Lovely."
1 "I have a mildly big secret to tell you."
"What, are you preggers?"
1 "No, come on. This is serious."
"Sorry. What is it."
1 "I'm in the hospital."
"What? Why? Are you okay?"
1 "Depends on your definition of 'okay'. Technically, like, physically, I am okay. But mentally... nada so much. I've actually been in the hospital since about August, so I wasn't really in your class all that much."
"Why are you in the hospital?"
"Never mind. Don't tell me! That's your business, sorry. You should only tell me if you want to."
1 "Thanks."
1 "I don't want to."
1 "It's not that I don't trust you."
1 "But I don't trust you."
1 "Don't take it personally."
1 "You're just kind of a stranger."
"Don't worry! You don't have to trust me! Just know that if you ever want to talk about anything �" anything at all �" I'm just a phone call or a text away."
1 "Thanks. That means a lot to me."


October 5:
1 "Can we text?"
"I believe we have already answered that question by texting."
1 "OH MY GOD YOU ARE SO"
1 "Anyway. Can I ask you opinion on something stupid?"
"Yeah, go ahead. I'm a fountain of knowledge on the idiotic."
1 "I feel like a total idiot for being afraid of this, but I am. So, my therapist lady in the hospital (her name's Ginny) is like 10-months pregnant and I'm worried that if I talk about my problems to her to much I'm going to mess up her kid!"
1 "You can laugh."
"I am laughing, but that's not stupid! It's a totally valid fear to have to think you're going to mess up someone by talking to them about how messed up you are!"
"Not to say you're messed up."
1 "Yeah, I am."
"Everyone's messed up. People's minds are like headphones in pockets: always getting tangled and occasionally doing something useful."
1 "I'm laughing so hard I fell on the floor. I like your unusual little metaphors."
"Thanks. I take great pride in my ability to turn anything into a metaphor and/or simile. I wouldn't be worried about her kid, honestly, if she is confident enough to go to work, your confident enough to go to her. If that makes any sense."
1 "That makes a lot of sense, thanks."
1 "Is it weird that you make more sense than my therapist?"
"No. I make more sense than a lot of people!"
1 "HA! Oh, you can always make me laugh!"
"Making you laugh is one of the things that makes me happy. The other things are: chocolate, you making jokes, ice cream, television, cats, you saying adorable things, books, television, not exercising, and classical mythology."
1 "Quite a list."
"Okay, I have an idea for what you can do when you feel nervous. Want to hear it? I know you do so I'm going to say it anyway."
"Get a box or a bag or a jar and label it something along the lines of 'Funny stuff that makes me crack the hell up" and put everything �" LITERALLY EVERYTHING �" that makes you happy or laugh in it. Anytime you're sad, just open it up and read out of it until you're happy."
1 "That's a good idea. I'm smiling. I made one out of a cup, and it's currently hidden under my bed. I already went back through all of our texts and put all the great stuff we said in it."
"Happy to help."
1 "Thank you so much."
"NO. Thank you."


© 2014 Natalie Mark


Author's Note

Natalie Mark
They are such dorks. Love them so... Tune in for the next chapter to find out just where the hell this crazy train of love is going...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on February 28, 2014
Last Updated on February 28, 2014
Tags: Romance, sadness, texts, happiness, hospitals, funny, jokes, metaphors, questions, plot twists, drama


Author

Natalie Mark
Natalie Mark

Cambria



About
15. Emotionally damaged by fiction. more..

Writing