Remnants of her pride

Remnants of her pride

A Chapter by Rimpi Saikia
"

"The one thing she feels-pain"

"

From that high up in the building, the world seemed enormously distant to her. The weather was changing for the worse; dark black clouds gathered all around her, and her head hurt.

She kept looking, with no particular expression, down on her fellow human beings right through an impalpable void.

Did she want to be one of them? She did not know.

Was there someone out there who's looking out for her? She could not care.

All those people seemed like bees to her; bees buzzing and humming all around, bees creating unwanted chaos, bees always looking out for something, bees with undeniable universes right in their heads, bees she could not care less about, bees she had to look after, and bees she needed to dispose of.

She was indeed a bee herself; but she was unique in more ways than one. She had no tendencies of buzzing. She was not very sure what chaos was, though she was constantly familiarized with the term. She looked out for stuff she's ordered to, and the universe inside her head was devoid of feelings and memories.

Yes. She could not feel. She had no memories of herself.

The last thing she remembers is waking up at an odd house with an enormous headache. She could no longer remember her name, her home, or whatever happened to her. Her brain had been wiped clean of her own memories and new memories had been coerced. The undeniable fact is she lost her ability to feel anything but physical pain in the process.

Oh yes. The new memories.

Memories nothing of the sort as expected of a 16 year old.

The buzzer in her room went off. The sound hurt her ears, but complaining is a thing she still has not mastered. 

She went out of the damp room into the adjacent store room. That one door with three large boxes almost covering the jinx of it, she stood there and tapped each of the boxes. The door opened into a long corridor. She walked through the corridor to the lift at the end. It had sensors all around, and she was the only one the lift opened to. She entered. She never had to click any buttons; the lift was programmed to take her only to that one special room.

That particular room would be the most lavishly fashioned one as far as her memories of rooms were concerned, It had the most expensive wood-worked furniture, the most latest gadgets and sensors, the best air-conditioning and a ridiculous lot of PCs. It presented a humongous view of the city; as high up as it was.

And then there was this lavishly clad young man, who was a perfect epitome of 'everything wrong at right times', if such an expression exists, that is. He would leisurely sit back on his super comfortable chair and spend most of the time looking down on the people of the city. Oh yes- looking down on people was what he lived for.

More often than not he would get incredibly bored of that room. Looking down was great from that high up but sometimes he could not savor all the panic from the never-ending chaos of the city from his seat. He wanted to go down there, enjoy every emotion meted out by his fellow human beings, relish on their anguish, and predict their course of action.

But he could not just go down there after all!

His designation as the mayor of this dazzling city was far too great a calling then he'd expected, so much to become a noose in the neck at times. It definitely came with it's own set of bliss manifested, but the disadvantages tagging along drove him insane. Oh how he would regret his whole life missing  those moments of a woman trembling at the sight of disaster, a teenager hopelessly entering a phase of self-delusion, a sweet summer child hovering over her dead mother and what not? All their anguish he would gladly accept; all their pain he would happily share. What for does he need to be the mayor anyway? What good can it possibly be when he's missing out all the instincts his city has to offer? The thought of being stuck up in a room frustrated the life out of him.

Yes. Yudhisthir Mishra just got frustrated of being a mayor.

But that feeling was short-lived. Soon he was laughing and spinning on his chair, for his doll had just entered the room.

"Ah Adeen, Adeen, Adeen! I know right? I still have to be the mayor after all! I must be! Or who would be creating all the chaos I want for me?" He blabbered like a maniac.

She hardly ever understands what the 27-year old ever says; yet she quietly nods.

"Ah look at you nodding away! That little expression on your face cheers me to tears! Hey Adeen, I can feel a storm coming. Can you feel it, can you feel it?" He gently jerks her, but his eyes were all but gentle.

"The weather is indeed getting worse. Possibilities of a storm are prominent.", she says.

He shakes his head in disappointment, "That filthy doctor did quite a number on you, didn't he?" He stares at his decorative chessboard, his expression serious.

"Young girls ought to be afraid of thunder, you know.", he picks up the king from the chessboard made of pure glass; she stares at his movements.

"What a shame. That beautiful face of yours would have been magnificent with a tinge of fear.", he throws out the white king on the leather sofa, and drops onto it himself, sighing.

"I don't understand what you're talking about.", she says, sitting down beside him.

"You see, nobody does! I'm just a lonely king after all.", he heavily sighs. Sometimes she wonders whether making sense of everything he says came down to something; whether all the bees of the world buzz like he does.

"Anyway, I'm pretty bored," he tosses the white king on his fingers, " I guess i'll just have to play again."

"Is there something you want me to do?"

"Why, of course, my doll! Apparently there's something you can do." He chuckled as he played with her dark brown bangs.

"Those Silva brothers i told you about, do you remember, doll?"

"Yes. You said the brothers are rivals in business, and that the older brother Jonathan was having the sweeter deal. The younger Silva, Javier is however the leader of 'The Diamonds', a large gang notorious for it's delinquency. They are a fearful lot and has quite the influence over the whole city."

"Your memory is sharp as ever ha, Adeeeeen?", he smirked; thinking he would hit a sensitive spot, but she remained indifferent.

"Ahem... okay then dollie, do you know that you are a member of the diamonds as well?"

Now that was a surprise. "What do you mean?"

"Indeed you are. I've arranged for that."

"I see."

"Tch."

He surely cannot have fun with someone who cannot feel, he lamented. Often he would picturise the myriad of emotions that could be her face, and that makes him want to kill the old doctor all over again.

"Well then, since you are as good as a doll and I no longer have strange doll fetishes,"  he says with a voice drenched in disappointment, "you might as well just rough Jonathan up a bit for me."

"Understood. But what good would come from it?"

"You dolls seriously don't get it." He was almost annoyed. "Well you see, you're a member of the diamonds, which is Javier's masterpiece. When you rough up Jonathan, it's just as same as Javier roughing up Jonathan. Remember, you are by no means allowed to kill."

She nodded and started walking out of the room. She paused at the door.

"Why are you doing this?"

He was looking out of the window. He smiled. So there is a a trace of something in her after all.

He turned to her and chuckled, "Well Adeen, I just am dying to see what happens after that, that's all there is for me!"

She walked out and shut the door behind her. She could never understand him after all.

.............................



© 2017 Rimpi Saikia


Author's Note

Rimpi Saikia
Man, this was long! I guess I'll cut short the descriptive parts but then I want you guys to know the characters better... I'll make the story take a faster pace from next chapter on.

Happy reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on April 3, 2017
Last Updated on April 3, 2017


Author

Rimpi Saikia
Rimpi Saikia

About
Sapiosexual Saganist. Science-obsessed rock chick. Logophilic otaku. more..

Writing
Runaways Runaways

A Story by Rimpi Saikia