Her voice, mystical

Her voice, mystical

A Chapter by Rimpi Saikia
"

"She finds her inspiration"

"

Yami shut her book up, frustrated. She was definitely in no mood for relations between elastic constants, as she was now.

It's been almost a week since she returned, since that ominous day Raiden turned his back on her and walked away; leaving her behind with that lunatic of a man Jay. She had half a mind to run after Rai, and she definitely would have had she not been very bluntly interrupted by that 'I-know-everything-about-everything-so-bear-with-me' jerk. He just asked her to leave him alone, that there was a lot going on in his mind. This just made her super angry if nothing else. As far as she was concerned, her authority and 'rights' over Raiden were definitely not something this guy was acquainted to. He could pretend all he want, but the one true fact is that nobody could understand Rai as much as she did; and that's basically why she hasn't asked him what was bothering him just yet.

He would tell her on his own accord.

After tomorrow night. He definitely will.

She smiled to herself. All this time they were together, her voice had never failed to coax out the most sincere smiles he's smiled. She'd sung all kinds of songs for him, songs she hated, songs not in the slightest bit related to her preferred genre, songs way out of her league. She could visually picturise it in her head, all those times she performed solely for him. His face would light up with a whole rainbow of emotions, and she cherished every bit of it.

And tomorrow would be her first performance as a high-schooler of Gulmohar High; and all her notes and vibrations would be dedicated to him. After all, that was the least she could do in order to make up for all this time that she left him alone.

..........................


"What about it, Rai? You definitely look down today.", She said, adjusting her dark brown bangs. "You have been reading Murakkami again, haven't you?"

He would gently smile. "You sure know what to say, don't you?"

She would pick out some big book out of the mythological section. It amazed him how she could read just about anything. Last time they were here she was deeply engrossed in some history of Alexandria.

"If you miss her that much why just not give her a call? Reading her favorite books would not really do much help, you know."

He sighs. "I don't want to bother her. She's finally achieved what she always dreamt of. I'll probably just get in her way. Her voice... it was always meant to be heard by the world. Funny how i thought i could have her all to myself."

"Well then don't bother wearing that expression of a Romeo. If you have zero possibilities of making her stay; if you are truly happy letting  her go, then at least pretend to be cheerful", she said, almost sternly.

"People leave. Deal with it. It's no one's fault."

He would stare as she recoils back into her book. For some strange reason he felt good.

"What are you doing this weekend?" He asked quietly as the librarian motioned them to be silent, thanks to her little almost-outburst there.

"That's coming out of the blue. Do I look like a girl with plans?", she would pretty much glare.

"Good for me," he smiles, "maybe we could go get coffee sometime, what say, Adeen?"

.............................

As she blissfully honeyed out her voice he closed his eyes. And a part of him cringed at the fact that he had actually stopped missing her voice a year ago or so. But then she was an angel after all, he was stunned beyond comprehension. She had become so much better in these two years; her unplugged version of heart-shaped box is actually grinding his insides to the point of tears. Kurt Cobain was their mutual idol, and lately all he's been doing is listening to him.

Jay was unusually enthusiastic. Her voice even mellowed down his 'let's-take-this-world-by-a-storm' self. But to him all of her melodies didn't seem quite benevolent. He could sense an amazing darkness in her; which drew everyone to her like a butterfly drawn to pollen. That mysterious dark energy made her all the more intriguing.

The audience remained stunned long after she finished her song. It was only after she walked down the stage that they filled her up with applause. All of their compliments she graciously accepted; though she could hardly betray her restless self which longed to see him, he who matters the most.

Her chain of thoughts were cut short by a strong hug by a man twice her size. "Oh my pettutie baby I'm so proud of you!"

Yeah right. Dad.

"well... ehh... Dad! You're embarrassing me!", she whisper shouted; but well apparently her old man was just too proud of her after all. He was almost in tears, and she hoped the earth would just swallow her whole.

"Yami, my dear baby, you were so good!"

"Geez thanks Dad. Now would you let go of me already!"

He did let her go, very reluctantly though; but his face light up more than ever.

"There's someone we got to see pettutie!"

"Now what-," she trailed as her father already dragged her to the chief guests' section. Now there were three chief guests for that year; the police superintendant, the 'person of the year', and the mayor; so she was told. She was least interested in all of that stuff, for all she wanted now was to see Raiden.

Her father completely ignored the other two person of honour, and went straight ahead to the Mayor. She was stunned.

This guy is the Mayor!

The one her father introduced her to was a young man, probably in his twenties; and with a face that would put the hottest superstars she adored to shame. Unlike any image of a mayor she had sub-consciously imprinted on her mind, he wore black t-shirts and jeans which was in perfect compliance with his sculpted body.

Needless to say she forgot about Raiden for the time being.

"Oh! If it isn't David." He smirked and for the first time she felt her Dad was actually quite cool.

"Hello Sir! What a great pleasure it is to see you again!", her over enthusiastic father seemed barely able to keep his excitement, though she felt the hot guy in black was hardly impressed.

"Cut me the crap, will ya? You're the last person in this world who is pleased to see me; I'm smart enough to know that."

She could not comprehend the so-not-appropriate exchange, but she saw her father's face change colors.

"Well...," he looked around, almost nervous. and said, "here.. th- this is my daughter."

Yudhisthir Mishra suddenly seemed very excited and turned to her. "What a pretty doll you got there, David! Hey sweetie, you a Kurt Cobain fan?"

Her cheeks reddened. "Yes. A big one."

He chuckled, "Your daughter just saved your butt, Devil."

She wondered if this guy really was the mayor after all.

"So, Yami, was it? You've got a terrific voice, I'll give you that. And besides your pretty face reminds me of another doll I'm closely associated to. Isn't that right, Devil?" She saw her father panting.

She didn't know what would be the perfect response; he was an important person after all.

"Well as much as I'd love to see you fret, but you do have someone waiting for you outside, you better run, Yami.", his eyes smirked.

What on earth was this man?

"How'd you know that?"

Yudhisthir was very, very amused; and he never cared enough to let his face betray his emotions.

"Run before he runs away again. Meanwhile your Dad and I need to refresh some of our favorite memories, don't we, Devil?"

David gulped, "Yes... i guess...". This guy sure didn't care about pretending anything.

She would have liked to question a lot more, but now that Raiden was mentioned she jumped to her feet. She ran out of the auditorium, ignoring Jay in the process who basically was for some strange reason on his knees.

He stood there leaning on the railing. She reached him, out of breath.

"Yami," he took her by the arm.

She leaned on him. "So you finally decide to talk."

He half-smiled. "Yes. Let's go."



© 2017 Rimpi Saikia


Author's Note

Rimpi Saikia
Please review! ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on April 3, 2017
Last Updated on April 3, 2017


Author

Rimpi Saikia
Rimpi Saikia

About
Sapiosexual Saganist. Science-obsessed rock chick. Logophilic otaku. more..

Writing
Runaways Runaways

A Story by Rimpi Saikia