Enter the lightning

Enter the lightning

A Chapter by Rimpi Saikia
"

"The city shines"

"

"And this is seriously the best place you could find, miss?", the man asked, disgusted by the number of people around.

"Why?", Chaki said, reluctantly taking out the lollipop in her mouth. "They have the best espresso I've ever tasted."

"Do I look like I'm here for some lame espresso?"

"Woooaaahhh, impatient, are we?" Chaki chuckled. This was always fun. "Well if it comes down to what you look like; I don't have the best of opinions. You look like an over-nutritioned dog on crack."

He gritted his teeth and banged the table with his fists. It was enough to create a scene and attract masses with little better to do; and if not for the commotion around it sure would have. Not that she was concerned anyway, she loved to be on the spotlight.

"Quit playing games with me. Do you have the information or not?"

"What if I say I don't?", she smirked for effect. "Holy s**t this one's got a chewing gum inside! Today's a great day for sure!"

"I can end your pathetic life right here, you little b***h."

"You're not serious, are you? You can't possibly do that to someone as cute as me. And you don't call someone who's doing you favors names; momma never taught you that?"

He introduced the end of the gun he'd been hiding in his coat pocket. "See this baby right here?", now was his turn to smirk, "It has made more corpses out of worthless little s***s like you than your pea-sized brain can imagine."

"A gun? How predictable.", she chomped on her lolli-chewing gum, clearly looking bored. "And stop calling that thing a baby. It's just plain lame."

He could hardly contain himself. His fists hardened.

"Now then," she stiffened, "I do have the information you seek. But I'm not giving it up for free you see."

"Finally getting down to business, huh", he grinned and handed over the large suitcase he had been holding to her.

She checked it. All clear.

"Well then", she stood up. "Sayyonara. I'll miss you."

She jumped up on the table and then down onto the ground, spilling all the espresso on him in the process.

"Hey, what the hell-", he pulled out his gun; but a disgusting smell almost made him choke on his own breath. Before he knew the whole coffee shop was engulfed in smoke, blurring down his vision to nil. The smell got even stronger.

Meanwhile she was already down on the street excited about the chase that's to come. The timing was perfect. She just had to make it to the station alive.

"Hey owner man!", she shouted out to the fat old man in the coffee house losing his s**t over all the smoke and all the rotten smell; "I'm sorry about this but you left me little choice. Your espresso sucks!"

"You little b***h!", a choking voice emerged from the smoke and it most definitely was not the deranged shop owner or any of the panicked customers.

"Woohoo you're fast!", she nervously chuckled; and launched another smoke grenade while a bullet grazed past her.

"Shoot I'm late!", she exclaimed while launching the last of her stink bombs made out of burning plastic and vinegar. "Goodbye people! I'll definitely miss this town!"

With this she entered the cab waiting for her; and pulled down her scarlet wig and hoodie; revealing black long hair like a black waterfall.

"That was a close one.", the man on the driver seat commented.

"Yeah but it's alright. Now make a run for it, Bijay! They'll be trailing us in no time."

The cab sped on, leaving the trail of dust behind. Destined to the railway station.

.......................

At the railway station


...Chaki and Bijay soon mixed up with the crowd. They were in fact trailed but her disguise had been perfect. She made sure her bangs hid her most distinctive feature; her eyes. She had amazingly beautiful dark brown eyes; and more often than not they got her in trouble.

"That's the train", he pointed out. "It's already leaving!"

That was not a problem. Jumping and spinning are engraved inside her soul like the most exquisite mural.

"Here," she handed him his share of the job, "Take care, Bijay."

"Will you be coming back?"

She looked around. "Not anytime soon. See ya!"

She ran and hopped on the running train. That amount of stunt she was sure couldn't kill her.

She stared out into the open as the train sped. It was about time she hit the city life.

.........................

"Oh so you made it alive and good. I'm so glad", Victor landed a hand on his chest for reasons unfathomable to her.

"Well buy me a drink then."

"How many more favors would you like, Chaki?"

"Just this last one. You see it's not even a favor considering the risks of my service to you. Now get me my glass of red wine already."

Victor turned to the bartender. "You heard the lady."

"Good boy."

"Yeah whatever,"he pouted. Why he wanted to look cute was clearly out of her league. "Now while we're at it; I don't have the slightest doubt on your capacities as an information dealer, but you do know this time you've gotta steal the thing for me?"

"You say steal like it's a bad thing." She sipped on her freshly arrived drink. "Want me to sign a blood pact or something? You need the info, you're gonna get it. Make sure i get my paycheck in time."

He stared at her for a moment. "Well you see a simple news reporter like me isn't very accustomed to taking risks. But the likes of us have been trained to never indulge in stuff we can't pull off and to never back down from stuff we've poked our nose in. So I'm just making sure this deal is profitable to us both."

"Yeah whatever cut it out already. I know what i gotta do." News reporters are naturally a pain for her. But right now he was the only person she could trust.

"Very well.", he smiles, satisfied. "Here's to our intertwined pathways," he said raising his glass. "Cheers."

She lift her glass to meet his'. "Cheers."



© 2017 Rimpi Saikia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on April 3, 2017
Last Updated on April 3, 2017


Author

Rimpi Saikia
Rimpi Saikia

About
Sapiosexual Saganist. Science-obsessed rock chick. Logophilic otaku. more..

Writing
Runaways Runaways

A Story by Rimpi Saikia