Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Parting

Parting

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

and by M. J. Y. and Emily Dickinson

"

The whole movement of existence

Upon this we would mull;

Material to spiritual,

Slow but inevitable

 

We didn’t think, in naïve youth

We’d touch this truth so soon

But fate does not discriminate ~

No mortal is immune

 

And now when Life seems toilsome

In middle-aged ennui

My mind will turn to what we learn

In words from Emily

 

I did not understand them, then

But now I know too well ~

Parting is all we know of heaven,

And all we need of hell.

 

© 2013 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
On November 5, 1990 a dear friend was killed in a car accident; she was 22. She had introduced me to the poems of Emily Dickinson, and when I read "My Life Closed Twice..." in my lucky innocence I said, "I don't get it." She said that I would someday...

The italicized lines in the first stanza are Mindy's, from a poem she had written. The final lines, of course, are Emily's.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Rita,

This is so moving. It is amazing how a conversation can come back after a tragedy and be suddenly filled with meaning. I love Dickinson, she speaks to me, and so did your poem but especially that first stanza filled with wisdom and a reality born too soon.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Blue. I remember the conversations we would have, "wordly wise" college kids, tal.. read more
This is beautifully wrought, Rita. The grief in your words is palpable, and yet the words themselves are strong. When we lose people in the prime of their lives, it really does hurt and confuse us a lot, partly because death is so unanticipated, but more because we never get to know what wonderful things they might have experienced in life.
I haven't read Emily Dickinson, but that ending couplet now surely makes me want to read her works. I like very much how you use words from different poets and sew them all together to write this caring tribute for your dear friend.
Beautiful poem

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Abdul. I have no doubt that Mindy would have done extraordinary things; this is my small .. read more
Dear Rita,
This is a most fitting tribute to your dear friend lost at such a young age! Mindy had a gift that she used to communicate with you and to others her understanding of the words of Emily Dickinson in her poem.

The lines you have added that speak of middle age sadly did not come for her, yet it is clear she understand the message of the poem written by Miss Dickinson even at her young age.

Mindy's words are lovely, and your words are equally as lovely! I thank you for sharing them with us! May her spirit be ever blessed!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Sheila, thank you so much for your kindness and prayers. Every year that passes, especially on the a.. read more
I've never read Emily Dickinson though I know I should. There's a lot of crap I should do I haven't gotten around to yet. Good Poem Rita. It is true in youth we don't think about death until it happens to someone in our lives and it's usually one rude damn surprise.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

One rude damn surprise - yep. That was exactly how it felt. Thank you, Mark.
A beautiful yet dark and sorrowful poem. I am very sorry for your loss. Nothing could do justice to the beauty in this sad yet wonderful tribute. Your friend would truly be proud of having had you in her life.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

In this small way, I am sharing her short legacy. Thank you, Gleb.

4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1578 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on November 5, 2013
Last Updated on November 9, 2013

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Belize Belize

A Poem by redflutterby