80s Band

80s Band

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

<>

"

In the old music hall

close your eyes

 

let that East Coast sound

take you back to yesterdecade…

 

peek at the crowd

with bygone-shaded eyes

 

before marriage and mortgages

before babies and biopsies

before life painted their dreams

with wide brushstrokes of reality

 

and when the homeboys play

their almost-hit,

still giving everything they’ve got…

 

be sure to sing along

© 2014 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
Went to see a buddy in a band this weekend...



My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

80's bands the best era of music, Duran Duran, A-ha, Wham, Depeche Mode, Frankie goes to Hollywood..
supported by your cool poetry..good concept smart write and totally enjoyed the A's song:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

:) Thanks, A... They are a fun band, totally 80s!
A lovely little bit of nostalgia, quirky but still poignant in its reflective feel...I'm from the East Coast too you know ;) I have heard of The A's but never heard any of their stuff before...they sound like a group I could get into though...anyways, I must now get out my Police records and spin them in earnest, gotta run :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

They definitely epitomize that 80s sound... Glad you got into this, Steve!
I don't know who the A's are but I know Rita and this was one of her good poems

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Mark! The A's are way before your time, but classic 80s sound!
Totally Awesome!!! HAHA!! Havent said that in a long time! I have the sudden urge to grab a can of hairspray and get some big hair going...slip into my miniskirt, crop top and those little black flats I used to wear. Lol...now thats an image. Whoohoo.... hold on..I have to find my leg warmers.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane...I can almost smell "Loves Baby Soft" perfume mixed with the over powering scent of "Polo" cologne.... heehee....

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Lol! Now those are some images to take me back! It was funny to look at the crowd and imagine all .. read more
oh you brought me back..loved the 80's..always fun to see lived bands with good friends and especially when you know someone in the band.. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

It was fun, and nostalgic. Thanks, Sue!
i am liking this song....is this band your buddy is in...musically they sound a bit like A Flock of Seagulls...

i like the nostalgia of the poem---for me, it was the sixties groups...and that music along with late fifties defined me and my view of life...

i like the poem...would have liked it before everything changed..and like it now that it all has.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Jacob. The band - called The A's - they were along the lines of The Hooters (also from Phil.. read more
Ha, thanks for the memories, before babies and biopsies....sheesh life was much more simpler then. OMG that music, I want to tease my hair. ;-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

So much simpler... Still a few mullets in the crowd, though the band is a bit more subdued... ;)
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Nooo...not the dreaded mullet, say it isn't so. ;-)
Wow. Loving a band is something and knowing someone in the band personally that is a double treat...A wonderful write...:)...............

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

It's a lot of fun, for sure! Thanks, Sami!
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

Yep. You are welcome muchly...:)..................

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

461 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 17, 2014
Last Updated on February 17, 2014

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Scumbag Scumbag

A Poem by s y e