Aware

Aware

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

<>

"

Celebrity depression

makes headlines

and facebook is rife

with armchair therapists

 

While reports of the plague

that will reach our community~

and every other ~

causes panic, until

 

The next fad demon,

disease, discomfort, difficulty

is tweeted over cyberspace

insisting that we are aware…

 

Not to worry;

awareness lasts but a splash

in the grand scheme of Time…

 

Like a bucket of ice water

dumped on your head.

 

© 2014 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
Nothing against people who have done the "ice water challenge", but I can't help think this whole thing is a fad, and those same people who are dumping buckets of water on themselves today will next month be trying to remember what "ALS" stands for. The news and social media seems to need for us to be in a righteous tizzy all the time...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am torn on this subject.. being in the medical field, I see such suffering and diseases and disorders that never get the attention and funding for research and then I see one small act start a tidal wave of awareness and outpouring of assistance.. it is the craziest thing how one tiny thing or celebrity can spark a fire.. I can feel the emotion in this as well as the well written composition.. well done! awareness, in my opinion, is never a bad thing, but people can take things too far sometimes... :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your insights, April - I wholeheartedly agree with raising awareness. I just get frust.. read more
Not to worry;
awareness lasts but a splash
in the grand scheme of Time…

Like a bucket of ice water
dumped on your head.

WOOO … you go girl. Awesome satire:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Pryde!
There is no roar in the media like I find in your lines of wisdom.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for these words, Alfred.
I am right there with you, Rita. Forgive me for saying this, but I believe there are far more worthy causes than ALS, but because Facebook is the arena for these ice bucket challenges, suddenly it is in vogue to contribute to that charity. Do the people who are doing the challenge know what ALS is even NOW? I wonder. Still, it is helping the charity so it is not all bad. Lydi**



Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

For days, every other post on fb was someone dumping water on their heads... then, it was comments a.. read more
Hmmm...while I get where youre coming from on this. Things can get beat to death on the web. But lets not forget how truly devastating ALS is. To lose all ablity to care for oneself and yet still be fully aware of what youre going through. To lay there while your body slowly stops functioning... horrified that you cant communicate or have basic dignity anymore. It runs in families so many victims have watched another relative go through this horror and then be diagnosed themselves. Research dollars for this disease are imsignificant compared to what is put out for diseases that affect a larger segment of the population. Id wager that more was spent on discovering Viagara and such other drugs then was spent on ALS. You see its all about profit for companies...and things such as ALS and Alzhiemers research simply aren't profitable....since when did basic human dignity have a price tag on it. Over 8 million dollars was raised in one day as a result of this ice bucket challenge. Estimates put the total somewhere between 50 million and a 100 million before its all said and done. Even when people take the challenge they are still donating money. I know there was criticism early on that people weren't...that theyd rather dump ice on their heads then give a donation. Yes it may be a fad but better that it happened and money was raised then it never happening at all. I for one have seen people with ALS...theres videos of those who have it including Pete Frates who inspired the ice bucket challenge circulating on facebook and other places. I doubt anyone will ever forget what that looks like...if they have any true compassion. And maybe if we all "see" it for ourselves this will be more then another Hollywood fad.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

I fully understand what you are saying, Red - you are absolutely right. You also make an excellent p.. read more
redflutterby

9 Years Ago

Youre welcome Rita and pardon what may have sounded like a rant. Oh I saw plenty of ignorant posts o.. read more
Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

I think you have a good point about the warping of facts, and about how our own experiences lead us .. read more
I think it is something that will quickly be forgotten which is sad... I loved this poem Rita. You speak so openly and get your point across.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Noodle. :)
i so agree with you .. a local news caster was on the news doing it with a tiny bucket that had a glass and a half of water in it .. he made it look like he was shocked by cold but i didn't see one iota of ice .. then he challenged the whole crew of somebodies to do the same .. correct me if i am wrong .. but the best advice for me comes from the bible which says we should do things like that in secret ;) ... but i get it .. one becomes part of a bigger thing and raises more money ... and facebook and tweet and twit .. i so do not go there ... we think our opinions are way more important than they are ... its like talking to someone that only wants to hear their own voice ... i love your poem!!! i am always excited to see you have posted something ..
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, E. I have now been "challenged" by a few people to do this ridiculous thing, and.. read more
Honestly, the ice water challenge is stupid. It would be better to challenge people to donate money right? I mean what good does wasting water do. My state is in a drought, they can send it to us. We as a society don't want to face for serious issues so instead we make games out of them. Well said and thought provoking, thank you for sharing this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Ashira.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

758 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 18, 2014
Last Updated on August 18, 2014

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil