The Way It Is

The Way It Is

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

<>

"

A sick and sad society                           

bears deep, not-good-enough scars                  

running the Kardashian treadmill ~            

that’s just the way we are

 

While million-dollar-paycheck grins        

report the fluff and tragedies                      

time, a monster to be feared ~                 

that’s just the way it seems to be

 

Time wasted on petty comparisons              

keeping track of “hers” and “his”            

but none escape the final step ~              

that’s always been the way it is.

 

© 2014 Rita L. Sev


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

really enjoy the folksy language and wisdom .. i can hear it coming from my Great Grandmother down the ages to me ... not that you are aged my dear ;) i miss you ...but glad i found this one which i hadn't read ... nicely packaged ...closing is sobering and well worth considering in our daily doings .. love and joy Rita!
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Society has become to materialistic and humanity has become selfish, for the most part… we fixate on things that do not matter and neglect the things that should matter.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Absolutely true. It's quite frustrating... Thanks for reading, Dale!
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

9 Years Ago

You are very welcome Rita.
Nice poem and very true indeed!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Ash!
Sick and sad society....here here!

Its about time the world woke and read this piece daily for breakfast Rita.

Troy

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

So many would spit out the bitter truth... Thanks, Troy!
I would far rather spend an extra precious hour with my son than be 'famous for being famous.'

How vacuous it has all become, and as you so succinctly point out, none escape the final step.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Beccy!
True enough. I found myself wondering the fascination just today, actually. Why the heck do we care?

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

I guess because we are told that we have to... what a world... Thanks for reading, KL!
Your line about "running the Kardashian treadmill" really stuck with me. That line really drives home the idea that our society has created an endless conveyor belt of comparisons. As you so astutely point out, many are made to feel as if they are a step behind. I feel as though social media has sped up the setting on the treadmill as well.

The fourth line in your third stanza brings us back to a place of social equality, the point we all step off the exercise machine, and into the room next door.

I agree with TL about the bite and the tone of this piece. While its different from your normal style, you bring the same craftsmanship and attention to detail to the gym, giving your reader a workout in the process.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Christian, thank you so much for this thoughtful review. While I generally like to keep things light.. read more
Rita, I'm sorry it took me a whole year to reply to your very kind comments, but I enjoyed reading this very much. And I agree wholely we should not aspire to be like others.
Will

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

No worries, Will! Thanks for the read and comments! :)
this is a more serious one from you. Carries a good bite. Time wasted on petty comparisons. True words.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Sometimes I have to go the more serious route... It doesn't last long, though... :) Thanks, Tammy!
Time wasted on petty comparisons
keeping track of “hers” and “his”
but none escape the final step ~
that’s always been the way it is.

The media would have us see a way that is that keeps us lulled between inanity and fear … time we mae things a little more than what is … write one, you wonderful pen.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Yep... Lulled into a numb state... Thanks, Pryde

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

657 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 22, 2014
Last Updated on October 22, 2014

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil