Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray

Chapter Four

The next morning, I parked opposite from her house, willing her to come outside. Jen was pleased by it though, probably thinking I was here for her. No, I needed to see Esme.

It was past eight now, and Jen had come and gone telling me I'm wasting my time if not for her. I didn't pay mind to her. I waited. 

Half past eight now, and I'm still waiting. I contemplate going in and getting her myself but thankfully she beats me to it. 

Just before I attempt to close the car door behind me and approach, the door to her front door opens. I'm surprised to see her dressed in different pairs of converses, mixed matched drawn up socks, and a casual dress that didn't match much at all, what so ever. One sneaker blue with white stripes, the other plain black, she looked weirdly attractive. I couldn't keep my eyes off her.

I watched as Miss Fostis trailed after her, out the door. She called out to me. 

"Claude, morning. I haven't seen you here in a while. How's you mother?"

I reluctantly turned my gaze away from Esme. 

"Ma is fine. She says for you to stop by sometime to switch scone recipes or something." 

Miss Fostis nodded. 

"Tell her I will. And oh, are you here to pick up Esme for school? That is really kind of you, but it's late, aren't you missing school?" 

I lied and shook my head. 

"First period is my free period, so I'm good to pick up Esme anytime, if that's alright with you Miss F."

"Of course, of course." Miss F agreed. "I'm late for work anyway... Esme?" 

I turn to Esme and see that the tips of her ears are red as well as her cheeks. 

"Just lead me to the damn car." she scowled. 

Her mother laughed. 

"Now don't be like that, he's trying to help." 

Esme muttered something underneath her breath and let her mother lead her to me.

I slap myself mentally, understanding why opening the door for her upset her so much. I also slapped myself for not seeing the signs. 

I wonder why she didn't tell me in the first place. Instead she let me believe that she was...was... well, not blind. 

Esme's ever so soft hands gripped my arm tightly, almost painfully, as if to show off her displeasure of this. 

I smiled instead, and said a goodbye to Miss Fostis before leading her back to my car. 

In her ear, I whispered. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" 

"Why should I?" she whispered back harshly. 

I chuckled. 

"So that way I could stop you from walking into tree's." 

Esme clutched my arm harder. 

"Okay sorry, but I would have found out sooner or later, you know, whether you told me or not." 

Esme shook her head.

"No you wouldn't. I've been playing sight since I was seven. You wouldn't have guessed I was blind If I hadn't walked into that stupid tree. I wasn't thinking, plus, I thought you were gone." 

"Yet, here we are. I found out your dirty little secret." 

"Whatever." she said as I helped her slide into the passenger seat. "Just drive. I'm tired of hearing your voice." 

Not saying more, I too got in and started up the car. 

Not long though the silence begged me to speak up. 

"Whats up with the funky clothes?" 

Esme didn't answer. Instead she blatantly ignored me and stuck her nose out the window. 

"You dressed yourself this morning?"  I smirked. 

Under her shades, whether she could glare or not, I definitely felt it. She continued to ignore me.

"Fine!" I say exasperatedly. "Don't talk then." I glance at her quickly, a plan forming. "But I don't think you want others to find out about your little secret, do you?" 

That got her attention. 

"What are you talking about?" She asked me sternly. 

"Oh, I mean, since you played the sightful new girl throughout school yesterday, could it be you wanted to keep them oblivious like you did to me?" 

"What game are you playing at Claude?" She seethed. 

I reeled back. "Sheesh, you seemed much easy to talk to yesterday. What I'm getting at, is that I could stick around, you know help keep your secret in the bag."

We enter the schools parking lot and I park, cutting off the engine. 

"No!" She exits the car. "I don't need your help!" 

I come out to meet her. 

"Yes you do. First of all there is no way your going to go unnoticed with those shades on." Or being you in general. I thought. "Also those clothes. Sure it's weirdly sexy as hell but, those mixed up colors are going have people drawn to you like a magnet." 

"Well don't you know everything." She replies sarcastically. 

"Yes I do. And not to mention, how are you going to know where to go? You can't see right? You can't follow everyone voice, that's just stupid. You need a guide. I'll make it seem like I'm not helping you at all. I'll just make sure you don't bump into things and have you follow my voice, you know my voice right?" 

I run up in front of her, stopping her in her tracks as she attempted to walk away

"Come on." I begged "You got admit, the plan is full proof. We almost have the same schedule anyway, plus all the teachers already know so they could help. Think about it." 

Esme shaded face looked up at me. 

"Why? she asked. 

The question confused me. 

"Huh?" 

"Why?" she repeated. "Why do you want to do this for me?" 

I just stood there. 

Why did I? I asked myself. 

I look down at her again. 

"I... I guess I... just do. There's no reason." 

"No reason huh?" she mimicked. "Okay... but your plan is not full proof."

"What do you mean, It's perfect!" 

Esme shook her head. 

"No Claude, you can't, hang around me without telling people who and what I am to you." 

I give her a confused expression. 

"Then what am I supposed to do?"  

Esme walks around me. "Nothing." 

"Wait." I ran up to block her again.  

"What... what if... I was your boyfriend? That would work right?" 

Esme seemed shocked. 

"B-boyfriend?" she stuttered.

I nodded. 

"Pretend wise. We'll tell people that we're dating so it wouldn't be suspicious when I lead you by hand. Plus it would explain why I'm always around you at school. It's brilliant!" 

"It's ridiculous." she commented. 

"Nope, now what do you say. Isn't that full proof enough?" 

She didn't say anything. 

"Come on." I begged. "It'll be fun." 

"More like torture." she replied. 

She grabbed my arm.

"Fine. But don't you dare kiss me. Just you hands."  

I nodded excitedly. Like a puppy. 

"Yes ma'am." 

Esme starts walking again, but I stop her. 

"Wait, one more thing." 

I grab onto the brim of her shades. 

"These need to go." 

Esme nods and doesn't react when I slowly pull the shads from her eyes. 

I felt Esme flinch, when the small gasp escaped my mouth. Her eyes were grey, hazel. The balls of her eyes didn't move and I was surprised to now know what blindness looks like. Her eyes look absolutely lifeless. 

"Um, wow." I said

I was lost in them. 

"We...we could... work with this, yeah, um..." I draw my gaze away from her eyes and reach into my car window. Blindly, I pick up, my mom's old glasses, that she used to wear before she switched to contacts.

"Here put this on." I slid the glasses onto her face. The lens were thick enough to draw away attention from her lifeless pupils which was perfect. "There. Much better."

"You sure?" Esme asked softly, feeling the glasses on her face.

"Yeah. come on."  I tuck her under my arm. 

"I know what I'm doing." 



© 2015 Rockel Mansaray


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on July 9, 2015
Last Updated on July 9, 2015


Author

Rockel Mansaray
Rockel Mansaray

ewing, NJ



About
When I write a story, the moment I think of an idea, I write it down or in this case type it down. So I can't really guarantee when exactly I update my stories, but I can guarantee that I come up idea.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray


JERE JERE

A Book by Rockel Mansaray