Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray

Chapter Nine

More than a week has gone by and Esme has yet to leave the hospital. She was supposed to leave several days ago. But the doctor said something came up and needs to be monitored for a couple of more days. The time is agonizing, just waiting.

I've talked to Mrs. Fostis and she has assured me that Esme is not in any danger. That this sort of thing happens all the time during her monthly appointments. This only helped, "tiny."

I've gone to multiple times to visit Esme at the hospital and she always told me the same thing.

"I'm fine Claude, jeez. You're even more anxious then when my mom found out that I was blind."

I roll my eyes.

"Sure. Just be sure to get out here quickly 'cause I can't stand the people at school asking me where you've been or whether we've broken up yet. It's frustrating."

Esme would roll her eyes. 

"Glad to know you'd miss your girlfriend." she replied sardonically. 

"Yeah, bunches."

The kiss comes to mind just then, and I'm pretty sure the reason why she's no longer facing me anymore is because she had just thought the same. 

So far, by the way things are playing out, we are pretending that kiss never happened. I nor Esme mentioned it the day after, when I went to visit her as usual. 

"Anyway," she said changing the subject.  "The doctors say I'm almost done. They just need a few more tests, that's all." 

"Okay" I say. "That's all I needed to know." 

I shake my head. 

"Honestly, how I put up with you, only Ted knows." 

Esme just threw her head back and laughed not agreeing nor denying this statement. 

"Whatever Claudey." 

That name was really starting to stick. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week later, I was surprised by Esme's sudden appearance on my doorstep, just seconds away from leaving to go to school. 

Her black shades were what I recognize first. 

"Hey Claudey," she greets somewhat shyly. 

"Um... hey." I reply still shocked to see her standing on my porch, much less for me. "You're... here." 

She nods. "I am."

Closing the door behind me first, I grab her hand and gently pull her towards my car.

"It's about damn time." I say as I pull her into a quick hug. If she could see me right now, she'd see that I was beaming. "I though you were never getting out of that crappy hospital. It's like prison, except with cripple people." 

Esme slapped my shoulder at that. 

"Just shut up and escort me to school, boyfriend." she said grabbing my arm. 

It was almost crazy how much right then I wanted to kiss her. Just to gauge in her reaction, Taste her stubbornness, make her see, no... feel something. 

Like that'll happen, I tell myself and so I dismissed the urge. Grabbing a hold of her awaiting hand I lead her to my jeep and briskly open the door for her. She smiles a knowing smile and together we drive to school. 

In the building, like every other day, all eyes trailed after us. Some looked shocked that we were still together, some scowled while others just watched in curiosity. The eyes I caught though, staring from a corner was Austin. He pierced accusing eyes at us, seeming to mostly be directed at me. I smirked back for good measure while at the same time wanting to punch him in the face for whatever intentions he wanted to hold. 

"Claudey?" Esme's small voice whispered to me. 

I squeeze her hand harder to let her know I'm listening, all the while making sure Austin kept his eyes trained at me and not straying towards Esme. 

"I might need to stop by at the nurse first for a slight checkup, yeah?" 

Esme has my attention now that we turned the corner. 

"Yeah, sure." 

I study her as we continue to walk down the hall. 

She looked stunning, nothing like how she did when she was in the hospital. Other than the shades covering her eyes, she seemed perfectly fine. Her black silky hair bounced as she walked, lips, bright and full of sass, while she glowed under the schools florescent lights. 

That nagging desire for her once again arose and this time it was much harder to choke it down again. 

I had to force myself to look away from her before I did something stupid and ruin everything. 

 I kept to conversation going instead.

"So, what's with the shades anyway? Doctors orders?" 

She nodded.

"I wont be able to take them off for a while."

"That's fine." I tell her.

She smiles.

Then instantly I wrap an arm around her protectively as a heard of my own admirers turned the corner. They were headed directly towards us, with determined faces. 

It was obvious that trouble was brewing. Even a blind Esme knew it.

"What's going on now?" she asked bewildered.

"Just the regular posse." I tell her casually.

Having to being so used to me and my environment by now, Esme sinks into me calmly, and awaits the storm.

"Let's make this quick okay?"

I nod just before Ann approached.

"Hmm... I thought you little girlfriend was dead? Doesn't she have cancer?"

"What?"



© 2015 Rockel Mansaray


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on July 9, 2015
Last Updated on July 9, 2015


Author

Rockel Mansaray
Rockel Mansaray

ewing, NJ



About
When I write a story, the moment I think of an idea, I write it down or in this case type it down. So I can't really guarantee when exactly I update my stories, but I can guarantee that I come up idea.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray


JERE JERE

A Book by Rockel Mansaray