Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray

Chapter Eight

"Have you seen, Esme? A girl with thick glasses and mix matched clothes? Black hair?" 

Around the corner, I watch as Austin asks multiple people about where Esme's whereabouts are. This infuriates me to know end, especially when the damn guy could just come straight to me and ask. He's probably just being smart though because if he did come up to me, I would've kick his a*s. 

"Hey Austin." I greet him hostile, catching him off guard. "What's up?" 

Austin looks me straight in the eye. 

"Nothing, you?" 

I shake my head. 

"Nah, I'm just waiting for Esme. She's taking forever." I gauge in Austin's reaction. 

"Esme huh? Speaking of which... where is she?" Austins starts laughing nervously. "I mean, she's usually clinging onto you so..." 

"She's somewhere..." I say, purposely not giving him a straight answer. 

I start to walk away just then but then he stops me. 

"Wait um... " He stares off blankly. 

"What?" 

Austin looks at me confusingly. 

"Never mind, it's nothing dude." 

He lets go of my arm and walks away. 

When he's walked out of ear shot, I mutter to myself.

"That guy better stay away from Esme." 

Hours later, I enter North Bridges Hospital, and head straight for the elevator. Esme's expecting me to come with still warm takeout, so I fumbled with the takeout bag, the choice books she told me to bring from her place and a single rose, which is originally from me. 

It took 10 minutes to locate her room number and and extra 5 minutes when I got lost somewhere on the fifth floor. 

"I'm here!" I call, as I burst into her room. 

Esme crossed her arms and shook her head at my arupt entrance, but she smiled as I approach. 

"Is it still warm?" she asked, sitting up in bed. 

"It better be, if not, I'll eat it instead."  

"Ha, right, put 'em here." 

She indicates for me to drop the items onto her lap. I hand her the takeout bag and dump her barrel of books on the side table. 

"So how was the checkup? Your eyes all good?" I ask as I sit beside her outstretched legs. 

"I don't know. I'm still blind if that's what your asking. The doctors really won't tell me anything. They never do." 

"You'll be fine." I say unconsciously rubbing her covered legs. 

She doesn't mind and starts to dig into the takeout bag. 

"Thanks for the food by the way. Hospital food is and has always been disgusting." 

"Yeah? It doesn't taste that different to me." 

Esme laughed. 

"Of course not. You guys would eat anything and think of it as good." 

"You know, I'd deny to that but right now I'm to tired to go against your word." I retort. 

"Then obey me." 

I smile. 

"Aren't I?" 

She nodded. 

"Good boyfriend."

I watch as she ate with an appetite that matched mine. 

Another one of her perks. 

"What are you staring at?" she rebukes defensively. 

I shake my head. 

"Nothing." 

Just then the doctor walked in holding a clipboard. He starts talking before looking up at us. 

"Apparently, your results are showing us they their might be a possible--" He looks up and realizes that there is only teenagers in this room and not an adult. 

He clears his throat and starts over again. 

"Um, Esmeralda Fostis right?" 

"Yeah." 

"I need to speak with you and your guardian, is she here?" 

"My mom just went home to pick up more supplies for me. She won't be long." 

"Okay sure. I'll come back to check on you momentarily." The doctor smiled falsely and walked out of the room. 

"Well, that was weird. What you think all that was about. 

Esme just went back to eating. 

"We'll find out eventually." 

After Esme finished eating, I tossed her trash away, while she grabbed one of her books. This left me   with nothing else to do or say besides what's bothering me. 

And obviously after minutes of me not saying anything, Esme caught on. 

"What happened at school today? Anything I missed that I haven't missed before?" 

"Nothing really." I answer blankly. 

Esme nodded and went back to reading. 

"But," I say not wanting the conversation to end. "Um..." 

Esme put down her book and reached out for me. I immediately grabbed her hand. 

"What is it?" she asked me. 

I shake my head. 

"Nothing, just... let's pretend were an actually couple for a second." 

"Couple?" 

A smile slowly forms on my face. 

"It's late. I gotta go, but before I do, I'd highly appreciate it if you would reward me with a goodbye kiss." 

Esme starts to pull away.

"In your dreams, Claudey." 

She starts to turn away. 

"I swear, the things that come out of you mouth half the time is so--"

I kiss her anyway, grabbing her chin, and savoring her lips. She tasted faintly of her recently eaten takeout and a hint of vanilla that matched her scent. She fet rigid as I clutched her shoulders. The kiss only lasted about 10 seconds, but it was enough for me to refuel my state of reasoning. All in all, I've been waiting to do this since I first started dating her... fake dating her.

Quickly I draw away. I don't even glance at her face before standing up and heading for the door. Just as I open the door, Esme's tiny voice called out. I forced myself to stop. 

"Claude?" 

I still don't face her, nor do I answer.

"Goodnight." 

I nod and walk out the door. 

"Goodnight Esme."



© 2015 Rockel Mansaray


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on July 9, 2015
Last Updated on July 9, 2015


Author

Rockel Mansaray
Rockel Mansaray

ewing, NJ



About
When I write a story, the moment I think of an idea, I write it down or in this case type it down. So I can't really guarantee when exactly I update my stories, but I can guarantee that I come up idea.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rockel Mansaray


JERE JERE

A Book by Rockel Mansaray