#3

#3

A Chapter by Samantha Young

Chapter 3

 

 

Rylie Reid nudged her horse into a fast gallop. She had seen the poor child fly off the horse and dive into the water, yet she never resurfaced. The only hope Rylie had now was that she wasn’t too late. She pulled on her horses reins hard and jumped off the horse.

She released a shrill whistle to alert her position to Rolf before diving into the river after the poor child. She swam out to the middle of the river, fighting hard against the current and dove down towards the bottom of the river. The blue dress of the child glistened in the water. Rylie swam down further and grasped the child’s arm. She pulled her to the surface and tried to swim to the bank, but the current was too strong. The English dress that Rylie wore, suggested by her brothers, was weighing her down more than she had thought. She spotted a log afloat in the water ahead, it was her only chance for survival. She swam with the current and grasped the log, pulling the girl on top of it.

The little girl was unconscious and the frigid cold had already turned her lips and fingers blue. Rylie needed to get her somewhere warm. She released another shrill whistle as Rolf appeared from the forest. The log shifted them towards the bank, just as Rolf stepped into the water.

“Take the girl, Rolf.” Rylie ordered. “I’m alright. But I fear for her.”

Rolf nodded his head and lifted the girl into his arms. Rylie stepped out of the water, shivering from head to toe but not faltering in any way.

“Let us hope that Lord Lancaster is not cruel.” Rylie whistled for her horse.

She climbed on top the saddle and opened her arms for the girl.

“Hand me to her.” she ordered. “I can ride faster because I’m lighter.”

Rolf nodded and slipped the girl into Rylie’s arms.

“I’ll be right behind you, my lady.” Rolf informed her as he slapped the back of her horse.

Rylie gripped the reins tightly with one hand while holding the girl against her chest with the other hand. She raced towards the Lancaster estate with great haste. She used the forest as her path and made it into the village with no problems. She raced up to the castle and stopped the horse in middle of the bailey.

“Help! Someone help!” she called out to the people who stared at her in awe.

A young boy came up to her slowly.

“What’s the matter, madam?” he asked.

“This girl almost drowned.” She pulled her cloak off the girls head. “She needs warmth!”

“Lady Georgiana!” the boy gasped. “Call Lord Garth!”

He pulled the little girl out of Rylie’s hand and ran into the hall with her. Rylie climbed off her horse and followed him. She rescued the girl and she intended on seeing to it that she was going to be alright.

The boy looked as if he was unsure of how to deal with a sickly child. Rylie shook her head and pushed him aside.

“I need to get to her chamber. Where is it?” Rylie asked, assuming that the girl lived here since they all knew and cared for her.

“Yes, this way.” The boy said as he led her up to Georgiana’s chamber.

“Please leave while I undress her.” Rylie ordered.

The boy nodded and left quickly. Rylie pulled off the girl’s wet clothes and wrapped her in warm clothes before placing her in her bed and covering her with blankets. She sighed in relief as the girl began to breathe more regularly and the bluish color in her lips began to fade. Rylie walked over to the girl’s dressing table and picked up the warm towel that was laid across the chair. She quickly returned to the girl’s bed and began to dry her hair with the towel.

The girl slowly began to stop shaking as Rylie dried the remaining wet strands of her hair. A man suddenly burst through the door and ran over to the girl’s bed.

“Georgi!” he cried as he began to stroke her face gently.

Rylie stood up and stepped away from the bed, giving him his privacy with the girl.

“How did this happen!” he bellowed out.

“She flew off her horse and fell into the river.” Rylie explained.

The man looked up at her startled. He ran his eyes from her fiery red her, to her well endowed body. Rylie didn’t like how he was staring at her. She folded her arms quickly and began to shiver, finally realizing how cold she really was.

“Who are you?” Garth stood up and walked over to her.

“Lady Rylie Reid, of the Reid Clan in Scotland. Are you Logan?” she asked.

“No, I’m his older brother, Garth.” He smirked at her as he kept walking towards her. “Thank you for saving my sister.”

“It was my duty to help others.” Rylie whispered as she stepped back more.

“Why are you walking away from me?” Garth took another step towards her.

“Because it is improper for you to be so close to me.” she stepped back again and hit her back against the wall.

“Are you scared?” he asked, closing in the space between them.

Rylie’s face revealed anger as she clenched her fists, punched his face hard. She brought her knees up to his groin and pushed him to the ground as he doubled over. She kicked his face again, making up go limp.

“You should be scared of me.” Rylie whispered. “Not the other way of around. Puny English.”

She walked over to the bed and sat next to the girl. Georgiana stirred a bit and opened her eyes slowly. She looked up at Rylie and smiled.

“Am I in heaven?” she choked out.

“No, dear.” Rylie brushed her hair away from the girl’s face slightly. “You’re in your bed, recovering from the drowning incident.

“Did you save me?” she asked.

“Yes, my knight and I saved you.” Rylie whispered.

“Who are you?” Georgiana’s eyes sparkled with interest.

“My name is Lady Rylie Reid.” Rylie replied gently.

“You’re the lady Logan’s marrying?” Georgiana smiled happily and tried to sit up.

“Not yet, you’re still weak. I’ll give it another few hours.” Rylie smiled at her and stood up.

“You’re perfect . . .” Georgiana whispered as she closed her eyes. “For Logan . . . at least.”

Rylie watched her fall asleep before stepping out the room into the hallway. She walked down the steps to the hall and found Rolf standing by the balcony.

“Rolf, go into the young lady’s room.” Rylie said as she walked over to him. “Lord Garth Lancaster is unconscious on the floor. Please put him in his room.”

Rolf nodded and walked away quickly. Rylie looked down at her soaked dress and sighed to herself.

“My lady?” a woman behind her called.

“Yes?” Rylie turned to her.

“I’m Miss Facet.” The cook said. “I can show you to your room. We’ve already brought all your bags up to it.”

“Thank you, Miss Facet.” Rylie followed her to the east wing and into a large bedchamber with a canopy bed in the middle.

“Thank you, Lady Reid, for saving our little Georgiana.” Miss Facet said before bowing and leaving the room.

Rylie sighed, and quickly pulled off her clothes. She browsed through her bags and pulled out a simple light green gown and slipped it on. She sat by the dressing table and slowly began to comb her hair. She didn’t bother to leave it tied up like before, instead, she allowed it to naturally fall down her back. Once she was dressed and ready to meet Lord Logan, she left the room and walked towards the hall.

“Are you Lady Rylie Reid?” a male voice asked from behind.

Rylie spun around and stared at the man before her. She lost her train of thought as she took in his appearance. He was just as tall as her brother, Kane, but his hair was pure black and straight. It hung down in front of his face, slightly covering his eyes. He was muscular and stood with an authoritative pose. She ran her eyes down his body and back up until she stopped at his eyes. They were as blue as the ocean that surrounded her clan. She couldn’t pull her eyes away from him.

Logan couldn’t stop staring at her. He had never seen someone as beautiful as her before. He knew then that all the rumors about the Scottish women were false.

“Yes . . .” Rylie cleared her throat. “I’m Lady Reid.”

Logan watched the sultry way her mouth moved before her realized she had spoken. “I’m sorry, but can you repeat that?”

“I said, I’m Lady Ried.”

“Ah.” Logan smiled at her. “I’m Lord Logan Lancaster.”

“Oh.” Rylie looked down nervously. “You’re the one.”

“Yes,” Logan cleared his throat and outstretched his hand. “It’s time for the midday meal. Would you care to join me? I would love to hear about my sister’s rescue.”

“Gladly.” She smiled warmly at him, making him lost for words again as she took his hand and entered the hall.

Rolf had returned by then and was standing by the balcony, waiting for Rylie to give him further instructions.

“Oh, Rolf.” She called him over. “This is Lord Logan Lancaster.”

Logan outstretched his hand to Rolf, who shook it willingly.

“Was that your brother?” Logan asked as he led her to the dining hall table.

“No, although I do consider him my brother.” she smiled, making him speechless again as she took a seat. “He’s my knight.”

“No wonder he didn’t join us.” Logan pulled up a chair next to hers. “Is this awkward for you?”

“I’ll admit, it is a little awkward. I do not like arranged marriages.” She said bluntly.

“Neither do I.” Logan poured some ale into a cup and took a sip. “I think though, that since we have some time before the ceremony, maybe we can get to know each other better. That way, the marriage won’t be too awkward.”

“I agree.” Rylie smiled again and took a sip of water.

“So, what is it like, in Scotland?” Logan took a bite of meat and stared at her jade eyes.

“We have a lot of cliffs and mountains.” Rylie began. “It’s always cold, some clans are at war with each other, and the ocean is always raging right outside our door.”

“Sounds horrible!” Logan said. “How could you live there?”

“Well,” Rylie tried to think of the best way to put it without offending him. “How can you live in a country that rains every day, with men who sleep with a different woman every night, and a King who forces his Lords and Ladies to do his bidding without even thinking about their own feelings?”

Logan stared at her in shock. Those were the exact reasons he hated England. All his thoughts and feelings he had about this marriage was quickly disintegrating. He was falling for her, but he couldn’t let it happen. He cleared his throat and turned his attention to his food.

“I’m sorry.” She said quickly. “I meant no offense.”

“Oh, I’m not offended.” Logan looked up at her to reassure her.

Rylie nodded and took a bite of bread. She wasn’t hungry, but still ate a little out of common courtesy. Logan watched her out of the corner of his eye. He smiled to himself as she picked at her food, deliberately forcing herself to eat it.

“If you were not hungry, you didn’t have to eat anything.” He said gently.

“It is rude to not eat when someone has offered you food.” Rylie recited.

“Is that an Scottish tradition?” he chuckled.

“It was my father’s tradition.” Rylie fought back the tears from her eyes as her mind drifted to her father.

“Ah, and he still forces you to follow his teachings?” Logan smiled and turned to her.

“From his grave, yes.” Rylie looked down at her skirts. “If you’ll excuse me, sir.”

She quickly got up and walked out of the hall. Logan stood up and stared after her, his mouth dropped open. He glanced across at Rolf and found him glaring towards the direction Rylie had run off to. Logan frowned and walked over to Rolf.

“When did her father pass away?” Logan asked.

“Last week.” Rolf answered. “She has not mourned as yet.”

Logan nodded his head and walked in the direction Rylie had taken. He found her in the garden, sitting on the one of the stone benches that concealed her from everyone. He slowly walked towards her but stopped as he heard her crying softly.

His heart slowly began to break. No sound had ever given up as much pain as the sound of her tears. He quickened his steps and sat down next to her.

“I’m terribly sorry, for mentioning your father.” Logan whispered as he slowly covered her hand with his.

“You did not know about the situation, my lord.” She choked out as she wiped her eyes.

“Please, call me Logan.” He whispered as he slowly wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

He slowly pulled her to lean against him. Rylie pressed her face against his chest and released a waterfall of tears that she had kept hidden within her since the morning of her father’s death. Logan wrapped both arms around her and rocked her back and forth gently. Rylie pulled away slowly and began to wipe her eyes.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered. “I never meant to cry that way, or . . . wet your shirt.”

“I can dry it, it’s alright.” Logan brushed a few strands of her hair out of her face. “You were close to your father?”

“Yes.” She nodded. “He was the best of men.”

Logan smiled at her and kissed her forehead.

“There is a ball tonight at the palace, do you care to go?” Logan hoped that the ball would distract her from thinking about her father.

“Oh,” Rylie straightened her back. “Yes, I would love to.”

“Good,” Logan stood up and offered her his hand.

Rylie took it willingly and followed him into the castle. He walked into the hall and stopped as he stared at Rolf. It then dawned on him that if Rolf was to follow Rylie, he would stand out since he was only wearing a plaid over his breeches.

“Rolf?” Logan signaled for him to come over. “Do you have any . . . formal clothing?”

Rolf looked at Rylie in utter confusion.

“I will find something appropriate for Rolf to wear.” Rylie smiled up at Rolf. “Follow me, Rolf. Lord Logan, we shall both be ready by nightfall.”

“Perfect.” Logan whispered to her as she pulled away from him and walked up the steps to her chamber.

Logan stared at the empty place Rylie had been in and sighed to himself. He had vowed to not think of this relationship as anything more than just a marriage for the King’s alliance, but now, he was starting to like her. Rylie was nothing like Victoria. She was more brave, and gentle. When she cried, it looked like real tears and not the few drops of water that Victoria usually released. Also, Rylie was by far, more beautiful than Victoria in every aspect.

“She is lovely, isn’t she?” Georgiana smiled as she stepped up to Logan. “I really like her. I owe her my life.”

“Yes, she is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.” Logan glanced at Georgiana. “Besides you, of course!”

Logan lifted his sister into the air and spun her around. He carried her up to her room and threw her onto the bed.

“You better get ready.” Logan grinned at her. “The King wants to see you, especially.”

“Why?” Georgiana sat up quickly.

“Probably to paint him a new portrait.” Logan kissed her head and walked out the room.

He walked past Rylie’s room on his way to his room. He stopped and listened to the door as he heard raised voices.

“You had better remember who are you, my lady.” Rolf said loudly. “And where you come from! Do not go playing the quiet girl for this English King. Do not let him treat you like he treats his other people. You do not belong to him!”

“Rolf!” Rylie’s voice was louder than Rolf’s. “I am my father’s child! I will not let anyone treat me like a child and order me about. I know what it is I am doing!”

“I hope so, Rylie.” Rolf lowered his voice slightly. “Your people love you and respect the decision your father made for you. Do not let them down.”

“I know.” Rylie said, almost in a whisper. “I would never dream of letting them down. I will protect them all with my life.”

“Nah, Rylie.” Rolf shook his head. “They will protect you.”

“Do you like him, Rolf?” Rylie’s mind drifted to Logan.

 “I cannot like a man until I see him do something worthy of my respect. All he has done so far is show how well mannerly he is, and that is not our way, you know that.” Rolf frowned.

“I do know that.” Rylie looked away. “But he is sweet . . . and kind . . . and gentle.”

“That is all good and dandy.” Rolf nodded. “But when it comes time to defend you in a physical fight, will his sweetness, kindness and gentleness help him?”

“Well, until he has to fight, we’ll just have to wait.” Rylie frowned because she knew Rolf spoke the truth. “Turn around, let’s try on this shirt. It’s supposed to be for Finn, but you’re his size.”

Logan pulled away from the door and folded his arms across his chest. What trouble could a beautiful woman like Rylie get into that would require him to reveal his four years of fighting on the battlefields? Logan shook his head and walked into his room. He quickly changed into his red doublet and breeches. He pulled on his black boots and shook his hair with his fingers. He walked out to his balcony and stared at the sunset. His mind began to wander to Rylie . . . in her room . . . changing.



© 2010 Samantha Young


Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on May 14, 2010
Last Updated on May 14, 2010


Author

Samantha Young
Samantha Young

Alexandria, VA



About
I'm a graduate from Marymount University, Arlington, VA. I have a BA in English Literature. I love to write fantasy fiction and romances. My main goal in life is to write as many single books and book.. more..

Writing