Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Samantha Young

Chapter 1

 

 

The mist covered her from head to toe as she stared out at the open sea below. No one would have noticed her jade colored eyes that glowed behind the mist, or her scarlet, curly hair that flew about her face from the wind. She looked out at the ocean and inhaled the salty scent in the air. Moments like these will hardly come to her now after what had just transpired. She closed her eyes and tried to remember the happier moments in her life.

She remembered riding through the forest, following a path which only her brothers and her knew about, that led to a hot spring. She remembered defying her mother’s rule of staying up late as she sneaked down to the kitchen to listen to the cook and servants gossip. That was the only way she found out any truthful information in her opinion. She remembered "

“My lady!” her most trusted guard, Rolf, called out to her as he rode up the cliff.

Only Rolf could see her, even though the mist concealed her. She pulled her eyes away from the ocean and turned to face Rolf, well knowing that she was giving up all her freedom with that turn.

“Yes Rolf?” she walked over to where Rolf had pulled his horse to a standstill.

“Laird McCain has arrived. He wishes to know and see the new Laird of the Reid Clan.”

“He doesn’t know that the new Laird is I?” she folded her arms and looked up at him.

“No, my lady. He does not know as yet.” Rolf’s eyes revealed his nervousness.

“I can tell something is amiss, Rolf. I can see it in your eyes. Tell me.” She touched his leg affectionately as she had done for many years.

“Well, my lady.” Rolf looked down at her, unsure of how she would take the news he had to tell her. “Laird McCain has brought some of his men with him. However, he has declared his challenge toward the new Laird. He wants to challenge you, my lady, though he does not know what you are.”

“Does he really challenge the new Laird? And Rolf, I told you, call me by my actual name.” she patted his horse gently and smiled up at him.

“Yes, he does challenge the new Laird, my " ” she gave him a warning look. “Rylie.”

Rylie frowned, placed two fingers into her mouth and released a shrill whistle that no human could hear. She smiled to herself as her pitch black stallion appeared from the mist and trotted quickly towards her. Rylie grabbed the horse’s reins and patted her gently while whispering calming words.

She gripped the top of the saddle and pulled herself onto the horse. She pulled the horse towards the direction of the castle and smiled warmly at Rolf.

“Rylie, what do you plan on doing?” Rolf gave her a questioning look.

“Accepting the challenge.” Rylie nudged her horse forward and raced towards the castle, leaving the mist and her freedom behind for good.

***

“This is an outrage!” Laird Eric McCain exclaimed as he slammed his fists down on the dining hall table. “Not even the servants would reveal who the new Laird is! Why is it such a secret?”

Connor Reid ran his fingers swiftly through his hair as he looked up to the ceiling. He prayed that Rolf had been quick in finding Rylie and bringing her back to the castle. He had had enough of Eric. It was time for him to leave. Connor looked up as a messenger ran into the hall with a piece or parchment in his hand. He bowed to Connor before handing him the parchment. Connor unrolled it and smiled to himself.

“What is that?” Laird McCain demanded.

“Not that it’s any of your business my lord, but it’s a letter from my brothers. They shall be here at nightfall for the ceremony of the new Laird of Clan Reid.” Connor rolled the letter and handed it to the messenger. “Tell my brothers that our sister would love it if they arrived earlier. That should give them cause to urge their horses faster.”

The messenger smiled, bowed again and ran out of the hall as another young boy ran in.

“Lord Connor!” he yelled as he ran up to Connor.

“Marcus, relax.” Connor stood up and walked over to the boy, placing a hand on his shoulder. “There is no need to yell my name like that.”

“I beg your pardon, sir.” Marcus bowed slightly and gave Connor a sheepish grin. “She’s here.”

Connor patted him on the back and walked swiftly towards the front of the castle. He stood atop the steps and looked down at his sister as she handed the reins of her horse to the stable boy.

“I have to admit.” Lord Eric muttered as he walked over to stand next to Connor. “I might have hated your father with a passion, but he did do one thing I approve of, and that’s giving life to that beautiful angel who is your sister. I have no doubt that she will make a good wife for any man.”

Connor stared at his sister lovingly. She was the apple of his eye, as well as the eyes of her two older brothers. She was one of the most beautiful women in Scotland and her beauty made many of the men who made her acquaintance fumble for words a time or two. She was short and slim, with curvy hips and waist. Her hair was scarlet red, wavy, wild and she wore it out so much that it naturally cascaded to her waist. Her eyes were jade green and lit up every time anger stirred within her. She had a smile that could melt the hearts of the most evil men. She was also possessed with the rare gift of singing. Her voice was just as intoxicating as her slender and sultry walk.

Rylie looked up at Connor and smiled gently, a hint of sadness still resided in her eyes. She took a deep breath and ascended the steps to the castle. Connor outstretched his hand to her and she took it willingly.

“Tis a pleasure to meet you again, Lady Rylie.” Lord Eric bowed respectfully.

Rylie nodded, but paid him no more attention as she turned to Connor. Lord Eric did not like being dismissed like a peasant.

“Any news from Kane and Finn?” Rylie covered her brother’s hand with hers as they walked into the hall together.

“Yes.” Connor smiled down at her. “They shall be here by nightfall.”

“Very well, I shall go attend to some business in the village and take a rest before they arrive.” Rylie leaned up and kissed Connor on his cheek.

“My lady, but whatever business is in the village, that is for the new laird to see about, not a gentle lady, like yourself.” Lord Eric said with a smirk on his face.

Rylie closed her eyes and took a deep breath. It was time to tell this rude and evil Laird what he had been waiting for.

“Lord Eric,” she began as she slowly turned towards him. “It has come to my attention that you seek to challenge the new Laird of the Reid clan for a position of power over our clan, am I right?”

“Well, yes.” Lord Eric smirked evilly.

“I accept your challenge. When shall we begin?” she reached up slowly and pushed some of her hair out of her face.

“What?” Lord Eric stared at her startled. “What do you mean? You cannot be saying what I think you’re saying.”

“Very well.” Rylie sighed. “Since you are so incompetent as to understand what I have just hinted, I will make it perfectly blunt. I am the new Laird of the Reid clan. Now, while I give you time to soak that in and decide when, where and what the challenge will be, I have business to attend to in the village.”

She faced Connor again and smiled at him.

“Connor, by the time I return, can you please see to it that a tub of hot water will be waiting for me in my room?” she looked up at her brother pleadingly.

“Ah!” Connor snapped. “Must you look at me like that? You know I’ll do it!”

She smiled again, kissed his cheek and walked out the hall, towards the village, with Rolf trailing behind her.

“She cannot be the new Laird!” Lord Eric bellowed. “She’s a woman!”

“Aye, sir.” Connor grinned. “She is a woman, but it was father’s decision to make our sister the new Laird. Now sir, if you excuse me, I have some work that needs to be done. If you wish to spend the night and attend our father’s burial, one of our maids shall show you to a guest room.”

Connor smiled widely to himself as he turned on his heel and walked towards the kitchen area.

***

Rylie stepped out of the great hall and released the long sigh she had built up inside of her. She looked up at the sky and smiled to herself. It was overcast, and since it was early January, she knew that snow was going to fall. Her favorite type of weather.

“Your father would’ve been proud to see you stand up to that evil bas " I mean, that man.” Rolf said as he stepped up behind her.

“Thank you Rolf.” She gave him an affectionate look. “It was very hard not to falter, but I was successful. Now, let’s go see how Miss Kincaid is doing with her new baby.”

She walked down the short hill towards the village, basking in the frigid air happily. Rolf kept his eye open, as he always had, for any mischief that was nearby. Rylie smiled and waved at every villager as she walked past. They all knew her and they all loved her. No matter what, she knew she could count on them to protect and help her.

She turned towards the small hut where Miss Kincaid resided alone. Her husband had died in the small battle the Reid clan had with the McCain clan a few weeks before she went into labor. Rylie knocked on the door and walked into the sitting room. The scent of lavender surrounded her immediately.

“You just bathed the new baby, didn’t you, Eliza?” Rylie walked over to her friend and hugged her tightly.

“Yes, my lady.” Eliza hugged back affectionately. “How was meeting that god forbidden man?”

“He’s taller than I remembered.” Rylie admitted as she sat down next to Eliza and took the baby from the small cradle. “If he really wants to challenge me, then I’ll have to work extra hard to beat him.”

“You could always choose the challenge yourself. Make it archery! You’re the best at that!” Eliza smiled gently as Rylie rocked the new baby girl with all the natural love she had in her heart.

“My hope right now is for my brothers to return and challenge Lord Eric themselves.” Rylie smirked.

“Well then, we shall wait for your brothers.” Eliza got up and went to the kitchen to get some food for the baby.

Rylie, forgetting about her plan to take a rest and bath before her brothers arrived, spent the rest of the evening with Eliza, talking and concocting plans for Lord Eric. When she finally looked out the window, the sun was finally setting. She quickly said goodbye to Eliza with the hope of seeing her again soon and made her way to castle with great haste.

As she walked up the steps to the main hall, she heard the familiar voices of her brothers. She peaked into the hall to see three large men, conversing with each other. Each of them were different but similar at the same time.

Kane Reid was the oldest and most aggressive of the brothers. He was fawned over by all the women he came into contact with, and it was simply because of his appearance. He had bronze, wavy hair that he wore loosely with a few strands covering his eyes. He was very muscular like most of the knights in the clan, however, he held an air of authority around him wherever he went, which made him seem superior to others.

Finn Reid was the tallest brother and quietest brother of the three. He spent most of his time reading indoors, or training outdoors. However, whenever he was present to the public, he had to hide from every woman who threw herself at him raucously. Finn couldn’t help looking the way he looked, with his straight, rust colored hair that hung down in front of his face, covering his eyes. He was not as muscular as Kane, but he was lean.

Connor Reid, the youngest of all the Reid siblings, was the voice of reason among them. Connor held an air of calmness around him at all times, and he was the one who usually stopped all the arguments in the family with his use of intelligence and logic. Connor was strongly built, naturally, and spent most of his time on the training field with Kane. Connor was just as handsome as his other brothers, with his mahogany curly hair that looked like flames atop his head whenever he stepped into the sun.

All the Reid siblings looked different in height, hair color, physical size, and personal traits. However, they all had two particular things in common that allowed any stranger to know that the four siblings were related; they all had the same jade colored eyes like their mother, and they were all over protective of each other, like their father taught them to be.

Rylie stepped into the hall and stared at her brothers. Connor was the first to spot her and nudged to his other brothers. Kane turned around and gave her his famous grin that won him many women in his bed. Rylie rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at him. Kane smirked, walked over to her slowly at first before pouncing on her, wrapping his arms around her waist and throwing her into the air. She squealed as he caught her lightly in his arms and hugged her to himself.

“It’s been too long.” Finn said softly as he pulled her out of Kane’s grip and pinned her against his own chest.

“It’s just been a year.” Rylie muttered, hiding her true feeling. “How’s England?”

“Those English knights are puny girls.” Kane took her hand and led her towards the dining table. “They cannot fight and they run away when it rains.”

“Is that true?” Rylie looked up at Finn in disbelief.

Finn nodded his head, kissed her cheek and sat down opposite her. Connor pulled a chair next to Finn and joined them.

“Well then, why not teach these weak English how to really fight?” she suggested.

“There have been a few who are willing to learn from us.” Finn pointed out.

“Yes, yes.” Kane frowned. “But they’ll never be as good as we are.”

Rylie smiled and patted Kane’s forearm.

“I have bad news.” Rylie began.

“So do we.” Kane looked across at Finn who was now glaring at the maple wooden table.

“You go first.” Finn said, his voice was raised slightly.

“Well, unless Connor has already informed you, Laird McCain is here. He seeks to challenge me, as the new Laird of our clan.” Rylie watched the happy spark in Kane’s eyes disappear to complete anger.

“He dares to challenge my sister!?” Kane stood up angrily, knocking over his chair in the process.

“Kane, relax.” Connor shoot Kane a hard look, but it didn’t alter Kane’s mood.

Kane began pacing back and forth in the hall, lost in his own thought. His sister was more precious to him than anyone else. He knew that she could take on Laird McCain because he had trained her himself since she was three years old. Yet, the risk of losing her completely was still strong. He had already lost his father, he could not lose his sister as well.

“Kane,” Finn looked up from the table. “Maybe . . . our news can help with this problem.”

“What news?” Rylie looked intently at Finn.

“Well, before father passed away . . .” Finn began, ignoring the low growling noise from Kane’s throat. “He was discussing something with the English King.”

“Yes, the stupid English King wants to unite Scotland with England.” Kane rolled his eyes and sat on top of the table, folding his arms across his chest.

“Well, that can’t be so bad, can it?” Rylie said, thinking it over. “I think it may be good to be allies with England, it is a large country after all.”

“Your thinking may be why father made you our new Laird.” Connor smiled at her.

“But, what does joining forces with England have to do with Laird McCain.” She thought out loud. “He seeks to challenge me, now.”

“Well, the way father chose to become allies with England was by . . .” Finn looked at Kane, hoping he would finish for him.

Kane sighed and looked down at his sister sympathetically. “Father chose to send you to England to marry an English Lord.”

Rylie’s face showed no emotion as she took in the news. She had hoped to not get married until she was at least twenty two, and it was not going to be to an Englishman. Yet, it was her father’s wish that she do this, at the age of eighteen. If she married this Englishman, then she will have just dodged Laird McCain’s challenge. However, she knew, deep in her heart, that if she did marry the Englishman, the King of England would believe that the Englishman had control over her clan, not her. He would use that to his advantage. The only solution was to prove to this Englishman that he does not rule her or her people. He will be no more than a guest, and if he didn’t like her decision, she had no problem with letting him return to his own home in England. As for Laird McCain, she will have to carry out his challenge after she returned from England.

“I will marry this Englishman.” She stated as she looked across at Connor.

“Are you sure?” Finn narrowed his eyes at his baby sister.

“Yes.” She stood up slowly. “It will just be marriage. That is all. The King will have my alliance, however, this marriage does not mean that the Englishman will be our new Laird. That will never happen as long as I am alive.”

***

Laird Eric moved away from the pillar and left the hall as silently as he had walked in. He kept his thoughts to himself as he ascended the marble stone steps to his guest chamber. He slammed the door hard, making the young man on the settee jump slightly.

“My lord?” the man looked at him questioningly.

“I have a job for you.” Lord Eric grinned evilly, making the knight more nervous. “You’re not in love with anyone, right, Nathan?”

“No, my lord.” Nathan frowned a bit. “My father wishes me to marry soon, though.”

“Then you shall marry soon!” Lord Eric laughed evilly.



© 2010 Samantha Young


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on May 15, 2010
Last Updated on May 15, 2010


Author

Samantha Young
Samantha Young

Alexandria, VA



About
I'm a graduate from Marymount University, Arlington, VA. I have a BA in English Literature. I love to write fantasy fiction and romances. My main goal in life is to write as many single books and book.. more..

Writing