Chapter two

Chapter two

A Chapter by SimplyDisastrous

Chapter two:

 

It's not as if that was the only time her mother had interfered with her plans. It wasn't as if that was the first time she had tried to get through to her father. Ever since that day with her grandmother, she had begun right away on her plan to get her father to see her other than as his only daughter.

 

Veronica found a way spy on her father everywhere he went (bars, strip clubs, job meetings...). She studied what her mother wore, so that she knew what clothing turned her father on and on. She tried on jewelry from her mother's jewelry box, and wore her make-up around her father when she wasn't home.

 

It was all about daddy, and what he liked best. Nothing but. She would do whatever it took to get her father to notice her differently.

 

There were times when Mrs. Thatcher would catch her daughter in the act of whether it be spying on her father, taking things from her room without permission, or just trying to follow Mr. Thatcher around.

 

Mrs. Thatcher just didn't get it. Nor did the maids, the chef, or her parents secretaries. Why would Veronica be doing all these things? It's more than she did two months ago, when all she used to do was sit in her room, clutching a mysterious black book, and staring at the white of the walls.

 

She was getting disobedient now, they decided. Maybe it was puberty? Yes, that had to be it. You always changed when you were going through puberty. They knew from experience.

 

Only little did they know that that was not the case at all.

 

Around this time, Veronica was sitting in her parents room on their bed, writing in her little black book, murmuring to herself.

 

"...Strawberries? No, no, daddy loathes strawberries. Let's see, let's see what else..." She tapped her red crayon against her chin, deep in thought, trying to remember all the fruits that her father liked and hated. "Cranberries? Wait...no. Last month, he told mummy that the taste makes his face swell up like a--"

 

She heard footsteps and immediately stopped writing and hopped down from the bed. She stood before the bed, frozen like a statue, not knowing where she should go. If she went out the door, she would surely be spotted and questioned to no end. And who would want that?

 

The footsteps grew louder, closer, and she ran into the nearest closet she could find, leaving the door open a little ajar so she could see out.

 

She heard her father’s voice before she saw him and she smiled. Yes! She could finally get another chance to find out more about his likes and dislikes.

 

Mr. Thatcher was talking fast and low into his cell phone, his voice angry.

 

"I thought I told you hours ago to get me those movies! How long is it going to take you to get three measly movies?" He was saying, pacing back and forth in front of the closet. "It won’t take me long to fire you, Michael, if you can't do this one job for me".

 

Veronica stayed still, careful not to breathe too hard. It was so hot in the closet but she didn't mind. It was worth it, getting to eavesdrop on Daddy.

 

"What?" Mr. Thatcher sat on the bed and began kicking off his shoes and pulling his shirt over his head. "Michael, listen, if I don't get them your a*s is gonna be in it deep, I'm telling you".

 

Back in the closet, Veronica closed her eyes and pressed an ear to the door to hear better. Her father’s aftershave filled the room and she breathed it in deeply.

 

This, she thought, smiling. Is heaven.

 

But her moment quickly ended when the door was ripped open and she fell out into the open, light stinging at her eyes.

 

Above, Mr. Thatcher was staring down at her curiously.

 

"Jane," He said calmly. Unlike everyone else, her father called her by her middle name and that's what she liked the most about him--that he was bold enough to not call her by her first name, as everyone else did.

 

"Yes, Daddy?" She answered sweetly, beaming up at him.

 

"What on Earth were you doing in my closet?" He asked, eyebrow raised. 

 

"Nothing," Veronica answered dreamily. "Nothing at all".

 

"Muffin," Mr. Thatcher knelt down on the floor beside her. "You weren't...spying on me, were you, love?"

 

For a minute, she didn't hear him. She was too high on the fact that he had called her "love". When she came to she answered in that same dreamy voice, "Of course not. Who would do such a horrid thing? Not me".

 

"Well...okay," he said, looking rather uncomfortable. "Here, let me help you up".

 

Veronica took the hand that he offered and stood up. Shamelessly, she threw her arms around him and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

 

Still looking uncomfortable, Mr. Thatcher hugged her and returned the kiss, letting her go quickly.

 

"Just don't let your mother find out about this," He called after her as she was skipping out the door. "I wouldn't want you to get into too much trouble now".

 

And she did exactly as she was told. Just for him, she even made sure to be on her best behavior for Mrs. Thatcher. She wouldn't want Daddy to be upset with her.

 

Late at night in her bed with Cookie curled up at her feet, before her eyelids grew heavy and slid shut and images of Mr. Thatcher crept into her head, she wrote in her little black book:

 

I had a wonderful time with Daddy today. He kissed me and I almost died right then and there.

I love Daddy. And he loves me, I just know he does.



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

 

 

 



© 2010 SimplyDisastrous


Author's Note

SimplyDisastrous
Sorry I keep switching from "Veronica" to "Victoria". Her name is actually Veronica. I think I edited out all the Victoria's...but if I missed any just let me know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A powerful chapter. It was a intense chapter. This would be a good mystery movie. A twisted mind of a child could create a lot of chaos The detail was very good. I could feel the desire to be the only one in your words. A outstanding chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love your story I can't stop reading it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A powerful chapter. It was a intense chapter. This would be a good mystery movie. A twisted mind of a child could create a lot of chaos The detail was very good. I could feel the desire to be the only one in your words. A outstanding chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think this is a very twisted story, but I like it. You were definitely creative with thinking up this roller-coaster story line!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like your willingness to go where most writers won't, combined with genuinely good writing. The only errors I noticed were "turned her father on and on" and "opened a little ajar".

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It just keeps getting better and better! I love it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

im reading this and thinking WTF? but in a good way.This is awesome! ur an awesome writer!:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A child loves her daddy...in THAT kinda way. I don't know how to take this in. You're doing good writing this and all, but, WHAT inspired you to write this?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow. okay this chapter is really weird. but in a good way. especially the diary entry. i like how you use this different type of writing with a bloody ooze to it. haha i think grudges are the newest popular thing. usually a daughter loves her mother but in this scenario, she loves her dad and hates her mum. maybe describe more about the feelings and thought that are running though the fathers mind. when she gives him a quick peck and it makes him feel uncomfortable.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It almost feels...wrong to be reading such things. Usually the role is reversed with the father sickly after his own daughter. How does Veronica react to hearing her love, her father, angry on the phone? Try to expand on that. I like it; though, it still makes me feel queasy.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I still love this! My only real criticism is that you keep switching between Veronica and Victoria...but I understand, they're pretty easy to confuse.

Send me a read request for chapter 3 when the time comes!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

635 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 23, 2010
Last Updated on June 24, 2010


Author

SimplyDisastrous
SimplyDisastrous

Hartford, CT



About
Hey. I used to be on here alot when I was 15. Now, not so much. I'm 18 now and I'm not nearly as depressing as I used to be, but still depressing enough. Message me and feel free to read my old poems... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..