Chapter five

Chapter five

A Chapter by SimplyDisastrous

Chapter five:

Veronica was getting extremely uncomfortable. The other kids in her classroom were picking on her and the teacher, Mrs. Hawthorne wasn’t around.

 

Strangely enough, all the children seemed to know about Mrs. Jenkins dog, Fee Fee. They kept asking her questions. Questions she really didn't want to answer.

 

"So," Jennifer Auguston, a little girl about Veronica's age sneered, piercing her with her glowing green eyes. "Did you do it?"

 

Veronica felt a big lump in her throat and she struggled to swallow it. Everyone in the room was staring at her now, expecting an answer.

 

In fact, people were so interested in knowing her side of the story, that they didn't even let her answer, they just kept springing questions at her. Like, this one other kid, Steven O'Connor, who was rumored to be one of the smelliest kids in the entire third grade, pushed through the swarm of kids crowded around Veronica and yelled into her face, "Did you do it or not?" Upon wiping a bit of snot from his nose before it dripped onto his shirt.

 

"Tell us!" Screamed another, but Veronica couldn't see who it was. She felt as if the entire room was spinning.

 

"Come on," Jennifer Auguston cajoled. "You can tell me. I won’t tell anyone".

 

Veronica stared her down, uncertain of this. According to her, she and every other kid around her were evil, despite all the things they said. They were all Devil spawn and deserved nothing. Sticking by this theory, Veronica squared her shoulders, jutted out her chin, and said, "No".

 

Jennifer stared at her for a half second before exploding. "No?" She shrieked. "No? Is she..." She looked around in disbelief. "Are you kidding?"

 

Veronica kept her head held high and stood her ground. "I said no".

 

Before Jessica could wrap her fingers around Veronica's little neck, another kid with red hair, whose name Veronica didn't care to recall, said, "Did you kill him? If you did, how'd you do it?" The kid looked way to happy and hyper for her taste, so she just ignored him. That didn't stop the others from jumping at her with the same question.

 

"I heard he was poisoned," A chubby kid whispered with wide eyes. His classmates behind him oohed and aahed until someone else jumped in with, "Well, you know what I heard? I heard that Veronica poisoned him!"

 

Veronica felt heat creep up her neck as they all began to stare at her again, their eyes wide, and she suddenly felt angry. These people have no right! She thought. No right at all!

 

Out loud, she said politely, "No further questions or statements, please". It took all she had not to start screaming and going crazy on every single one of them.

 

She tried walking away from the big group but they all started following her. Looking around, she saw that Mrs. Hawthorne, the teacher, was nowhere in sight.

 

God d****t!

 

"Look," Veronica addressed her peers with as much authority in her voice that she could muster. "You have no reason to believe I did anything wrong, because you simply weren't there to see it. So, with this in mind, I'd say you all better back off".

 

The sea of third graders immediately quieted, murmuring amongst themselves. The only problem, Veronica noticed, was that Jennifer Auguston was staring straight at her, staring deep into her soul with those cat green eyes of hers.

 

"What?" Veronica spat through bared teeth, her fists clenched tight, and someone gasped. "What else do you want me to say? That I murdered that disgusting little ball of fur?"

 

The corners of Jennifer’s mouth curled up as she came closer. “Yes,” She said when she was standing no more than a few inches from Veronica, crossing her arms across her chest. “Exactly”. Leaning in closer, so that her breath was blowing across her cheeks, she added in a whisper, “Because you did”. All of which was accompanied with a smirk.

 

Veronica, too, crossed her arms. She knew how to play Jennifer’s way. “That,” she smiled sweetly. “You can’t prove”.

 

Her classmates were listening closely now, careful not to miss a single word spoken. Jennifer was quick to notice this and, crossly, she grabbed Veronica’s arm and stomped a long distance away from her nosy peers.

 

When she was sure they wouldn’t be able to hear their conversation, Jennifer grounded out, “If you think for one second that you’re going to get away with this then you really must be as ignorant as I thought you were”.  

 

Veronica laughed, an empty, humorless sound, cutting it short. “You roughly dragged me over here…and for what? To hear your little accusations and be bored to death?” She laughed again. “But yet, I’m the ignorant one”.

 

“Ha ha ha,” Jennifer said. “It won’t be so funny when I find out the truth. I know you did it”.

 

“Do you have any proof?”

 

“Well, no, but"”

 

“So, how are you gonna find out ‘the truth’?” Veronica put air quotes around the last two words. “And how are you so certain that I killed that little mutt?”

 

“Because…because...” Jennifer struggled for the right words. “Because I know you. You’re the most evilest person I know!”

 

“Why, thank you!” Veronica feigned sincerity. “But, just so you know, flattery won’t get you anywhere”.

 

“God, you’re such a…a…b***h!” Jenifer retorted. “I swear, you think you’re so better than everyone else when, clearly, you’re not!”

 

Veronica smiled sweetly, said, “Look, Jessica"”

 

“It’s Jennifer,” Jennifer corrected tartly.

 

Veronica gave her a look, before continuing. “I’m flattered that you think that of me. Really.” She touched Jennifer’s shoulder lightly. “But I don’t particularly enjoy speaking to ignorant little children such as yourself”. Veronica looked around, added, “It makes me look bad, you know? You understand, don’t you, Jessica?”

 

“Jennifer!” Jennifer screamed, and she saw her classmates on the other side of the room all look up at her. “And for your information, I am not a child!”

“If you say so…Jessie, is it?” Veronica grinned.

 

Jennifer was about to give it back to her, but Mrs. Hawthorne came over.

 

“Girls,” Mrs. Hawthorne droned. “What is going on between you two? I heard an awful lot of bickering”.

 

How could you hear us bickering? You weren’t even in the room! Veronica thought crossly.

 

The two girls exchanged a quick glance, and both said in unison, “Nothing”.

 

“Good,” Mrs. Hawthorne snapped. “Now, Jessica, why don’t you go on? I need to speak with Mrs. Thatcher here for a minute”.

 

Giving Veronica another pointed look, Jennifer stomped off, muttering under her breath, “It’s Jessica!”

 

When she was gone, Mrs. Hawthorne turned to Veronica with a very heated look on her face.

 

“Young lady,” She addressed her sternly and Veronica stood bone straight. “You haven’t been doing your homework lately. Can you explain to me why?”

 

Veronica didn’t answer. Instead, she just stared at the woman blankly, as if she were speaking a foreign language.

 

“Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talk about!” Her teacher hissed. “Answer me when I’m talking to you!”

 

But still, Veronica didn’t say a word.

 

“This is ridiculous!” The old woman stressed, her voice raised an octave. “That’s it, I’m giving you detention for being unresponsive and very disrespectful!”

 

Some kids would’ve whined, thrown a fit at this but Veronica, she just stared at her, a mannequin of silence. This angered Mrs. Hawthorne more than anything. Why wasn’t this child talking? Is she ill?

 

“No manners,” Mrs. Hawthorne tried once again to get something out of the girl. “Disrespectful. Your parents really haven’t done a very good job raising you, have they? Goodness!”

 

It worked. But not in the way Mrs. Hawthorne had wanted. Veronica still wasn’t saying a word, but she was thinking.

 

The nerve of her, talking about my daddy!

 

The way Veronica saw it, she only had one parent: Her daddy. Her mother wasn’t allowed to be in the picture, according to her rules. So, if you talked about her “parents”, you were really talking about Mr. Thatcher.

 

And, like Hell she would let that slide.

 

Enraged, Mrs. Hawthorne began on a different take of dialogue. She glared down at the little girl, stabbed a finger and said, “I’m big, you’re little. I’m smart, you’re dumb. I’m right you’re wrong, and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it! So, you had better start respecting me and answer me when I talk to you!”

 

Veronica’s wide eyes converted to a glare and her fists at her sides tightened into a ball. She imagined what the consequences would be if she physically attacked her teacher, how many days of suspension she would receive. Then she thought of how disappointed her father might be, and she immediately relaxed her pose. She had a better plan. But for right now, she knew she had to play like everything was alright.

 

“…I think I’m going to have to speak to the principal about you…” Mrs. Hawthorne babbled.

 

Veronica forced a sweet smile onto her face.

 

“…You’re parents really ought to start disciplining you more. It doesn’t seem like you have any discipline…”

 

Her smiled faltered but quickly came back when the third grade teacher looked at her.

 

“We’ll finish this conversation later,” Mrs. Hawthorne turned to go. “Understand?”

 

“Yes, Mrs. Hawthorne,” Veronica purred.

 

 Mrs. Hawthorne stared at her, her mouth open a centimeter, shocked, but immediately regained her composure. “Good…very well then…”

 

The smile on Veronica’s face disappeared as soon as she left and she began mapping out her plan in her head.

 

People can be such idiots.

 

***

After school, Veronica went home and quietly slipped in her room before she could be seen. She found the two bottles of hair product under her bed she had bought a few days ago.

 

Then, wearing her black choker, she returned to the school with the two bottles in hand. Once there, she said politely said hello to the lady at the front desk and slipped into the girls’ locker room in the empty gym.

 

She knew Mrs. Hawthorne took showers after school in there everyday after all her students had gone home. Fortunately for her, she wasn’t in there yet so she could get her dirty work done.

 

Working fast, she went into the shower stall her teacher always used and replaced the two hair shampoo bottles on the little shelf that was in there with the two hair product bottles she had. Then, when she heard her teacher coming, she hopped in one of the other stalls, drawing the curtain so she wouldn’t be spotted.

 

Mrs. Hawthorne started singing as she started on her shower and Veronica snickered quietly. She wasn’t the best singer in the world.

 

She waited, waited, waited, until finally she was done with her shower. Veronica listened closely, holding her breath. There was a pregnant pause and then what Veronica had wanted all along: There was a bloodcurdling scream and she pulled back the curtain a little to see a bald Mrs. Hawthorne run out of the bathroom, completely naked, shrieking, “My hair! My beautiful, long flowing hair!” Whilst pawing her smooth, shiny, head.

 

Laughing out loud, Veronica hopped out of the stall.

 

She’ll be too worried about her precious hair to bother me anymore.

 

 

 




© 2010 SimplyDisastrous


Author's Note

SimplyDisastrous
Chapter five is finally here! Sorry I took so long. Enjoy! [:

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really like where you are taking this..kids could be so challenging..
you never know what their limits are..or how they could turn into
i loved the play between veronica and whole lot of class
its a wonder how this kid could have the nerve to face a whole class
and the revenge at her teacher sending her bald..
its all amazing..i am still waiting for an epic event
even if small as to wait for the big epic right at the end
you have a nice style,i think specially as to how children could
behave,or rather misbehave
lovely write..

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like where you are taking this..kids could be so challenging..
you never know what their limits are..or how they could turn into
i loved the play between veronica and whole lot of class
its a wonder how this kid could have the nerve to face a whole class
and the revenge at her teacher sending her bald..
its all amazing..i am still waiting for an epic event
even if small as to wait for the big epic right at the end
you have a nice style,i think specially as to how children could
behave,or rather misbehave
lovely write..

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good ending to this chapter. Her desire for revenge is so strong. You set-up the chapter with great skill. A excellent chapter. Thank you for the story.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You are a great writer. You can drag me into your stories, poems, and chapters with such ease. Great Write!!! I hope this isn't the end!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

aother greatchapterddition nice job

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow this is AMAZING!! I love it soo much! I can't wait for chapter 6!! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well, this is truly an interesting story, and a character with a very nteresting personality, which makes for a very good book! I love it, keep it up! And wow, Veronica is sure a brat.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

W.O.W. What a brat. I don't know what else to say about her.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Another GREAT chapter!
Thank you for letting me know you put it up, I love reading this story.
Each chapter leaves me on the edge of my seat, you do an amazing job of capturing your audience.
Can't wait for the next one, and the rest of Veronicas antics =]

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh, Veronica. You little brat. xD
I've never read a character quite as interesting as her. I love how her clever little personality comes out more in this chapter. I also think it's pretty funny how she got her revenge on Mrs. Hawthorne; she's smart for a third grader.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

444 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 30, 2010
Last Updated on June 30, 2010


Author

SimplyDisastrous
SimplyDisastrous

Hartford, CT



About
Hey. I used to be on here alot when I was 15. Now, not so much. I'm 18 now and I'm not nearly as depressing as I used to be, but still depressing enough. Message me and feel free to read my old poems... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..