Media-influenced Appearence

Media-influenced Appearence

A Story by AchingAlexandra
"

This is an example essay for my English class.

"

     Appearance is really a simple thing. You dress the way you want because you think it looks good and yet I see these girls in the hallways at school dressed like clones.  One of the biggest influences on why girls care so much is because it is expected of us because of the girls on the television.

     They all have the same 3 shades of hair which are: dyed black, dyed brown, and dyed blond. Not only are the colours all exactly the same bottle shade, the style is always pin-straight, or has a slight wave to it. The cut is always the same as well. Actually, the colour is one of the few ways I can figure out which girl is which.

     Speaking of adding colour, the amount of make-up I see girls wearing is atrocious. If you can hit a girl in the face, have her not feel it, and have an explosion of powder, she is wearing too much make-up by my standards. According to television, however, it is not. Actually, since they continually promote girls looking like powdered clowns, they say it isn’t enough. Everyday girls walk around with a face on that isn’t their own, so they are always so self-conscious about taking it off in front of people. Frankly, six layers of make-up is five too many.

     So, as I walk through the school hallways, and I see the girls with their masks of make-up, and fake hair, I notice their clothing. That is, after I’m done gawking at the circus-folk in my school. Their clothes never match exactly, but they are all bought at the same places. Personally, I hate shopping at the same places as my friends, because my style is mine, but they are fine walking around, looking exactly the same as one another. Hollister and American eagle seem to be the two most popular stores, which I have no idea why. All of the clothing there looks exactly the same and all the clothing is a preposterous amount, but maybe that is why the clones love it.

     So here, we find ourselves looking at their accessories; always bulky, usually shiny, and usually very distracting. They buy them the same two places they buy everything else they own. Where they find the money to do go shopping for all these things, I have no idea, but they always have new things, and they always have that fake red smile as they show it to the other clones, who gape at it appreciatively. The accessory fanatics has gotten to the point where if I wear my tie, I get looked at funny. A tie on a girl can be quite charming, yet they look at me as if I committed the worst sin ever, which to them, I probably did.

     Here we are, at how they all act the same. No matter what happens, their reaction is always simultaneous. If something bad happens, they get the Charlie Brown “O” mouth, something good, they screech like owls, and something that makes the crowd of them mad, they guffaw the same way. Their hand gestures match, and their body language is easily read, and seen through.

     So clearly, the media has thrown itself out of control with its fixating people on what they must wear, how they must look, what hair colour they should have, and how they should act. All I have to say about it is be your own person, and stop dressing a certain way just because your friends do.

© 2010 AchingAlexandra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What an excellent and insightful piece of writing, Alex! All teenagers (and many adults) should read this analytical essay of how the modern media continues to influence our daily lives (in the context of clothing and appearance). Indeed, some famous people are also partly responsible for helping to promote this obsession with how we "look". Like all true Christians, I hate this superficial (and immoral) approach to life and values in society.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love it. I love the way you worded the makeup standards. You are definitely a bright person and you have a wonderful sense of humor.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great use of adjectives; you painted the scene for me nicely but didn't get me lost in the language.

I just have a couple of suggestions; Firstly, perhaps make the introduction a bit more introductory; the first paragraph hit me with the subject matter instead of easing me into it.

Also, in a few places you mention that the media has fostered this cloned look but
don't provide any specific examples of this. Perhaps if you gave an example such-and-such a celebrity wearing a certain accessory or piece of clothing, and then mentioned that every store began stocking similar items that everyone then began buying, you could add weight to your claim that the media is to blame, thus making your arguement more convincing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You create a strong social commentary here-- very impressive. The media is the way big companies make big money. We definately live inside a giant commerial or advertisement. With everything a person buys they become a walking billboard. When big companies see people wearing their stuff and accessories they see the color of money. People are paying to fit in. It's like buying a ticket to fit in. Only the tickets are very expensive. More expensive than money. The price is their personel freedom and individuality. Like I said impressive write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very very true I see this at my school too... it sucks... :) just be yourself and itll all work out :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What an excellent and insightful piece of writing, Alex! All teenagers (and many adults) should read this analytical essay of how the modern media continues to influence our daily lives (in the context of clothing and appearance). Indeed, some famous people are also partly responsible for helping to promote this obsession with how we "look". Like all true Christians, I hate this superficial (and immoral) approach to life and values in society.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very insightful writing. Good job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was...
I can't think of a word to describe it!
And any word I do come up with,
won't do it justice =] ♥♥

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Insightful, depthful and well written, a real eye opener, very lively expression
keep up the great work :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I agree completely with you. People should be who they are and not worry what other people think. All my friends are the complete oppisite style as me because i'm not afraid to be me. Well done. Great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

617 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 23, 2010
Last Updated on December 26, 2010
Tags: Appearance, media-influence, make-up, clothes, acting, hair

Author

AchingAlexandra
AchingAlexandra

Canada



About
I'm a really nice person, but I have a lot of issues. I love writing, it helps ebb the regular pain I have. First name: Courtney Middle Name: Alexandra I'm purely myself. I don't change to fit.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


IT IT

A Poem by UpComesDown