Through The Roof, I've Fallen Into The Bed I Made

Through The Roof, I've Fallen Into The Bed I Made

A Chapter by BodilessSoul
"

Alice returns "home"

"

        As Alice's parents and Kee filed out of the room to give him and her privacy, Devin caught a peculiar spark flare in Mr. Anderson's eyes.  His brown eyes seemed to peirce through Alice's as Devin made his way closer to her bed. He glanced back at her and noticed her stiff fist, clenching the blanket until her knuckles went white.  Devin swallowed as the door behind him made an audiable "click" and was closed.  He sat down in the chair Kee had vacated and examined Alice's state.  She continued to glare.

        "So, Alice, I'm guessing you don't know my name just yet," Devin trailed off as her hazel eyes continued to bore into his with hostility.

        "No, I guess they failed to mention my savior's name," Alice said, clenching her teeth almost as tightly as her fist.  Devin pursed his lips.  He sighed and extended an arm towards her, hoping to shake her hand.  Alice clenched her fist tighter, the white of her knuckles resembling the stark walls that surrounded them.  He slowly lowered his arm.

        "I'm Devin, but I'm guessing you don't really care."

        "You're right, I don't," she growled and then directed her glare to the blank wall beside her bed.  What the hell is her problem? Devin thought, frustrated.

        "Look, I was expecting maybe a thanks or some sort of gratitu-"

        "How'd you do it?" Alice interrupted, whipping her head around to face him again, some of her hair landing in her eyes.  Devin had a strange urge to brush it back but ignored it, instead he looked back at her with exasperation.

        "How'd I do what?"

        "How the f**k did you somehow 'save' me?"  She snapped, her eyes in slits.  "I made certain there was no way I wouldn't die.  How the hell did you manage to do it?"

        Devin leaned back in his chair, blown back by her hatred.  "Well, there was a guy who had a mattress on his car... he stopped to see what was going on so I grabbed it and put it under your shadow."

        Alice groaned and plopped down onto her pillows, pushing herself down till the pillows created a wall around her face.

        "Don't you regret doing it?  At all?" Devin asked out of pure curiousity.  Alice slowly looked over at him, as if trully seeing him, and her face fell with exhaustion.

        "Get the f**k out," she said, throwing the last of her venom into her voice before she slipped back into unconciousness. 

 

Two weeks had passed and finally, Alice was able to breathe in the springtime air that surrounded her.  She breathed it all in in deep, eager gulps as she hobbled around on her crutches.  Kee walked beside her, his hand hovering behind her to catch her if Alice lost her footing.  She was having a horrible time with the crutches and they sent pangs through her armpits.  The cushions on them were doing her no good as she put all her weight onto it and hopped around on one foot. 

        "I made sure to grab all your homework assignments, Alice," Kee said as he helped her into the backseat of their parents' sleek, black BMW.  Alice sighed and nodded, already having nightmares about the piles of papers she was going to have to make up.  She grimaced as her casted leg hit the floor of the car the wrong way.  She wiggled her way back into the seat, sighing as the leather comforted her.  Kee slid in on the other side of her and closed his door.  Alice stared in front of her, seeing her father's blonde hair through the spaces in his seat.   She grit her teeth together as he started up the car in silence.  Ever since the day she woke up, he'd been maddeningly silent.  Her mother on the other hand couldn't stop yapping away, complaining, and nagging the whole two weeks Alice was imprisoned. 

        "... And don't even think about slouching off in school because of your foolishness.  You're going to work your a*s off to get up your slipping grades.  How could you do this to your reputation?  Straight A student now turned suicidal.  Do you know how that looks?  To people?  Let alone your report card?"  Her mother went on.  Alice rolled her eyes and closed them, trying to tune it all out.

Soon enough, the car ride was over and she stood staring at her Alcatraz.  It was a two story brick colonial with white trimming and a single old oak standing in the alien green yard.  She looked at the rock pavement with seething hatred.  Her father glanced over his shoulder to Alice and followed her glaring eyes with amusement.  He strolled over to his daughter, who stood there unaware of his approach, and grabbed her crutches.  He put his hand on the small of her back to steady her as he gave the crutches over to Kee and lifted the stunned Alice into his arms. 

        Alice's eyes grew wide and she went rigid in her father's arms, a chill spreading throughout her body as he carried her over the threshold of the house.  He let her down by the couch and Kee, slightly confused by Alice's expression, dropped the crutches onto the couch. 

        "Thanks," Alice muttered as she struggled out of her stupor.  She grabbed her crutches, putting them under her, and maneuvered towards the stairs that lead up to her room.  Her mother popped her head into the hallway and glared at Alice's back.

        "Where do you think you're going?"  She snapped at Alice.  Alice froze by the staircase and looked over at her mother.

        "I was going to my room to do my homework."

        "No, you're going to sit down as we explain to you the consequences of your actions."  Her mother pursed her lips as Alice weighed her options. With a sigh, she hobbled back over to the living room and sat down on the couch opposite her parents.  Kee sat down beside her, his body almost as tense as her own.

        "You're grounded," her mother announced.

        "No phone," her father added.

        "No going out except for school..."

        "And no computer.  I don't need you finding other ways to kill yourself," her father continued with that irritatingly calm mask of his placed firmly on his face.  Alice slouched back into the couch, ignoring the complaints of her healing ribs and rubbed her eyes. 

        "Is that all?"  Alice muttered, resigned. 

        "That is all.  You are dismissed," her father said with a nod towards the hall.  Alice rolled her eyes.

        "Conrad... Deborah... Kee," she said in a mockingly polite tone as she left the room.  Alice sensed more than saw her father tense behind her and she bit her lip.  She could tell she was pushing it but she didn't care much anymore.  What else could he do to her that he hadn't already done?

 



© 2009 BodilessSoul


Author's Note

BodilessSoul
Is this story lagging so far? I don't really know what to do with it! -throws self over a cliff-

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

thought u said her savior had green eyes not brown


Posted 14 Years Ago


ahhh! L don't do that! it was good until she came home. but that's normality! you'll pick up the pace later.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 11, 2009
Last Updated on May 14, 2009


Author

BodilessSoul
BodilessSoul

LarlarLand, FL



About
Hello All! I am an aspired writer but I don't think I'm that great. I have many ideas but I have a lot to learn about techniques and all that jazz! I love literature and also acting. I love theatr.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Anger Anger

A Chapter by BodilessSoul