Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Shane Williams

Chapter 3:

In a busy part of hell where demons tread and bargains are made in the markets, now angels also walk through the markets through tourism and to help the businesses in the markets. Everything seems normal then a whistling sound can be heard, most of the demons and angels turn their heads in interest, some in annoyance. Even the ones at the stalls, the less intelligent creatures run away in a panic, hiding behind, the stalls or in cover of shadows. Then a shimmering light fills the market, blowing most of the flags or signs. Both Matius and Lemionas appear, the demons turn their attention to them, some of them insulted, deciding whether to start a fight or not. That is until they see Matius, ignoring the pair they continue selling their goods at the market, mumbling to themselves. Lemionas rises up rubbing his head, while Matius judges the scenery, recoudnising it. “The palace isn’t far from here”. Lemionas turns towards Matius, “Are you sure about this?” Lemionas demands. “Yes I think I should know where I live” Matius sarcastically replies. An angel then approaches Lemionas smiling. “Lemionas, Matius it’s good to see you again, how goes things on earth?” Lemionas turns towards the angel smiling, “Everything’s fine thank you. Tell me do you know if Ivan is in the throne room?” The angel turns towards the direction towards the palace, “yes he’s been in the throne room pretty much all day. You should be okay to see him though”  “Thank you for your time, alright Matius let’s move.”

They continue walking through the markets of hell; unknowingly some demons watch they pass by, whispering amongst themselves. Some of the smaller demons climb stealthy following them. Several angels give little smiles while some are deep in conversation to some of the residents. The scenery starts to change, entering tidier streets; most noticeable however are statues of Hell’s most famous warriors, Matius recognises a statue of his father, bowing down in respect. They soon arrive at the palace, red flags hang and guards remain stationed outside, the steps themselves have red carpet on in decoration. They both make their way up the steps, both humbled by this place. Looking at the flags flapping in the wind and the suits of armour placed purposely outside the building.
  A soldier clad in red suddenly approaches Matius, “ahh Matius it’s good to see you again, I trust you are here to see Ivan, am I correct?”  Matius looks to the soldier, “Yes we’re here to see him. It’s very urgent”. The soldier glances at Lemionas before turning towards the palace, “Yes he’s currently in the palace in the great hall, and you will meet him there”. Matius smiles shaking his hand, “Thank you...” They enter the great hall both enter the huge throne room, already scanning the area for Ivan.

On both sides of the huge hall guards remain keeping an eye out for trouble, up above them weapons hang above them, with shields dating since the start of the Royal Family. They also see people in robes walk casually along the two corridors that join the hall, several angels and soldiers are also walking, several angels new to the palace look around in fascination. In the hall many men are talking to each other. Matius moves through the crowd of people until they see Ivan. In the far left they see him talking to one of the guards. They approach him, passing people; Ivan hears footsteps towards him, turning to face the pair, surprised. He puts the guard on hold, heading over towards the pair.
 
Lemionas walks over first, looking at Ivan in the eye. “We might have a problem”, he utters in a serious tone. Ivan Immediately leans over, unimpressed. “What do you mean, problem?” Lemionas clears his throat nervously, “There may be danger.. It involves your brother and it involves a place called... the other world”, Hearing these words Ivan turns to Lemionas, in frustration. “What are you trying to tell me? That he remains alive?” Lemionas quickly answers, feeling Ivan’s anger, “No. No, no. We believe he remains alive in a different realm but that’s not the main problem. Matius claims to have seen something just like him”. “Matius raises his head, “On earth I’m being framed for murders which aren’t mine. Only recently; I was fighting someone just like me” Ivan closes his eyes in frustration, “So this person you speak of... I guess he’s from the other world right?” Ivan sighs, closing his eyes in utter disbelief.
  Acknowledging his answer, Ivan looks at Lemionas seriously, “Does this mean trouble is brewing?” Lemionas uncertain turns towards Matius, “Yes”, he replies, “and we need your help”. Ivan remains silent, looking down at the ground, thinking it over. “Just when I thought all our troubles were over, now this”. He then looks back up, looking at the faces of his comrades, giving a sigh. “Alright I’ll go”, he mutters unsure of his decision. “But Just don’t come running to me when you need help. You own me”, he hints slightly angered. Matius gives a encouraging smile, “Thank you”.

They all head down the hall, passing the statues once more. Lemionas turns towards Ivan, “You know this life force of Dervish’s we are sensing could be Dervish in the other world, it could be possible” Ivan looks at Lemionas, “This other world, what is it exactly?” Lemionas looks ahead, “It’s only been heard as a myth. It’s a world which mirrors our own, just like a coin. Both sides are completely different”. Ivan chuckles to himself, “you know I probably wouldn’t believe you, but all the things which have happened. I don’t have much of a choice”.


  They continue walking until a familiar voice is heard from behind. “Mmatius..Is it really you?” Matius recognises the voice, stopping in his tracks. The other two notice this, following his lead. Matius like an excited child turns around, his expression suddenly changes, “Mother?” He approaches her opening his arms, letting her fill them, emotions pour from both of them, happiness, joy, sadness, Matius speaks first, “Oh god! It’s so good to see you!” Tears roll down her mother’s eyes. “I haven’t seen you for soo long” She pats him on the back several times before letting her go. Her face completely changes, looking straight at her son. “I’m so happy your here, I knew you’d come back!”, giving a smile. Matius gives a smile before slowly turning away. His mother suddenly remembers something running over to Matius, “Before you go... there is something I need to give you... It’s your father’s”. Matius’s eyes widen with interest leaning close,“show me”.
  His mother leads him back through the market place in hell. “I remember the first time I took you along these alleys, the people used to be soo much nicer back then.” Matius catches a salesman look at his mother in a threatening way, Matius feels urged to fight him, but keeps his feelings in check. She turns towards Matius, “So how is earth, is it like they say?” Matius continues walking, “Everything’s different there, and different food, strange types of transport and fascinating buildings”. They continue walking until they reach home. She walks up to the door, grabbing the handle slowly pulling it open. She beckons him to go first inside. Matius lowers head, avoiding the door frame.
  He scans the room, noticing no changes what so ever, all the furniture are in the same place, even the pale brown carpet is still on the floor. Matius notices the food bowl and takes out a treat, putting it into his mouth. His mother walks across the room. “When your father was in the army he always used to collect things from his battle”, she explains, “It always made him feel part of history.” She then approaches a draw, opening it. Inside is a decorative white cloth, covering the contents of the draw in secret. She grabs the cloth, removing it aside. Underneath is a white sword. This grabs Matius’s attention, making several steps towards the sword transfixed upon it.

  The handle is made from marrow with several jewels decorating it; along the handle little carvings of wings and angels cover the handle. There are also intricate details of vines which spread up to the blade of the sword. The blade itself has symbols spread along the blade, in the angelic language of heaven. Interested into the blade Matius delicately reaches his hand down into the draw. With his hand closing his fingers around the handle, it feels comfortable, firm. He lifts the sword into the air, watching it. He also turns it over in his hand, looking for any faults or damage done, his mother watches nervously behind. Then turning his wrist he swings the sword, it hums in the air, he can’t believe how light it is, he looks once more along the blade in inspection. Satisfied he smiles in approval. He turns back to face his mother unsure what to say, “Why are you giving me this?” He questions thankfully. His mother gives a small smile, “because I think you’re meant to. You father is now dead, so anything of his belongs to you”. Matius gives a gentle nod, understanding full well. He embraces his mother, holding her close. He can hear her sobbing, feeling sorry for her, she’s still suffering from his disappearance he thinking.

With his mission on mind he breaks the hold, looking at her deep in her eyes before walking out. She hears the door slam behind him. Saddened she turns her attention to a photo of the whole family. Crying once more worried she will lose another member, fearing he will lose his life.

Both Ivan and Lemionas are waiting for Matius outside the royal palace, both waiting patiently. Ivan turns his head, seeing Matius approach. “So are you ready?” Ivan asks, slightly annoyed. Matius glances at Ivan, giving a nod unsurely. Lemionas turns towards Matius suggesting the fragmented glass. Matius reaches into his trouser pocket, lifting out the shard of fragmented glass, Ivan watches suspiciously, expecting it to transform into some creature    “So how exactly are we going to do this?” Ivan asks, spying the shard with upbeat interest. Lemionas nervously glances towards Ivan, “If I’m correct we should be able to use the signal as a beacon to take us to where Dervish rests”. Before Lemionas can use the shard, Matius bursts in, “We shouldn’t use it here”, he exclaims, “We don’t know what it might be like in that place. Here it’s peaceful and there is no war, if we try to use the shard now. For all we know we could be ambushed.” Ivan turns towards Matius, challenging his words. “So where do you think we should go?” Testing him. Matius looks down before coming up with a place. “Earth” Lemionas nods in agreement; he turns towards Ivan, waiting for an answer, all eyes on him. “Earth it is then”, he mutters, slightly disappointed. Matius gives a smile, ready to return to his second home. They all gather round and get teleported to earth.

In one of the alley’s paper and rubbish starts to move around of the coming wind, then they all appear, safe from the public’s eye. Ivan stares are his surroundings with his one eye. Lemionas looks around the alley, trying to find their bearings. “Alright we’re on earth, let’s just use the shard now?” ,Ivan utters. “I agree”, Matius admits, “The alley is the best place right now, seeing every policeman and every person is against me right now” Lemionas nods in agreement, “Then it’s agreed let’s go”

 



© 2013 Shane Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on August 16, 2013
Last Updated on August 16, 2013
Tags: Dark, Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Monster, Demon, Life, Power, Hell, Earth, Throne, King, Warrior, Son


Author

Shane Williams
Shane Williams

Wolverhampton, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
Dervish photoshop by ~Shane000 on deviantART I am a Illustrator, Photography, can write poems and I'm currently writting a fantasy/action/adventure story which had been influenced my lord of the ri.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Shane Williams