Chapter Two First Day

Chapter Two First Day

A Chapter by A.C. Wilson

Chapter Two

First Day

 

 

I’d always hated first days of anything, school, work, first day in a new house. If the phrase ‘first day’ was attached, I hated it. Today would be my first day in a new house, first day of school, first day at a new job, and first day in a new town. I got all four together.

I pulled on my favorite short, pleated denim skirt and an emerald green strapless top with matching ballet flats and an emerald hair barrette. I kept the makeup simple, a little bronze shadow, some liner and mascara with a touch of colored lip-gloss. I grabbed my book bag and was ready to head out the door.

“Aren’t you going to eat breakfast?” mom asked as I passed the kitchen.

“Already ate,” I answered, continuing down the hall.

“Can’t we talk?”

“Sorry, haven’t got time.” I walked out the front door, pulling it closed behind me. I almost felt guilty for rushing to get away from my mother as I got into my red mustang convertible but I couldn’t quite feel sorry about it. I didn’t want to fight with her today, especially right before my first day of school. I already had the feeling that this was going to be a long day.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

My first class of the day was also my least favorite. Math. I had always hated math, simply by virtue of the fact that it had nothing to do with writing. Now I had a feeling I was going to hate it even more because of the teacher. She obviously had a passion for the subject and disliked anyone who didn’t. And I didn’t, that would mean trouble.

“Class, this is Aly Donavan, our new student from New York,”

I heard people snickering and whispering as they stared at me. Perfect. One of those days. The stares and snickers infuriated me. Why should they pick on me? Did they know what I was? Who my father was? That could explain why they were laughing. They would find it hilarious that I had moved back to a town where my family used to have power in but had given it away.

I turned to walk to my seat only discover that the only available seat in the entire room was next to Mark Night. Perfect. I had to sit next the guy I had angered last night and who I hated. Hopefully I would only have one class with him.

“Hello,” he smirked.

“Good morning,” I answered curtly.

He chuckled. “Apparently someone holds a grudge,” he muttered.

I tried to ignore his comment. Apparently he wasn’t angry with me anymore.

“I apologize for yesterday evening,” he said pleasantly.

I shrugged.

“I over-reacted,”

“I’ll say,” I muttered.

“Ok... well, sorry anyway.” He shrugged and turned to face the teacher.

I looked pointedly away from him. He was the enemy. The one who had taken everything from my family and had the nerve to tell �" no, order �" me never to try and take it back. I would do as I pleased and no stupid, guy was going to stop me.

He glanced over at me several times throughout the class, always looking curious. I decided to confront him when we left the classroom.

“What are you so curious about? I demanded.

“You,” he answered. He didn’t even seem surprised that I’d noticed his curiosity.

“What about me?”

“You’re interesting, the first person I’ve ever met who had no idea they were a wolf, especially grand-daughter of the last alpha before my father took over.”

“Oh.”

He rolled his eyes. “Not very friendly, are you?”

“To you? No,” I answered coolly.

“Ok, what’s your next class?”

“Not with you, I hope.”

“I have English,” he volunteered.

Dang it! I continued to walk without answering him.

“I’ll take that as a yes, it is with me.”

“Take it however you want, but leave me alone in the meantime.”

“Can I ask you something?”

“You just did.”

“Something else.”

“Fine, but that doesn’t guarantee an answer.”

“Alright,” he sighed in exasperation. “Why do you hate me?”

“Can’t you guess?”

“I’ve apologized for that.”

“I don’t care.” He was right, I did hold a grudge.

“Fine.” He walked away.

I watched him go with a mixture of pleasure and exasperation. I was glad he was going, but annoyed that I had the next class with him too, and that he wasn’t easier to get along with.

Oh well, I’d just have to deal with him.

I looked around. Shoot. I was lost. I couldn’t figure out where I was supposed to go anymore. Ugh, I’m such an idiot! I should have noticed when Mark went a different direction than me. Now I was going to be late for class and he was going to laugh at me for it. I looked around, hoping someone would be around that I could ask. Nobody was. Apparently I was already late. I couldn’t get sent to the principles office on my first day! What kind of impression would that make?

“Lost?” a familiar voice asked. Perfect, him again.

“No,” I answered. That was stupid, I was obviously lost.

“Ok,” he shrugged. “I just thought I’d show you the way, if you wanted. You’re already late for class, if you were lost, that’d be understandable, but...”

“Fine!” I snapped. “I am lost. Laugh all you want.”

“Laugh?” He seemed genuinely confused.  “I just wanted to help.”

“Whatever, let’s just go.”

He led the way to the classroom in silence. He showed me to the last available seat, in the back of the room, before turning to go to his own seat.

“Thank you,” I said stiffly.

“You’re welcome,” he replied politely. He walked to his own seat at the front of the classroom.

Sadly, I was the first person the teacher called on and, because English was one of my best subjects, I knew the answer. Most of the others turned to look at me in irritation. Mark looked back at me too, but he didn’t look irritated. The look on his face was more... admiration?

Lunch was horrible. I couldn’t find an empty table in the whole cafeteria so I was just going to skip lunch. It didn’t matter that much.

“Hey, do you want to sit here?” a girl asked.

I glanced at her. She had straight dirty-blonde hair to her waist and blue/green eyes. I thought about just walking past, but my stomach objected.

“Sure,” I answered quietly. “I’m Aly.”

“Katrina,” she smiled. “So you’re the girl Mark is worried about trying to replace him as next alpha?”

This shocked me. “Worried about me trying to replace him? Why?”

“The arrangement between his father and yours was...”

“None of your business, Katrina,” Mark interrupted.

She glared at him. “Actually,” she said coldly. “It is my business. My father made the deal official between your father and hers.”

Good for her. I guess she wasn’t going to put up with him either.

“Right,” he muttered. “She doesn’t need to know, though.”

“She doesn’t already?”

I looked between them, confused.

“She only just found out she’s a wolf!” he hissed.

Katrina turned to me, shocked. “Seriously?”

He gave her a light smack on the back of the head.

“Ouch! Hey!” she objected.

“Don’t ask her that.”

I glared at him. “What is it with you and telling people what they are or are not allowed to do?” I demanded furiously. How could he get to me so easily? It was ridiculous!

“She’s got a temper,” Mark commented.

“Yeah, she does,” Katrina didn’t waste any time agreeing.

I waited for him to answer.

“I just don’t think this needs to be brought up right now,” he answered.

“Why not? Are you trying to decide what I’m allowed to know now? Since my mother isn’t making those decisions for me anymore.”

He glared at me.

I waited a long minute for him to answer.

“Well?” I asked after a lengthy pause.

“Fine,” he growled. “But not here, not now.”

I nodded. “When and where?”

He rolled his eyes at me. “Friday after school, under the old oak in back of the building.”

“Fine.” I got up and stalked away, too angry to even be hungry.

I heard him laughing as I left. Let him laugh, I didn’t care. I hated him.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

I couldn’t have been more upset when I got to work and discovered that, not only did Mark work there too, he was my boss! I suppressed a groan as I approached him.

“Nice to see you again,” I said coolly, grabbing a pad and pencil. I wasn’t thrilled about being a waitress, but it helped pay the bills my mother would never get around to paying.

“The pleasure is mine, I’m sure,” he replied. No argument there, it certainly wasn’t a pleasure to me.

I moved quickly out of there and started waiting on tables, sure that this was just the beginning of a long and busy night. Especially if I had to deal with Mark the whole time. He was sure to look for any excuse to get me in trouble. I was determined not to let him, I would be extra careful to do nothing wrong.

I rounded the corner, taking a tray of food to some of the customers and crashed into Mark, dumping two chilidogs and fries with ketchup down the front of his shirt.

“Sorry!” I exclaimed. Perfect.

He chuckled. “Accidents happen,” he answered. “No harm done.”

“Thanks,” I said. Maybe he wasn’t so bad after all.

I went back and got more chilidogs and headed to the tables. “Sorry about the delay,” I apologized to the customers. “I accidently dumped the first ones on the manager.”

They snickered.

“No problem,” the girl said.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

I was ridiculously angry when I got home and mom’s car wasn’t even there. We still had to finish unpacking! Where had she gone this time? I tried to unlock the front door only to find that my key didn’t fit the lock. Why did she change it? I was so mad I wanted to scream. Instead I pulled out my phone and called my mom.

“Hello?” mom asked on the third ring.

“Why did you change the locks?”

“Someone got in this morning, so, I changed the lock. Don’t you have the new key?”

“No, why would I?” Great, she thought she’d given it to me, that probably meant that she’d put it in my room and forgotten about it.

“I put it on your nightstand,” she answered.

“Perfect,” I muttered. I was right. “I left before you did.” Nice. I was going to have to wait for her to let me in.

“Oh, right,” she said.

“When will you be home?”

“Not till eight.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’ll just go to the library or something.” The library could be enjoyable, books galore.

“Alright,” she agreed. She hung up before I could say anything else.

I started walking toward the library, deciding not to drive, since it was only a few blocks from my house.

I skimmed through the books, looking for anything that caught my interest. Absolutely nothing. They had a lot of textbooks, but very little for someone who just wanted a good story. Not even one book on vampires, werewolves, witches/wizards, good mystery or anything else worth looking at. Anything good had probably been banned.

I turned to walk down another aisle and ran right smack into Mark. Again. I couldn’t seem to go anywhere without running into him.

“You’re always in my way, aren’t you?” I asked icily. I turned and started to walk away from him. “My apologies, I truly didn’t mean to be.” Mark said softly, following me.

I pretended not to notice him following me, why give him that satisfaction?

He grabbed my arm as I continued to walk. “Wait,” he said.

I turned and glared at him. “What. Do. You. Want?” I demanded angrily.

He frowned at me. “I merely wished to apologize again for my behavior yesterday, I overreacted and I was exceptionally rude.”

I frowned and bit my lip nervously. Why did he have to be so charming? “Fine,” I agreed. I turned and started to leave again, hoping he wouldn’t follow this time.

He was following me again. “I shouldn’t have yelled at you the way I did,” he insisted. “And I shouldn’t have butted into your conversation with Katrina at lunch.”

I looked at him, a soft smile painted on my lips. I blushed and looked quickly away.

He looked at me, confused. “What?”

I frowned and shook my head, glancing up at him through my lashes. “Nothing,” I answered.

“You’re lying,” he frowned. “What is it?”

I looked down, blushing again. “I just...” I paused, deciding to change what I was saying. “I just wanted to say... I forgive you.

“Thank you,” he said. “Do you mind if I ask you something?”

I looked at him, smiling slightly, and nodded. “Sure,” I answered.

“Did you really not know who you are before I told you?”

I shook my head. “No, I didn’t,” I replied, frowning.

“Your father never told you?” he asked curiously.

I shook my head. “No, he didn’t.

“Why not?” He looked very confused now. “Wouldn't he have told you your heritage? What you are? What you could become?”

“No, he didn’t. I never really knew him, he left when I was two.”

“I’m sorry,” he said sympathetically. “I didn’t realize...”

“No, that’s ok, you didn’t know.” I answered quickly.

He smiled sadly. “I know what it’s like to only have one parent.”

I looked at him in surprise. “I’m sorry for that.” I really was. Weirdly, I actually felt sympathy for him. I also felt something else, something different.

“It’s alright,” he shrugged. “I’m better off without her.”

I nodded and looked around nervously.

“Sorry,” he said apologetically. “You didn’t need to know that.”

“No,” I shook my head quickly. “That’s ok. I understand.”

“About the conversation I interrupted earlier...” he started awkwardly.

“That’s alright, I forgive you. You didn’t mean to be rude.”

He chuckled. “Actually, I did.”

I glared furiously at him. “You’re awful!” I stalked away.

He groaned and hurried after me. “I just didn’t want you to hear about that from Katrina,” he tried to explain. “It’s complicated and between our families, I would prefer to keep it that way.”

I turned around to look at him. “You’d like to keep it complicated?”

“No,” he groaned. “I meant I’d like to keep it between our families.

“Oh. It’s alright, then, I suppose,” I shrugged.

“You truly don’t know about the deal our fathers made?”

“No, I don’t. This is the first I’ve heard of it.”

“Hm, and your mother told you nothing?”

“No, she didn’t. She says she wanted to protect me from that life.”

“Then why would she have moved back here if she wanted to protect you from the life here?”

“I don’t know. She didn’t explain that.” I had to be at least as curious as he was on that subject.

He grimaced.

“What?” I asked.

“It would appear I have a lot to explain,” he sighed.

“Go ahead,” I encouraged. I was curious now, what could the deal have been?

“Ok,” he sighed “Our fathers made a deal when your father turned over the ruling of the Wolflords to mine.”

“Ok,” I nodded. “Go ahead.”

He hesitated for so long I wondered if he was going to say anything else.

“Well?” I prompted.

He looked down, but I was almost positive he was blushing. “Your father didn't want to rule, so he gave it to my father,” he explained. “He wanted to ensure, though, that you could take it if you wanted it. It was decided that when you and I have both turned eighteen we have to decide for ourselves who will rule or if we will rule together. If we cannot agree, we must fight for it.”

This information shocked me. He couldn’t really mean that, could he? We would have to fight? I’d never been much of a fighter. But that in and of itself shouldn’t be enough to make him blush. “There’s more, isn’t there?”

He nodded.

“Well, what is it?”

“In order to rule together, we would have to be...” He broke off, embarrassed.

I frowned. Why wouldn’t he say it? “What? We’d have to be what?”

He glanced up at me. “Mates in the Wolflords world, married in the humans world,” he answered softy. No wonder he hadn’t wanted to say it.

I stared at him in shock for a few seconds.

“O...o...ok,” I stammered. I looked quickly around. “I... gotta go...”

“Yeah, me too,” he agreed.  “See you around.”

“Yeah.” I turned and hurried from the library without looking back.

I listened as I ran. Was he following me? Was he going to insist on talking to me more? No. I decided. He’d seemed as anxious to get away as I was. Who could blame him? Or me? To think that we would ever have to… No. That could never happen, I wouldn’t let it. I shuddered at the thought.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

“Mom?” I called, running into the house. How could she have hidden this from me? Even after she knew I had discovered the truth of my lineage she hadn’t told me this. She should have told me, given me some idea of what I was up against.

“In the kitchen,” she answered.

I went quickly to the kitchen, struggling with myself about what to say to her.

She looked up as I entered. “Yes?” she asked.

“Mom, why didn’t you tell me about the deal dad made with Mark’s father?”

She dropped the plate she was holding on the floor, shattering it. “How did you find out about that?” she demanded.

“So you did know about it?”

“Of course, it was my idea.”

“Huh, Mark didn’t mention anything about it being your idea,” I commented. Was he keeping things from me too?

“He wouldn’t have known. Your father and his decided it would be best if my involvement in the decision were unknown. They didn’t want me to be mixed up in it.”

“Why wouldn’t you have told me about it, even after I had found out about the Wolflords?”

“You know what it’s called?”

“Yeah, and that they rule over all other packs, no matter who or where they are.”

“How do you know all of this?”

“Mark explained it all.” Since you didn’t. I finished mentally.

“How does he know it?”

“I would guess his parents actually let him in on the family secret,” I snapped.

“I told you before, I didn’t want this life for you, it’s not normal.”

“Fine. But why didn’t you explain any of this once you knew that I’d found out anyway?” This was the part that confused me.

She sighed. “I didn’t want to have to think about what the knowledge could do to you. What you might choose to do to get back the position of Alpha.”

“So you decided I couldn’t even know about it?”

She nodded. “I don’t want you to take it back. You don’t need it. It will only cause trouble and pain for you.”

“I want it,” I told her.

She gasped in shock. “How could you want something like that?”

“I want what’s mine.” It was true; I did want what was mine. I would never let him take it from me. Plus, I wanted to prove to everyone that I could do this. That I was capable.

“You can’t have it.”

“Why not?”

“You’re too young. You’re not allowed to,” she said quickly. I wondered if she really knew how right she was, I was too young to take it. Yet. I would be eighteen in a few weeks and then I could take it.

“I can take it in just three weeks,” I reminded her.

“No, you can’t,” she disagreed.

“Why?”

“I won’t let you.”

“You can’t stop me.”

“As long as you live here, I can.”

I shrugged. “Fine, then. I’ll begin making arrangements to leave as soon as I turn eighteen,” I said, unfazed by her attempts to hinder me..

“What?” She was shocked by my blunt statement and sudden decision.

“I want this, and if moving out is the only way to get it, then I will.”

“And if you can’t agree on which of you should rule?”

“I’ll fight him,” I shrugged.

“You want it that badly?”

“Yes, I believe I would make a good ruler, and I want what should be mine.”

“And if he’s willing to allow you to rule with him? What will you do then?”

That stopped me in my tracks. I hadn’t thought of that. What would I do? Would I fight him, or would I marry him?

“I don’t know,” I admitted. “I guess I should go get my homework done,” I said, anxious to change subjects.

She frowned but let it drop.

I went upstairs and sat down on my bed. I’d lied to my mom, I’d already finished my homework, I just needed to think. Would I be willing to marry Mark just to regain what should be mine anyway? Or would I fight him to the death for it? I didn’t know. I decided to make up my mind tomorrow, after a good nights rest.

I lay down and curled up under my black sheets and crimson comforter. Tomorrow had to go better than today had. I couldn’t be sure, so I would just have to hope.

I hit play on the CD player next to my bed and let the CD go, listening to my favorite gothic rock band as I drifted off to sleep.

 



© 2011 A.C. Wilson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on April 7, 2011
Last Updated on April 7, 2011


Author

A.C. Wilson
A.C. Wilson

About
Hey, I write historical fiction and supernatural genre's, I've loved to write my whole life, been working on it since I was about seven. They used to suck really badly, lolz, but it was a start. I.. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by A.C. Wilson