Chapter Fourteen Capture

Chapter Fourteen Capture

A Chapter by A.C. Wilson

Chapter Fourteen

Capture

 

 

Aly

 

I was terrified. Cassie had gone to see Michael yesterday and she still hadn’t come back. My panicky nature was kicking in full time today. Mark had disappeared and I hadn’t heard from him.

The pack was assembled in our meeting place, waiting for Mark and Cassie to show up so we could get out of here. I realized that, soon, we would have to leave, with or without Mark and Cassie.

I frowned, I was the only one left in charge now, it had to be me. I had somehow get all hundred and fifty supernaturals out of here safely. I was frightened by the thought. I had wanted to be the alpha, sure, but not like this. Not because of my boyfriends father had been killed. And definitely not to have to make all these decisions hat could mean life or death for so many people. I could only afford ten more minutes before we left.

Ten minutes later, I still had heard nothing from them. I sighed.

“Time to move out,” I sighed.

“What about Mark?” the woman we had spoken to earlier, Maria, asked.

“He left specific instructions, if he wasn’t back by now, we’re to leave immediately. He’s not here, we have to go. We can’t let Seyton catch us unaware again.”

Everyone nodded in agreement, though they seemed reluctant to leave without Mark.

“I wish it didn’t have to be this way.” There were tears in my eyes as I spoke.

“Are you sure?” Chris asked softly. “Can’t we wait just a little longer?”

I shook my head. “No. We have to go now.” I turned my attention to the entire group. “Please form orderly lines, children first, women second.” I spoke softly but with a surprising amount of authority in my voice.

I was startled when everyone jumped to obey me, within two minutes everyone was lined up exactly as I had asked.

“Ok,” I said, relieved that my voice wasn’t shaking as much as I would have thought. “Chris, Kat, ya’ll know the plan?”

“Yes,” Chris answered seriously.

I nodded. The plan was for Chris and Kat to run the others to Austin and to the various safe houses we had found for them to stay at. I would stay here as a diversion. As long as I remained here, the humans and, more importantly, Seyton would think all of the supernaturals were still here. I knew the chances of my being killed were high, but that didn’t matter. If I died, I died to save the people whose lives I was now responsible for.

I closed my eyes and prayed silently for protection and safety for myself and all those I cared about. Mark and Cassie in particular. And I prayed that Michael hadn’t turned as evil as it seemed at the present moment. That he might still be able to be saved somehow. I didn’t know what to do anymore. I had done everything Mark and I had agreed would be best, but I was scared. I didn’t think I could do this. I lacked the confidence Mark had always given me. I had always been independent and self confident but never much about leading the pack. Even when I was trying to take it from Mark I hadn’t really been as confident as I’d told him. Now I had to take the lives of a hundred and fifty people into my hands and somehow protect them. I shuddered at what could possibly happen to them if I failed.

I stood in the doorway to our meeting place watching as they all left, tears streaming silently down my face as I thought about how much I would miss them, especially Maria and her sweet little boy, Antonio.

“Why do we have go, mommy?” he’d asked curiously when Maria had told him she was taking him away. “Is daddy coming too?”

“No, sweetie, daddy isn’t coming with us right now. We’ll come back to him later, when it’s safe,” she’d answered. Antonio was only seven, but he was already an intelligent child. I supposed he’d have to be, living here. He’d have to know the dangers earlier than if he’d lived somewhere else.

“But what about miss Aly? Is she coming too?” Tears had filled my eyes as I heard his high, childlike voice ask that simple question.

“No, she’s staying here, too.”

“Why? I want her to come too,” he complained.

I knelt in front of him and looked him in the eye. “I can’t come with you right now, Antonio, I have to stay here and protect you daddy and everyone else who’s staying too. That’s my job.”

“What’s my job?” he asked innocently.

I smiled at him, realizing how important it was to him to have a job. “Your job is to take care of your mom and help Chris and Kat protect the others, ok? Do you think you can do that for me?”

“Yes, ma’am!” he answered solemnly. I couldn’t help smiling, he was so sweet and eager to help in any way he possibly could.

“Good, I’m counting on you. Bring them all back safely.”

“I will! No stinkin’ human’s are gonna get them. I promise.”

I turned my face away so he wouldn’t see how hard I was trying not to laugh at him. I turned back after a second, serious again. “Antonio, you’re not to be rude to or about humans anymore, alright?”

“Yes, ma’am,” he said, hanging his head in shame.

I patted his cheek lightly. “Good. Behave and make sure the others do too.”

“I will.”

I kissed the top of his head as I rose. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Goodbye!”

I had walked out of the room then, still smiling at his comment about ‘stinkin’ humans’.

I took a deep, steadying breath as the sweet memory abandoned me, leaving only the knowledge that Mark and Cassie hadn’t returned yet and that I may have just sent a hundred and fifty people to their deaths. It was only a fraction of the supernaturals in this town. Nearly the entire pack, there were only about ten werewolves still un-discovered aside from Mark and myself. 

I turned and walked into the small bedroom Mark and I took turns using whenever we had to stay in the hiding place. Closing the door and locking it behind me I lay down on the bed and wept silently for a time.

There was a light tap on the door that made me jump. I sat up, wiping the tears from my eyes and trying to get a hold of myself.

“Come in,” I called.

The door opened and Mark strode casually in.

“Mark!” I cried, rushing to him and throwing my arms around his neck.

“Hello, sweetheart,” he smiled, wrapping his warm, strong arms around me, pulling me tightly into his chest.

I buried my face into his chest and just inhaled his scent. Fresh pine trees in winter. It was soothing as was being in his arms again. “I was afraid I’d lost you,” I murmured into his chest.

He pressed his lips lightly to the top of my head. “I know, darling, I know. I’m so sorry, I was nearly caught and I had to hide out in the woods for a bit, I couldn’t call or I’d be caught for sure.”

I nodded, glad he couldn’t see the horror in my eyes when he even mentioned that he might have been caught. Though it was never spoken between us, we both knew that capture would mean instant death for any supernatural, particularly any who’d escaped. We had  discussed it, of course, when we’d been deciding our best course of action for those in our care.

“My beautiful Aly,” he sighed. “So brave, so caring.”

“I’m not brave,” I disagreed.

“And why not?” he asked gently.

“I almost couldn’t  handle today. I nearly lost it as they were leaving. What if I’d been sending them to their deaths? It would be my fault. They would have been dead because of me. I would have killed them,” I answered, the panic as clear in my voice as I was sure it must have been in my eyes.

“You did very well, Aly. You managed to avoid total breakdown until you were alone.”

“That’s not brave,” I argued. “That’s a coward who puts on a brave face.”

He shook his head. “No, it’s not. You have no idea how many times I’ve done that myself, and until now I’ve never been in charge more than a few days at a time. Anytime my dad had to go out of town for anything he’d stay gone a couple of days and leave me in charge. I always panicked, I was forever having breakdowns in the privacy of my room.”

“But you’re over that, right?”

“For most things, yes, but for this? No, I’m not. I did this same thing the night we decided what would be best for the pack. My thoughts were nearly the exact same as yours are now. What if? We have to have faith that God will protect them and know that we did the best we could for them. We have to stay calm and continue on with our job, that’s why we stayed behind.”

I nodded in agreement. I knew he was right, but it was hard. I shook myself mentally, preparing to attempt what he’d suggested.

“Where’s Cassie?” he asked. “Did she go with the others?”

I shook my head. “She never came back. I was hoping she’d be with you.” The panic was returning.

He frowned. “No, I haven’t seen her.”

“We have to find her!”

He tightened his arms gently around me. “We will, she’ll be alright.”

 

 

Cassie

 

She knew they had to get back, Mark and Aly would be worried sick about her. She hadn’t shown up, nor had she called. She’d been so excited and wrapped up in Michael’s change from Darkness to Light that she’d forgotten. She wondered suddenly if Mark had ever returned. She knew as well as anyone else that the chances of him coming back were slim to none. she was horrified and saddened by this thought. Mark was such a good person, they couldn't lose him. Especially Aly, that would about kill her.

“Cassie,” Michael said suddenly.

“Yeah?”

“Have you told Aly and Mark about me yet?”

Shoot! “No, I haven’t. I haven’t talked to either of them since I left to meet you.”

“Shouldn’t you warn them?”

She frowned thoughtfully. Should she? They might kill Michael if she did, but they’d kill him for sure if she didn’t. She sighed, calling would be best.

“Hello?” Mark’s anxious voice came over the line.

“Is everything ok?” Cassie asked concernedly.

“Yes. Are you alright? Why didn’t you call?”

“I’m fine, I got distracted. I’m sorry.”

He growled into the phone. She’d angered him. She was in for it now. Mark was known for his temper. You never wanted to be the one it was directed at.

"You got distracted?" he demanded.

"Yeah."

"By?"

She knew she had to tell him what had happened, but she didn't want to go into detail over the phone. "I'll explain later," she said quickly, sure he would not accept that response. He wasn't known for settling for informationless answers.

"What distracted you?" he asked insistently.

"Michael," she answered hesitantly.

"Michael? Where are you? Is he there? Why in the world would you have gone to talk to him?"

"He asked me too," she shrugged.

"He could have killed you!"

"I know." She could almost see him rolling his eyes as she heard his exasperated sigh.

"Cassie, sometimes I think you couldn't do anything dumber, then you prove me wrong."

"Hey!" she cried indignantly. "I'm not usually that dumb. I couldn't help it, I..."

"You loved him, I know," Mark sighed. "It was incredibly stupid and dangerous, but I understand."

"He said he wanted to talk to me, that we had to end our conflict and I thought..."

"That he might have changed back to our side? Cassie, you know that isn't possible, no Phoenix can choose one side and then revert to the other, they die."

Cassie smiled, she was pleased that Michael hadn't died while becoming good. "I know, but he didn't die."

"Then he did revert sides?"                            

"Yeah, you should see his wings!" She frowned, she hadn't planned on telling him all of this over the phone, but he wouldn't stop asking questions.

"What about his wings?"

"They look so cool! Black and white!"

"Black and white? What happened to the red and orange?"

"Still there, the black and white was added to it!" Cassie was so excited it was difficult for Mark to understand her.

"They're still red and orange?"

"Yes!"

"But, you just said they're black and white."

She groaned. "Yes!"

"That doesn't make sense..."

"Ugh, ok, his wings are still red and orange, with white added. And the black didn't completely leave either."

"Is he coming back with you?" he asked in annoyance.

"Yes, he is. He's hoping you guys won't kill him... promise you won't?" She heard whispers on the other end of the line.

"I can promise we won't kill him unless he tries to hurt any of us," Mark answered after a moment.

Cassie looked at Michael. "They say they won't hurt you as long as you do't try to hurt any of them, how's that?" she asked.

Michael shrugged. "I suppose that's fine, since I have no intention of hurting anyone," he answered calmly.

Cassie nodded to Michael. “That’s fine,” she told Mark. “He won’t hurt anyone.”

“Can you guarantee that?” he asked cautiously.

Cassie hung her head. “No,” she answered sadly, wishing as she said them that these words weren’t true. “I can’t. He promised he won’t, but, of course, I have no guarantee.”

Michael smiled softly at Cassie, she was a sweet girl. Naïve but with a good heart. That combination, he knew, would come to serve and to harm her. “Cassie,” he whispered. “It’s fine, they simply want to be sure they’re safe. They’ll have no reason to harm me, as I’ll not harm them. Don’t argue with him about it. I would do the same, were I in his place and he in mine.”

Cassie frowned. She hated when Michael knew how the others felt and told her not to argue because he would do the same in their place. It was difficult to argue then.

“How long until you’re back?” Mark asked. “We need to make arrangements to get you out of here. Soon.”

“How soon?” she demanded.

“As soon as this mess with Michael has been sorted out.”

“I won’t go. I have to stay and help you and Aly,” Cassie argued.

“No.” Mark’s voice rang with finality. He wasn’t going to compromise. Cassie hated when he was like this, there was no reasoning with him in this state of mind. “You’re going to Austin, like all the others. No arguments.”

“But…”

“No.”

Cassie glared, she hated being cut off mid-sentence. “I want to help.”

“No.” He remained firm in his decision.

“Let me talk to her,” Aly pleaded. From her voice, Cassie judged Aly was right next to Mark.

“Aly, I…” Mark started.

“Please?” Cassie could hear the sweetly pleading note in Aly’s voice. She knew she’d soon be talking to Aly, Mark had never been able to resist that tone, and everyone knew it.

“Alright,” he sighed.

“Cassie?” Aly asked.

“Yeah,” she answered instantly, glad to be talking to someone sensible.

“Cassie, I know you want to help…”

“I’m not going!” Cassie snapped. It was unbelievable, Aly wanted her to go too.

“I know,” Aly said patiently. “I honestly think it would be better if you did go. They’re keeping too close a watch on us, if you get caught, you’ll be killed immediately and we can’t have that. Mark and I are wanted dead, these people will stop at nothing, I guarantee it.”

“I don’t care.”

“Cassie, it  would be easier for Mark and I to protect the rest of the supernaturals, the unknown ones, if we weren’t always worrying about what would happen to you if you were caught.”

Cassie thought that over. The things Aly was now telling her had never occurred to her. She didn’t want Aly, Mark  or anyone else to be hurt of course. “Alright,” she sighed.

“Good.” She could almost hear the smile in Aly’s voice. “You’re not allowed to come back here. Go directly to Austin. At the border you’ll meet Aaron McNair, he’ll take you in. Send Michael here, we need to talk to him. Immediately.”

“Sure,” Cassie agreed.

 

 

Aly

 

Mark glared at me. “Are you crazy? Invite the traitor to come directly into our midst, where he could learn the identity of every supernatural left in town?”

I smiled patiently at him. I could easily understand his point, and I knew that I would have the same doubts if I were in his place. “Don’t you see?” I asked. “If we bring him here, he’ll be safe and we’ll be safe while we determine what really happened.”

He nodded stiffly. He obviously didn’t approve of my decision. “I see that side of it. I wonder if you’ve even looked at the other side of it. What if he’s still a traitor? He could have forced Cassie to say those things to get in here. He could be leading a massive attack on us like he did the other day.”

“I have seen that side of it. Something tells me, though, that we should trust him, at least this once. I don’t think he was lying. Please, let me try things my way.”

“Do I have a choice?” he asked sarcastically.

I smiled at him. “No, you don’t.”

I had hoped my faint attempt at humor might release some of the tension in the room. In most circumstances he would at least smirk at me for that one. Instead, I saw anger flash briefly in his eyes.

“I know.” His voice was so cold, I nearly shivered just to hear it.

“Mark…”

He turned and walked into the other room, the alpha’s room. I watched him as he went, wishing he would just listen to and understand my point of view. I had tried to listen to his, but he wasn’t willing to listen to mine. Why was he so angry?

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

Michael called ten minutes before arriving, as arranged, and I decided it might be advisable to inform Mark of what was happening. He was angry enough already without my adding on unnecessary worries, like refusing to tell him our potential enemy was only ten minutes away.

I tapped lightly on the door, deciding that I would tell him, even if he told me to go away. Knocking on the door was mere courtesy.

“Come in, Aly,” he answered.

I opened the door and entered the room. “How did you know it was me?” I asked.

“You’re the only one who uses such a confident knock,” he answered simply.

“Oh.” I didn’t really know what to say to that one. “Michael will be here in about ten minutes.”

“Thank you.” I hated when his voice remained so formal through any conversation, but it bugged me most when he was talking to me and used it. When he was so formal it meant he was very angry. I had always hated having people angry with me, but especially Mark.

“You’re welcome,” I answered, fighting to keep the sad note from my voice. I was sure he’d see through me, directly to the hurt his coldness had caused. I turned and started out the door, figuring I could talk to him about this more later.

“Aly?” he called softly.

I turned to face him, shocked to see crystalline tears glittering in his eyes. “Yes?” I fought to keep my voice from sounding as cold as his had.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have snapped at you the way I did. You did a much better job of making these arrangements than I could have.”

I shrugged. “It’s alright.”

“No, it isn’t. I shouldn’t have reacted that way. My mother was captured today,” he said by way of explanation. 

“I’m so sorry,” I said quickly. “Whoever is after me is willing to hurt you in any way possible to get at me. But nobody really knows we’re together. Only my mother, Kat, Chris, Michael, and Cassie know. None of them would be the traitor.” Would they?

He shook his head. “Who else could it be? You said yourself, nobody else knows. What other choices do we have?”

“I don’t know,” I answered miserably. I hated to think that any of these people could be capable o hurting me this way. Especially my mother. Of course, there was always one other possibility… I couldn’t bear to think of it. Mark would never do that to me. Would he? “I can’t imagine why any of them would do that.”

“Nor can I, but it’s obvious that someone is. We have to figure out who it is and put a stop to this before more people die.”

I nodded. He was right, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to know who it was. Someone I loved and trusted had betrayed me. How could they, whoever it was? How could anyone want to hurt me enough to take anyone else down too? I didn’t know the answers to these questions, but I would have to find out.



© 2011 A.C. Wilson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on April 7, 2011
Last Updated on April 7, 2011


Author

A.C. Wilson
A.C. Wilson

About
Hey, I write historical fiction and supernatural genre's, I've loved to write my whole life, been working on it since I was about seven. They used to suck really badly, lolz, but it was a start. I.. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by A.C. Wilson