Chapter Ten Password to Death

Chapter Ten Password to Death

A Chapter by A.C. Wilson

Chapter Ten

Password to Death

 

 

Aly

 

Everything was hard now. It was hard for me to even want to wake up in the morning. Without Mark, there was no reason for anything in my life anymore. I lay in the hospital bed, waiting for them to let me get outta there so I could go home and be alone when the door opened.

“Aly?” I heard a familiar voice say.

“Mark?” I exclaimed. “I thought…”

He smiled at me. “I know, everyone did. Apparently Phoenix tears work against toxins, too. Solanine, anyway.”

“Solanine?”

“It’s in Silverleaf Nightshade. You’re the expert there. I’m surprised you didn’t know.”

I chose to ignore his joke. I had never dreamed I would be relieved to have him picking on me that way, I guess nearly losing someone changes things. I felt, in that moment, like I could never get irritated with him for teasing me again. “That’s what they gave you?” Why had they wanted to poison him?

He nodded. “Yep. That’s exactly what they gave me.”

“And Phoenix tears helped you?”

“Yeah. Listen, I gotta get outta here…”

I frowned. Why was he in such a hurry to leave? It didn’t make sense.

“Did Kat tell you what I asked her to?” he asked suddenly.

I shook my head, confused.

“I asked her to tell you that I think you’ll make a great alpha…”

“I don’t want it,” I interrupted. “Not anymore.”

He just smiled at me. “I also asked her to tell you that I love you.”

My eyes widened. Had he really just said what I thought he’d said? “Y…you w… what?” I stammered.

He leaned in quickly. “I love you,” he whispered before kissing me lightly on the lips. “Remember that, no matter what. I can’t see you anymore, it’s too dangerous. At least, if anyone catches us it will be. We can’t let anyone see us together. I’m sorry.”

I nodded. I could handle that. If being with him meant being extra careful not to let anyone see us together, so be it. Unbelievably, I loved him too. Though I’d sworn to hate him.

“I’m sorry, I have to go.” He turned to walk quickly from the room.

“I love you,” I whispered.

He glanced back at me, a happy smile on his face, just before closing the door behind him.

My heart was flying as I lay there. There was suddenly reason for everything again. Reason to live, reason to love, reason to get the heck out of here. Where was that doctor?

“Come on, come on,” I muttered impatiently.

I put my hand down on the bed next to me and felt a piece of paper there. I picked it up and looked quickly at the phone number written on it before shoving it into my book, where no one would see it. He’d already replaced his phone, no big surprise there. Michael had given me my phone back when I first woke up.

“Aly, the doctor says you can go home now. Let’s go,” Kat said excitedly, coming into the room. “Wait a minute, what’s that dreamy expression for?”

“Nothing,” I murmured. “Absolutely nothing.”

She rolled her eyes at me in an obvious ‘I know you’re lying, but I’ll keep quiet’. I was just grateful she would keep her mouth shut. Mostly anyway. She’d probably tell Chris, maybe Michael and Cassie, too. Then I laughed. What if she told Mark? The idea was comical. How would he react if she told him?

“Ok, ok, grab your stuff and let’s go!”

I grinned at her and grabbed my book off the nightstand and the bag off the floor next to the bed and followed her out the door, grateful to finally be free.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

I was shocked to realize that everything that had happened to us had taken only about three days. What kind of crazy time zone were we in while that was happening? Days seemed like weeks to me. I’d have to get back on schedule now. That sucked.

Halloween had not gone well at all. I was just relieved to be wearing my black super-skinny jeans with the red t-shirt and black corset style top over. My favorite outfit. Shame my costume had been ruined. Between the massive tear that had forced us to cut it, the mud, and everything else there was no way to save it. I’d have to find something different next time. Do I even want to go to a Halloween party next year? I asked myself. I shook my head. Halloween was no longer my favorite holiday. Probably never would be again.

I grabbed my phone off the nightstand beside my bed, it was so nice to be sitting on my own bed again, and texted Mark.

How are you? I asked.

*Shrug* Fine, I guess. Better now I’m talking to you.

I smiled, pleased by that. *Smiles* Same here. I smirked and decided to make him grin. Boy am I glad you’re not dead. I typed.

*laughs* Yeah, me too. That was random. I could just imagine the look on his face as he read that. He’d love it.

Yeah, well, I thought I’d make you smile.

It worked. How’re you?

Glad to be home. Annoyed as heck about my story, I didn’t get anything written for three days!

Ookay…You get kidnapped, and nearly killed, and you’re worried about a word count on a story?

I couldn’t help grinning at that. Fair enough. I replied.

When can I see you again? He asked.

Tonight?

Perfect.

Where? I asked curiously.

He gave the name of my favorite Italian restaurant nearby.

Mm, my favorite!

Good. Meet you there at seven tomorrow?

Perfect. I couldn’t wait now. There was a knock on my bedroom door.

“Yeah?” I called.

“Aly, dinner’s ready!” my mom answered.

“’Kay, I’ll be down in a minute.” I called back.

Sorry, I gotta eat dinner. I said.

‘Kay, I’ll see you tomorrow.

I lay the phone down on the bedside table and went downstairs for dinner. Chicken and rice, one of my top favorite meals that my mom liked to make.

 

 

 

Mark

 

He smiled and put his phone on the nightstand and went to eat his own dinner. Microwave spaghetti, oh well. Sucks when your mom can cook but never wants to bother. He thought. There was hardly any sauce and what little there was tasted like tomato sauce with no kind of seasoning. Delicious. He thought sarcastically. At least he had food. His mind flashed back to the days he’d spent locked in that cellar. He’d been sure he was dying and he’d had no food, but those had been the best days so far. The time he was able to spend with Aly.

His mother glared at him throughout the meal. He was sure she suspected he’d spent more time with Aly than she’d said was acceptable. At least he’d deleted all texts to and from her phone. He also had her listed under her pen name for the sites she posted stories under, Christy Donahue. He smiled. Nobody would know that’s who he’d really been talking to.

He finished eating as quickly as he could and went back up to his room immediately. He pulled a picture of Aly from  the pages of Frankenstein, his favorite book. She was so beautiful with her reddish-gold hair and ice blue eyes. He gazes at the picture for a long moment before slipping the picture back where it belonged and putting the book back in the drawer of his nightstand. He would see her tomorrow. At least he had that to look forward too.

His cell phone rang.

“Hello?” he asked, hoping it was Aly. Of course it wouldn’t be. She probably wouldn’t call him and he wouldn’t call her. It would be too easy to attract attention from their parents that way.

“Hey,” Kat replied. “What the heck were you gonna make me tell Aly earlier?”

Mark smiled to himself. Now he wasn’t dying, so he wasn’t really sure he wanted to let everyone know, especially since it could prove dangerous, or even fatal, for Aly if anyone found out they were together.

“Nothing,” he answered. “It doesn’t matter now. I already told her.”

“You’ve got to tell me. I’m dead curious,” Kat complained.

“It doesn’t matter now,” Mark repeated. He really didn’t want Kat to know. He loved her as a friend, but she did have a habit of talking, a lot. It would probably be best not to let her know. “Sorry, Kat, but it’s kind of a secret.”

“But you were gonna tell me before.”

“Yeah, I didn’t think I’d be able to tell her myself, I thought I was dying.”

“Fine,” Kat sighed resignedly.

“Is that the only reason you called?” he asked curiously.

“Yep. See ya!” She hung up on him immediately.

He shook his head and put the phone back on the nightstand. Ok. He thought. I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t tell her. She would have told everyone she knows. She’ll probably be calling Aly next to try and find out what I said. Wonder what she’ll say?

 

 

Aly

 

My phone rang at three the next morning, waking me up. I was unbelievably irritated. Who the heck would be calling me at three a.m.?

“Hello?” I asked.

“Hi!” Kat said brightly.

I started to panic. She wouldn’t call unless it was important, would she? “Kat? What the heck? Why are you calling me at three in the morning?”

“I wanted to ask you something…” she said. Great, she’d called at three a.m. to ask me something? What could be so important to her? More importantly, would I think it was important enough for this? At least nobody was dying.

“Ask away,” I sighed.

“What was it Mark told you that he was gonna make me tell you?”

“Did you ask him?” I asked in irritation. This was what she called to ask me?

“Yeah, he said it doesn’t matter.”

“Then it doesn’t matter. Goodnight.” I hung up. It almost felt rude to hang up on her, but, then again, she was the one who called me at three in the danged morning. Remembering that, I didn’t feel nearly as rude. I wondered what she had thought of that.

“Perfect,” I sighed. I knew now that I was up I was never going to get back to sleep. That’s the way it had always been for me. I’d never slept through the night, my mom still picked on me about that, and if I woke up before the alarm went off, I wasn’t likely to get any more sleep. And I had a date tonight. I just hoped I wouldn’t fall asleep at the table or something. Or have dark circles under my eyes. I checked in the mirror. Great, now I was paranoid. Oh well, if I did, too bad. It happens to everyone. Mark would understand.

I got out of bed, readjusting the skirt of my mid-thigh length crimson nightgown that said “Love Bites” across the front in intricately curved black lettering. It went with vampires and my favorite metal song, and walked to the desk, turning on my computer. I might as well get back to work on my book, since I wasn’t going to sleep anymore.

I typed “Don’t Pay the Ferryman” in bold black lettering across the top of the page. Nice title. Good song, too.

He was driving down the road like a maniac, trying desperately to escape the terrifying shadows that were following him. He knew not what they were; they were continually taking on different forms. One moment they would appear only as a mist following him, the next the shadows would be a mountain lion or an eagle. There was no way to tell what it truly was following him. I typed next. Hm, this was sounding pretty good so far…

Within two hours I had finished the story and had it posted online, hopefully people would read and enjoy it. One of these days I was going to actually get something published. By the time the story was done, it was time for me to go downstairs and have breakfast. That was going to be pleasant, my mother panicking if I didn’t eat as much as she thought I should. Truth of the matter was, I just wasn’t very hungry, I’d taken a couple of breaks while writing and eaten some cookies I’d baked the day before. Oatmeal butterscotch cookies, my favorite.

I pulled on my blue, not faded �" I couldn’t stand faded jeans, super-skinny jeans and a fitted black t-shirt with the name of my favorite band in silver across the front. I pulled on black high-heeled ankle boots to match and started to put my hair in a French braid. The handle of my favorite rat tail comb broke. Dang it! The best comb for this, cause it had a long, skinny handle, had broken. Of course the best one would be the super chinsy one. Oh well, I’d have to get a new comb later. I pulled my hair into a ponytail instead, annoyed that I couldn’t style it the way I wanted to.

I went downstairs and started making breakfast, pancakes with butterscotch chips and caramel sauce on top.

“Morning!” mom called as she came down the stairs.

“Morning, mom,” I answered, flipping a couple of pancakes onto a plate and taking it to the table. Mom flipped a couple onto her plate and joined me at the table.

I ate about a pancake and half, I wasn’t very hungry.

“Are you alright?” mom asked concernedly.

“I’m fine, mom, I’m just not hungry. I have a lot of writing to catch up on, I’ll see you later.” I stood up and started toward the stairs.

“Shouldn’t you eat at least another pancake?” she insisted.

“Mom,” I sighed. “I’m really just not hungry. I’ll eat more later, when I am hungry.”

“You haven’t been eating much since you got back… what did they do to you?”

“Nothing! They left me locked in the creepy old basement with Mark. That’s all.”

“Did he do anything to you?”

“No, of course not! He wouldn’t hurt me.” It infuriated me that she could even think he would ever hurt me.

“Maybe you should see a doctor…”

I groaned. She could be such a pain sometimes. “I’m fine, I just wanna work on my writing. I’ve got so much to do.”

 She bit her lip but didn’t say anything else and I walked upstairs.

Once there I pulled out a new comb and tried again to French braid my hair. It worked a little better, at least it was pretty smooth and my comb didn’t break this time around.

I sighed and sat down at my computer to work on my other stories, Eternal Darkness taking priority over any of the others. I had sent my author friend, Rose, the latest chapter for it but hadn’t heard back from her yet. Busy schedules all the way ‘round, plus, I got kidnapped. Not so good for the story word counts.

I glared at my computer screen, irritated that I couldn’t get any ideas at all. That wasn’t fun at all. I snatched my I-pod off the desk next to the computer and plugged it in, putting the rock/metal folder on shuffle. The most inspirational music for me was rock or metal, most of the time, occasionally it would be country instead. I was figuring on rock or metal today. My mood was perfect for that.

I sat there, staring at the blank page in front of me, wishing I could get something from this. My brain was so scrambled right now I doubted I’d even be able to write in my journal. Oh well. I was never going to finish this story. No. I told myself. Don’t think that way, you can make it. One bad day doesn’t mean you’ll never make it. Just keep trying. Put this one aside for now and work on something else. That was one of the things Rose had said she liked, that I would allow myself a minute or two to feel like it would never work and I wasn’t a good writer, then I’d tell myself to shut up and get back to work. That and the fact that I was willing to take advice and criticism were two things she seemed to like about me. I couldn’t be sure, of course, as she’d never actually said so, but I kinda  got that feeling. I was honestly happy and pleasantly surprised when a published author took interest in my work and was willing to help me with it. We’d even discussed the idea of writing a collaboration sometime. The idea excited me. She was at the top of my favorite authors list. What aspiring author doesn’t dream of writing a collaboration with their favorite author? Name me one and I’ll kill them.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

I couldn’t help singing as I went about my daily routine, the boring and the fun. I had the I-pod on almost all day long. It was going to need charged as soon as I was done with it, maybe sooner… Oh well, I had a back-up I-pod with more of my music on it. Weird that I have two? Well, actually, I have three. One of my friends gave me hers when she got a new one, it was practically new and in perfect condition, I paid her half price for it, it only seemed fair. The second one I got from my mom when she found it on sale cheap and grabbed it for me, so, I had split my music between them. The third I bought for myself, brand new, I decided I needed another one. I had one for rock/metal music, one for country/pop music and one for the songs that inspired my writing the most. Call me crazy if you will, but I like it. Makes it easy to keep all my stuff the way I want it.

I got about three thousand words written before I had to get ready for my date. I wanted to go prissy, but not too prissy so I pulled on my favorite knee-length brown skirt gathered at the waist and the cream colored blouse with lace trim on the cuffs and neckline. I had a pair of off white high-heeled strappy sandals to go. My hair was in a perfect French braid with a cream colored ribbon tied neatly at the bottom and an intricately woven, hand made, silver headband with pink diamonds carefully positioned to make perfect, delicate little flowers among the intricate vines. My make-up was basic, pale pink eyeshadow that set off the ice blue of my eyes to advantage, black eye-liner, mascara, and some colored lip-gloss. Perfect. I smiled as I looked in the mirror. Ready. I walked downstairs, hoping to avoid my mom. She’d ask too many questions if I ran into her. Fortunately, I made it out the door without seeing her. She must have gone upstairs. I could hear her blasting 80’s music in her room. I shrugged and kept moving, best not to tempt fate.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

 

I got out of my car and started toward the restaurant and was startled to find someone walking beside me suddenly.

“Hello,” Mark smiled as I turned to look at him.

“Hey,” I answered.

“Sorry if I startled you. I didn’t mean to.”

 “No problem.”

“Ready for dinner?”

“Yes, I think I am,” I flashed him a flirty smile.

He opened the door for me and followed me in, wrapping his arm gently around my waist.

We’d barely got our meals when the conversation started.

“So, how’re things?” he asked.

“Fine,” I shrugged. “My mom panics if I don’t eat as much she thinks I should, I’m never gonna make my word count, but other than that, no problems.”

“Alrighty then,” he smiled. “Your mom just worries about you cause she cares. I’m sorry about the word count, I wish I could help with that.”

I smiled in amusement. “Thanks. How’re you?”

He frowned. “Fine.”

“What’s wrong?” I asked in concern.

“Nothing. I was just thinking.”

“Ok.” I didn’t really believe him but he obviously didn’t want to tell me, so I wasn’t going to ask. Yet.

“What’s this book about?” he asked. I suspected he was just trying to change the subject, but I didn’t mind him asking.

“A human girl who moves to a small cursed town in Texas where only vampires and werewolves live. Because of the curse she ends up turning into an evil vampire. She has to re-locate the humanity within herself or she’ll be killed by the townspeople,” I answered. “It’s called Eternal Darkness. My friend, Rose, is helping me with it.”

“Sounds pretty cool,” he said enthusiastically. “Have you started posting it yet?”

“Yeah, I’ve got the preface and the first chapter up so far, not a lot, but so far people seem to be enjoying it.”

“Excellent, I’ll have to read it.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I want to. Unless you have some objection…?”

“No, of course I don’t. I just don’t want you to feel like you have to do anything.”

The waitress came back then. “Can I get ya’ll anything else?” she asked in a friendly manner.

Mark looked at me. The girl smiled in approval.

“No, thank you,” I answered.

She turned to him.

“No, thanks. I think we’re about ready for the check?” he looked at me again and I nodded.

“I’ll be right back.” She walked quickly away.

Ten minutes later we headed toward Zilker Park, one of my favorite places to go. It was beautiful, quiet and peaceful there. Walking the many trails seemed like a pleasant idea after a wonderful dinner. I’d never dated any guy who was willing to take me to dinner and then the park, it was always one or the other. Personally, I would pick a park any day.

We saw the playground area and I grinned.

“Hey, do you mind if we stop here for a few minutes?” I asked hopefully.

“Of course not.” He pulled carefully into a space and we got out and moved toward the playground.

I went straight for the swings. They’d always been my favorite part of the playground. I carefully tucked my skirt around my legs and started swinging. I couldn’t go as high as I wanted, but it was still fun.

Mark ran over and jumped onto the swing beside mine. He was turning his sideways and pushing me sideways.

“Stop that!” I giggled.

“Not gonna happen,” he laughed.

He wasn’t expecting me to push him back so he fell backwards off his swing.

“Ouch!” he exclaimed.

“Sorry,” I laughed.

He just grinned at me. “No real harm done.”

“We’re gonna have to come back here another time, when I’m not wearing a skirt and high-heels,” I commented.

“Absolutely,” he agreed.

We walked several trails and then drove to the little fountains they had. They were actually more like geysers. We set our shoes next to one of the little rock walls nearby and went to one of the small pools of water that were ankle deep. I held my hands demurely in front of me and smiled coyly at him before kicking as much water as I could at him.

“Hey!” he cried in surprise.

I giggled and started backing quickly away from him so he’d have a harder time getting me back. Or so I thought. He chased me right into the middle of one of the geysers. 

“Oh my gosh, that’s cold,” I exclaimed.

“Yep,” he smirked evilly.

“You’re gonna pay for that.”

“Sure I am.” He backed right into one of them as it shot the water. I laughed. He was almost wetter than I was.

We moved out of the little geysers and into the grass. He immediately started chasing me. We ran through the grass, laughing, for a while before we decided to head home.

We were heading for the car when we ran into some creepy looking guy. He was like six five, had a shaved head and multiple tattoos and piercings all over. I couldn’t put my finger on it but something about him creeped me out. I moved closer to Mark, standing almost behind him but still beside him.

The creepy guy stopped dead in front of us, blocking our path.

“Hello, Juan,” Mark said calmly. Good thing he was doing the talking, I was so freaked out I would have stuttered and my voice would have been all high and squeaky.

“The password?” the guy asked Mark.

I looked at Mark in panic. Password? To what? What was he talking about?

“Pyromania,” Mark answered quickly.

Good song. I thought absently.

The guy nodded and handed him a package wrapped in brown paper and tied with cotton twine, reminded me of old TV shows I liked to watch sometimes.

“Thanks,” Mark smiled as he took the package.

The guy nodded and walked away.

“What was that about?” I demanded as soon as the guy, Juan, was gone.

“Pack stuff, His family is the beta family,” Mark answered mysteriously.

“What kind of pack stuff?”

He frowned. “The kind I’d rather not talk about out in the open like this. I’ll explain as soon as I can.”

“Alright,” I sighed.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

“That was so fun,” I smiled as we reached the place I had left my car.

“Yeah,” he agreed. “I’ve never had more fun on a date.”

I smiled as he leaned in to kiss me. I wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him back until my phone rang.

He smirked and I groaned as he pulled away.

“Sorry,” I muttered, snatching my phone out of my purse. “Hello?”

“Aly, is everything ok? You weren’t home when I got here and I got worried.” I heard my moms panicked voice. Of course she would pick that second to call.

“I’m fine, I’m on a date, I told you I would be gone tonight.”

Mark couldn’t hide the laugh as well as he thought he could. I kicked his shin lightly. “Shut up,” I muttered.

“Sorry,” he smirked.

“Right,” my mom sighed in relief. “Sorry, what time will you be back?”

“In about thirty minutes,” I assured her. I rolled my eyes at Mark. “Worry wart,” I mouthed.

He snickered.

“Alright,” she agreed. “Who are you with?”

“My date.”

“Who is he?”

“The guy I’m out with. Why does it matter?”

“It doesn’t. I’ll see you in a little while.”

“Fine.” I hung up. “Stupid, nosy person,” I muttered irritably.

“Wasn’t that your mom?” he asked curiously.

“Yes, but that doesn’t make her any less nosy.”

He barked a laugh and I grinned.

“Anyway, I guess I should be getting home now.” I decided I’d better switch back to my good mood. “I had so much fun tonight.”

“Same here,” he smiled sweetly at me. “I don’t know when I’ll be able to get away again, but I’ll talk to you tomorrow?”

“Absolutely,” I answered. My heart was soaring. The perfect date followed by the promise of hearing his voice tomorrow.

He kissed me one last time before we each got into our cars and started for home.

I thought about our run in with Juan, the beta of the Wolflords, I still thought he was creepy. What was it about him that made my skin crawl?

I wasn’t sure, but something told me that when Mark had given him the password for the package it had also been a password to death for someone. I only hoped it wasn’t anyone I cared for, especially Mark.

 



© 2011 A.C. Wilson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
Added on April 7, 2011
Last Updated on April 7, 2011


Author

A.C. Wilson
A.C. Wilson

About
Hey, I write historical fiction and supernatural genre's, I've loved to write my whole life, been working on it since I was about seven. They used to suck really badly, lolz, but it was a start. I.. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by A.C. Wilson