Chapter 4: Escape

Chapter 4: Escape

A Chapter by Hunter C. Brown

On day of the hanging I was completely nerve-racked.  If this crazy plan failed the Egyptians would most likely torture me much worse than they already had, possibly until it killed me.
The guards led me from my cell to a large, stone courtyard on the edge of the city.  Once there, they placed me on a wooden deck with a trap door under my feet.  Then they placed a noose around my neck and shackles on my wrists.  
As the minutes passed I began sweating furiously.  Where was Herodes?  He said prisoners were always forced to watch each other's executions.  I thought about the few days Herodes had spent hastily teaching me rudimentary Egyptian that I could use in our scheme.  What if I would die before I ever got to put my knowledge to good use?
I ran over the plan in my mind while I waited, first I would ask the guards to let me to recite my will to Herodes.  Then, when he would be unshackled and allowed to walk over to me he would slip me the knife he would secretly steal from a guard on the way in.  I would use that knife to pick the locks to my shackles.  After this he would cause a distraction by pretending to faint.  In the midst commotion I would cut my noose and sneak up behind one of the guards.  Then I would slit his throat, send the entire group into a panic and we would escape into the near by city.  And the best part was, nobody would expect any of this beforehand. 
Just then, Herodes was led into the courtyard by two more guards.  What luck, we only had to deal with four guards in order to gain our freedom.  That would make this plan much simpler.  Herodes glanced up at me and with a faint smile gave me the hand signal that meant it was time to begin.
Surprisingly, it all went off without a hitch.  Just as we planned it.  First asking the guards about the will, then the knife.  Then the lock-picking and the murder.  All the way up until it was time to escape.
Just as we made it into the city and disappeared into the crowds of Giza, as the city was called, I realized something.  We had no money and no friends.  We'd be fugitives, hunted every second of the day.  If not for the murder I had just committed I might have been able to clear my name, but now that was impossible.  
Herodes quickly walked a few blocks in the city before ducking into an old, broken down shop.  It had obviously been abandoned for years.  As I followed him he told me that this was where he had hidden from the Egyptian authorities before being caught. 
"We'll be safe here for now," He said, looking tired.
"Thank you for getting me out of there," I replied, slightly embarrassed.
"Anytime," Herodes said, a grin spreading across his lips.  "We're free, finally free"
"Yes," I said. "Free."  Then said after a second, "For now at least."  


© 2011 Hunter C. Brown


Author's Note

Hunter C. Brown
after a long wait its finally here, the escape!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree with HeartOfStars. I would type it too but that's a lot to type. :) besides that, this was a very well written, interesting chapter. It really has me hooked for the rest of the book. I hope you add more soon! I really enjoyed reading this. Good job and keep on writing!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Yeah!!!! They're free for now... :) Your characters on the lamb...in a country of sand...hmm not many hiding places once they're out of the city...should make a very interesting cat and mouse game in the future...love it!!!! =)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice addition to the story, an interesting plot continuation. Overall, great work!


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very good chapter. Ecspecially after all that stress.;)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with HeartOfStars. I would type it too but that's a lot to type. :) besides that, this was a very well written, interesting chapter. It really has me hooked for the rest of the book. I hope you add more soon! I really enjoyed reading this. Good job and keep on writing!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good chapter, but I think you shouldn't have explained the escape before it happened. Let us beg he'll be freed or something and then let the plan unfold. Otherwise a good chapter, well done. I'm glad they are free. Write more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 7, 2011
Last Updated on August 7, 2011


Author

Hunter C. Brown
Hunter C. Brown

Reno, NV



About
I love writing of course, thats y i'm here isn't it? I just love it. Maybe one day i'll be published, maybe i wont. As long as i have a good time getting there who cares!!!!! Though i really would l.. more..

Writing