Corporate Morality

Corporate Morality

A Chapter by Brian
"

The morality in the American corporate world.

"
Chapter 1- Corporate Morality 
In today's society, we face a major dilemma, corporate morality, or having morals in the war like corporate world in America. As having never lived in any other nation, I can't really judge the morality of corporations in other nations. Therefore chapter one will be based on morality in the business world. Corporate morality, what in the world is that? Is it doing the right thing for the right reason during the right time, or is it about having a guilty conscience about the decisions that corporations make yearly. I can go and ramble on how it interconnects with politics, but that is for another chapter, yet to come. So again, I must ask, what is corporate morality, and are corporations being moral in their daily business, or is that we, the consumers must be moral when deciding to buy our products or services from certain corporations. 
The first point I want to talk about is the use of sweatshops and harsh working conditions used by corporation in other countries, notably asian countries where worker's wages are very low, and virtually no laws against harsh working conditions and minimum wage unlike here in the United States. Corporations use this type of cheap labor to make a certain amount of profit, because paying low wages, and earning big on the sales of products made in those sweatshops in stores here in America. It's almost a type of win/win solution isn't it, poorer people in other countries being paid, corporations making profit off the sale of products, and the American people are happy because these products are available, most of the time, year round. Everyone is happy, but are we really happy? Are we being moral when deciding which products, and which corporations to buy from? Are corporations being moral when employing cheap labors to make the American people happy? Are the governments of foreign nations being moral when they allow such practices to occur in their countries? Or even better, is our capitalist economy being moral when it allows it all to happen? Now, you can answer those based on your personal beliefs, political, social, or economical, because morality is nothing more than what YOU think is right or wrong, because we are all individuals, we all believe in different ideals, no two people are 100% alike in ideals. But back to the first point, Are we being moral when we are still buying products from corporations who employ cheap and harsh labor to make the products that we so enjoy? Most people would say that we are being immoral because we are supporting a corrupt company that allows such things to happen just to make a single million bucks every now and then. They would say that because when we buy those products, we doing nothing more than keeping that company in business, and while they are in business, they are going to employ yet more people for their greedy cause. Therefore, if it's conscience to you or not, we are, in practice, engaging in immoral acts, that go against everything we have been taught, and everything we believe in. 
Now other people would say we are being moral because what we consumers are doing, is keeping those people employed, so they can provide for their families, and once the American people stops buying products from the corporation, then they will lose their low paying (but still beneficial) wages. And once that happens, then people we revert back to no job at all, which means no money to provide for the family. Therefore, we are being moral people by keeping people employed to provide for their families. Those same people believe that we must push our self hatred of greedy corporations, and look at the bigger picture, which is the people. If you were to put up a large poster, and posted the word corporation, then posted a pin for every employee, and then last on the outside, the consumers. If you was to do that, who out numbers who, does the employee's and consumers out number the corporation itself? And that the greedy corporation relies on the little people, not the big people in charge.
So the question arises, when we want to keep people employed to provide for their families, are being moral on the notion that we want to help people, or being immoral on the notion that we are supporting a inhumane system of work? Are we really being moral when we support a corporation who doesn't care for the little people, or are we being immoral when we support the little people? 
The answers is totally left for you to decide, not me, because I am not you, you are not me, and like I said before, we are not totally alike in every aspect possible to mankind. But keep thinking on this topic, and it can, and will change the world we live in. Once we engage in critical thinking, we can forever change things we never thought we could change. 


© 2010 Brian


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting writing, this is a real moral dilemma and almost like
" to buy or not to buy"! I suppose it would be up to our own conscience as to what to do.

Posted 7 Years Ago


that was really motivating it was really good i was happy 2 read it thanxs

Posted 13 Years Ago


good job


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 25, 2010
Last Updated on October 25, 2010


Author

Brian
Brian

Bowling Green, KY



About
Im currently a student in college, majoring in biology. I love to write, but i can only write when i have the inspiration to do so. And i just tell people how i feel even when they dont want to hear i.. more..

Writing
Toleration Toleration

A Poem by Brian


Be Who You Are Be Who You Are

A Poem by Brian



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Kiss A Kiss

A Poem by RTB