Chapter 2- Adrian

Chapter 2- Adrian

A Chapter by Speckled Quil
"

a chapter of "the Shadow" narrated by Adrian Welsley.

"

The day was a mild one. Like always, I was out hunting again. I have a family to feed. Father died in a bombing, but I wish he hasn’t. If he didn’t, I’d have so much less to care about. Especially Sven. Poor kid, he never really did know who father was.

 

                I’ve strolled to a point where I could see the woods. It was barely a mile before me. I dashed into it with my spear clutched tight in my right hand. I knew almost every route throughout the forest and all the predators and all the prey. I’ve also learned not to attempt killing a beast by running up and trying to spear it. It’s how I got mauled just the other day. From a distance, the creature seemed gentle. Lesson here: don’t judge a book by its cover!

 

                Now I was in the woods. A lone deer was munching on some leaves. It’s going to make a perfect kill! I snuck forward, and hid behind a shrub. The poor deer didn’t budge. I waited for it to turn around and flung my spear at it. A perfect shot sent the deer collapsed on the hard forest floor. I ran out of my hiding place to retrieve my prey, but an interference stopped me. I aimed my glance at the beast before me, a beast like the one I got mauled by. Thickly pelted, with two arms, two legs, and claws on each paw. By the way, how did I escape that one?

 

                At a moment like this, there wasn’t time for thinking. I turned around to run from it. But it’s spotted me. I know it. I can feel the vicious eyes burning a hole through the back of my head. I revved up my engine and ran at full speed. I got to admit, I was going fast, but unfortunately, the beast was faster. I felt its claws ripping through my back in rage. I stumbled forward and fell. My hands a barrier for my wound. I’d have expected it to kill me this time, but nothing came but a deep moan followed by a thud. I turned my head back to see exactly what happened. There it was, the beast, down on the ground, dead, with an arrow deep through its chest.

               

My hands reached out for the arrow. It yanked it out of the beast’s pierced heart. How lucky I am today, to have again survived a vicious attack. This time, I even had a kill to feast upon.  I slung the beast behind my shoulders and headed for home more excited than ever.

 

                “Where do you think you’re going?” A voice claimed from nowhere. I turned around to see a ghost-like figure appearing to float between the trees. False bravery thumped within my chest and in front of my scarred back. I let out a mere and stuttered response.

 

                “H-home. Why-y-y?”

                “With my kill? I don’t think so!”

                “Y-you k-k-killed that beast?”

                “Yes.”

                “A-and  the one from last month?”

                “That was me, too, alright!”

                “You saved me? Twice?”

                “Man, you ask a lot of questions! Yes of course that was me fool! You lucky boy!”

 

                Just then I realized who I was facing. My savior. The one who prevented me from becoming beast-food. Twice. The one who let go of that arrow. And probably twice as well. I was stunned to silence which lasted a few seconds. The figure, soon however, broke it.

 

                “Well, give me my bear back!” It roared at me.

                “So this is a bear?” I replied as I gave up the beast.

                “Yeah, what you think it was?”

                “I… don’t know.”

                “You got time?”

                “Sure. Why?”

                “Feast at my ground. Us and my rebels. To this bear!”

                “Ok, I guess.”

                “Come along, then, boy! Carry the kill!”

 

                I pulled the bear behind me once more. Then I headed the other way with the shadow. Before, I thought I knew the woods well, but here is a part I’ve never seen. A giant puddle sat on the forest ground. Pink and white blossoms sprouted within it. A brown critter hopped upon the flowers and croaked. Its tongue, a giant string of glue, swatted at the insects encompassing it. Weeds grew alongside the giant puddle. I realized I’ve never explored this part of the woods. The good side, as it seemed. My new, heaven on earth!

 

                “This place is like heaven!” I exclaimed as wonder spouted out my voice.

                “Don’t tell me you’ve never been to the pond!” the figure smirked.

                “I’ve never been to the pond.”

                “I thought I said don’t tell me!”

                “I know. I was joking with you!”

                “Well I ain’t find it no funny! Boy, you watch your mouth around here. Me and ma boys do the talkin’!” Its voice was strong and cold and the words, and arrow, shot through my head.

               

                I shut up the rest of the way. Eyes darted upon the unfamiliar scenery. Leaves crumbled beneath my sandals, but the figure remained quieter than even a fox could. I examined its steps now, ever so closely. I saw nothing, however. Its feet were hidden beneath the cloak, but I was pretty convinced that it has pelts. Just like foxes. The walk appeared pretty long, but intriguing. My afternoon hunt still hasn’t came to an end, though it was now dusk. Orange and purple streaks lashed across the sky. The sun was setting. I’d normally be home by now. Home with food, enough to keep the three of us alive; me, mom, and Sven.



© 2010 Speckled Quil


Author's Note

Speckled Quil
Please comment and rate!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on March 25, 2010
Last Updated on March 25, 2010


Author

Speckled Quil
Speckled Quil

I ate it!, MA



About
I like cream cheese?!? more..

Writing