Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 5- Sven

Chapter 5- Sven

A Chapter by Speckled Quil
"

a chapter of "The Shadow" narrated by Sven Welsley.

"

Adrian, like I mentioned earlier, burst in through our door that evening with the most kill I’ve ever seen.  A smile engraved upon his face. He set the feast down on the kitchen table to meet a shock in mother’s eyes. Then he ran for me, pulled me into our room, and whispered something to me. He said he saw the shadow.

 

                We heard mother’s footsteps following from behind. They were light, so I identified them as happy. Mother found us in our room. Her smile was one in joy and curiosity.

 

                “What’s going on in here?” She asked.

                “Adrian’s telling me a story!”

                “Really? Can I hear it?”

                “Later, mom. You two have to eat first.”

                “Oh yeah, what’s with the sack on the table?”

                “That’s dinner! Already cooked too!”

                “Is that what took you so long?”

                “That’s my story! I can’t tell you yet!”

                “Sven?” Mother entreated, “Will you tell mommy?”

                “Not a word!”

                “Fine! Fine! Let’s eat hon.”

 

                Adrian’s story was safe in my mouth. Not gonna tell a soul! I’m glad Adrian’s got training time with an army. I was happy for him. Not only that, I was proud as well. But with Adrian gone, especially so early, it would mean I’d have to learn to deal with chores. I’m fine with that though. Right now, I’d do anything that allows Adrian to be free. Be happy. I mean, he is doing all that for us. For the sake of the district too.

 

                I have never, in my entire life, feasted upon such an amazing meal. My teeth grinded the meat into shreds and my tongue pushed it down my stomach. The delicious tender rolled down my throat into my stomach, but left an aftertaste when it was gone. I turned towards Adrian about to thank him for the feast, but saw, on the contrary, an almost sad expression.

 

                “What’s wrong?” I asked him.

                “You ok, sweetheart?” Mother chimed in.

                “I have some news.” Adrian let out through a sigh, “I’m going to join a rebellion.”

                “What rebellion?” Mother asked, hiding a hint of frustration.

                “One against the government.” He responded.

                “Absolutely not!” Mother screamed.

                “Why? You’ve always been complaining of how this stupid government ruined our lives! Now you don’t let me fight against them?” Adrian cracked.

                “Of course not! What if you get hurt?”

                “Mom, I’m almost eighteen! I’ll be fine!”

                “Maybe, but what about the housework?”

                “You and Sven can split it! I can’t do everything!”

                “Don’t push all that onto Sven! He’s just a boy!”

                “Fine, mom, you do the work!”

                “I can’t, remember?”

                “Oh? Why is that? Are you still too heart-broken?”

                “No! I found a job, remember? Tomorrow’s my first day!”

                “Mom, Sven will be fine doing all the work! He’s not a baby anymore either!”

                “Adrian Welsley, you do as I say and I say you are not joining any rebellion!”

                “Mom,” Adrian sighed, “You’re wrong. I can’t listen to you this time!”

                “Why so?”

                “Because I know what this family needs.” He said as he left the table, “By the way, if it weren’t for them, I’d have died already, twice!”

 

With  those words drifting around mother’s head, he marched himself out of the house again. Mother wept in regret of saying what she said to him. I tried my best to sooth her again. A waterfall of tears cascaded down her cheeks and into the bear which we didn’t touch for the rest of the meal.

 

“Your brother’s right. He always is!” Mother said through sniffles.

“Mom, just let Adrian do what he wants.”

“But, what if he gets hurt again? He said he almost died twice!”

“He won’t get hurt again, mom. He’s got a protection in that army.”

“What about all the chores, Sven? Who’s going to do those?”

I’ve got it covered mom, I’ve got it covered.”

 

Mother  grasped me into an unbreakable hug. I looked towards the window and outside. I can see Adrian sitting on the steps, listening to our conversation. A side view was all I saw, but I know that he has a pending expression. I know that he knows what is right. I know he wants to fight for freedom. Though I also know that he doesn’t want to see mother this upset and me working my back off. I want to tell him that I’ll be fine. But mother needs more help than he does right now.

 

 When mother was able to calm down, I went outside to talk to him. The sky, from an orange dusk, swells into a navy night. A silver biscuit, ever so round, lit up the silent night. Clouds rolled across the sky, its blackness blocking out the moon, then uncovering it again. My eyes withdrew a sorrowful look from Adrian’s.

 

“You alright?” I asked, placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Great. Better  than ever!” Sarcasm rang in his voice.

“Mother said yes.”

“Yes to what?”

“You joining that rebellion. I convinced her!”

“Thanks, little bro, but I ain’t goin’ to now.”

“Why not?”

“What about you? I can’t leave you with all the housework! It’s not right!”

“Adrian, I’ll be fine! I’m not a little kid anymore! I can handle it.”

“But…”

“Adrian,” I cut him off right there, “Man, you’re just like an orange! You might be hard, but as well, soft!”

“What?” I can tell he was puzzled.

“You’re a tough man. You’re gonna be one. But that’s physically! Inside, you’re softer than me! You can’t stand seeing us upset! Learn to handle it!”

“I,” He sighed, “I’m just worried about you and mother.”

“I know, man, I know! Calm down. We’ll be fine! I’m fourteen, I can handle this.”

“Thanks, Sven. You’re a good kid.”

“Not a problem, my brother. I’ve got to learn to work sooner or later.”

“Sven? My little brother?”

“Yes?”

“Where would I be without you?”

“Asleep! Tomorrow, you go find those people.”

“Alright. Thanks, Sven.”

“No problem. Now get some sleep!”

 

Together, we left the chilly night. The silver moon no longer looked so cold, instead it appeared to smile. Adrian was upset no more. Mother was also fine with him joining the rebels. And me, I felt like a miracle worker. I felt as if I can bring joy to everyone. Now that’s my job. To bring happiness around the house.



© 2010 Speckled Quil


Author's Note

Speckled Quil
Please comment and rate!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on March 25, 2010
Last Updated on March 25, 2010


Author

Speckled Quil
Speckled Quil

I ate it!, MA



About
I like cream cheese?!? more..

Writing