Chapter 4- Adrian

Chapter 4- Adrian

A Chapter by Speckled Quil
"

a chapter of "The Shadow" narrated by Adrian Welsley.

"

A warm sight of firelight seemed to welcome me to these grounds. With my naked eyes I saw through the flames a labyrinth of cabins. Roughly built with log staggering out some of the sides. Windows carved carelessly into each house. Straw was wrapped onto wooden roof panels with twine. Those houses were more pathetic than where I live, but I found the sight of them at marvelous beauty.

 

“Boys! Heads up, we’ve got ourselves a feast tonight!” Called the shadow’s voice. “You can drop the bear now.”

 

Without any hesitation, I placed the bear on the ground. I watched at a guy, skinning it with a stone knife. Then other guys lifting the feast and roasting it over the campfire. My stomach gargled and churned as it cooked. The bear didn’t take as long as I thought it would. Within minutes, the skin was a rich brown color, but well smothered in ash. The same guys retrieved our dinner from the fire. Everyone gathered around and tore at the meat of the beast. I couldn’t help but reach over and yank at a piece for myself. Even less could I wait for stuffing it in my face. The meat dropped onto my slate. I raised the feast to my mouth and felt it drop back down. Eyes of those strangers pierced me like arrows. To what I figured, the shadow’s going to make a speech.

 

“Before we start this feast here, upon this fabulous bear, I’d like to welcome a guest arrival!” The audience cheered and clapped, still nobody picked at their slates.

“This boy, this boy right here! He is the reason why, again, this meal is upon us!” The crowd roared in bitter laughter.

“For bringing us this feast, neigh as well the one before, I’d like to welcome this boy, right here!” A thunderous boom of clapping rose among the crowd again.

“Introduce yourself, boy!” The figure whispered to me.

“Uh, my name’s Welsley. Adrian Welsley and I thank everyone for this feast to the bear. I hope that nobody hates me for being here…” And with that, the crowd broke into a laughter so thunderous I swore all the birds from trees around scattered off.

“Let’s eat!” Said the figure. I, without further ado, dug into the delicious tender and ate the best food I’ve had since the bombing.

 

The meal was like none I’ve had before. With such noise arousing from every corner, everyone and their own conversations. Whatever, I’ve got no time to talk. I’ve got to finish and head home.

 

“How’s the food boy?” questioned the figure who I can tell is a small, but thin one.

“Delicious. Best food I’ve had since the bombing! Hey can I take some home with me?”

“Why?”

“I’ve got a family to feed. My mom and my brother.”

“Where’s your dad?”

“Died when the army base was bombed as well.” I said with a mouthful of bear.

“The bombing, eh?”

“Yeah. Fifteen years ago.”

“How old are you now, boy?”

“Going on eighteen. Why?”

“How would you like to join my rebellion?”

“A rebellion for what?”

“The government. We want to overthrow them!”

“Who doesn’t?”

“Those who fear them.”

“I’m sure they want to as well. They just don’t have the guts to do it!”

Well?”

“What? Oh yeah, sure, I’ll join!”

“Excellent! We’ll be training here tomorrow at fifths position…”

“What’s fifths position?”

“Around five in the morning.”

“I have to get here that early?”

“Nah, talk to your family about this. Then we talk tomorrow.”

“You make this sound like business matters!”

“No business. Just an army!”

“Ok. What time is it now?”

“Almost seven!”

“S**t! I’ve got to head home!”

“Oh yeah, don’t forget the bear!”

“Right. How much could I take?”

“As much as you want, boy.”

“Thanks. You have a container?”

“Will a sack work?”

“I guess!”

“Good bye, boy! See you tomorrow for training!”

“I’ll be here! Bye!”

 

I traced my way back home. The sack I carried behind my back, leaping as I walked. I almost forgot how I was bleeding earlier. My wounds, now dried scabs, bothered me no more. Passing the pond again, now busy with crickets chirping. And for once, I felt only happy. Not that with tired, nor happy with loneliness. Just happy. I don’t even know why!

 



© 2010 Speckled Quil


Author's Note

Speckled Quil
Please comment and rate!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on March 25, 2010
Last Updated on March 25, 2010


Author

Speckled Quil
Speckled Quil

I ate it!, MA



About
I like cream cheese?!? more..

Writing