Chapter 6- Adrian

Chapter 6- Adrian

A Chapter by Speckled Quil
"

a chapter of "The Shadow" narrated by Adrian Welsley.

"

In the crack of dawn, when a mere sunlight peaked in through the window, I awoke to another day. One where the sun just seemed more radiant. One where I’d meet a happy, new beginning. I laid on my bed with a smile still carved in my face. I got up carefully to make sure I don’t wake up Sven. Kid needs his rest as well. I tried my hardest to tiptoe on the wooden floor, downstairs, to the kitchen. And I did well, because he didn’t follow me down. I grabbed a bit of bear for the road, then found my spear and jacket. I set off to the woods to find the army. I’m going to train with them. I’m going to help them. Help the district. Help my family.

 

Walking through the cold air of dawn, I headed for the woods. Once again, I traced through familiar paths with my eyes, in hope of finding my destination. Through trees I finally got to, making a turn to the left where the pond was. The pond was quieter than last night. No creatures chirping, just a silent breeze. Leaves beneath my feet shattered. And soon, I thought I felt and saw the radiant glow of a fire. One much like the one in the evening party. Little wood cottages appeared from the distance. I took a nibble at my breakfast, still in my grip.

I thought I saw something swing by. All I knew was that my food was swept out of my hand. I still couldn’t figure out what happened to it. But a howl came from a figure in the tree before me. Rags sewn together covered him torso down. The man bared no shoes upon his feet. A bush grew from his face covering his mouth and chin. Two small black beads are all that’s visible in the place of his eyes. A quiver of arrows was tied to his back. His bow gripped in his right hand, my breakfast in his left. Broad shoulder stretched out from his stubby neck, hunks of muscle tore through his shirt. More like a potato sack to me.

 

“Very well done, Gerald! Very well done!” A husky voice front behind me alarmed.

“Thank you, master!” Said the man who I assumed was Gerald.

 “I’m sure you surprised the boy here, eh?” The voice was from the cloaked figure.

“Very much he did, yes!” I confessed.

“Well, boy, I see you’ve decided to join us!”

“Yes, you see correctly!”

“It takes true talent for one to be able to find their way back!”

“Is that a compliment?”

“Sure, if you take it as one.”

“Thank you then.”

“But! If you were to join us, you’ve still got lots of training ahead of you!”

“I thought you said you were impressed!”

“Impressed? Not exactly, young one! This man, here, is Gerald. He’s something to be truly impressed by!” I stared at Gerald for a moment, whom I realized was now standing besides us.

“Come on, boys! To campus for breakfast.”

“Wait, so I don’t have to eat before I come?”

“Course not! We serve each day!”

 

The figure let us towards campus after that. The small huts appeared again in my eyes. Orange and yellow flames arouse from a familiar pit of rocks and ashes. The smell of salted meat wandered into my nose. Already having eaten half my breakfast, I wasn’t as hungry as at dinner last night. The pink flesh of those rabbits soon roasted into a delightful golden brown. For “not as hungry”, I was drooling. On our slate trays, we were portioned with a little meat for each. This time, I hesitated a little, waiting for a possible speech. I saw before me other people digging in, I buried my own face into the hearty meal as well.

 

What was left of my meal was now a plateful of bones. I watched everyone else still nibbling away at their meal, talking, laughing, and swearing at each other. At the same time, I felt both entertained and lonely. Entertained like watching a television quarrel, but lonely as to be watching all alone. I felt some light taps on my shoulder and rotated my head away from the show.

 

“Enjoy the meal boy?” Questioned the figure once more.

“It was splendid. Thank you.” I replied.

“Pretty lonely here for you?”

“Not exactly. It’s fun watching everyone’s quarreling.”

“You’d still rather be in the quarreling, right?”

“Of course. It is lonely just watching.”

“Prove yourself worthy in practice, then!”

The figure sat down beside me. When it did, I finally realized how small this figure was. A voice, with false huskiness, and moaning still with courage. I couldn’t tell how it was feeling. Even in sunlight as radiant as today’s it’s face still remained shadowed beneath its hood. I couldn’t at all tell where it was looking. My guess was that it was staring straight ahead at the quarreling as well.

 

“So,” I started, “When do we train?”

“They know when. Do what they do!”

“Is there a time limit when eating?”

“Kinda, but they need to finish and allow time for digestion.”

“So you have a certain time to eat?”

“Yes, then a bit of free time.”

“That reminds me of when I was in preschool.”

“Really? How old are you now, boy?”

“Almost eighteen. You?”

“It ain’t necessary for you to know mine.”

“Explain.”

“I’m your master now. And what I say goes.” The voice threatened.

“Yes master… what name should I refer to you as?”

“Just master will be fine for now.”

“Yes master!”

 

Our conversation ended after that. I dazed my eyes back to the chatter of the others. Within just seconds, as it seemed, their showed died down as well. Quiet filled in the hole. The group filtered back to the tables we ate at. Everyone watched the figure stand up. Everyone was focused on the upcoming commands. Anxiety flooded through my heart. Excitement showered me. A staff was now wielded in master’s hands. A river of orders flowing out of its mouth. And I saw people scatter around campus, with their weapons, ready to train.



© 2010 Speckled Quil


Author's Note

Speckled Quil
Please comment and rate!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on March 25, 2010
Last Updated on March 25, 2010


Author

Speckled Quil
Speckled Quil

I ate it!, MA



About
I like cream cheese?!? more..

Writing